Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a jersey from an american website

Options
  • 26-05-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Help would be greatly appreciated .

Im thinking of buying a football jersey from a website outside the EU
    (I think the website is either American or Chinese)

I live in Galway.
    I am wondering:

1. Will there be charges on this jersey
    2. if so how do i work out the charges
    3. Where do i go to pay the charges?]

From galway.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You might get a better response here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How much is the jersey, and how much is shipping expected to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

1. Will there be charges on this jersey
    2. if so how do i work out the charges
    3. Where do i go to pay the charges?]

From galway.
    Thanks in advance :)

If the Jersey is over €30 before Postage, then you will definitely be expected to pay VAT/Duty when it arrives. But that may be up to you, as it may pass through customs undetected.
    I think over €23 is the law, but it says on their website that they reserve the right to waiver a few euro.

You will be asked to pay it at your door when it is delivered, or, on some U.S. sites they will calculate it into the price with delivery.

If you want to work out the cost landed, you can try here - http://www.dutycalculator.com/

I think they calculate your first 2 or 3 for free.

Alternatively, you could ask around and see if they have a European outlet, or check if anybody else knows anywhere in Europe to get the same Jersey. It may work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Thanks for the replys.. much appreciated

These are the prices of the jerseys i have been looking at and he shipping Soundman

1:
    Jersey : $25 / €19.32
    Shipping: $10 / €7.73
    Total: €27.05

Jersey: €22.50
    shipping: €0
    total: €22.50

Jersey: €27
    shipping €0
    total €27

jersey: £21.88 / €25.54
    shipping: €10
    total : €35.54

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys.. much appreciated

These are the prices of the jerseys i have been looking at and he shipping

Shouldn't be any problem/There shouldn't be any extra charges (I wouldn't expect any). Have you tried getting them from Europe?
    A European site may have faster delivery.

You think there shouldnt be any charges at all?
    As in i would just have to pay for the jersey and postage from the website??

So say if i chose 1..... i would just have to pay €27.05?

You think there shouldnt be any charges at all?
    As in i would just have to pay for the jersey and postage from the website??

So say if i chose 1..... i would just have to pay €27.05?

Yeah. As long as the value of the item isn't over €22. Then you have to pay 23% extra of the cost if they get stopped in customs.
    If you buy online or by mail order etc.

From outside the EU
    You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a guide to the reliefs available for imports from non-EC countries.
    If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

From - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Allyall wrote: »
    Yeah. As long as the value of the item isn't over €22. Then you have to pay 23% extra of the cost if they get stopped in customs.

Value of item+cost of shipping is what you're looking at in terms of paying additional vat, however an interesting post by rubadub in the import duty/vat thread indicates the real-life limit is €26:
    rubadub wrote: »
    What was the item and did this €20 include postage?

In theory a pencil costing 1cent but with €22 postage is liable for VAT on €22.01. Currently the limit is actually about €26 before VAT kicks in at the usual 23%, since they do not collect below a certain amount.

Chinese sellers often put prices like $10 on packages, customs may not believe it and estimate a price according to typical prices for similar items here, so if you got a really cheap item they could have valued it higher.

Keep in mind that if there's a chance that these jerseys are counterfeit they could well be destroyed by customs.

Value of item+cost of shipping is what you're looking at in terms of paying additional vat, however an interesting post by rubadub in the import duty/vat thread indicates the real-life limit is €26:

Keep in mind that if there's a chance that these jerseys are counterfeit they could well be destroyed by customs.

I knew that they can choose to waiver it if it is more than €22, i was under the impression that they allowed up to €30 (Maybe that was before it was reduced from €27), but i hadn't realised they include the cost of shipping..

Does that still count if you use an EU shipping service like DHL or TNT Express?

I left that in, in case someone else has the same question. As i re-read over it, I remembered thinking that before.. Some companies include shipping in cost, or pay shipping (From U.S.) and Duty, then charge more.

Best way (I find) is to pay flat rate, and if any duty is owed, pay it at this end.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

OP sounds like you are buying from one of the websites in Asia. Good thread in the American Football forum about buying jerseys from the US or Asia.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768188

Advertisement