Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Junior Cert from a TY’s Students Perspective

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Yeah, art for LC is really hard to get good points in... although I love art I decided that music would be easier for me to get the points in, so I'm doing music instead. My subject groups were quite awkward, so I had to compromise on some things :( I sort of wish I applied for TY now haha, could use a break! The summer should do the trick though hopefully! Is TY compulsory in your school?

Yeah. Loads of people hate it but I think I need a break, and I really want to make the most of the year. It's probably better to go straight into 5th year for motivation though. I definitely did not do enough for the JC so I think that I would take LC seriously, but I mightn't be motivated enough after TY. Hopefully I will though. So you do music AND art? Is that difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Yeah. Loads of people hate it but I think I need a break, and I really want to make the most of the year. It's probably better to go straight into 5th year for motivation though. I definitely did not do enough for the JC so I think that I would take LC seriously, but I mightn't be motivated enough after TY. Hopefully I will though. So you do music AND art? Is that difficult?

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of earlier in the year; if I'm not motivated I don't study etc... It's a vicious circle. I don't think I could cope knowing that I'm not working towards an actual exam. A lot of people really love it though. I think the different workshops would be interesting. I do art in school; and music outside. It's actually great, I love both subjects so studying isn't work. I'm doing acoustic guitar grades too, so once I finish grade six ( next year) I can put that down when applying for college courses. Music for LC is great because you have 50% of your grade got before the actual exam (performance and composing or music tech I think?). Have you decided (or have an idea) or for subjects for LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

MEANWHILE.....

My French mock was from the exam papers and the letter and postcard on it were ones that our teacher did with us in class and answered fully.

For Business, we only got Paper 1.

Every class in our school got exactly what was coming up in the Geography exam since for some reason we did it 2 weeks before all other mocks.

Our Science was from the Sample papers.

Our Tech Graph was the full 2012 paper.

We didn't get a CSPE mock.

Our Religion teacher gave us the 2011 mock and told us all the long questions and ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Oh and for Maths we only got Paper 1 and it was from the 2006,07,08 exam papers and a few of the 6 questions were ones we did in class a week before the Test.

And a few of the History classes not ours got the People in History Questions along with other questions for the Mocks like Q5 and Q6.

Therefore, I can conclude that our mocks were a complete joke and we even had to pay for the Geography mocks that we were basically given everything for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Also don't get me started about how some of the CSPE, Science and Religion teachers would get sacked if SEC found out about them just not giving an absolute crap about the projects. I can write a book about the unbelievable problems in this Madhouse that has 1200 friggin students and a pathetic ****ing excuse for a school.

Oh and also inspectors came to this DYSTOPIA a few months ago and checked out on a couple of classes (the only time when most of the teachers actually tried teaching and any misbehaving students got a detention/suspension straight away). I'm pretty sure that the scumbag teachers got together and raised some money to give the inspectors to not close down the school.

Man another 2 years then I can leave. In about 10 years I'll visit the school again and pay some kid to plant some hidden cameras around the school then we'll see who'll have the last laugh... Me or that lazy, ignorant excuse for a principal

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of earlier in the year; if I'm not motivated I don't study etc... It's a vicious circle. I don't think I could cope knowing that I'm not working towards an actual exam. A lot of people really love it though. I think the different workshops would be interesting. I do art in school; and music outside. It's actually great, I love both subjects so studying isn't work. I'm doing acoustic guitar grades too, so once I finish grade six ( next year) I can put that down when applying for college courses. Music for LC is great because you have 50% of your grade got before the actual exam (performance and composing or music tech I think?). Have you decided (or have an idea) or for subjects for LC?

I'm really not sure. I'm hoping to get an NUI exemption from Irish because I was born in America and I'm really bad at Irish! I'll probably do Biology, German, Accounting, and maybe History, or Physics. What are you doing?

I'm really not sure. I'm hoping to get an NUI exemption from Irish because I was born in America and I'm really bad at Irish! I'll probably do Biology, German, Accounting, and maybe History, or Physics. What are you doing?

I've put down French, Geography, History, Music and Japanese; but I think I might do either Biology or Economics instead of Geography. I really wanted to do Chemistry but I had to pick one subject from each group and I couldn't do Chemistry and History together :(
    I like physics, but I'm not sure if I would like it enough to do well in it. Is it your favourite science subject?

• Advertisement

I've put down French, Geography, History, Music and Japanese; but I think I might do either Biology or Economics instead of Geography. I really wanted to do Chemistry but I had to pick one subject from each group and I couldn't do Chemistry and History together :(
    I like physics, but I'm not sure if I would like it enough to do well in it. Is it your favourite science subject?

I'm the same, I like Physics, but I think that it's difficult. I prefer Biology because it's easier. It's also interesting. What do you think is your best subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I picked Engineering, Accounting, History and Physics.

