Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree felling restrictions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have taken down countless leylandii all planted in the wrong place causing unnecessary suffering.

It is quite a grower and can do 1 meter in each direction each year if not maintained, given that it can take -40 degrees its on a continental holiday here.

I have not heard of it being used as a lumber tree in forestry before but with its growth potential it wouldnt surprise me.

I do remember being told that the wood is almost waterproof and therefore makes great posts. It takes a little bit longer to dry out when cut but burns ok too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looksee wrote: »
    Story about an oak tree. We bought a site in the country, specifically because it had one of the very few remaining oak trees from what was apparently an oak forest years ago. Our planning permission required that we cut down the oak!! We didn't, it was sound, well off the road and no problem to anyone. Eventually, ten years later we sold the house and six months later got a bill from the new purchasers for removing the oak, in keeping with the planning. Appealed, but the planning authority said, no, the oak had to go. So we had to pay up.
    what was the reason given for the requirement to remove the oak?

Oldtree wrote: »
    I have taken down countless leylandii all planted in the wrong place causing unnecessary suffering.
    i took down a leylandii hedge in my garden earlier this year - about 12' high, 25' long, and 8' deep. it came right up to the back of the house. the difference in the light is incredible.
    later this year, i'll be tackling the other hedge, which is about one and a half times the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I have no time for them, dirty and full of midges. I cleared 20+ of them and planted willow in their place.
    You obviously haven't seen a single leylandii, planted in the right space,50 m and still growing. Impressive.

• Advertisement

so you're talking of about 0.0001% of all leylandiis currently growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You obviously haven't seen a single leylandii, planted in the right space,50 m and still growing. Impressive.

I have seen more than 20 of them, they were dirty and full of midges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

so you're talking of about 0.0001% of all leylandiis currently growing?

I guess in order to educate people I'll have to plant a few acres of leylandii :D
    I know of a belt of Castlewellan Gold planted mid-70s, now about 25m tall, which have provided tremendous shelter to a hedgerow predominantly made up of aspen and hawthorn. The aspen regularly suffered from windsnap at 6 m, but now thanks to the leylands are a happy 15m on average, with stout trunks, and the hawthorns enormous domes currently sporting masses of flowers. The farmer also gets a bumper grass crop each year, and it provides great shelter to beasts.
    With all trees, it's a question of putting the tree in the right place, and a suburban garden is nowhere for a leyland cypress, nor in close proximity to a building. Unfortunately too many people don't take the time to investigate what is suitable for their space-it's as easy of looking around and observing what works and what is patently wrong.

Advertisement