Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Isa Nacewa the best foreign import ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Id have Langford up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We got incredibly lucky with Nacewa. He's an All Black who slipped through the net because of those 3 minutes for Fiji. We basically got an All Black in the prime of his career who was never away on international duty (and had no ambition to move anywhere to increase his international chances) and at the same time totally bought into the whole set-up at Leinster. Amazing attitude, versatility and consistency of performance, he was just as committed and effective on a cold, wet night in Glasgow in the middle of December as he was in those H Cup finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Clareman wrote: »
    also Doug Howlett as better stats than Isa. .

Depends what you call better stats, Howlett has more tries but Isa has way more points.

He has scored tries, kicked conversions penalties & DG's.
    Played in all 9 HEC games in 2011 & 2012

Its a massive contribution that will be near impossible to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tox56 wrote: »
    he was just as committed and effective on a cold, wet night in Glasgow in the middle of December as he was in those H Cup finals.

To me this is what has made Isa my favorite Leinster player. I always bang on about the importance of good NIQ players in the provinces as they more then the Irish players can help bring through the young talent, as they are the ones who actually get to play the most game time with them and Isa more then anyone showed how every game is important and not just the important ones.

The reason I would have Isa ahead of Contepomi, is that Contepomi always blew hot and cold and you never knew exactly what you were going to get from him. Yes he had many a moment of pure magic but there were also a good few wtf moments.

From a Leinster perspective I think Ollie's importance can't be over stated. He helped bring a new level of professionalism to our scrum and without him I don't think we would be here as 3 time HEC champions. The fact that after only one season with us he came out of 'retirement' to give us a hand the following season by playing a few games also helps cement himself as a legend.

Yes I think Hines and Rocky were also immense for us (and a lesser extent Thorne) but I don't think they have helped shape the rest of the squad as much as the others.

Yes I think Hines and Rocky were also immense for us (and a lesser extent Thorne) but I don't think they have helped shape the rest of the squad as much as the others.

Slightly off topic but I was in the gym today and Brad Thorn asked me if I was finished with the bar. Walked off thinking that guy looked like brad thorne, then 10 minutes later remembered the highlanders were playing in perth this weekend.

Agree on the Ollie thing too, he brought a new efficiency to the leinster pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sundy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I was in the gym today and Brad Thorn asked me if I was finished with the bar. Walked off thinking that guy looked like brad thorne, then 10 minutes later remembered the highlanders were playing in perth this weekend.

Agree on the Ollie thing too, he brought a new efficiency to the leinster pack.

Might have been Bakkies, those two look like the brothers of destruction.

Ollie set a higher bar alright, Heinke has contributed more over a longer period

Just looking back at the overseas squad members over the years, lot of success built on the back of guys like Shaun Berne, Owen Finnegan, Will Green, Ben Gissing, Eddie Heineken, Cameron Jowitt

But the daddy of unsung heroes is Chris Whitaker, a true leader, Wallaby, Leinster vice-captain and team manager. Ledge.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Might have been Bakkies, those two look like the brothers of destruction.

It was him alright, another one of the highlanders players was there too. Will be back tomorrow at the same time, see if he is as committed as I am:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

joe schmidt

Advertisement