Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

wiz569 wrote: »
    Did you remove the coax first?

yep, tried both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi folks,

After continuing wifi and hardline drops with my old modem (6 months), UPC sent me this new Technicolor box.

And although no drops were seen, we now have a problem with very slow broadband. In the evenings we are getting speeds as low as 2mb with a max of 10mb...

I have a Tech coming out tomorrow, does anyone have any advice for me with the Tech, as it's the third time a tech has called and each time the usual response has been "looks fine, I'll put in a new modem"

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Check that they check the line levels in the box outside.

beauf wrote: »
    Check that they check the line levels in the box outside.

Thanks.... hopefully he'll sort it.

Ended up streaming a movie last weekend from my mobile 3G connection :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

I am wondering what is the router UPC send out to replace the horizon box router which as mentioned is terrible? Will there be a noticeable difference in terms of fewer drop offs and stronger signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

last week i had an epc3925. upgraded my speeds and got horizon(mostly ok but ps4 wireless is unplayable. i get 0.5mb compared to 20mb before) had a moan and said i want my epc3925 back. they said no. got onto another person and they said they dont supply them no more so im being sent a technicolor. from reading this thread, i wish i could go back in time and have not "upgraded" to horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi had no probs with my 120 meg broadband last week.Then all of a sudden my broadband speed is crap at night time.Tech came out and said my line levels were bad and said all was good now.checked my speeds at night and was down to 10 mbs.For some reason my broadband is good during the day and then crappy at night.does anyone else have this problem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So I think I've enabled bridging on my Technicolor TC7200 using the SNMP method, but I'm not 100% certain!

So I can no longer access the router on 192.168.0.1, but only 192.168.100.1 and now there is no "Advanced" tab, DHCP, settings etc.

However the wifi still works on it and if you connected to the UPC wifi or directly to the ethernet port I end up getting an IP address in the range 80.111.180.x

Does that sound right? That it is now bridged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    However the wifi still works on it and if you connected to the UPC wifi or directly to the ethernet port I end up getting an IP address in the range 80.111.180.x

Thats leasing out publics, so yep, its bridged. Connect the wan on your C7 and itll get leased a public just like the PC/phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    Thats leasing out publics, so yep, its bridged. Connect the wan on your C7 and itll get leased a public just like the PC/phone.

Yup, it already is, all worked without any changes on my C7!

It being so easy was what took me by surprise and wondering if it was really bridged!

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Security wise kill that wifi access, nevermind the wireless congestion. If it hands out publics to a wireless client they aren't firewalled other than the OS so any exposed services could be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Yea 4pm to 9/10pm you might as well be looking into a ditch.

So I think I've enabled bridging on my Technicolor TC7200 using the SNMP method, but I'm not 100% certain!

So I can no longer access the router on 192.168.0.1, but only 192.168.100.1 and now there is no "Advanced" tab, DHCP, settings etc.

Would you mind linking me to the thread or site with the SNMP instructions for the Technicolor? I've seen one method in the past but haven't been successful.

Would you mind linking me to the thread or site with the SNMP instructions for the Technicolor? I've seen one method in the past but haven't been successful.

The details are in the first post of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

The details are the same for the Technicolor as for the Thomson. Just one detail not mentioned. Remember to unplug the coax cable from the router before you start.

I've a mac, so it was significantly easier.

The details are the same for the Technicolor as for the Thomson. Just one detail not mentioned. Remember to unplug the coax cable from the router before you start.

Thanks! I'm also on a mac. I have read this thread before, but I'll give it another go. How are your results so far? Also, does UPC have you on DS-Lite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is there issues with using the http://xx.xx.xx.xx/system/switch-mode.asp link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

Thanks! I'm also on a mac. I have read this thread before, but I'll give it another go. How are your results so far? Also, does UPC have you on DS-Lite?

Rock solid so far.

And no, I think I'm still on an IPv4 public address.

Don't forget to turn off the firewall on both the router and mac first. Also I couldn't connect first time. So I telnetted to the router and then disconnected and tried the SNMP command a second time and it worked the second time. Not sure telnet actually did anything, just that playing around with it and trying a few times seemed to get it to work.

At least it is very trivial with a mac or linux. Doing it with windows looks like a total pain!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is there issues with using the http://xx.xx.xx.xx/system/switch-mode.asp link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

Yes, with this router, people report that the router crashes a lot!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is there issues with using the link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

This has never worked for me. It always reverts back. Plugged or not plugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yes, with this router, people report that the router crashes a lot!

I can confirm this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Update on my situation with this router:

When I first got UPC I was on the ridiculous implementation of IPV6 and had horrendous issues. Moving to IPV4 fixed most things. However, since UPC enabled Wi-Free on my account (late Nov.) I've been getting dropped connections about once a week or so. Weirdly, the dropouts went to about once an hour two weeks ago despite no changes to the UPC modem or my Linksys EA6700 running DD-WRT. I was using bridged mode on the modem via the URL, as I could not get any SNMP approach to work (despite extensive efforts). The drops could be replicated on a directly connected laptop too. Releasing & renewing the WAN IP would instantly resolve the issue, but I couldn't find any seamless way of automating this.

Resetting the router to stock and port forwarding every port to the linksys has resolved the drops completely, and I think any performance hit is just imagined.

A few questions:
    - has anyone successfully used SNMP on the technicolor very recently? if so, how?
    - are there any real-world issues with my port-forwarding approach? (obviously the linksys doesn't now have a true external IPV4 address, but effectively it does, right?)

• Advertisement

llatsni wrote: »
    - has anyone successfully used SNMP on the technicolor very recently? if so, how?

I did, last week. However I've had my Technicolor for the last 9 months or so and I'm on a IPv4 address.

I have a mac, so I used that. A few notes:

- It is much easier to do from a mac or linux. If you only have a windows, then you could try running linux on it from a live cd or usb card
    - Make sure to unplug the coax cable first from the upc modem
    - Make sure to switch off the firewall on both your UPC router and you pc/mac
    - The first time I ran the SNMP command it didn't work. I then telnetted into the UPC modem to see if it was available, disconnected and ran the SNMP command a second time and it worked the second time. I don't know if telnet made a difference, but just FYI

Cheers bk, I have a mac, I'll give it another shot.

By the way I eventually got Wi-Free disabled/removed from the modem and it has definitely improved the Linksys wifi signal quality to low power devices. Presumably due to less wifi noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

By the way I eventually got Wi-Free disabled/removed from the modem and it has definitely improved the Linksys wifi signal quality to low power devices. Presumably due to less wifi noise.

How do you remove wifree?

@Fungie you can opt-out on your "My UPC" account online. However it didn't work for me: 72hrs passed with no change despite restarts. A call to 1908 had it removed overnight (once restarted).

I don't know what kind of devices you have, but I keep all of my personal network devices on 5ghz. This way, you can still have the Wi-Free enabled (2.4ghz) and there won't be any interference.

Got a text today from UPC stating that they had found a fault with my service and have it fixed..... May 2014 my "fault started".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

cisk wrote: »
    Seen his post in the UPC BA thread about the hidden bridging mode page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93743794&postcount=80

I just had a look and i can get to the page and change it into bridging mode, it removes the LAN, DHCP and time tabs in basic which is a good sign, just waiting on my Netgear R7000 to arive to properly test it.

Has anyone else tried, it would save the hassle of messing around with snmp or DMZs.

Just did that on my, ahem, trusty TC7200. I've an Asus RT-N66U sitting behind the UPC box (modem only, no TV) and had messed around with DMZ etc. It did work, but was spotty and caused some apps to timeout (Tunein Radio on a SONOS stopped after exactly 15 mins).

Flicked the TC into Bridge mode, and reset the ASUS WAN link to "Automatic IP" and hey presto! Up she came!

Seems to be working fine, response times have certainly improved, was getting full throughput on Router mode, but found that it took X seconds to "Resolving Host" when browsing, thats gone now, and it gets to web pages quite fast.

Did the UPC speed test and got 122Mbps download (120Mb package).

Will verify the SONOS doesn't timeout anymore, but hopefully that's now offloaded the routing to the ASUS for the heavy stuff (I've a Synology Diskstation on the LAN too).

Will keep an eye on it now and see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 minnineman1

HI all new here and im trying to bridge technicolor TC7200 UPC

i have had a look through the thread have seen bridging mentioned but i am unable to understand the solution can any one explain how to do this without all the tecnical terms
    I'm sick of their crappy equipment.

PLEASE HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE

HI all new here and im trying to bridge technicolor TC7200 UPC

i have had a look through the thread have seen bridging mentioned but i am unable to understand the solution can any one explain how to do this without all the tecnical terms
    I'm sick of their crappy equipment.

PLEASE HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE

Details on how to do it on in the first post here:

BTW it is much easier to do with a mac or linux.

• Advertisement

Patrickof wrote: »
    Just did that on my, ahem, trusty TC7200. I've an Asus RT-N66U sitting behind the UPC box (modem only, no TV) and had messed around with DMZ etc. It did work, but was spotty and caused some apps to timeout (Tunein Radio on a SONOS stopped after exactly 15 mins).

Flicked the TC into Bridge mode, and reset the ASUS WAN link to "Automatic IP" and hey presto! Up she came!

