Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence confusion

Options
  • 25-05-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi All

maybe you can help me, I have been reading the license requirement for
    fishing for rainbow and brown trout here
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

if you see in the first section they mention.

While no licence is needed for trout, pike and coarse fishing in the Republic of Ireland, a rod licence is required in Northern Ireland. In both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, licences are required for salmon and sea trout fishing.

There is a river close to me and it has brown trout but also salmon.
    So I guess I need a salmon license as I cant just catch brown trout, if a salmon bites then I am salmon fishing.

So do I need a license if the river contains salmon? Does it go by what you bag or if you catch a salmon can you just release it.

I would also like to know about lough corrib, it has the same problem as the river above ( it has salmon and trout) but its not clear to me if I need to ask someone for permission to fish there see,

"It should be noted that a licence does not confer the right to fish for salmon or sea trout and that permission or permits are required to fish most waters."

also, the little river over the road from me, whom do i need to ask permission from if anyone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Hi All

maybe you can help me, I have been reading the license requirement for
    fishing for rainbow and brown trout here
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

if you see in the first section they mention.

While no licence is needed for trout, pike and coarse fishing in the Republic of Ireland, a rod licence is required in Northern Ireland. In both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, licences are required for salmon and sea trout fishing.

There is a river close to me and it has brown trout but also salmon.
    So I guess I need a salmon license as I cant just catch brown trout, if a salmon bites then I am salmon fishing.

So do I need a license if the river contains salmon? Does it go by what you bag or if you catch a salmon can you just release it.

I would also like to know about lough corrib, it has the same problem as the river above ( it has salmon and trout) but its not clear to me if I need to ask someone for permission to fish there see,

"It should be noted that a licence does not confer the right to fish for salmon or sea trout and that permission or permits are required to fish most waters."

also, the little river over the road from me, whom do i need to ask permission from if anyone.

Thanks

You don't need to buy a license if you are fishing for brown trout even if there are salmon present
    If you are fishing for trout then you will be using light gear 4lb line, small rod, small hooks not a stronger rod with 10lb line and bigger hooks and bigger lures
    If you do hook a salmon it will have to be returned alive to the river

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Thanks realrebel, that cleared it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

i wish it was that simple.... from experience down here in kerry its not that simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

danbrosnan wrote: »
    i wish it was that simple.... from experience down here in kerry its not that simple...
    Explain please.

Well i know of two people last year fishing with light gear and been convicted of fishing for salmon without a license... also there was a case in Loch Currane in Waterville of people fishing for brown trout from the shore and been prosecuted for fishing for salmon and sea trout... If you fish the maine for example a river close to my home town, Tralee, you have to hold a license, you will be told this by everyone..... And the maine holds browns up to a 1lb in weight...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well i know of two people last year fishing with light gear and been convicted of fishing for salmon without a license... also there was a case in Loch Currane in Waterville of people fishing for brown trout from the shore and been prosecuted for fishing for salmon and sea trout... If you fish the maine for example a river close to my home town, Tralee, you have to hold a license, you will be told this by everyone..... And the maine holds browns up to a 1lb in weight...

There are always two sides to every story Dan, people may have told everyone else they were fishing with light gear but the fishery officer actually found them with 10lbs line and a big bunch of worms... many people try to get away without buying a licence by saying they're only fishing for trout but then target salmon or sea trout - whether they are telling the truth or not is a judgement call of the fishery officer. If they were fined in the wrong they still have the right to refuse the fine and state their case in court.

Ah come on... Its a stupid law, confusing and if people had to money or stupid pride could fight all the way to the high court...

I have talked to tackle shop owners and anglers everywhere and its a very confusing, i only had an in depth conversation with a fishery officer recently and they agreed with me...

I buy my license every year but what you are saying to me, now is that, if i fish with 4lb breaking strain and a mepps i don't need to buy one??

What about worms can you use worms without a licence??...

Salmon will take a mepps and small spinners are lethal for sea trout..

I not getting into an argument but this law is like saying you can go the river moy but only use 4lb breaking strain and only pray to god a brown trout takes the spinner...

Ah come on... Its a stupid law, confusing and if people had to money or stupid pride could fight all the way to the high court...

I have talked to tackle shop owners and anglers everywhere and its a very confusing, i only had an in depth conversation with a fishery officer recently and they agreed with me...

