Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROG vs David Humphreys

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

clsmooth wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say there is a touch of Murphy and Dempsey in the sense ROG was more reliable and consistent like Dempsey but Humphreys had that bit of magic about him like Murphy and could win you a game by himself?

I find it insulting that many posters on here believe we can't have a sensible debate on two great servants of Irish rugby. All the comments so far have been postive towards both players, which shows the level of respect felt for their achievements.

You're easily insulted so

The majority of ROG related topics on here end in a car crash

Add to that the fact that a lot of posters are literally sick to death of discussing O'Gara's game and it's no surprise people aren't exactly thrilled to see another ROG comparison thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Humphreys made ROG look like Brian Lima in defence though, which is something that will always rightly be held against him in these discussions. DH was certainly the more mercurial of the two but I think ROG was ultimately the better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Proud Orange

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Humphreys made ROG look like Brian Lima in defence though, which is something that will always rightly be held against him in these discussions. DH was certainly the more mercurial of the two but I think ROG was ultimately the better player.

Not much to disagree with here, I think that Humps was the better, more skilled rugby player but ROG was the better and more determined sportsman!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

trouttrout wrote: »

Add to that the fact that a lot of posters are literally sick to death of discussing O'Gara's game and it's no surprise people aren't exactly thrilled to see another ROG comparison thread.

So don't enter the thread then perhaps? Anyway back OT, I think the difference is that ROG was always slightly overrated while Humphreys was always slightly underrated. Humphreys was the better runner while ROG was better out of hand kicking. Not much in it but if we're talking about both at their peak then Humphreys slightly edges it.

Bogota wrote: »
    So don't enter the thread then perhaps? Anyway back OT, I think the difference is that ROG was always slightly overrated while Humphreys was always slightly underrated. Humphreys was the better runner while ROG was better out of hand kicking. Not much in it but if we're talking about both at their peak then Humphreys slightly edges it.

I'll enter the thread if I like thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'm only 23, and I can barely remember Humphries playing. It is a little curious that these debates always seem to include ROG though and seem to be just an avenue for people to express just how overrated they think he was, so maybe just go straight to the point next time, ie: ROG overrated?

Stop being so precious. If you don't have anything to add to the topic, I suggest you read another thread instead of whining. You say you can't remember much about Humphreys, this in an opportunity for you to learn something about his style of play.

Stop being so precious. If you don't have anything to add to the topic, I suggest you read another thread instead of whining. You say you can't remember much about Humphreys, this in an opportunity for you to learn something about his style of play.

You're the one who said he was "insulted "about people giving out about the thread so I'm not sure how you can say I'm being precious

Anyway just explaining why a lot of people are sick of talking about ROG. I'm actually enjoying reading about Humphries considering I can't remember him playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

ya, new posters like to read too. rog better than humphy, humphy was a good player though.

Well it's quite pathetic if we can't discuss certain players without people like you saying we're on a witch hunt and why don't we just come out and bash him etc anyways enough, enjoy the history lesson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I do think a lot of these threads end badly... but, it's worth a shot I guess.

I reckon ROG. Humphreys was the more talented footballer, but ROG was the better player, I think. Although he did play in better teams for most of his career, that is true. Both great players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ROG for me.

The times he has kept his head to grab victory is impressive.

My favourite was against Leicester in Welford Rd in '06. A kick from half way in lashing rain to win the game by 2. Cool as ice. Had a cracking day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You must all be a bunch of young fellows if you can't remember DH play!!

He was a great talent with ball in hand alright - got to see him when dungannon beat cork con in 2001 in the final of the AIL.

He was magic that day - scored 26 points in total.....great team included humph, jonny bell, paddy johns, tyrone howe, bryn cunningham, ryan constable and justy fitzpatrick and coached by the great willie anderson.

Remember the day well but not much of the night.

ROG was ROG......he'll always hold a great place in the hearts of every irish rugby supporter for that day in cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

can people please either post on the subject or don't bother posting. if you have issues with posts report them. back seat modding is against the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Comparing ROH and DH is like comparing petrol and diesel. Petrol (DH) was explosive and it offered the potential to do so much in a short time but it was often a waste and could leave you short at times. Diesel (ROG) may not offer the fast racing pace but it always got you there and ticks over nicely when you needed it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think DH was as overated as much as ROG was. A nice running game and a good game every now and then people fall in love.
    I remember the English doing something similar to Cipriani a few years ago, a player who I think is very similar to DH at oh.
    Id take ROG any day off the week, a born winner whos passing game has been criminally forgotten by people with short memories.

Anyways dont know why were talking bout this, when the real question is.
    Where is the ROG V Lomu thread?

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think DH was as overated as much as ROG was. A nice running game and a good game every now and then people fall in love.
    I remember the English doing something similar to Cipriani a few years ago, a player who I think is very similar to DH at oh.
    Id take ROG any day off the week, a born winner whos passing game has been criminally forgotten by people with short memories.

Anyways dont know why were talking bout this, when the real question is.
    Where is the ROG V Lomu thread?

Good post apart from the last part. Would you prefer a Humphreys v Elwood thread? I asked as they are two of the best outhalves of the professional era that we have produced and are both retired. As of such, its a fair comparision. For me, it seems a lot of people have forgotten about how good DH was. Would you have said the last bit if I had started a Hickie vs Shane Horgan thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Good post apart from the last part. Would you prefer a Humphreys v Elwood thread? I asked as they are two of the best outhalves of the professional era that we have produced and are both retired. As of such, its a fair comparision. For me, it seems a lot of people have forgotten about how good DH was. Would you have said the last bit if I had started a Hickie vs Shane Horgan thread?

Not sure if your being serious, if I had thrown one of these lads :pac: at the end would you have got the joke? As for Elwood V Humphreys, Then youd see me with Green tinted glasses on so best leave that one alone :D

Advertisement