Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could press a button and cease to exist

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Nope, suicide is always a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I agree suicide is never the solution but I hate this quote...maybe it's the depression in me talking. I'm only 21 so I don't think 21 years is in any way "permanant" - I could wake up this time next year and be in a much happier place (I hope to God, anyway..) but I've met 60 year olds who have been suffering from depression all their lives....tell me that's not a permanant problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Zillah wrote: »
    You should talk to someone about your depression. Healthy people don't fantasise about ceasing to exist.

In context with this thread, that is one idiotic post of yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Ham Wallet

Zillah wrote: »
    You should talk to someone about your depression. Healthy people don't fantasise about ceasing to exist.

Covering up something there Zillah? I think its perfectly natural to ponder the possibility of ceasing to exist.

Yes, definitely.
    If there was zero physical pain to myself and zero emotional pain to others then it would be a perfect way of leaving the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

sxt wrote: »
    Do you think you would press it?
    Nope, I'd contact the manufacturer and get a few made for other people.
    Then stack them into an arcade cabinet and be all like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

That would be one remote id take the batteries out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Some ****ed up threads in here tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Yeah, when I'm 80 or so and I can't rely on myself to live anymore. Sounds like a nice way to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wasn't this in a twilight zone episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I think it was Sylvia Plath who once alluded to the fact that the very fact she experienced continuous negative emotions was actually a positive given that feeling nothing at all can never be positive. In other words, experience, whether it appears positive or negative on the outside, is actually a positive compared to non-experience. Then again though, Plath eventually killed herself by placing her head in an oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Then again though, Plath eventually killed herself by placing her head in an oven.

Don't forget the woman who her husband Ted Huges married after her death; she killed herself in the exact same way, after mirroring parts of Sylvia's life.

Yeah.... I have the LC in a few days..... I know all about Plath :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Don't forget the woman who her husband Ted Huges married after her death; she killed herself in the exact same way, after mirroring parts of Sylvia's life.

Yeah.... I have the LC in a few days..... I know all about Plath :)

It's been about 6 years since I did the LC - so you won't forget her in a hurry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The button would be preferable to any other way of going out, not sure there's much of a rush, but I'd press it tomorrow if I knew not doing so would condemn me to a slow, painful and undignified death later because nobody would be allowed press the button for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

It's been about 6 years since I did the LC - so you won't forget her in a hurry. ;)

I actually quite like her poetry. As dark and "depressing" it may be, you can't help but admire her tackling of themes. She's by no means a Hopkins level thematic poet, but she's well up there.

Anyway, push the button and all that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Nope, suicide is always a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Tell that to someone who has to wear a colostomy bag.

Some problems are permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

No,but I would push it for some of the ***** who I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

sxt wrote: »
    ..causing zero physical or emotional pain to yourself or anybody ..just vanish and edited out as if you never existed , Do you think you would press it?

* Edited *

Maybe such a button exists. How would you know??

It'd be great, actually. Imagine if it had a timer that blinked you back into existence after a set amount of time. It'd be an interesting way to spend the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

*presses button.....*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Without hesitation, I press it the first chance i got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement