Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Count me in as someone who wants an older Doctor with a male companion.
    How about an older male companion.
    BRING BACK WILF!!!! :p
    I'm with Killer_banana with this one, yes Matt has been a fantastic Doctor and was what the show needed back in 2010, even though we didn't realise it ourselves. I see the situation now, akin to that of Jon Pertwee's final season. Aside from the first season with Caroline John as Liz Shaw, The Third Doctor's default companion was Jo Grant played by Katy Manning and then when Elisabeth Sladen came along as Sarah Jane Smith, while the pairing worked well, it really took off when he regenerated into Tom Baker to become one of the most loved Doctor/Companion pairings of all time. Likewise here, Matt was fantastic (absolutely fantastic, and you know what....sorry drifting) with his story with the Ponds, but for me the story of the 11th ended there. This Clara arc and Name of the Doctor is now just laying the tracks for the 50th and the run of the 12th Doctor.

With regards to whether or not Steven Moffat should be in charge of this change I remain hopeful for a surprise. I'll be honest here and thought back in 2009 that Murray Gold shouldn't be kept on for the music score. I was wrong, it's almost unimaginable to think of the 11th Doctor saving the day without that iconic 'I Am The Doctor" running through your head.

I've loved Matt Smith's run and I think nicking it in the bud now will only help preserve my love for this series.
    Geronimo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

flazio wrote: »
    I've loved Matt Smith's run and I think nicking it in the bud now will only help preserve my love for this series.
    Geronimo.

A Doctor change could be great yeah. Could take the Coleman/Doctor to a new level. But I guess it's also a massive gamble. Not that they had a choice. If he wants to go then he wants to go. He's been great...better than great imo.

So much pressure now to pick the right Doctor. I hope they get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ..and at least it's not going to be dragged out for ages like 10. No sentimental claptrap, please.

I think that's a given; Smith's Doctor has been known to poke the odd bit of cheeky fun at some of the tropes that lined RTD/DT's era on Who.

Key examples being him dismissing the Time War as 'just a bad day'. Also, during the wedding to River, him openly scoffing at a universe crying out to help him. Then there's the 'Cyber-King marching through the middle of London; how could I be so stupid?' bit during the 'cracks in time' arc.

I imagine this all point to 11 going out in a more traditional manner; a brave man doing a brave thing, and not mourning the loss of himself.

I still feel like I'm getting to know 11, really. Though, technically, he'll have been one of the longer serving Doctors; considering he was 1200 by the time he went to the beach to meet his wife. Yes, I'm rambling, I'm in unjustifiable bits over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

brianon wrote: »
    Totally gutted. I was sure he was back for (at least) one more season :(

I am unsure as to how to break this news to my 6 year old daughter. She's gonna be in tears for sure. She has grown up with Matt Smith (well she is only 6). Her love for Doctor Who started with Amy Pond and she is now a huge fan. Watches about two random episodes a day. I read her Doctor Who books at night. I hope at least Coleman stays on.

Matt Smith has been fantastic. Yes, some episodes have been a little lacking but I find repeated viewing has helped every episode. I was so excited for Season 7 part II (Christmas 2012 onwards) and never felt that Coleman & Smith really totally hit it off. Although there were times i think that was just down to the story/script.

Man, this has really ruined my day. Chin up though. Hopefully #12 can (like most of the Doctors) make us not forget the previous, but love the new and forever fondly remember their predecessor.

*Was holding out buying the blu-rays but gonna pick up Season 7(pt II) asap.

Coleman hasn't said she's leaving. They often keep the companion when changing to doctor in the modern series. ( well 11 started with Amy but 10 was nursed by Rose)

I suppose if she accepts the new doctor the idea is , we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well,it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to her as she has seen all 11 of him up until then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

I'd kinda like to see Stephen Fry as The Doctor. I'm not sure if it would work but I would like to see his take on The Doctor. There would also be no worries about flirting with his young female companions :) The males companions on the other hand.

As someone who came to Dr Who as an adult and with Eccelestone. I think

Eccelestone was brilliant. And dark.
    Tennant was better, although cliched towards the end.

Smith was The Doctor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chin up though.
    Hmm maybe not such a good choice of words there for Matt. :D

I think I mentioned the suspish he wouldn't be around for long. That said he defo grew into the role for me and I really didn't like him at the start. Personally I've have a different top three countdown to DH, I'd have Eccelestone followed by Tennant, with Smith coming behind, but a lot closer behind Tennant than I first imagined.

IMHO I reckon Matt is doing the right thing leaving now, both for his career(most importantly) and the show. For me Eccelestone left too soon(and apparently under a cloud), Tennant stayed just that little bit too long, but Smith has timed it just right or near enough to damn it*. Clara staying on should bridge the gap nicely. Worked for Rose and the 9Th to 10th. Again for me 10th to 11th was a bit of a clear the decks/bah humbug jolt for me. I would have preferred if Amy had met 10 then dealt with 11 coming along(maybe met 10 as a child, he asks her to wait and comes back as 11. Cue WTF on Amy's behalf :)).

*fans/audiences can be fickle things. Though the general audience dug her, I think fans would have had far more time in their collective memories of Rose if she had been left on that beach for good. Tennants departure should have been sad and a celebration of his tenure, but instead the awful dragging out of the whole thing soured it for many, if not most. Fair play to Tennant that even that didn't destroy the goodwill towards him in the role. Matt will avoid all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

misslt wrote: »
    I wonder will it be john hurt...

I hoped it would be after the season finale but fans seem skeptical.

Moffat said that the search is ongoing and the person to play the Doctor doesn't know it yet. I suppose they could have not asked Hurt to do the role permanently but do you think the BBC could afford him on top of all the flashy special effects?

• Advertisement

silentrust wrote: »
    I hoped it would be after the season finale but fans seem skeptical.

Moffat said that the search is ongoing and the person to play the Doctor doesn't know it yet. I suppose they could have not asked Hurt to do the role permanently but do you think the BBC could afford him on top of all the flashy special effects?

He wouldn't be more expensive than anyone else?

Also I am very excited to see what Smith is doing next, apparently he is going to be a bad guy which is great because I think he would make a superb villain! :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

silentrust wrote: »
    Also I am very excited to see what Smith is doing next, apparently he is going to be a bad guy which is great because I think he would make a superb villain! :-)

He's currently filming something with Ryan Gosling directing. Christina Hendricks is playing his Ma. :pac:

I think he's playing some sort of rapper... :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He wouldn't be more expensive than anyone else?
    Oh I'd say Hurt would be significantly more pricey than a jobbing actor on the periphery. His agents would want big money to get a season out of him. A star of stage - he personally knew Sammy Beckett FFS - and screen - both in the US and elsewhere, nominated for oscars and won one of the feckers - of his background? I'd reckon the money left over for the effects would make the 60's Who look cutting edge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, its worth remembering that Doctor Who's budget is much reduced from the RTD era, so any new Doc will have to come cheap, almost guaranteeing it'll be someone leftfield and unknown. John Hurt definitely doesn't qualify on that score. Nor would Cucumberbatch at this juncture! :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, its worth remembering that Doctor Who's budget is much reduced from the RTD era
    Oh really? Then fair play to the crew and production folks, cos it looks like the budget went up, not down. Hell they've even been to the US to shoot stuff.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I'd say Hurt would be significantly more pricey than a jobbing actor on the periphery. His agents would want big money to get a season out of him. A star of stage - he personally knew Sammy Beckett FFS - and screen - both in the US and elsewhere, nominated for oscars and won one of the feckers - of his background? I'd reckon the money left over for the effects would make the 60's Who look cutting edge.

But that's sentiment. Does he really put bums on seats in movies anymore and why would he reject 4 years of solid - more than you or I could earn in 2 decades - pay for whatever movie offers he is getting now?

I doubt it would be him but I can't see the expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh really? Then fair play to the crew and production folks, cos it looks like the budget went up, not down. Hell they've even been to the US to shoot stuff.
    That was with the help of BBC America which is a separate commercial venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Ah, I think Smith's 'boyish' 'charm' had taken the character as far as possible. Time for a new Doctor and well done Matt Smith for bowing out with timely grace.

I agree with others here - a return to an older Doctor would be nice.