Seems to be working fine, response times have certainly improved, was getting full throughput on Router mode, but found that it took X seconds to "Resolving Host" when browsing, thats gone now, and it gets to web pages quite fast.

Did the UPC speed test and got 122Mbps download (120Mb package).

Will verify the SONOS doesn't timeout anymore, but hopefully that's now offloaded the routing to the ASUS for the heavy stuff (I've a Synology Diskstation on the LAN too).

Will keep an eye on it now and see how it performs.

Hmm, I may have spoken too soon.

After a few hours of no use (ie overnight) the internet is "down" and no PC/Mac device is able to get to the 'net. Traceroute stops at the router.

Doing pretty much anything on the router resolves it, but it happens again the following overnight. So it looks like the bridged layer 2 traffic just "freezes".

Will try the other method of putting the TC in bridge mode.

Patrickof wrote: »
    Will try the other method of putting the TC in bridge mode.

Did you use the SNMP method or the web page switch mode?

THe latter is definitely not recommended or stable on the TC7200, you really need to use the SNMP method which for me seems to be rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

THe latter is definitely not recommended or stable on the TC7200, you really need to use the SNMP method which for me seems to be rock solid.

Just a quick question on the SNMP method,

If using a linux live CD do you just enter the command in a terminal window as is or do you need to telnet in first?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the SNMP method,

If using a linux live CD do you just enter the command in a terminal window as is or do you need to telnet in first?

Just enter the command.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

Hi All,

Hopefully this isn't a foolish question, but I do recognise my expertise in this area is limited (I have a basic understanding of IPs and MAC addresses)

I'm trying to get a good solid setup here, and just want to check before I attempt the SNMP method that it's the right thing to do....

I have, in hardware terms....
    • the TC7200 as modem and DCHP server, wifi off
    • Airport Extreme (dual band model - not the current one) as wifi generator
    • Cat 5 cabling in house which feeds from the AE several Airport Expresses creating a romaing network in the house
    • Cat 5 cabling taking wired connections to SKY box, Desktop and HIFI
    My HIFI has a NAIM UnitiQute and a MacMini acting a UPnP server all wired via Ethernet

What I'd like to do is assign static IP addresses to the UnitiQute and the MacMini as the iOS control app makes me undertake a laborious reset everytime either device obtains a new IP from the TC7200 as the network will not permit autodiscover....

I have tried using IP addresses outside the DHCP reserved range
    (192.168.0.8 & 192.168.0.9) and I have tried addresses beyond the number of devices which will ever connect (192.168.0.83 & 192.168.0.84) but both of these meant that I couldn't connect to the internet? (here my knowledge exits stage left -- I have no idea why?)

from reading on here, it would appear that UPC have prevented the use of static IPs?

So.... Is my best option to enable bridging of the internet connection and let the Aiport Extreme handle DHCP -- can this be done?

Many thanks, and again apoligies if this is total beginner stuff!

Johnny

[IMG]http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o773/johnny103/Mobile Uploads/AEA6B2F2-1138-4891-BC0B-81DB51C2A48C_zpsfqsovhcu.jpg[/IMG]

I used the URL method and changed it on the dropdown, causes lots of dropouts.

Will reverse that and try the SNMP method.

• Advertisement

Managed to change the TC7200 to bridge mode via snmpset method.

Here's a summary: (with a few bits that caught me out!)

1. Put TC7200 back in router mode via the URL method (http://192.168.100.1/system/switch-mode.asp)

2. Verified that TC7200 now had all tabs back (Parental etc.)

3. Disabled firewall on Mac, connected ethernet direct to TC7200 from Mac (bypassing my Asus router)

4.In Mac Terminal:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

(Response was: "SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 = INTEGER: 1")

To note on Step 4:
    I could telnet to 192.168.100.1 and got a login prompt but I had to use the snmpset command to 192.168.0.1 (the LAN address of the router)
    Also, AND THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT - DISCONNECT THE WAN CABLE FROM THE TC7200!!!!! The firmware blocks snmpset commands when the WAN is active

5. Logged back into the TC7200 and its in Bridge mode (fewer tabs)

6. Re-wired up everything, turned back on firewall, and put ASUS router back in the mix.

7. All is working well, now to see if it maintains the connection!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nasud75

Hi mates,

I have update about UPC. They install me Technicolor tc7200U with STD1.0.27 firmware, but by new rules they blocked almost all options under
    ADVANCED/OPTIONS. Only WAN Blocking is enable to modify. IPsec/PPTP/Multicast and UPnP are not visible anymore.

So they push me to do your steps with SNMP,because I cannot set ports forwarding for cctv cameras at home (I did it but its blocked get anything out),cant connect my VPNs due PPTP is sure not enabled.

