Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What source control are you using?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is work out there for "source control experts" migrating old codebases to new version systems.

Have seen jobs for perforce -> git in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

SourceSafe 6 through Source Off Site...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

We use Git at the moment but are actually considering moving to SVN. We're a small company, where developers are in the same office, so the distributed aspect of Git doesn't benefit us in any way.

We're developing a web app on Windows, using msysgit and TortoiseGit to pull and push from and to a GitHub account, and it has never worked for us 100% correctly. It ranges from minor things, where you try to add a new file to Git, all the way to frankenstein merges that FUBAR our repository.

We had a horrible incident two weeks ago where a developer did a pull, Git merged his changes (3 files) with the incoming changes in the pull, and the push actually reverted 5 commits worth of work from other developers.

We've investigated why this might be - we're using Zend server which bizarrely places the htdocs folder in a subdirectory of C:\Program Files\, so we were thinking it might be a permissions issue, as you normally need to OK a UAC prompt before making any changes to it.

We've also noticed that whatever indexing or caching mechanism Git uses often presents a stale view of the source tree on Windows, as one developer had to delete a working copy and clone a repository from scratch, but the clone would fail, saying the deleted folder still existed.

Whatever the reason, it amounts to an untrustworthy system which requires a lot of hand holding on our part to work correctly, so we're going to give SVN a go and see if it works any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You will have all those problems as well with svn I reckon. Have seen lots of fubar repos with that too.

Try using a different git client. Make sure everyone has the latest version, and your server is also running the latest version.

It could be worse, try using perforce... where even the simplest operation involves creating intricate workspace mappings etc. Perforce is actually pretty good when you figure it out, but is very annoying for beginners. The "advanced features" of svn (like external mappings) are basic features in perforce you are forced to use >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The biggest thing I can recommend for git is to work with command line only.
    We use Gitlab as a replacement for Github as we host it locally. Pretty handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

pushpop wrote: »
    We're developing a web app on Windows, using msysgit and TortoiseGit to pull and push from and to a GitHub account, and it has never worked for us 100% correctly.

we're using Zend server which bizarrely places the htdocs folder in a subdirectory of C:\Program Files\, so we were thinking it might be a permissions issue, as you normally need to OK a UAC prompt before making any changes to it.

We've also noticed that whatever indexing or caching mechanism Git uses often presents a stale view of the source tree on Windows

How about putting the main repository on UNIX box?

Maybe check out Mercurial with TortoiseHG - shouldn't be a big learning curve for you after TortoiseGit.

--

A new one to me - a friend of mine swears by Bazaar and reckons it'll become a standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Trojan wrote: »
    When I left Sun in 2007, Solaris was still under sccs. I'm sure that up until the Oracle acquisition in 2010 that wouldn't have changed. They possibly changed it since, but that's a lot of source code history to deal with.

Ouch! I was thinking the same thing but "When I left Sun in 1999,..." I know you don't want to be keeping up with the cool kids but SCCS was born in the 1970s!

Sun had a lot of large nightly build systems that weren't about to be changed all that quickly. Mainly because they worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

carveone wrote: »
    Ouch! I was thinking the same thing but "When I left Sun in 1999,..." I know you don't want to be keeping up with the cool kids but SCCS was born in the 1970s!

Sun had a lot of large nightly build systems that weren't about to be changed all that quickly. Mainly because they worked...

There were a lot of really great scripts written by the ON team to wrap source control functions. Did you ever hear of webrev? Very cool :)

Edit: link added, and I see from the link that they were preparing the codebase for modern SCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Trojan wrote: »
    There were a lot of really great scripts written by the ON team to wrap source control functions. Did you ever hear of webrev? Very cool :)

Edit: link added, and I see from the link that they were preparing the codebase for modern SCM.

Wayyy after my time! :p

Goes to show that no matter what SCM you pick, it's going to be better than what I used: SCCS, RCS, PVCS (argh), SourceSafe (Safe?!?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

I've used SVN in two jobs I've had, quite liked it, great visibility on revision numbers, etc, rollbacks very simple.

These days I freelance a lot and tend to be working solo on 2 different machines, and I'm really enjoying Git. I do a lot of web work, and it's so nice being able to simply clone your repo onto a live server, and move things around as needed. Of course, Linux comes with Git, so there's no extra work needed.