It won't be Hurt, though. As epic a thing as that would be, Hurt is that bit too old, that bit too famous - that bit too 'oh-my-God-is-that-the-legendary-John-Hurt-no-way!!' - to be a new Doctor.

Part of me would like the idea that Smith turns out to really be Doc 12 and that they way they write around it involves casting Sean Pertwee as the Doc. The man is so similar-but-different to Doc 3, I think it would be a nice story device. Would also open the show to be more action/horror orientated, which would be a nice break.

But my heart knows that won't happen - that era of running around rock-quarries performing strained judo stunts is gone.

The same way that, even though I've spent 15 years wishing and hoping to see Richard E. Grant take his rightful place as a snobbish and didactic doctor (Sherlock in space), it won't happen. That would be too big a departure for the newer fans.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to the change.

I just hope the Beeb won't see the comedic turn of Smith as some sort of vindication of the Grade philosophy from the 80s and lead us to plumb the depths of buffoonery with some chiseled-faced teenager for the next four years.

Oh I am 60% certain that Matt is number 12. And therefore the "last" until the 50th solves that with a new regeneration

Oh I am 60% certain that Matt is number 12. And therefore the "last" until the 50th solves that with a new regeneration

As I understand it, Hurt is playing a past regeneration of the Doctor as you said, although I believe Smith will regenerate during the Xmas special not for the 50th... Presumably they'll be two separate programmes?

• Advertisement

But that's sentiment. Does he really put bums on seats in movies anymore and why would he reject 4 years of solid - more than you or I could earn in 2 decades - pay for whatever movie offers he is getting now?

I doubt it would be him but I can't see the expense.

He wouldn't do that for precisely the reasons you say - if he gets locked into a four year contract for middling pay by his standards he can't appear in any big budget films like he already has with V for Vendetta, Harry Potter, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy etc. in exchange for several fat pay cheques.

As a one off though it's great to see him and such a shame the Beeb can't afford to keep him on the payroll for longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Perfect quote I think to sum Matt up
    Steven mentioned the fez to Piers and I before he even wrote it. He said, "I’m thinking of putting Matt in a fez in episode 13." And of course both Piers' and my jaws hit the floor and went “A fez? You’re kidding me, you’re going to put Matt in a fez? If we put Matt in a fez, Matt will never take the fez off. He will want to wear the fez for the whole of the next series. It will be glued to his head. He’ll be wearing it, you know, with his own clothes. It will be a nightmare.” And he said, “No no, I’ve got a cunning plan; as soon as he’s got the fez I’m going to kill the fez.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree Matt is almost certainly number 12, but isn't it 12 regenerations, which means 13 Doctors?

Although he did use up a regeneration healing River's hand in The Angels Take Manhattan, so that would again make him the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

John Hurt isn't the Doctor. He is the same timelord, but not "The Doctor". As it was in the episode, he was/is/will be the one regeneration that didn't/doesn't/won't use the name of Doctor, he used/uses/will use his real name. And as we all know, the name of a timelord can burn planets :)

I loved Matt Smith as The Doctor. When he first started, he was young, weird and over enthusiastic. Slowly through Season 5 he darkened the character; the seriousness of "Flesh and Stone" was the first showing of how good a Doctor he would become. Season 6 was his first season where he could BE the Doctor, not just develop the character. He still showed that playfulness int the likes of "The Curse of the Black Spot", but seriously embedded the character in the season splitters of "A Good man Goes to War" and "Let's kill Hitler" not to mention "The Wedding of River Song". But by far, Season 7 was his best. The devastation in "The Angels take Manhatten" was killer, and his development of Jenna's character was incredible.

He will be very much missed, I feel. Having served as long as Tennant, he should and will be remembered as one of the greatest, alongside Pertwee and Baker.

As to who will pick up the heaviest gauntlet in showbusiness? It will be someone who no one really knows about. As the head of Entertainment in the BBC said in an interview today, it has to be someone unknown, someone who doesn't do a lot of acting, because of the filming schedule. You give up 8 months of the year filming each season. 8 long months.

One thing a lot of people are hinting at is a female Doctor... I wonder will the Beeb be so audacious....

