Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Hi, appreciate a bit of advice. I've bought a 2nd hand computer graphics card from someone in the US. The value of which was stated as $800 plus about $57 shipping. I had no idea of having to pay tax etc untill a letter arrived yesterday telling me that my goods could not be processed by the office (Portlaoise) as the value of thew goods exceeds 650 Euro limit. Suppose I should've looked into this, but it never even crossed my mind. The letter tells me I need an customs declaration in the form of a 'Single Administrative Document' (SAD) entry is required. The SAD entry can be processed by a customs clearance agency or at certain revenue offices.
    Have any of you had to complete one of these before? Is it straight forward? I dont really wanna go through a clearance agency as this will no doubt add to the cost.
    Once I've paid the VAT on the item I could've bought it new for an extra 50 quid!! Gutted :(
    Also I've looked on the revenue website, can't find a form on there as was hoping to do it online. Anyone know which offices will let me do it. I'm in Athlone. Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Right ive just got a call from ups telling me i have to pay charges of 35 euro on a product from Hong Kong which only cost 20 euro, is this legit anyone know if they charging me to much as this is a lot more than the vat on it! Thanks, Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Right ive just got a call from ups telling me i have to pay charges of 35 euro on a product from Hong Kong which only cost 20 euro,
    What was the item and did this €20 include postage?

In theory a pencil costing 1cent but with €22 postage is liable for VAT on €22.01. Currently the limit is actually about €26 before VAT kicks in at the usual 23%, since they do not collect below a certain amount.

Chinese sellers often put prices like $10 on packages, customs may not believe it and estimate a price according to typical prices for similar items here, so if you got a really cheap item they could have valued it higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

rubadub wrote: »
    What was the item and did this €20 include postage?

In theory a pencil costing 1cent but with €22 postage is liable for VAT on €22.01. Currently the limit is actually about €26 before VAT kicks in at the usual 23%, since they do not collect below a certain amount.

Chinese sellers often put prices like $10 on packages, customs may not believe it and estimate a price according to typical prices for similar items here, so if you got a really cheap item they could have valued it higher.

Cheers for that, shower of chancers i tell thee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hi All

A quick query as my head is about to burst trying to find a clear answer online... via the Revenue/Customs, etc...

If a ring is VALUED at 10000 euro by a US seller, but I bid, win and PAY 500 euro for it (I'm in Ireland)... do I only pay the customs and vat charge on the 500 (what I paid via PayPal) or will they VALUE IT at more and attempt to charge me vat on 10000?

There are no charges for P+P and the seller uses USPS (I assume US Postal Service) First Class Mail...

EDIT: If we pay the charge - and as the seller offers a full refund if not happy - do we lose the customs/vat paid or can it be refunded...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Customs will probably ask you to produce a Paypal invoice showing how much you paid for item .

Customs will ask you to pay VAT on this value .

You will pay 23 % VAT of the value of Paypal invoice .

Ring Jewellery has an import duty rate of 2.5% and VAT rate of 23%.

Duty for your item is nil because the total amount of duty payable for this item is less than €10.00.

Just remember ,that if you are buying an item valued at $10000 for $500 , it sounds to good to be true ..............................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Customs will probably ask you to produce a Paypal invoice showing how much you paid for item .

Customs will ask you to pay VAT on this value .

You will pay 23 % VAT of the value of Paypal invoice .

Ring Jewellery has an import duty rate of 2.5% and VAT rate of 23%.

Duty for your item is nil because the total amount of duty payable for this item is less than €10.00.

Just remember ,that if you are buying an item valued at $10000 for $500 , it sounds to good to be true ..............................

All of that is what I expected and had budgeted for, thank you. The 10 grand versus 500 was an 'example' as to which amount they will base the duty and vat on - and we will have PayPal receipts if we go this route so that's all cool.

Can I just ask...

If the item was returned (say we dont like it) and fully refunded by the seller...

Do I lose the duty and vat paid? Is this refundable?

Thanks a million for your help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

Anybody have any info regarding the import situation with Turkey? I want to buy a good quality rosewater from a Turkish site but considering the limbo situation regarding accession to EU, I really don't know what the craic is regarding the duty/customs incurred. Any info would be helpful? Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

A quick question to anyone that might know the answer. I'm looking at buying a used motherboard on ebay.com for under €150 (including postage), now the item is coming from America and I'm just worried I'll get ripped off by the time it gets to my front door.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for it when it arrives? I got burnt before for €50 on some old toys that only cost me $50 to begin with!!!

Thanks

Maragenie wrote: »
    A quick question to anyone that might know the answer. I'm looking at buying a used motherboard on ebay.com for under €150 (including postage), now the item is coming from America and I'm just worried I'll get ripped off by the time it gets to my front door.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for it when it arrives? I got burnt before for €50 on some old toys that only cost me $50 to begin with!!!

Thanks

Dont know , but I recently bought a camera in New York , for €80 and it arrived quickly with no extra to pay on arrival.

You could try this calculator , it may help :

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-cost-calculation-for-ebay-item/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 alfa81

Hi, appreciate a bit of advice. I've bought a 2nd hand computer graphics card from someone in the US. The value of which was stated as $800 plus about $57 shipping. I had no idea of having to pay tax etc untill a letter arrived yesterday telling me that my goods could not be processed by the office (Portlaoise) as the value of thew goods exceeds 650 Euro limit. Suppose I should've looked into this, but it never even crossed my mind. The letter tells me I need an customs declaration in the form of a 'Single Administrative Document' (SAD) entry is required. The SAD entry can be processed by a customs clearance agency or at certain revenue offices.
    Have any of you had to complete one of these before? Is it straight forward? I dont really wanna go through a clearance agency as this will no doubt add to the cost.
    Once I've paid the VAT on the item I could've bought it new for an extra 50 quid!! Gutted :(
    Also I've looked on the revenue website, can't find a form on there as was hoping to do it online. Anyone know which offices will let me do it. I'm in Athlone. Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

How did you resolve this in the end? I'm having the same problem with a laptop I bought from the States. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 EVanB

Does anyone know if Fedex can/do still levy their bull**** "Admin fee" even if the item is duty/vat exempt e.g. if I purchase a book from the US and its shipped via Fedex am I liable for any extra charges/admin fees?

EVanB wrote: »
    am I liable for any extra charges/admin fees?
    No, the admin is for the collection of the VAT/duty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Just aquick question. I went to buy an item the other day on ebay.ie the item appeared in the list of Irish sellers but turned out that it was coming from the US. Am I going to be hit by duty on this or is it ok as I bought of the Irish ebay and paid vat here on the item. Its also being shipped by surface mail not a courier.

nastros wrote: »
    Am I going to be hit by duty on this or is it ok as I bought of the Irish ebay and paid vat here on the item.
    Buying on ebay.ie does not mean you paid Irish VAT on it. As always post a link to the auction to get a more informed response.

If its coming from outside the EU and over the limits (shown in post 1) then you are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Ok so basically if its worth more than 150 im looking at duty. This is actually less than that so should be ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

nastros wrote: »
    Ok so basically if its worth more than 150 im looking at duty. This is actually less than that so should be ok.

Who decides the value?

Say for example I buy an item from a US site / auction house and pay say
    $50.00 US for it but the item is actually worth a lot more.

Do customs estimate the retail value and charge duty based on that or is it only if I actually pay over €150 for it that they will charge duty?

panama wrote: »
    Do customs estimate the retail value and charge duty based on that
    Yes, they can do this if they wish. They can also ask for proof of cost or paypal receipts if there is no cost mentioned at all.

Many sites might just put $10 down as the value, they are not idiots, however they might not know the price of some things, e.g. high end weird brand earphones.

I am not sure what happens in the case of say a legitimate ebay auction where you won something at a really low price.

Duty is the higher limit, you realise VAT is applicable at lower prices. For an item with 23% vat the limit is currently €26.08 before it gets applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Have a question about import vat. I have just payed 24 euro for an item that was valued at 40 euro, because there was no shipping price revenue has estimated the shipping at 68 euro, is there any point in querying the charge or will they just say that it was a fair estimate.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

tuborg_man wrote: »
    Have a question about import vat. I have just payed 24 euro for an item that was valued at 40 euro, because there was no shipping price revenue has estimated the shipping at 68 euro, is there any point in querying the charge or will they just say that it was a fair estimate.
    thanks

Hi Tuborg,

if you can proof what you paid for the shipment, i.e. a credit transfer, credit card transfer, paypal receipt etc, you have a case to be made for a refund.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Hi, would appreciate any comments on the below.

So I ordered some goods from China. They're research materials basically. It cost $660 plus $200 Shipping and handling to Dublin. I just got an email from the Dublin freight company who have the goods. Apart from all the forms they want, they sent me an invoice for €363.80. That breaks down as:
    Terminal Hndl. Charge €28
    Terminal Hndl. Charge €65
    Documentation €85
    Port Security €10
    Bunker Adj. Factor €17
    Customs Clearance €85
    Delivery Charge €60
    Plus VAT at 23%

They say once that's paid and they get the documents they'll then calculate the duty & vat payable, which I will have to pay directly to the Revenue.

Does this sound legitmate? As stated I already paid $200 dollars to the company in China and now I'm getting a bill from this shipping crowd in Ireland for about two-thirds the value of the goods. And that before they tell me how much I have to pay the Revenue...I was expecting a customs charge and a handling fee but this seems insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Mousewar wrote: »
    Hi, would appreciate any comments on the below.

So I ordered some goods from China. They're research materials basically. It cost $660 plus $200 Shipping and handling to Dublin. I just got an email from the Dublin freight company who have the goods. Apart from all the forms they want, they sent me an invoice for €363.80. That breaks down as:
    Terminal Hndl. Charge €28
    Terminal Hndl. Charge €65
    Documentation €85
    Port Security €10
    Bunker Adj. Factor €17
    Customs Clearance €85
    Delivery Charge €60
    Plus VAT at 23%

They say once that's paid and they get the documents they'll then calculate the duty & vat payable, which I will have to pay directly to the Revenue.

