Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Certificate in Science in Computing

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Anyone else applied to do this? or anyone that has done this like to explain whats in it and is it hard? thanks :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Hi,

I just finished the 4th year of Software Engineering :). I started from Computing because I was a bit scared of doing software development. The course is very good and it gives you a taste of all the 3 possible path (software, management or networking). I recommend it because it will highlight your strengths.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missCoco

Hi,
    I've just finished my 1st year of the course. So far, I'm really happy with it.. It's a common 1st year which means every 1st year computing course in the college is joined together. There was about 100 of us altogether last year, we were together for lectures and spilt into 4 groups for labs.
    The whole course is continuous assessment which I thought made it a lot easier. We did our end of year exams the first week of May and they were only worth about 20% each so if you put in the work throughout the year, you might know if you have already past the year before the results come out in June.
    Like RealistSpy said, the 1st year gives you a taste of the 3 different options for second year; programming, networking or applications which is great if you are unsure what area in computing you would like to work in (like I was!)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

thanks for the replies :)

what type of work would you be doing in first year?

Well theres 6 subjects..
    Maths is 2 lectures a week, its not too bad once you attend the lectures.
    Applications & Interpersonal communications - is handy enough excel, word, powerpoint etc. and at the end of the year you create your own website in html.
    Networking is based on Cisco network fundamentals.
    Hardware - opening up pc's and laptops, installing devices and a bit of assembly language.
    Operating Systems - Windows and Linux. Using virtuals machines, cmd and shell commands.
    Programming - java, your mostly just working through lab sheets using JCreator.

Hope that helps you :)

thanks, yea sounds interesting. i would'nt no much about programming or networking would this be a prob or is it taking at a slow pace?

• Advertisement

No don't worry about that, I didnt know anything when I started! The majority of the class will be in the same boat I'm sure.

Best of luck :)

Got accepted into this :D

Anyone else starting it in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

I believe we will all be in a common first year?

I'll be starting along with you stig in that case (software development lv8.)

I believe we will all be in a common first year?

I'll be starting along with you stig in that case (software development lv8.)

Yea that seems the case.. Will we all be in the same classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I'm doing Software Dev. aswell..I wasn't aware it was a common first year though. All my friends are going to college in Dublin so bit nervous but I'm sure it'll be grand.

• Advertisement

TheStig13 wrote: »
    Yea that seems the case.. Will we all be in the same classes?
    TheStook wrote: »
    I'm doing Software Dev. aswell..I wasn't aware it was a common first year though.

I'm not sure if we'll all be in the same classes at the same time, but if you look at all the computing courses on the carlow IT website, all of the subjects are the same in year one.
    All my friends are going to college in Dublin so bit nervous but I'm sure it'll be grand.

I'm a bit nervous myself, but it's only natural. Like you say, everything will be grand after a few weeks. :)

What's your name by the way? I'll keep an eye out for you.

I'm not sure if we'll all be in the same classes at the same time, but if you look at all the computing courses on the carlow IT website, all of the subjects are the same in year one.

I'm a bit nervous myself, but it's only natural. Like you say, everything will be grand after a few weeks. :)

What's your name by the way? I'll keep an eye out for you.

My name's Sean, and yourself?

registration on the 9th for me. what about yee guys?

My name's Sean, and yourself?

Liam.

The 9th or the 10th, the website will be updated with class specific times tomorrow according to an email they sent me.

I have no idea, haven't received any e-mails or anything but the 9th or 10th I'd imagine?

Good luck lads the Software Development is the best course ever but I am also happy to be finally finished!!!

I have no idea, haven't received any e-mails or anything but the 9th or 10th I'd imagine?

Haven't recieved any emails myself.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Good luck lads the Software Development is the best course ever but I am also happy to be finally finished!!!

If you don't mind me asking:

What's next for you?

Has the course opened doors for you/do you feel like you're ready and employable as a software dev?

Hope that isn't prying too much, feel free not to answer.

Haven't recieved any emails myself.

That's odd, other colleges are as far as I know. Are you from Carlow yourself or?

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me asking:

What's next for you?

Has the course opened doors for you/do you feel like you're ready and employable as a software dev?

Hope that isn't prying too much, feel free not to answer.

Oh I got a job straight out of college because of 4th year project presentation and I did manage a 1.1.
    Software Engineering is rewarding if you are willing to learn and if you are very curious.

I'm registering tomoro , got it mixed up. Was any of yee in Monday and today for the mature orientation programme?

I'm registering tomoro , got it mixed up. Was any of yee in Monday and today for the mature orientation programme?

Nah, even though I'm 23 I went in through the regular CAO path. Were there a lot of you?

Nah, even though I'm 23 I went in through the regular CAO path. Were there a lot of you?

I went in the regular way myself but rang them Today just to double check and they said even doe I went through cao that I've to go in and register tomorrow because I'm 23? I taught I hadn't till register till the 9th

I went in the regular way myself but rang them Today just to double check and they said even doe I went through cao that I've to go in and register tomorrow because I'm 23? I taught I hadn't till register till the 9th

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. One thing is for sure though, I'm not a mature student. I didn't apply through that process and I was 22 on the 1/1/2013. A mature student according to their own website is someone who is 23 on the 1st of january of the year their course begins.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that they have already sent me an email saying I'll be registering on either the 9th or the 10th, so if there is some issue with me not being able to make it tomorrow it's on them and not me. :p

Is our timetable on the Carlow It website?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You'll get your timetable at orientation. They're not up on the website yet, but they're normally here: http://timetable.itcarlow.ie/

If any of ye missed getting the timetable send me a pm and I'll scan mine for you.

Picked one up today at registration.

• Advertisement

If any of ye missed getting the timetable send me a pm and I'll scan mine for you.

Picked one up today at registration.

is that the timetable for software development?

Advertisement