Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking and rugby

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

rooney30 wrote: »
    Premiership footballers do go out , but boozing is clamped down on with fines ,threat of transfer etc. Just look at united under fergie. Robbie keane was given the door at spurs soon after organising a night out in coppers.

The boozing culture is still more accepted in professional rugby, probably a legacy of the amateur days. This will change with time I'm sure. Just read Rogs and BODs books, stories of the sessions they went on are legendary.
    You might say the same about Paul McGrath , Niall quinn etc , and you'd be right but this was in a different era.

Booze (in the sense of beer) is below footballers rooney30. It's more likely coke & champagne. They're not exactly short of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Swiwi wrote: »
    Booze (in the sense of beer) is below footballers rooney30. It's more likely coke & champagne. They're not exactly short of cash.

After the Euros last year, when Ireland had arrived home, there was about a dozen players seen falling out of the Chancery Inn at 10am. Its an early house on the quays. I suppose it was the end of their season and they were drowning their sorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

After the Euros last year, when Ireland had arrived home, there was about a dozen players seen falling out of the Chancery Inn at 10am. Its an early house on the quays. I suppose it was the end of their season and they were drowning their sorrows.

End of a season, who can blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Are you sure they hadn't been drinking during the tournament?!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I also remember reading before that they had awful problems with Donncha O'Callaghan giving up before...put him on an allowance of 5 a week or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Depp wrote: »
    I also remember reading before that they had awful problems with Donncha O'Callaghan giving up before...put him on an allowance of 5 a week or something like that

Are you sure? He's the last player I'd have thought smoked. He's notoriously regimented and disciplined when it comes to his fitness and health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Buer wrote: »
    Are you sure? He's the last player I'd have thought smoked. He's notoriously regimented and disciplined when it comes to his fitness and health.

I agree with this, DOC is extremely disciplined I read his book. Running the roads after training etc, they had to stop him training so hard. He is also a teetotaller, so dont think he would smoke, its usually alcohol that decreases their inhibitions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Zebo smokes , has stopped regularly on way home to cork from limerick in my local shop for twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I remember hearing that contepomi was a regular smoker
    Btw a social smoker is just another word for a sponge who scabs all your smokes when your out smoking

Advertisement