Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English comparative question

Options
  • 30-05-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many points should you write about for cultural context and what should be included? I have the societies in which the characters live, marriage, violence, political background issues, religion, portrayal of dominant women, portrayal of men and what I have learned. These are just paragraphs (some are typed from my teacher) but my point on women is 3 pages.. Anyone know how many points is acceptable to write about? I'd prefer to write about fewer points in greater detail but want to get as many marks as possible!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Four is loads, but I'd say learn all the points you have as that way you'll be able to perfectly answer any question (although as I'm sure you know three pages is too long for a point, try skim that one down maybe :p), but on the day I'd say go for the four you'd be happiest doing, five if you feel you have time but if you don't it's fine. And all of your points are fine for cultural context, just include the ones you're most comfortable with. Oh and what you've learned wouldn't really be considered as one of the four I don't think, I'd put that in right before the conclusion I think and keep it relatively short compared to the other paragraphs. Hope this helps in some way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Is 9 pages too much

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Is 9 pages too much

Wow! My class and I only do about 4 pages for the comparative and 5 at most. How would you get 9 pages down along with the rest of the paper? You must be an awful fast writer

Wow! My class and I only do about 4 pages for the comparative and 5 at most. How would you get 9 pages down along with the rest of the paper? You must be an awful fast writer

Well I did seven for the mock and I did a 9 page one since in class. I am a little worried about the timing but have it organised out so hopefully I can make it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You should only write 4/5 for the whole thing. 9 pages is ridiculous as you could spend more time on your poerty and Macbeth question. They throw marks at the comparative but no so much at the poerty and macbeth

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    You should only write 4/5 for the whole thing. 9 pages is ridiculous as you could spend more time on your poerty and Macbeth question. They throw marks at the comparative but no so much at the poerty and macbeth
    The comparative is 70 marks - 7 pages
    Macbeth 60 - 6 pages
    Poetry 50 -5 pages
    No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Slow Show wrote: »
    Four is loads, but I'd say learn all the points you have as that way you'll be able to perfectly answer any question (although as I'm sure you know three pages is too long for a point, try skim that one down maybe :p), but on the day I'd say go for the four you'd be happiest doing, five if you feel you have time but if you don't it's fine. And all of your points are fine for cultural context, just include the ones you're most comfortable with. Oh and what you've learned wouldn't really be considered as one of the four I don't think, I'd put that in right before the conclusion I think and keep it relatively short compared to the other paragraphs. Hope this helps in some way! :)

Thank you! I think I will probably do societies, violence, marriage and maybe dominant women if I have time and I'll just look at the others just in case.

I can't multi quote on this but my comparative essays were more than 10 pages.. Our teacher demanded that they be at least 10 even when we just had two texts.. So now I have a whole load of cutting out to do :P

Thank you! I think I will probably do societies, violence, marriage and maybe dominant women if I have time and I'll just look at the others just in case.

I can't multi quote on this but my comparative essays were more than 10 pages.. Our teacher demanded that they be at least 10 even when we just had two texts.. So now I have a whole load of cutting out to do :P

So what are going to cut it down to? 6/7 ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The comparative is 70 marks - 7 pages
    Macbeth 60 - 6 pages
    Poetry 50 -5 pages
    No?

the more pages you write, the higher chance you have of going off topic and losing marks for purpose which is 30%!!

Grinds school teachers say 3.5-4 pages for poetry, I did 3.5 in the mocks on Shakespeare and got almost full marks!

4-5 for macbeth and 5 for comparative.

Writing all those pages must really eat your time :eek:

peekachoo wrote: »
    the more pages you write, the higher chance you have of going off topic and losing marks for purpose which is 30%!!

Grinds school teachers say 3.5-4 pages for poetry, I did 3.5 in the mocks on Shakespeare and got almost full marks!

4-5 for Shakespeare and 5 for comparative.

Yeah it kills me on time so I am happy to read your comment! I will probably do 6 pages then! 5 for macbeth and 4 for poetry :)

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »

4-5 for macbeth and 5 for comparative.

My teacher says 7 for comparative, 6 for Macbeth and 5 for poetry. Some of my poetry essays are 7ish pages in small writing so everything will be extra long in the exam with my rushed writing and the smaller pages!
    I really wish my teacher didn't make us write so much! It's so hard to cut them down!

I'm afraid to ask how long yer teachers suggest to write for the p1 essay? :P

At least 6 :P apparently anything less is just a mortal sin :P

At least 6 :P apparently anything less is just a mortal sin :P

you say at least 6, we say at the very most 6...if you have huge writing :P

And may I ask how your average grades are in this class? Interesting to see do examiners like your methods or ours or both? :)

Well in the mocks there was 1A, Bs and Cs. Don't know how accurate they were though.. I got an A in one of our essays in school and the same title came up and i ony got 60 in the composition! I also think sometimes that i deserve more in my grades from her as she's cery strict in that for speeches or articles you must open with an anecdote otherwise it's not worth reading :P She seems to think that we need to quote in every second sentence in our macbeth answers though! Maybe I'm just lazy but I think that's way too much!
    My answers will probably be a lot longer in the exam though! Maybe I'll try to write a bit smaller than my usual exam writing :P

Interesting!
    IDK I just feel like the 7,8,9 page answers is too much, I take the whole quantity over quality approach thing, although having said that, I did an A1 narrative essay once from a very strict corrector that was 8 pages long! Now she did say it was too long but I got carried away in the story :P she said if it's the case that a long answer is captivating/exciting etc you're not at risk of losing marks, but if it's boring...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

In the pre all my answers were about 4/4 and half max and I barely had enough time! :P Ye must have been writing with both hands to manage all them pages :pac:

In the pre I wrote a 3 page Composition and got 82. Granted it took me so long to pick a title cause I hated them all. I will write more in the actual.
    Macbeth was 5 pages
    Poetry 4 pages
    Comparative 5 pages.
    Got a B1 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Anymore than 5 pages for me on any essay I'd just be waffling :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Anymore than 5 pages for me on any essay I'd just be waffling :pac:

• Advertisement

How do you people structure your Theme & Issue essays? I'm having to come to terms with the possibility that Cultural Context may not be on the paper so I have some work to do. :p I generally do a theme, and then discuss it in light of sub-themes in which the theme manifests, but tbh it's very cultural-contexty in my treatment of it so I'd just like to hear other opinions. :)

How do you people structure your Theme & Issue essays? I'm having to come to terms with the possibility that Cultural Context may not be on the paper so I have some work to do. :p I generally do a theme, and then discuss it in light of sub-themes in which the theme manifests, but tbh it's very cultural-contexty in my treatment of it so I'd just like to hear other opinions. :)
    I'm learning cultural context and literary genre because my theme essay was so mixed up. I find that it's so broad instead of having certain points like narrative style, imagery etc. I think though when we did it in school we did the causes, victims, how the setting contributes to the theme and maybe how imagery conveyed the theme.. Can't remember exactly so I guess I'm not much help there! We did have sub themes but we didn't have points specifically on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Mine is laid out like this:
    • Opening paragraph-Introduce theme(In my case isolation) and texts
    • Discuss development of them under heading of "Relationships"
    • Under heading of "Secrecy"
    • "Outside influences"
    • "Sacrifice"
    • Conclusion

Fairly simple but effective anyways. I have done that answer twice for tests and both scored over 60 :)

David1994 wrote: »
    Mine is laid out like this:
    • Opening paragraph-Introduce theme(In my case isolation) and texts
    • Discuss development of them under heading of "Relationships"
    • Under heading of "Secrecy"
    • "Outside influences"
    • "Sacrifice"
    • Conclusion

Fairly simple but effective anyways. I have done that answer twice for tests and both scored over 60 :)

Ah great mine would be similar enough to that, just with different headings obviously! I keep hearing talk of people tracing the development of the theme through the texts but it's great to know this way is acceptable too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

We have never done theme or issue in class, I tried it out today for the theme of relationships
    general introduction to the texts and what i would be discussing (1/2 a page)
    I did conflicting relationships and developments (1 Page and a half)
    Loving relationships and development (2 pages)
    Conclusion (1/2 a page)

Would this be okay or am I structuring all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I know it's quality over quantity but roughly how long is a comparative essay meant to be? Also while we're at it, how long us poetry and MacBeth supposed to be?

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I know it's quality over quantity but roughly how long is a comparative essay meant to be? Also while we're at it, how long us poetry and MacBeth supposed to be?

I would say
    Poetry 4
    Macbeth 4-5
    Comparative 5-6

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Leaving Cert Student 2013

anyone know who are the most likely poets to come up! im sick of learning them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I can't for my life write that much in the exam! The max I can get is 4 pages :( my hand writing is small but anyone know how to write faster? :)

• Advertisement

I can't for my life write that much in the exam! The max I can get is 4 pages :( my hand writing is small but anyone know how to write faster? :)

The paper is smaller in the exam so it'll look longer ;) try not to lean to hard on the page as that slows you down a lot.

Advertisement