I called them 10x and finally they told me no upgrade to allows me these options, to change it, no router replace... fuc....rs!!

I have last question:
    I have home phone connected to TC, could I use the phone after change?
    I leave phone line connected to TC?

Thanks for help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

nasud75 wrote: »
    Hi mates,

I have update about UPC. They install me Technicolor tc7200U with STD1.0.27 firmware, but by new rules they blocked almost all options under
    ADVANCED/OPTIONS. Only WAN Blocking is enable to modify. IPsec/PPTP/Multicast and UPnP are not visible anymore.

So they push me to do your steps with SNMP,because I cannot set ports forwarding for cctv cameras at home (I did it but its blocked get anything out),cant connect my VPNs due PPTP is sure not enabled.

I called them 10x and finally they told me no upgrade to allows me these options, to change it, no router replace... fuc....rs!!

I have last question:
    I have home phone connected to TC, could I use the phone after change?
    I leave phone line connected to TC?

Thanks for help

First do this test:
    http://test-ipv6.com

If IPv6 is active, it means that UPC have ds-lite enabled on your connection and this will not allow port forwarding.
    If this is the case, all you have to do is ring UPC and ask them to switch the ipv6 off and turn the IPv4 on.

Regards,

Thanks a lot mate its much clear now, strange thing is that UPC tech support cannot change Ipv6 to Ipv4 ,you must to call premium department where you paid for call some num 1550924124 ...horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks a lot mate its much clear now, strange thing is that UPC tech support cannot change Ipv6 to Ipv4 ,you must to call premium department where you paid for call some num 1550924124 ...horrible.

Contact them via THIS LINK and they will sort you at no cost

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Don't!! You can just send a PM to the UPC reps here on boards. They can do it for you, no problem.

OK I try ,but message not posted due : "UPC: Reps has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

It just means you got a moron on the phone.

Some UPC staff are sounds and helpful and some are as ignorant as they can get. :mad:

I rang them the other day and the guy on the phone was having none of it ( No cant do, sorry bout that, not our policy,ring the premium line,etc)
    Hung up, rang again, difference day and night, problem sorted without all the drama previous operator was giving me

OK I try ,but message not posted due : "UPC: Reps has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Try again on Monday when they are online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

davkav wrote: »
    Recently received the TC myself and I have to say I am less than impressed.

Previously had the Scientific Atlanta Modem and my own buffalo router so a lot of functionality that I had on my previous system has been lost.

Port forwarding was not working initially (Synology NAS) but after a quick PM to the UPC reps they assigned me a IPv4 address (see thread regarding DS-lite).

I then noticed that my Synology could not see the WAN address on the router and as such my dyndns account would not update.

I eventually figured out that for the synology to see the WAN address, the static address that I have assigned my Synology has to be within the DHCP pool of addresses?? What the hell is that all about?!

Anyway after much frustration it is all singing and dancing now. Time will tell how stable the unit is but for now it is working fully.
    Dude, thanks for posting this, I was going cracked trying to figure out why my DiskStation wasn't responding on the dydns account, I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow, but what details do you have to send them to get IPv4 instead of IPv6, just your account number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Hi,

Have TC7200 with UPC 60MB Fibre. I've been having several issues with UPC broadband or the router or both.

5 technicians came over, checked the wiring, replaced the modem and I'm still having the following issues:

- Internet drops and comes back at intervals
    - Cannot connect an Iphone 4 and some tables like samsung tab 3 to the wifi. The wifi is on 2.4GHz mode
    - When I connect one laptop and two mobiles wifi doesn't work properly on the mobiles. Becomes really slow.

Any thoughts? Anyone with the same issues?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

Hi outlooks

buy the new decent router (Asus, TP-Link) and bridge TC7200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

genek wrote: »
    Hi outlooks

buy the new decent router (Asus, TP-Link) and bridge TC7200

Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if the fact of being 60MB could be the issue? It would be a first to me but would UPC 120MB be required to supply multiple devices with broadband at same time?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I have my TC7200 connected via ethernet to a DNS320 NAS. Works fine but transfer between the router and NAS maxes out at about 30mbps (*megabits* per second, not megabytes) despite both of them supporting gigabit ethernet. Anybody have any idea why this is and if it can be fixed?

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I have my TC7200 connected via ethernet to a DNS320 NAS. Works fine but transfer between the router and NAS maxes out at about 30mbps (*megabits* per second, not megabytes) despite both of them supporting gigabit ethernet. Anybody have any idea why this is and if it can be fixed?

I had similar here between my PC and a network pvr box, plugged cable from pvr into Ethernet switch instead of direct to router, using max available speed now

• Advertisement
Advertisement