Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top14 Final 2013: Toulon vs Castres, Sat 1 June 8pm; SetantaIRL / TV5Monde

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Great result by Castres. Am I right in saying only Leicester have done the double?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Winters wrote: »
    Great result by Castres. Am I right in saying only Leicester have done the double?
    They mentioned Toulouse did the double back in 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Toulouse 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Leinster did the double :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

He's a great player but the Bastareaud penalty leading to the first Castres drop goal was a key point. It was needless and moved the lineout half way up the pitch giving Castres the momentum back. Such small decisions make the game.

Congrats to Castres on the win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Delighted for Castres, when Tales didn't get over for that try, I thought Toulon would turn the screw and get the win but Castres were absolutely the better team on the night.

I think Bernard Laporte has a case to answer here. This was their third titanic match in three weeks and they played essentially the same XV in all three so there had to be an element of fatigue in there. Meanwhile guys like Mermoz, Elsom, David Smith and van Niekerk were sitting around waiting to be used and Gethin Jenkins was surplus to requirements completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

YESSSSS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Toulouse did the double in 1996

Leicester have done the double twice in 2001 and 2002

Wasps did the double in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just watched the game now. I'm delighted for Castres since they will struggle to make it next year without their coaches and Rory Kockott. If Kockott is going to Toulouse as suggested, then Toulouse have signed a class player.

Fernandez Lobbe awesome as usual, if he had more pace he could have been a fullback with those aerial skills. Watch out for Castres' Brice Dulin in the tests against New Zealand, he would have played in the Six Nations but for injury.

For all his detractors, Dirty Delon has been on fire lately. That's three tries in three games, he played very well today in general.
    I think Bernard Laporte has a case to answer here. This was their third titanic match in three weeks and they played essentially the same XV in all three so there had to be an element of fatigue in there. Meanwhile guys like Mermoz, Elsom, David Smith and van Niekerk were sitting around waiting to be used and Gethin Jenkins was surplus to requirements completely.

It's a good point, perhaps they should have rotated their squad more. Guy Noves believed it was near impossible to win both the Heineken and Top14 titles in the same season (hence why he threw away the Amlin).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For all his detractors, Dirty Delon has been on fire lately. That's three tries in three games, he played very well today in general.

He's a reprehensible individual but he's a wonderful rugby player. He's absolutely made for a Lions tour if wasn't so divisive. He can play 15, 13 and wing and he is a solid goal kicker. Aside from the versatility, he's strong, elusive and picks great lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Drop goals still matter. Given how effective defences are, I think they're going to make a comeback. So invest in drop goals.

That Kockott lad is one heck of a player. He must be taking his spinach too.

Advertisement