Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They make it hard to like them....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pulled into a local village shop today had a browse around ,picked up some goods and headed for the till,ahead of me was a couple of English tourists explaining to her that they were from Lincolnshire ,the girl at the till asked for 9.49 euros the English guy then says "ok no prob its only Mickey Mouse money anyway, i thought have a care English guy were a country in recession here and that money you refer to as Mickey Mouse is a valuable commodity in my house ,and also that Mickey Mouse money is used as currency in one the most powerful economies in europe,so to cut to the chase arent the English hard to appreciate? or am i wrong?

After Hours is getting stupider by the day

I always call foreign currency monopoly money :confused:

I called the euro 'holiday money' and 'monopoly money' when it first came in. I call the new fiver monopoly money.

This is up there with one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read in AH. Like....what?

But yeh, tar a whole country there OP, sure that's definitely better than saying 'Micky Mouse Money'.

Yeah, because no Irish person has ever been obnoxious abroad. I think judging the millions of British people on the back of the behaviour of a couple of knobends is a totally reasonable thing to do, yeah. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pulled into a local village shop today had a browse around ,picked up some goods and headed for the till,ahead of me was a couple of English tourists explaining to her that they were from Lincolnshire ,the girl at the till asked for 9.49 euros the English guy then says "ok no prob its only Mickey Mouse money anyway, i thought have a care English guy were a country in recession here and that money you refer to as Mickey Mouse is a valuable commodity in my house ,and also that Mickey Mouse money is used as currency in one the most powerful economies in europe,so to cut to the chase arent the English hard to appreciate? or am i wrong?

They were probably from Sc*nthorpe, Lincs....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, whilst backpacking myself and friends used to refer to foreign currency as jibjabs. mainly because we went through so many that it was easier than remembering the names. But, we wouldn't have called them that in front of the locals. that's just rude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think we should return to 'the goat standard'. Actual goats though and not paper that represents goats.
    The proposal has some merits. Goats do have intrinsic value. But there is the problem of deflation if everyone can produce more goats. And suppose someone starts breeding mini-goats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

They're tourists. You don't have to like them, you just get to take their money. It'll still be here after they're gone. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ah, the English. I love them. So cutesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Isn't the sterling on a serious dip recently anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't get OPs point. Is it that they called his beloved Euro 'Mickey Mouse'? Sure when I have sterling I often call it 'Monopoly money'; all it means it that it doesn't seem 'real' because it's not the currency you're used to, and I have never come across anyone making such a big deal of it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

They were probably just conservative types who dislike the EU because the Daily Mail told them to. I doubt this was a swipe at Ireland; it was aimed squarely at Brussels.

And you shouldn't judge 70 million people on the actions of two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I think we should return to 'the goat standard'. Actual goats though and not paper that represents goats.

You would like that alright, something to trade and love ;-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

He has a point. It's printed on crappy paper that doesn't last p*ssing time, esp the 5 euro notes.
    Aussie plastic notes FTW, they survive washing machines quite well.

Don't get me started on the little sh*tty brown coins.

Designs on notes are bland boring architectural features that aren't intended to represent a specific building anywhere, in case one of the EU countries gets in a strop about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

He has a point. It's printed on crappy paper that doesn't last p*ssing time, esp the 5 euro notes.
    Aussie plastic notes FTW, they survive washing machines quite well.

Designs on notes are bland boring architectural features that aren't intended to represent a specific building anywhere, in case one of the EU countries gets in a strop about it.

Fun fact: euro banknotes are made out of cotton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

It's reminiscent of a line in McCarthy's Bar that goes something like this:

"Funny farking place, innit? They got their own manny and everyfing."

As for Lincolnshire, it produced both Isaac Newton and Margaret Thatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I'm from Donegal, we love the queen's head here, bite your hand off for it.

I'm also drunk so I'd bite your hand anyway.:pac:

Luis?? Is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

gallag wrote: »
    You would like that alright, something to trade and love ;-P

And if one of my beautiful goats seen you approaching they'd be all like:

n'shit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, whilst backpacking myself and friends used to refer to foreign currency as jibjabs. mainly because we went through so many that it was easier than remembering the names. But, we wouldn't have called them that in front of the locals. that's just rude.

dingdongs for me but yeah - the same.....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

When i first seen american money i thought it wasn't actully money. Just seen a cuple of doller bills on the table and thought they might have been from the moneply board or something.

It is no biggy. Any curency that isn't my own looks strange to me. Micky mouse money or monoply money isn't insulting imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

OP, you didn't by any chance ask for directions home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

is anyone else thinking someones on a AH wind up/doing a bit of stirring tonight?

Idle chat maybe.Sounds like you have a >bag of chips< on your shoulder.

Don't stress the small things OP.
    hope its not a big bag of chips,hes got enough to worry about moderating PI than to indulge in the art of boardsie surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

You saw 1 person from 1 particular country being a bit of a dick then you lump all the other people from that same country into that label i.e ''them''. Interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

the english are great.

OP, you do know that the new fiver came in very recently, and maybe he was referring to that, because it looks like nonsense money. tiny note with a silly looking "5" on it. mickey mouse money.

he was right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The euro was worth about 66p for many years.

Then sterling fell, a lot, after 2007/08.

So the euro rose to 80p during 2008.

It rose further, to about 90p during 2009.

Over the last year, it has floated between about 80-87p.

Sterling has depreciated a lot over the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Oh thats cleared that up

Had it not occurred to you already? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It is obnoxious for a tourist to make such remarks about a currency of the country in which they are visiting. It doesn't matter if it is going through trouble or not, its just not done. This is especially true when you say it to a native because what the insult boils down to is "you work for and value something which I consider to be worthless"

I wouldn't call Sterling or Dollars or any other currency micky mouse money, funny money or anything else when I'm abroad because I'm not a gob****e tourist.

Advertisement