And therefore the "last" until the 50th solves that with a new regeneration

Surely they have to save the regeneration for the Christmas episode, seeing as Matt is contracted 'til then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, the cinematography really hid the reduced budgets. As someone said, the US portions were in conjunction with BBC America, but otherwise the show has had a smaller budget. When you think about it, Smiths turn has had far more "bottle" episodes with less FX shots and fewer extras / guest characters (think how many stories took place in abandoned locations, be they a tower block, hotel, fairground, submarine etc.) Compare Tennants finales, epic in scale with dozens of extras, with Smiths most recent that had 1 guest character!

It's a general problem with the BBC though, they have money troubles so many of their budget-heavy shows, Who, Top Gear etc. have had their purses snipped. In fact, at least one Who episode, written by Stephen Fry, got canned cos it was simply too expensive to make!
    _rebelkid wrote: »
    One thing a lot of people are hinting at is a female Doctor... I wonder will the Beeb be so audacious....
    That rumour has been in existence since 1980, when Tom baker left :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    That rumour has been in existence since 1980, when Tom baker left :D

The 80's were a different time, people want feminism.... or equality, as some call it :P*

*joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gulliver wrote: »
    Richard Ayoade
    Probably too well known but a black doctor could certainly be a possibility. Can imagine it being something the suits at the Beeb would love and that over-analyzing articles in the Sunday Times would use to make an argument about it being a milestone for British society etc.

If the best actor to embody the Doctor is black, brilliant but I'd hate to see such a thing being a requirement,

It'll almost definitely be a complete unknown again. Hopefully someone as good as Smith has been. My favourite doctor to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Just throwing it out....
    What's Hugh Laurie up to now House is over and promoting his blues stuff .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Bring Paul Mcgann back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Bring Paul Mcgann back

Bring Tom Baker back!

Tick Tock goes the clock, even for The Doctor. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Just throwing it out....
    What's Hugh Laurie up to now House is over and promoting his blues stuff .......

He's far too well known to be the Doctor I'd say. Also he's currently doing a tour and based on some things he said on Graham Norton I don't know if he will ever go back to acting. He seems pretty happy to be doing music instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Hugh Laurie is not a runner - he was making upwards of $1,000,000 an episode of House. Unless it was a full blown Hollywood movie, I doubt he'd be interested. Even then, he'd be aware of how successful the movie proved for Paul McGann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ladbroke's odds on the next Doctor

3/1 Rory Kinnear
    4/1 David Harewood
    5/1 Ben Whishaw
    6/1 Benedict Cumberbatch
    7/1 Harry Lloyd
    8/1 Derek Jacobi
    9/1 Russel Tovey
    10/1 Alex Jennings
    14/1 Stephen Mangan
    16/1 Tom Hiddleston
    20/1 Helen Mirren
    20/1 Peter Capaldi
    20/1 David Tennant
    20/1 David Walliams
    25/1 Tim Wright
    25/1 Richard Armitage
    25/1 Daniel Radcliffe
    33/1 Tony Head
    33/1 Miranda Hart
    33/1 Hugh Lawrie
    50/1 Bill Bailey

Blogtor Who posted a lit of twelve actors to play the Doctor and another of actresses. Not really keen on any of the actresses but some good choices on the actors list I think.

"6/1 Benedict Cumberbatch" He'd be great imo. Hardly interested though, would he be? Isn't he in the new Star Trek movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes. He's pretty much ruled out by his current "star" power which has greatly increased on the back of Sherlock and ST and the fact that Hollywood will be snapping at his feet to sign him for projects as a result. I doubt the salary and filming schedule would be of great interest to him right now.

"6/1 Benedict Cumberbatch" He'd be great imo. Hardly interested though, would he be? Isn't he in the new Star Trek movie.

There were rumours going around that he rejected the role of the eleventh Doctor which he says aren't true and although David Tennant, who's he's friends with suggested he audition (he said this himself so not a rumour) he didn't so he wasn't really interested even before Star Trek and Sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

If it were ever to be a female, then I'm really liking the look of Tilda Swinton. I'm still going to go with the male-chauvanist in me though and hope they don't go down this path, not until I'm old enough not to give a **** anymore anyway.

Bill Bailey would be great.

What about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Krasinski if there were going for a non-Brit ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

And the next instalment of The Hobbit.

I'd of liked to seen him as the next incarnation of The Master.

Advertisement