Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be offended by the term ‘Free State government’?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Yesterday, hundreds of Sinn Féin members attended the annual commemoration for IRA volunteer Martin ‘Doc’ Doherty in Finglas. Doherty was shot and killed when two UVF men attempted to bomb Widow Scallans pub on Pearse Street in 1994, where Sinn Féin were raising funds for the families of IRA members serving jail time.

During his oration yesterday, Sinn Féin Councillor Daithí Doolan said “now many of us watch Oireachtas Report with pride when we see our leadership taking on the Free State government”.

Should a Councillor whose party holds 14 seats in Dáil Éireann really be referring to the government of Ireland as “the Free State government”? If Sinn Féin are in power after the next election – leaving aside the likelihood of that event – will they continue to refer to their government as “the Free State Government”?

Or is such a term perfectly acceptable?
    Post edited by Quin_Dub on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Only if you want the phrase to have it desired effect.

Who used it again...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's not acceptable really. It just shows that they don't really recognize the current state and government as legitimate. A bit treasonous in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Me feiners true colours showing through. It's meant as an insult. I look upon it with contempt for the person saying it, nothing more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

SF are a very canny organisation. It's not often you get to see the mask slip.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

"Free state" is meant as an insult.

I have also heard SF speakers saying "The Dublin Government"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

nuac wrote: »
    "Free state" is meant as an insult.

I have also heard SF speakers saying "The Dublin Government"

Dublin Government is a little different, though. The Government is based in Dublin. I don’t use the term myself, but it really shouldn't be any more offensive than saying 'London Government' or 'Westminster' in lieu of 'British Government'.

'Free State government' seems designed to remind people that the territory of the Irish government does not cover the whole island, and is the result of an historic compromise, one of which Sinn Fein are contemptuous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

'Free State government' seems designed to remind people that the territory of the Irish government does not cover the whole island, and is the result of an historic compromise, one of which Sinn Fein are contemptuous.

It's a bit more seditious than that. People referring to the "free state" do so from the point of view that poblacht na heireann was declared by the Sinn Fein party when they formed the majority of Irish votes for the first (and only) time in 1918. At the time, two governments existed - the de jure Westminster parliament and the purportedly de facto first dail.

In 1921 when the treaty was signed, ireland had already been separated into two devolved governments, the southern of which later became the free state.

In the civil war, as the hardcore anti treaty side wanted to claim legitimacy, they asserted that they were the successors to the first dail as opposed to the new free staters.

After bunreacht na heireann, and then the republic of ireland act. the radical element refused to recognize the republic on the basis, in my cynical view, that because it wasn't them who created it they felt it wasn't a real republic. As these radicals became increasingly irrelevant in the republic, they gained support in Northern Ireland and the theory only then crystalised into the idea that the Irish republics government is merely a continuation of British rule because of partition and the real Irish republic exists to fight against this puppet government.

So part conspiracy theory, part historical revisionism, part teenage angst, people referring to the Republic of Ireland (which is recognized as a republic by 99% of the world) as the free state are postulating that it is a legitimate target to be overthrown. The basis for this ie partition is so tenuous as not to be worthy of any real consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

To be honest is anyone really surprised? It's rare that Sinn Fein's mask slips but when it does it reminds you who they really are. Obviously from the intro only Sinn Fein supporters were supposed to see that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's a denial of the legitimacy of post-treaty Governance. I don't think it's offensive, I think it just highlights what a bunch of idiots Sinn Fein are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It's a denial of the legitimacy of post-treaty Governance. I don't think it's offensive, I think it just highlights what a bunch of idiots Sinn Fein are.
    In practice, no senior member of SF uses the term "free state" in relation to the modern Irish state, or at least not 'on this part of the island' (as they would say). They haven't been doing that in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

It's a bit more seditious than that. People referring to the "free state" do so from the point of view that poblacht na heireann was declared by the Sinn Fein party when they formed the majority of Irish votes for the first (and only) time in 1918.

Sinn Fein did NOT achieve a majority of the votes cast in the 1918 election. The combined number of votes for the other parties surpassed them. As such, the idea that there was a "clear consensus" at the time amongst the electorate is highly dubious.

SF's position at the time was akin to that of FG in the last elections where they were the largest party by vote share - that though doesn't mean they can disregard the current constitutional structure we have in place!
    At the time, two governments existed - the de jure Westminster parliament and the purportedly de facto first dail.