I buy my license every year but what you are saying to me, now is that, if i fish with 4lb breaking strain and a mepps i don't need to buy one??

What about worms can you use worms without a licence??...

Salmon will take a mepps and small spinners are lethal for sea trout..

I not getting into an argument but this law is like saying you can go the river moy but only use 4lb breaking strain and only pray to god a brown trout takes the spinner...

What's the alternative - have a licence for brown trout as well, and all the other species? Trout fishing is a loophole that many dishonest people exploit in the salmon licence legislation, therefore there has to be some way of determining if someone is fishing for salmon or trout. Size and type of bait, as well as strength of tackle, is one way of assessing if someone is telling the truth. What other way do you suggest? Otherwise no one would ever buy a licence, and everyone would be "trout fishing"...

The alternative is simple for all Salmonidae fish you need a license... brown trout, sea trout and salmon....

Simple, no more confusion and no more bull****ting on the side of the river bank...

Thats the simple and effective thing to do, i have yet to meet a person on a river just brown trout fishing, it happens in England but thats because the industrial revolution destroyed all there fish stocks and all of there rivers hold only brown trout, obviously except rivers that are dammed etc....

I think there has to be some old law where they cant do this or something because i cant believe it hasn't been done already...

And course fish should be licensed also... There a commodity and it costs money to manage them and the money raised should be used for more protection on the marine environment which is needed badly...

I am not too sure on sea angling, which i think is a different matter but every sea angler i meet always says the would pay a fee no problem to be a part of some sort of association of sea anglers...

, i have yet to meet a person on a river just brown trout fishing, .

Well, pleased to meet you! I and many others here fish just for Brown Trout.

• Advertisement

Well, pleased to meet you! I and many others here fish just for Brown Trout.

I have many friends who fish for brown trout, i have a a lot of friends in mayo that just fish for big ferrox trout and also in wicklow but all of them buy licenses... Do you buy a license?? Where do you fish??

Do a lot of anglers not buy licences on say the big weastern lakes??? In my experience they do!!!

Lets say blessington lake in wicklow where as far as i know there is no run of sea trout or salmon then i would think a lot of them don't buy licenses...

Why are people like yourself different as brown trout are essentially in the salmon family...

There should be no difference in my opinion...

We do not need a licence per se to fish for brown trout but we must be club members to fish the rivers controlled by the club. If we wanted to catch Salmon or sea trout then naturally we'd also need a salmon licence. This is in the north east.made you confusing permits with licences by any chance?

no i am not mixing anything up, is there salmon and sea trout in the waters you fish??

no i am not mixing anything up, is there salmon and sea trout in the waters you fish??

Of course there are and those with licences target them. What is your point exactly?

Of course there are and those with licences target them. What is your point exactly?

so how would you target brown trout and not target salmon...??

so how would you target brown trout and not target salmon...??
    Leader and flies used usually does the trick! Look, you obviously have a problem on this issue that we don't have here, so I'll leave it at that.

and you dont hook sea trout on flies used for browns??

my point is the law dont make sense that a fishery officer must decide on the river bank if you are fishing for browns or sea trout... thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

IMO the sooner the rod levy comes in the better and just hope that it's well policed by fishery officers , will sort out a lot of blokes who don't join clubs or pay anything

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

madred006 wrote: »
    IMO the sooner the rod levy comes in the better and just hope that it's well policed by fishery officers , will sort out a lot of blokes who don't join clubs or pay anything

If someone is fishing for a species that does not require a licence, on a river or lake (or even the sea) that does not require a permit, what's wrong with that?

Why do these people need to be "sorted out"?:confused:

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    If someone is fishing for a species that does not require a licence, on a river or lake (or even the sea) that does not require a permit, what's wrong with that?

Why do these people need to be "sorted out"?:confused:

Well what I'm saying is and it's my opinion is that a certain few people will not join local clubs and will still go and fish the rivers without putting anything back it's epidemic around here just today ,I was in woods and our club pays 500 euro a year to lease the water. Four guys fishing it and befu.,,d if the had licences nor were they members of any club but refused to leave the water and carried on fishing . And no they were Irish before anyone says anything , I pay 60 euro a year for myself and 3 kids to fish our local waters it averages out at 13 cent a day , it's maddening to see others paying nothing and still fishing it , rant over .

Well what I'm saying is and it's my opinion is that a certain few people will not join local clubs and will still go and fish the rivers without putting anything back it's epidemic around here just today ,I was in woods and our club pays 500 euro a year to lease the water. Four guys fishing it and befu.,,d if the had licences nor were they members of any club but refused to leave the water and carried on fishing . And no they were Irish before anyone says anything , I pay 60 euro a year for myself and 3 kids to fish our local waters it averages out at 13 cent a day , it's maddening to see others paying nothing and still fishing it , rant over .

Ah ya, that's fair enough, I see your point, but I suspect that even if those guys do buy the licence they still will not pay for a day permit to fish a given stretch of river - but I guess at least something is better than nothing. Like you said in your other post, the whole thing will need to be very well policed in order for it to work.

Personally I have no particular objection to the idea of a licence so long as the cost wouldn't be prohibitive. I would be interested to hear ballpark figures when the thing progresses a bit more.

I fully appreciate the situation you describe but people are confusing licences with permits/club membership. Even if guys have a licence they need local permit to fish our stretches of water. Likewise I am a club member but do not nded a licence as I fish for Brownies only. Having a universal licence will do nothing to protect or enhance club managed waters.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Ah ya, that's fair enough, I see your point, but I suspect that even if those guys do buy the licence they still will not pay for a day permit to fish a given stretch of river - but I guess at least something is better than nothing. Like you said in your other post, the whole thing will need to be very well policed in order for it to work.

Personally I have no particular objection to the idea of a licence so long as the cost wouldn't be prohibitive. I would be interested to hear ballpark figures when the thing progresses a bit more.

Under no circumstances should it ever prohibit anyone from fishing it's a great pastime and anything that gets kids out should be encouraged , and like you said if the money raised is ring fenced for the rivers etc etc and well policed it could be a great thing . Like you I'd like to hear a few ideas of figures and what it entails at least clubs could then make submissions on it , I know that the series of meetings that were arranged were poorly attended on the whole , cheers .

i just think fishing as a commodity isn't managed properly from government... It isn't anybody's fault it is the fact that nobody that cares enough and knows what they are talking about has got into government and made drastic changes... i mean we as a county should be getting 10 tens as much anglers into this country... You could travel for 3 weeks without seeing anybody luring for bass in kerry, same goes for the lakes and the rivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Classic example this discussion of how several people, all with hearts clearly in the right place, find a reason to fall out by simply defending their own corner. I know trout men who fish for nothing else and they are doing nothing wrong by not buying a licence. If they don't buy a permit, arses should be kicked.
    However, Dan is right too. There are many who exploit the trout loophole and sea trout don't know they're not supposed to take a fly/worm/mepps meant for brownies. By taking that to its logical conclusion, I could sit all day in a boat on Currane and claim I'm fishing for browns. Oops, there's another sea trout guard, sorry about that. Don't think the IFI lads would suck that one up.
    Universal angling licence is the answer. Everyone who carries a rod - end of story. Doesn't have to be huge - say 50 quid.

50 quid??? Some of us are living on a pension, or unemployed you know. 50 on top of club membership would kill the sport.

50 quid??? Some of us are living on a pension, or unemployed you know. 50 on top of club membership would kill the sport.

Funny, I was just reading Mr. Bumble's post thinking that 50e would be fine (but I can completely see your side of it too), but compared to a Salmon licence (100e for all regions, 56e for just one region) 50e would be very reasonable since it would allow you to target all species.

Of course for now it's just speculation, but I wonder:
    A) will it opperate in a region system like the salmon licence (it would make sense, perhaps make things a bit cheaper for those who like to stay local)
    B) would the cost be as high as it is for an all regions salmon licence
    C) will there be a juvenile / adult / OAPs graded cost for the licence (I think this would make sence too) {even though it's the juveniles and OAPs that would have the most time to go fishing!:p lucky sods}

If a licence was brought in to cover all angling it wouldn't need to be that expensive, €20 would be affordable, yet still bring in a large amount of revenue, and not be so expensive that people will refuse to buy it. Think of the thousands of sea, coarse, pike and trout anglers that don't currently need a licence - €20 from each would be a large amount of money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Fishing a world renowned Salmon and Sea Trout lake like Currane with a mepps and worm then you better have a license regardless of mepps size or line breaking strain.

Advertisement