Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stung by weever fish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Any waters that are warm and shallow (usually from knee depth down), doesn't have to be calm unfortunately.. But shaking up the sand, casting shadows in-front of where you walk and dragging your feet all might work, thing is we are entering their world and as far as they know we are a predator, so the little feckers sting us!
    And I don't mean to be pedantic but Tullaghan is the town land west of Bundoran, Tullan Strand is the beach to the east with the cliff..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

pauld81 wrote: »
    Any waters that are warm and shallow (usually from knee depth down), doesn't have to be calm unfortunately.. But shaking up the sand, casting shadows in-front of where you walk and dragging your feet all might work, thing is we are entering their world and as far as they know we are a predator, so the little feckers sting us!
    And I don't mean to be pedantic but Tullaghan is the town land west of Bundoran, Tullan Strand is the beach to the east with the cliff..

Sorry Tullan, been surfing it for years you think I would get it right.

I find myself generally shaking up the sand as I go until I get up on the board and start paddeling. The weaver fish look so small and inconspicuous but sure can pack a punch

• Registered Users Posts: 8 justme83

I was stung yesterday and thankfully my foot didnt swell up. I thought I had stood on glass initially. The pain spread pretty quickly through my foot. It is still very tender. Does anyone know how long this will go on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

Got stung a couple of weeks back but it wasn't that painful at all as most people make it out to be, no swelling or anything. Still have a black dot on my foot from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ray doyle

are they weever fish are stone fish off the coast of waterford???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

ray doyle wrote: »
    are they weever fish are stone fish off the coast of waterford???

Weever fish can be issue in Waterford in the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

rodento wrote: »
    Weever fish can be issue in Waterford in the summer months

I got a blast of a weever fish at fanore today. On my big toe just beyond the low water mark. Stung like hell for an hour. My wife squeezed some of the venom out so maybe that helped it recover that bit faster. It's tingling now a bit.

I didn't expect them to be around this early but then the water was really warm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Akrasia wrote: »
    I got a blast of a weever fish at fanore today. On my big toe just beyond the low water mark. Stung like hell for an hour. My wife squeezed some of the venom out so maybe that helped it recover that bit faster. It's tingling now a bit.

I didn't expect them to be around this early but then the water was really warm today.

Squeezing shouldn't work as its protein rather than a venom, hot water is hat you need

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Akrasia wrote:

Fanore is dotted with weaver fish,I went snorkeling there and it's full of them buried in the sand.

The greater weaver is also there.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Will wetsuit booties protect from weever fish stings ? What I'm asking really is has anyone been stung while wearing booties ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

I was asking a lad in a surf school that very question recently as we shuffled up and down the shallows.
    He's seen it happen once, but it would have went through the neoprene on the top rather then the rubber on the bottom

Advertisement