Does this sound legitmate? As stated I already paid $200 dollars to the company in China and now I'm getting a bill from this shipping crowd in Ireland for about two-thirds the value of the goods. And that before they tell me how much I have to pay the Revenue...I was expecting a customs charge and a handling fee but this seems insane.

Hello Mousewar,

I empathise with your situation. Unfortunately, having left the shipping arrangements to your supplier, there is little or nothing that can be done to influence the outcome and avoid the daylight robbery perpetrated on you.

If you search the term : "China Import Service Fee" on Boards.ie you unfortunately will come across similar horror stories.

If you PM me the details of the agent concerned, I will see if I have a contact that I may be able to talk to on your behalf and see if we can persuade them to reduce some of the fees. Just be aware this is driven by the forwarder in China who has "bought" the shipment. Chinese Forwarders love these kind of shipments because they know they have you over a barrell. At this stage you have two options ; Walking away from the shipment (and wave bye bye to Us$ 860) or grin and bear it.

I wouldlodge a strong complaint with your supplier about the extravagant and in my view spurrious level of charges. That doesn't generally get you a result but it may be worth a try.

The only other thing I can do is offer to do the customs clearance for a once off 35 Euro fee. However, we are likely to have to move fast as otherwise they hit you with storage on top of everything else.

Can I suggest to you and all the members on boards.ie that are contemplating buying in China. Check the shipping cost, ask your supplier for the details of the Irish / UK / European agent that will be handling the shipment on arrival and get their charges too. Also check with Irish forwarders on this end for a rate ex China and compare the total costs. I will give you very short odds that the overall rate will be cheaper through an Irish forwarder.

Feel free to PM me with further details

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hi, Bought a model on ebay (genuine item / not a fake)- should arrive via regular anpost i think- never arrived- should customs send you a notification to collect it or do you just wait- its been 8 weeks since sent from usa already?

And more importantly for me-If i dont collect it- is it destroyed or is it returned to sender? After how long would anyone know? Id be happer knowing it went back...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Contact your seller and inform them you never received your package. It should normally take a maximum of 35 days to receive your package even from china - just marked it on ebay you never received your package.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Hi looking for some information regarding buying a notebook off ebay from someone in the us. On the page bid is $150 postages is $52.14 import charges $55.03, it says on the page
    No additional import charges on delivery!
    This item will be sent through the Global Postage Programme and includes international tracking, so do i take from that i won`t have to pay any customs if i buy it. thanks for any help

Hi looking for some information regarding buying a notebook off ebay from someone in the us. On the page bid is $150 postages is $52.14 import charges $55.03, it says on the page
    This item will be sent through the Global Postage Programme and includes international tracking, so do i take from that i won`t have to pay any customs if i buy it. thanks for any help

I don't know the answer , but would love to know .

This global postage programme talks about certain fees such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees , but nowhere does it mention VAT .

So I would of the opinion that you will have to pay 23% vat at point of entry .

Hopefully someone that has used the service can advise

Just reading the terms and conditions again , it looks like VAT is included in this programme

• Registered Users Posts: 32 V1P3R

I recently managed to get hold of a developer kit for a games console which is valued at around $3,000 but I am getting the device as a loan and have only payed a small amount (< 1 euro) to verify my credit card. I am wondering if anyone could tell me how I will be charged import duty on this item? (Will I pay import duty for the full $3,000 or just for the actual amount it cost me which is less than a euro in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 izmz

I don't know the answer , but would love to know .

This global postage programme talks about certain fees such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees , but nowhere does it mention VAT .

So I would of the opinion that you will have to pay 23% vat at point of entry .

Hopefully someone that has used the service can advise

Just reading the terms and conditions again , it looks like VAT is included in this programme

Just to follow up on this, the import VAT seems to be included in this "global postage programme" but any idea if as a UK VAT registered buyer can i reclaim back this VAT? i'm not sure i can as i will have already paid it to the US shippers, any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Hey terryduff12,

Debating whether to get a laptop from a US seller with this global program. Just wondering if you went ahead with your purchase in the end. If so, were there any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Quick question that doesn't appear to be covered:
    VAT/Duty will be calculated and collected by the postal carrier/courier. They will apply a handling fee for this, which can be between €5 and €15.
    But how do you actually pay the amount due? Last time I had this happen to me, the delivery guy (An Post) would only accept exact cash (exact, fair enough, cash, not so much), and when I couldn't find the exact change, took my package away.

I know that a UPS guy will arrive at my door any day now with his hand out, so does anyone know if they'll accept a cheque or even a credit card. I contacted UPS customer services and got a quite confusing answer, so I'd appreciate any personal experiences.

Advertisement