It should also be pointed out that the "First Dail" was basically a SF party congress. None of the other elected MPs of the time - not even the Home Rule MPs - attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭golfball37

There's nothing "free" in this state for a working person with a family.

In that sense I find the term offensive. I prefer the term banana republic myself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

View wrote: »
    Sinn Fein did NOT achieve a majority of the votes cast in the 1918 election. The combined number of votes for the other parties surpassed them. As such, the idea that there was a "clear consensus" at the time amongst the electorate is highly dubious.

SF's position at the time was akin to that of FG in the last elections where they were the largest party by vote share - that though doesn't mean they can disregard the current constitutional structure we have in place!

Sorry, should have said majority of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

When I was younger I used to use the term but I don't now. As a Republican I would maintain that the Republic to which I aspire is the one declared in 1916 and described in the Democratic Program. I don't think the Irish nation ends at Dundalk and neither do I think the banana republic we have today is the type of republic the likes of James Connolly or Pearse envisioned. I don't feel any massive allegiance toward the institutions of the southern state and neither do I buy into this mysticism about the constitution or any of that. As far as I'm concerned we are capable of building a far better state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

In practice, no senior member of SF uses the term "free state" in relation to the modern Irish state, or at least not 'on this part of the island' (as they would say). They haven't been doing that in my lifetime.

Their media interactions tend to be very well choreographed and thus they are rarely in a position to slip up. It is pretty obvious that this video was not meant for the wider public, but it's release in error shows exactly what these people think of the Republic of Ireland. As time progresses, they will be scrutinized more and more and the cracks, like this video, will start to appear.

The lack of posts from the usual SF henchmen shows that this video is not something they want to draw attention to.

COYW wrote: »
    It is pretty obvious that this video was not meant for the wider public, but it's release in error shows exactly what these people think of the Republic of Ireland.
    That ours is not the Republic our founders envisioned?

That they want a better, more legitimate '3rd' Republic?

I wonder how many Irish people would even disagree.

edit, And what makes you say "released in error"? Why do you think so? It says Sinn Féin TV at the beginning of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

...During his oration yesterday, Sinn Féin Councillor Daithí Doolan said “now many of us watch Oireachtas Report with pride when we see our leadership taking on the Free State government”.

Wait, someone watches the Oireachtas Report?

Also Sinn Féin are a constitutional party committed entirely to the structures in the north (including policing) and are gagging to get into coalition in the south. They are an establishment party which occasionally uses a bit of left/Republican rhetoric to rally the troops.

They aren't some sinister revolutionary organisation who are plotting the downfall of the state.

FTA69 wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to use the term but I don't now. As a Republican I would maintain that the Republic to which I aspire is the one declared in 1916 and described in the Democratic Program. I don't think the Irish nation ends at Dundalk and neither do I think the banana republic we have today is the type of republic the likes of James Connolly or Pearse envisioned. I don't feel any massive allegiance toward the institutions of the southern state and neither do I buy into this mysticism about the constitution or any of that. As far as I'm concerned we are capable of building a far better state.

You actually epitomize what is wrong with republicans. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically but your the only one to post this view on the thread and it seems to be a view that seems to be common amongst devout republicans.

A group that effectively doesn't recognize the state and wants to establish their own version, in this case a united ireland, sounds pretty sinister and again there's grounds for accusations of treason there.

A group that effectively doesn't recognize the state and wants to establish their own version, in this case a united ireland, sounds pretty sinister and again there's grounds for accusations of treason there.
    Over-reaction much?

Plenty of people are fed up with the State, plenty of people don't recognize in this State what was sought in 1916 or in the War of Independence, and would like to establish a different version.

Just because Northern Ireland is thrown into the mixture, and some pretty tame comments about unification, you seek to add some sinister element to it.

This country won't be able to move on and debate re-unification responsibly until people exhibiting this sort of hysteria take control of their emotions as most Republicans have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

I dont see why some are seeing it as SF 'wothout the mask'. This video demonstrates the opposite. That while SF have been completely absorbed into establishment politics, including running for position as president of the south, that SF still talk a talk of radical republicanism to their grassroots to keep them on side.

This video is SF with the mask on. Adams and co in the Dail, and McGuinness in the north sitting comfortably implementing austerity with complete acceptance of partition and the institutions north and south - and then talking the talk to the grass roots trying to convince them that they still hold dear to their leftish republican principles and that they stand for something.