I haven't had any joy with the GUIs for Git though. So far anything I've tried has actually made everything more complicated, so I stick with the command line, where the feedback is more meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,529 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Git GUIs are pointless. It works far better from the command line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

awec wrote: »

This statement puts me off Git. I'm a happy Mercurial head, using TortoiseHg to manage several repos without any concern. I also use TortoiseSVN for Subversion.

I'd be loath to switch to Git without at least a functioning GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I believe there's a Windows version of SourceTree. I'm comfortable enough with Mercurial and to a lesser extent Git at the command line, but the Mac version of SourceTree is pretty great for day to day work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I believe there's a Windows version of SourceTree. I'm comfortable enough with Mercurial and to a lesser extent Git at the command line, but the Mac version of SourceTree is pretty great for day to day work.

Well given all the talk here I decided to give Git a try on my Mac with a Bitbucket account and SourceTree. And yes it seems to be working very nicely :). I can see an advantage with the local repository if you are off line over SVN and the fact that it does not pepper your folders with hidden folders etc. although of course there is the export function in SVN.

If I have time later in the week, I'm going to have a go at setting it up on Windows.

awec wrote: »

Seems that way all right. Having gone from SubClipse as apart of an Eclipse set-up, to using some fancypants svn plugin on Visual Studio, it's a bit surprising how little has been done with git GUIs.

That said I do find that Aptana has some pretty nice Git stuff happening, which is nice as I do most of work in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

it's a bit surprising how little has been done with git GUIs.

Thats coz GIT users are hard core and don't need no stinkin GUIs...command line and notepad is the only way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've only really started, but I'm using eGit with Eclipse and it seems to work quite nicely.

Ludo wrote: »
    Thats coz GIT users are hard core and don't need no stinkin GUIs...command line and notepad is the only way.

Notepad? Surely you mean vi or emacs?

Edit --
    It is nice to have a gui when you're on a multi-discipline team though. A devs time isn't best spent on adding a new verison of a jpeg, if you can get a designer to do it without using Terminal, there's more chance of it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Notepad? Surely you mean vi or emacs?

I was actually thinking that as I typed notepad but couldn't be bothered changing it :D

deconduo wrote: »
    I've only really started, but I'm using eGit with Eclipse and it seems to work quite nicely.

Well it is working fine for me too. It is possible that one might need to go to the command line on occasion, but not on a regular basis... The objective is to develop software, not become an expert in the versioning system. And I'd even go so far as to say that if a typical developer is spending more than say 15 or 20 minutes a day playing with the version control system, then something is not right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

deconduo wrote: »

If you are writing Java in Eclipse, you should really check out IntelliJ http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

ChRoMe wrote: »
    If you are writing Java in Eclipse, you should really check out IntelliJ http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

+1 best Java IDE I have used.

As for source control, still using SVN for smaller projects and Git for bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

TFS at work.

git at home.

Actually I'm a little stuck on GIT. Any care to receive a pm ?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

amen wrote: »
    Actually I'm a little stuck on GIT. Any care to receive a pm ?

Start a new thread maybe? That way others can learn too.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Start a new thread maybe? That way others can learn too.

Everyone runs into a g** d** awful mess from time to time, so we can all learn for it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

ChRoMe wrote: »

Its actually Python I'm doing, but it looks like they have a Python IDE as well. I'll check it out, thanks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

John_Mc wrote: »
    but I switched to Team Foundation Services once it was released (for free!).
    I hadn't used this yet, so I tried it out last night for a small personal project I've been meaning to kick off. It's very very nice for a free service.

It seems to be the full TFS source control (can use Git too). And has the project management stuff, with templates for scrumm, agile, cimm etc, built in.

Very useful for personal projects, although a bit restricted by the 5 user limits. When the pay version goes live, it seems like it will be included with VS/MSDN licensing, so it'll be a very nice bonus for existing developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I use TFS at work and it's fine, does a job but for some reason I don't like it. Probably because there is so much to it.

On personal projects I use Kiln, Trello & Fogbugz together to do everything I need and I find it much better. It's free for up to 2 people in an company too, Trello is of course completely free.

Advertisement