I don't like Biology and Chemistry because I find them too hard, Physics is easier.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I picked Engineering, Accounting, History and Physics.

I don't like Biology and Chemistry because I find them too hard, Physics is easier.

I think for Physics, you're either good at it, or not. Apparently, people usually score highly in it. No foreign language though?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I think for Physics, you're either good at it, or not. Apparently, people usually score highly in it. No foreign language though?

Nope, not worth it. I've heard all the arguments and I'm more comfortable learning it outside of school and taking the ordinary level.

I'm the same, I like Physics, but I think that it's difficult. I prefer Biology because it's easier. It's also interesting. What do you think is your best subject?

Probably either English, History or French. How about you?

• Advertisement

Nope, not worth it. I've heard all the arguments and I'm more comfortable learning it outside of school and taking the ordinary level.

Fair enough, at least you know that you don't want to do it. Nothing worse than being stuck in the middle without making a decision.

Probably either English, History or French. How about you?

German, I think. I really like it, and I go to Germany often. I think I'm good at English too though.

German, I think. I really like it, and I go to Germany often. I think I'm good at English too though.

I have a few friends that have loved German since the beginning, it's supposed to be a nice language. Maybe it's just me, but people who do French don't seem to be as into it as people doing German? I love French but the majority of people in my class don't...
    I love languages! I can't wait to start Japanese next year, with a whole new alphabet!

I have a few friends that have loved German since the beginning, it's supposed to be a nice language. Maybe it's just me, but people who do French don't seem to be as into it as people doing German? I love French but the majority of people in my class don't...
    I love languages! I can't wait to start Japanese next year, with a whole new alphabet!

German is actually quite an easy language if you get the hang of it. Japanese sounds fun, but really hard! It'll be a challenge. You'll probably have to write in that way. Doesn't it have like 100s of different symbols?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

German is actually quite an easy language if you get the hang of it. Japanese sounds fun, but really hard! It'll be a challenge. You'll probably have to write in that way. Doesn't it have like 100s of different symbols?
    4 Alphabets .. one for speaking, one for writing and the other two I have no clue.:confused:

4 Alphabets .. one for speaking, one for writing and the other two I have no clue.:confused:

What??? That's crazy!!! I would never be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm probably going to do the same with French!

What??? That's crazy!!! I would never be able to do that.

There's Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji. Kanji are the hardest because each one represents a word e.g. 木 = tree. You need to know about 1500 Kanji to read a Japanese newspaper I think... I don't think Japanese is expected to be known to the same standard as our other language.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'm probably going to do the same with French!

I was thinking about doing that but if I did I would have to take Business in school instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I was thinking about doing that but if I did I would have to take Business in school instead :(
    Well I'm considering doing it because I hate French class and the people in it and I can do Biology instead. I'm still deciding though! I'm doing Business :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Seeing as everybody is talking about subjects:
    My subjects are all shook up (wayyy Elvis reference, god I need to get a life ;) )
    I want to do Geography, History, Business and German (and French as an extra subject) but history and business are in the same group so I have to choose between the 2 of them and then I would have to do either biology, chemistry of home ec :eek: I hate all of them sooo
    I am talking it over with the principal/vice principal and it looks as if I'll be in the 6th year history classes and I'll have to do the 5th year work myself, which will be grand so long as I don't have to do bleedin' science. But it hasn't been sorted out yet either that or I'm going to a different school half an hour away or I'm going to Yates College in Galway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Yates College in Galway :rolleyes:
    I smell a posh school :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Im doing economics as I didnt want to do science..whats it like -
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

examstress wrote: »
    Im doing economics as I didnt want to do science..whats it like -
    ?

Economics has a lot of terminology. If you're doing sciences in LC and you didnt do science in JC, it would be harder for you to learn as you dont know the basics. Same with business.

I smell a posh school :rolleyes:.

....Well, if it's the one I know, then no. :)
    It is NOT. It's one of those cram schools, I think. A couple of my friends are going there.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Seeing as everybody is talking about subjects:
    My subjects are all shook up (wayyy Elvis reference, god I need to get a life ;) )
    I want to do Geography, History, Business and German (and French as an extra subject) but history and business are in the same group so I have to choose between the 2 of them and then I would have to do either biology, chemistry of home ec :eek: I hate all of them sooo
    I am talking it over with the principal/vice principal and it looks as if I'll be in the 6th year history classes and I'll have to do the 5th year work myself, which will be grand so long as I don't have to do bleedin' science. But it hasn't been sorted out yet either that or I'm going to a different school half an hour away or I'm going to Yates College in Galway :rolleyes:

You don't want to end up there I've been told! ;)

Advertisement