Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money out of Dairy Farming???

Options
  • 05-06-2013 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

hi,

a friend of mine is milking about 40 cows, rears all the calves until there 2 year old, and buys in about 20 cheap calves, and rears them also until there about 2.

He does all his own work, other than silage. He is a one man band, with no help. fixes all his own machinery, etc.

He owns about 65 acres of good land, and rents about 25 acres of bad land for the cattle. His palour is old enough, takes him about 1.5hrs to milk the 40 cows.

he's flat out working every day, with no time to do anything other than work, and to me, it looks like he's not making a penny.

is this sort of farming profitable, or is he doing something majorly wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

jocotty wrote: »
    hi,

a friend of mine is milking about 40 cows, rears all the calves until there 2 year old, and buys in about 20 cheap calves, and rears them also until there about 2.

He does all his own work, other than silage. He is a one man band, with no help. fixes all his own machinery, etc.

He owns about 65 acres of good land, and rents about 25 acres of bad land for the cattle. His palour is old enough, takes him about 1.5hrs to milk the 40 cows.

he's flat out working every day, with no time to do anything other than work, and to me, it looks like he's not making a penny.

Am hour and a half to milk 40 cows! Frig that!

I can only speak for myself, I am in my first year dairy farming milking 50 cows with the ambition to milk 150 in the near future and for me there is money in it, but the system has to be right and efficient. What your friend is at sounds like pure drudgery, farming doesn't have to be about hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Its definitely possible to be profitable at that scale, but you need to have a decent businesshead, which not all farmers have. The margin is much better on dairying, so once he runs a tight ship on that side of things, ie low number of carry over cows, good grass management etc etc there is no reason he can't making enough from that to live on comfortably enough (ok with a modest lifestyle!). This is assuming two important things, 1stly he has a SFP, which he would if he has been at it the last 10/15yrs, and 2ndly he has no large borrowings.

The beef side of things does not offer the same margin, moving forward post quotas if I was that farmer I'd be flogging off anything that you can't put a cluster between their legs, and aim to milk 60cows. Fire in a more modern parlour and he could milk them comfortably in under an hour. Contract out alot of the machinary jobs, like slurry etc etc, be well setup in terms of fencing/laneways/yards, and you can most certainly reduce the workload and number of hours a wk you spend farming.

But thats just my opinion, he might be perfectly happy spending most his time on the farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I guarantee you his is allot more profitable that most dairy farms if its well run. no out lay of money, no repayments and all work done inhouse. Just because he is working constantly doesnt mean he isnt as happy as a pig in sh*te. alternatively he could be married and enjoy spending as much time out of the house as possible :D

Alternatively he could build a nice new parlour and the works for say 100k buy a few bits and pieces of machinery say another 50k, double cow numbers to 80 (but he now is twice as efficient in the parlour but it takes him an hour an a half to milk 80cows), takes on more land, wears out his machinery X 2 and rips himself a new .......:D:D now thats what I call progress

farmerjack wrote: »
    farming doesn't have to be about hardship.

it sure doesn't, but give me farming hardship anyday over financial hardship, which is what has to happen to alleviate farming hardship by and large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

it sure doesn't, but give me farming hardship anyday over financial hardship, which is what has to happen to alleviate farming hardship by and large

ye could be right.

i know that he has no loans, or doesnt owe anyone any money, other than the morgage he has for his new house.

its just that he cant even afford to buy new machinery or anything, and just wondering how others do it, who have less stock, get contractors in to do all the work, and then you see with new tractors , slatted houses, palours etc.

• Advertisement

ye could be right.

i know that he has no loans, or doesnt owe anyone any money, other than the morgage he has for his new house.

its just that he cant even afford to buy new machinery or anything, and just wondering how others do it, who have less stock, get contractors in to do all the work, and then you see with new tractors , slatted houses, palours etc.

auld money, site money, hard work,big loans or easy finance. take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭mf240

ye could be right.

All flash and no cash. Your friend is smarter than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

How exactly do you know that he cant afford new stuff ? If you were to listen to my father you would think that he couldnt afford tomorrows dinner .
    But he milked thirty cows all his life without borrowings and did ok without them too .
    The cutest farmers around arent always driving the newest tractor/car or have an acre of concrete or sheds full of cattle.
    Anyone working flat out all their life most probably just likes work because if there is any bit of laziness in them they will always find an easier way of life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

hi,

Definitely profitable and if he has a good head he may have more than your average 100 cow dairy man! Why wouldn't it be as long as he is somewhat efficient. If prices bottom out he has no loans so not a big deal when everything paid for. The problems arise when there are big loans to be paid.
    I'd say he knows no different and doesn't want it any other way. Only time he will change is when he's in d grave. Not my cup of tea mind but then us younger generation are soft!

thanks lads, you are all thinking along the same lines as me - but for a while i was wondering was it only me that was thinking like this.

ye are definitely correct in what ye are saying, and i am glad to hear ye'r opinions on this.

fair play to ye , and thanks.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Alternatively he could build a nice new parlour and the works for say 100k buy a few bits and pieces of machinery say another 50k, double cow numbers to 80 (but he now is twice as efficient in the parlour but it takes him an hour an a half to milk 80cows), takes on more land, wears out his machinery X 2 and rips himself a new .......:D:D now thats what I call progress

Hmm I see where all of yous are coming from in terms of going too far with the borrowings/stocking rates etc etc! But there certainly is a happy medium in the middle, in my view if that chap currently has 40cows, has the land to push that number up to say 60 post quotas if he ditches the whole beef side of things, put himself in a new parlour (and currently milking 40 in 90mins, sounds as if he could do with an upgrade), without going crazy on the borrowing side at all he would be able to reduce his overall workload (for dairycows, there is almost no difference between 40 and 60 in numbers, and then no beef side).

I'm not at all saying this is what he should do, if he is happy at 40 then thats fine, but pushing out from 40 to 60cows, in most cases isn't the incredible risk that some of you's appear to be making it out to be.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm I see where all of yous are coming from in terms of going too far with the borrowings/stocking rates etc etc! But there certainly is a happy medium in the middle, in my view if that chap currently has 40cows, has the land to push that number up to say 60 post quotas if he ditches the whole beef side of things, put himself in a new parlour (and currently milking 40 in 90mins, sounds as if he could do with an upgrade), without going crazy on the borrowing side at all he would be able to reduce his overall workload (for dairycows, there is almost no difference between 40 and 60 in numbers, and then no beef side).

I'm not at all saying this is what he should do, if he is happy at 40 then thats fine, but pushing out from 40 to 60cows, in most cases isn't the incredible risk that some of you's appear to be making it out to be.

I agree with you on this one. If he put a value on his life/lifestyle, wouldn't he have a happier and more fruitful life??

I agree with you on this one. If he put a value on his life/lifestyle, wouldn't he have a happier and more fruitful life??

ya, but he recons he wouldnt do without the beef, as he always cattle to sell whenever he needs some extra cash, when the cows might not be milkin much .

he has taut about it, and went up to about 45 cows there once, but went back to 40 again, buying in the 20 extra cheap calves to rear, and sell the beef when ever he needs . says it works out better.

he doesnt spend a penny on nuts or anything on the cattle, once the pass about a year old! they wouldnt be the best cattle, but he makes more he says then people who are pumping the hell out of them with nuts .

ya, but he recons he wouldnt do without the beef, as he always cattle to sell whenever he needs some extra cash, when the cows might not be milkin much .

he has taut about it, and went up to about 45 cows there once, but went back to 40 again, buying in the 20 extra cheap calves to rear, and sell the beef when ever he needs . says it works out better.

he doesnt spend a penny on nuts or anything on the cattle, once the pass about a year old! they wouldnt be the best cattle, but he makes more he says then people who are pumping the hell out of them with nuts .

Yes that is a fair point however if he went for more dairy and applied himself methodically to it he would have spare cash to offset the low price years, there is Hugh management to get and keep a dairy herd profitable, not everyone can do it

Yes that is a fair point however if he went for more dairy and applied himself methodically to it he would have spare cash to offset the low price years, there is Hugh management to get and keep a dairy herd profitable, not everyone can do it

ya, your probably right .
    he's been milking since he was 16, which was nearly 20 years ago.
    brought the heard up from 20 to 40, as well as triple the amount of cattle he keeps.
    so, how can he make it more profitable??
    whats he doing wrong that its not more profitable??

ya, your probably right .
    he's been milking since he was 16, which was nearly 20 years ago.
    brought the heard up from 20 to 40, as well as triple the amount of cattle he keeps.
    so, how can he make it more profitable??
    whats he doing wrong that its not more profitable??

do you know he is not profitable in the first place ???

do you know he is not profitable in the first place ???

just comparing him to other guys I know with similar size farms, if not smaller , who are going off buying new tractors, work almost 20k, and lots more with it, which to be honest is nearly most dairy farmers in Ireland these days.

this guy still drivin and old Ford 7000!!! and I know for a fact that he's not lumpin it up.

he's paying his mortgage, owes no one any money, living very basically, and that's it - no other luxuries what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If he is happy thats the main thing, he could change things but maybe he has peace of mind with what he presently does.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

just comparing him to other guys I know with similar size farms, if not smaller , who are going off buying new tractors, work almost 20k, and lots more with it, which to be honest is nearly most dairy farmers in Ireland these days.

this guy still drivin and old Ford 7000!!! and I know for a fact that he's not lumpin it up.

he's paying his mortgage, owes no one any money, living very basically, and that's it - no other luxuries what so ever.

These guys going of buying new tractors might not have a cent to spare whereas your neighbor in the Ford 7000 could be swimming in cash! I remember not so long ago a trades man driving around in a BMW X5 and now he has an old Toyota Avensis! Just because someone is spending money does not mean they have the money!

he could just be a saver and you dont know. You never know the depth of another mans pocket

• Advertisement

he could just be a saver and you dont know. You never know the depth of another mans pocket

If he's happy then that's all that matters, who cares what others drive or buy

Sure a ford 7000 is a fine lump of a tractor , no electrics or anything to bother you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

moy83 wrote: »
    Sure a ford 7000 is a fine lump of a tractor , no electrics or anything to bother you :p

94 ponies, more than he'll ever need by the sounds of things. Can't understand the lads buying new tractors, and putting 300 hours up every year, with a monthly payment bigger than they make in a year from farming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Damo810 wrote: »
    94 ponies, more than he'll ever need by the sounds of things. Can't understand the lads buying new tractors, and putting 300 hours up every year, with a monthly payment bigger than they make in a year from farming..
    its so people can talk about them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i have a fiat with a loader and a jeep milkin 90 cows gona expand but not with machinery, cant understand lads with s""t loads of machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭cjpm

Still driving one myself........

Oh the shame!!

cjpm wrote: »
    Still driving one myself........

Oh the shame!!
    You mut feel like a bet-down going up the road in it :rolleyes:
    I did a job for a fella one time that was feeding alot of cattle on two farms with a bad looking 165 . He said he knew the neighbours thought he was "mane" but he didnt give a **** because he had a rolls royce in the kitchen that none of them had (a fine lump of an Aga ):D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

This guy seems like he is fairly smart and if he has no debt probably gets a good nights sleep.Read somewhere once about a guy buying a new tractor and silage outfit for his own use and after so many years most was only scrap and if he had put same money into land would be alot wealthier and have something at end.So i would be taking notes from this fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

moy83 wrote: »
    He said he knew the neighbours thought he was "mane" but he didnt give a **** because he had a rolls royce in the kitchen that none of them had (a fine lump of an Aga ):D

I surely thought you were going to say his wife.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Christ were milking 60 cows and we only have a Ford 6600! We must be losing money!! This is the problem I see with Irish dairy farming, everyone thinks they need to go bigger to make money, the first thing you have to do is be efficient, control your costs and don't spend needless money on stupid things. I'd say that guy runs a fine outfit and is as happy as a pig in ****e, if he went off and spent 50k on a new tractor how would he make more money? He would be worse off, new tractor will drink more diesel, more expensive to run/service/fix and still only do the same job. Sure he would be able to listen to joe Duffy while spreading fert but that won't make him anything. He will be worse off. Typical Irish attitude, got to keep up with the neighbours.

Advertisement