Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an argument for Conservatism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

^^ I think the 'learned Conservatism' of old age has more to do with resource-hoarding than it has to with some form of insightful pragmatism, to be honest.

The resource poor (the youth) tend to be appropriators, the resource rich (the elderly) tend to want to fend off the appropriator.

I'd have to agree with that. Generally whenever a change happens to any policy the resource rich would lose something to the appropriator. More often than not the resource rich tend to be older which would make ti logical for them to be more conservative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 bus_driver

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with that. Generally whenever a change happens to any policy the resource rich would lose something to the appropriator. More often than not the resource rich tend to be older which would make ti logical for them to be more conservative.

in Ireland, were constantly told the elderly have nothing and are borderline starving :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Any of the "isms" are just words created by political scientists to put a name to the assortment of ways through which human beings f**k each other over while trashing the planet for every other living thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They used to say that members of the Liberal Party became Tories when they reached a certain age. I suppose as you age you become stuck in your ways and are less enthusiastic about new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I suppose as you age you become stuck in your ways and are less enthusiastic about new ideas.
    I think its more a case of pragmatism and realism setting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 rick santorums gimp

Utopias are ultimately impossible to attain and whenever someone has tried to attain it for society, the consequences were pretty bad.

One could argue that a Conservative version of Utopia has already been achieved, or at least is in place to an extent -

Globalized unregulated markets, international tax shelters, widespread debt-fueled consumerism sustaining corporate profits, a healthy level of unemployment in the West keeping wages down, friendly dictatorsips in the Middle East keeping the oil flowing and in China keeping the cheap labour flowing. Ever-increasing privatization of everything from infrastructure to health to education.
    That's what Conservative 'freedom' means I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

One could argue that a Conservative version of Utopia has already been achieved, or at least is in place to an extent -

Globalized unregulated markets, international tax shelters, widespread debt-fueled consumerism sustaining corporate profits, a healthy level of unemployment in the West keeping wages down, friendly dictatorsips in the Middle East keeping the oil flowing and in China keeping the cheap labour flowing. Ever-increasing privatization of everything from infrastructure to health to education.
    That's what Conservative 'freedom' means I suppose.

I could make an argument that everything you've describes would be a Liberal heaven. There is a temptation to associate Conservatism with right wing philosophies but this isn't entirely true. Certainly there are people like that but to rebuke the old stereotype, but consider that the idea of social welfare is not at all something that would appeal to a Liberal.

A Conservative, on the other hand, would (if humans neatly fit into such theoretical containers) have no issue with social welfare as it would be a action of a powerful, overseeing mechanism of unity. In other words, it's taking away personal responsibility, something Liberals (and Sith lords :P ) are very, very fond of.

In fact, I've met plenty of people who claim a Liberal stance yet display all of the ruthless and self serving motivations that, generally, are assigned to aged Conservatives.

The lesson here, left and right have little to so with liberalism and conservatism. Further more, the entire system of labeling can be thrown away and replaced with a far less complicated truth that the only political, economic or social stance one individual will take will be the only through which they stand to gain something. In other words, "I'm happy once I get my slice of the pie."

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rick santorums gimp

RichardAnd wrote: »
    I could make an argument that everything you've describes would be a Liberal heaven.

Would be interested to hear that.
    There is a temptation to associate Conservatism with right wing philosophies but this isn't entirely true.

True, and we all have different ideas about what defines Conservatism - whether social or economic. And yes it's all too easy to pigeonhole. (In saying that, it's also fun and sometimes informative.:P)

Conservatism in some parts and for me mostly means stuff like the above list. Plus things like trying to control/ban reproductive choice, sexual orientation, recreational drug use, stem cell research etc.
    The only possible Liberal aspect is that they'd like to liberate seniors from receiving social security and liberate kids from getting a free education..

Advertisement