Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever concert

Options
  • 18-05-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Im off to see Springsteen in July,i first saw him in july 85,but it got me thinking about my first concert ,it was The Jam supported by the then unknown Big Country,not too shameful i guess what was your first concert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Billy Bragg, Connolly Hall in Cork. I think it was around '85 as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Lenny Kravitz at The Point Theatre in March '91. Right up at the front - got a high five from him lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Slane '86.

Queen were the headliners that year.

Supporting acts were Chris Rea, The Bangles & The Fountainhead.

Twas a warm day, but it pissed down a lot of the time.

One highlight for me, was when Queen did Radio Ga Ga & eveyone did the salute to it.

The word was a little bit diffrent then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Memory may fail me a bit here regarding the date, but think it was late 60's, in a field in Bray. The sun was shining and I had flowers in my hair and everyone sat on the grass (the real green grass on the ground, that is!!). I don't even remember paying in, it may have been a locally organised free concert for the kids. Who was playing? I remember it being a young Phil Lynott and the band was probably Skid Row. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong 'cos I can't prove it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

U2 at Croke Park, 1985. Support was In Tua Nua, REM (just before they were famous :)), The Alarm and Squeeze. First big gig at Croke Park, warm sunny day iirc and there was a brilliant party atmosphere all around town.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Paul Simon on the Gracelands Tour. Legendary concert in the Rds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Zaph wrote: »
    U2 at Croke Park, 1985. Support was In Tua Nua, REM (just before they were famous :)), The Alarm and Squeeze. First big gig at Croke Park, warm sunny day iirc and there was a brilliant party atmosphere all around town.

Snap!
    Brilliant gig- support were all brilliant-except-I wasn't impressed with REM,and thought I'd never hear of them again.:o

U2 were great.Cannot remember,but the ticket probably cost peanuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Ok, promise not to laugh folks

The Stylistics at the RDS sometime around 1974
    (I need therapy after that revelation :D)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

msthe80s wrote: »
    Snap!
    Brilliant gig- support were all brilliant-except-I wasn't impressed with REM,and thought I'd never hear of them again.:o

Yeah, REM were dire and I thought they'd vanish into obscurity too. I was always a big fan of In Tua Nua, and I didn't mid Squeeze, but The Alarm were the big surprise of the day. Even though I wasn't a fan, they were absolutely brilliant. I remember being in the crowd when U2 came on, and all of a sudden finding myself about 50 feet closer to the stage than I was a minute before. It was pretty mental. Can't remember how much the tickets were either, but definitely a lot less than I've paid for any big gig since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Lisdoonvarna 1981.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

First was Hawkwind, Cork, 1972. Pretentious rubbish except for the scantilly-clad young wan who appeared, inexplicably, on stage and wafted around for several minutes, looking all......somewhere else, man.
    Most recent was Paul Brady, Cork (again) 2010(?). Just PB and acoustic guitars. What a player! I have exactly the same number of fingers as he has so how on Earth can he get his guitar to sound like that when I can't? Even after 45 years practice?? No justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My first concert (As a Spectator) was Wishbone Ash in Liverpool Stadium. (Long since demolished)

My first ever concert was as a Roadie for Hairy Webster.

jos28 wrote: »
    Ok, promise not to laugh folks

The Stylistics at the RDS sometime around 1974
    (I need therapy after that revelation :D)

Best to get it off your chest! :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    ....first ever concert was as a Roadie for Hairy Webster.

Whotheywherewhatwhen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Whotheywherewhatwhen?

A long defunct rock band. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Leaving aside the Lisdoonvarna festivals, first I remember was The Kinks at the Stadium sometime in '81.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Horslips. Bantry 1977, while working my first summer job in the Gulf Stream Hotel in Baltimore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

A free concert in Cork called "lark by the lee" in 1985 or '86. A fairly tame affair until U2 put in a surprise guest appearance - cue mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Roy Orbison. Adelphi cinema, '65.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Pink Floyd, Earls Court,oct 94.
    It was due to be the second night but became the first after the previous nights show was cancelled just as they came on stage. Seating holding 1200 fans had collapsed.
    It was a great night. I don't normally like live music but glad I made the effort then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

msthe80s wrote: »
    Snap!

Tickets were £12.50, my first gig too. Great line up looking back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BonyMartian

The Undertones, Imperial Hotel, Dundalk on 6 February 1980. Support was another Derry band, The Moondogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

U2, 1978 at the local community centre in Howth. Still not a big a fan as they kept me up one school night practicing I Will Follow for half the night on the next road. That repeated bass line scarred my brain for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The Everly Brothers 1983

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

Deank wrote: »
    Tickets were £12.50, my first gig too. Great line up looking back on it.

Good photo to have. Any photos I ever took at concerts never came out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Simon & Garfunkel Dublin 2004 and the Everly brothers, Don & Phil. Apart from that I passed thru' Woodstock in 1968..............on my way to Vermont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Rory Gallagher Cork City Hall 75/76. Oh the joys of the large bottles of Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Rolling Stones, Slane Castle...early 80's...more to do with the craic and general atmosphere, but the music was good too!

Second best ever: Lisdoonvarna 1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Simple Minds in Croke Park in 1986 for me. In Tua Nua were there as well, (feckin loved Leslie Dowdall) along with The Waterboys and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. Twas a scorcher of a day.

Advertisement