And as for the question. If you accept the southern regime and see it as legitimate then yes, I think you should be offended by the term free state. But im not.

Over-reaction much?

Plenty of people are fed up with the State, plenty of people don't recognize in this State what was sought in 1916 or in the War of Independence, and would like to establish a different version.

Just because Northern Ireland is thrown into the mixture, and some pretty tame comments about unification, you seek to add some sinister element to it.

This country won't be able to move on and debate re-unification responsibly until people exhibiting this sort of hysteria take control of their emotions as most Republicans have.

The state itself isnt really the problem it's the politicians. If you had a political movement in any other country who didn't recognize the state and its institutions it would be treated with suspicion.

The disdain that Republicans seem to have for this state and its citizens is actually a bit shocking at times.

The disdain that Republicans seem to have for this state and its citizens is actually a bit shocking at times.

At times when? at times during history? Yes, during history, not now; not in this State.

I wouldn't call failure of modern Republicans to reconcile the Republic founded after 1918 with that State founded in 1922 or the 1937 State as "disdain", or even "shocking".

Words I might use would be "balanced", "sensible" and "historically and substantively correct"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

So some people don't feel like they should accept what was accepted by Collins and Co in the 20's and that means they are sinister and untoward. :confused:

I see it as the Free-State, it is not what Ireland fought for, sentimental I know, but it is missing six counties so to me, it is not Ireland. I see us all as one. Forgive me if that is sinister, to see Irish people north of Louth as foreign to me is the sinister act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    to see Irish people north of Louth as foreign to me is the sinister act.

It's not a sinister act, it's reality.

You actually epitomize what is wrong with republicans. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically but your the only one to post this view on the thread and it seems to be a view that seems to be common amongst devout republicans.

B*llocks; for want of a better word. As far as I'm concerned the state (most states for that matter) isn't run for the people by the people, instead it has been largely orientated toward sectional interests since its inception. Any notion of the Democratic Program went out the window once the Free Staters won and solidified their position, De Valera and his mob were much the same. It became a state dominated by the small business person and the strong farmer while those who didn't have much land or none at all were largely ignored; hence the massive emigration we had after independence. The same eejits we see today denying class exists in Ireland were found back then as well. Along with the political and state elite we also had the Church preaching its conservative nonsense and attempting to scupper any semblance of progressive social or economic initiatives that popped up. Even today why should someone feel this massive allegiance toward a state that is shamelessly governed in the interests of an elite divorced from the lives of the ordinary citizen?

You can fetishise allegiance to the police, or the military or "Bunreacht na hÉireann" or any of that other nonsense all you want. The only Republic I ever wish to see in Ireland is a Worker's Republic consisting of the entire nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Should a Councillor whose party holds 14 seats in Dáil Éireann really be referring to the government of Ireland as “the Free State government”? If Sinn Féin are in power after the next election – leaving aside the likelihood of that event – will they continue to refer to their government as “the Free State Government”?

Or is such a term perfectly acceptable?

Where is he a Councillor for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Everyone in the 32 counties is Irish. Some call themselves unionist, some nationalist, but they are all Irish. What country are they in? Ireland. They are not foreigners, they are our own. I refuse to recognize a foreign forced division of my country.

Right so someone in Cavan walks five minutes up the road into Fermanagh to visit a neighbour for tea and you somehow think they've traversed into a different country to converse with a foreigner? It's gas the hoops people will jump through to justify partition. I can see where some people may be coming from with some of the wider political concerns but when it descends into suggesting the likes of the Tyrone football team or Mary McAleese are foreigners then it's just laughable really.

makaveli,
    again there's grounds for accusations of treason there

Treason? I'd say a much larger treason would be running the country into the absolute ground in the interests of a small financial elite who ruined states the world over. The Irish people have historically been blackguarded, and it wasn't at the hands of Republicans but the shower of gombeens we've had in power since 1923. I love Ireland and have been active since my teens in promoting it's sovereignty and it's culture. I think those who think "Ireland" is limited to 26 counties and seek to shame-facedly limit the concept of Irishness and deny it to their compatriots are far better candidates for the treason charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

FTA69 wrote: »
    The only Republic I ever wish to see in Ireland is a Worker's Republic consisting of the entire nation.
    Yeah good luck with that. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement