Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

emy wrote: »
    It has been fixed. Now I keep it, the Technicolor TC7200. In settings I enabled the 5GHZ and the wireless speed is now 50Mbs.
    Basic settings of 5GHz access point

..working all Wireless N capable devices but old one no. I do not know why when I enable 2.4GHz I have very low speed. I would enable it to have all my devices working.

Might be a congestion problem on 2.4 if there is a lot of users nearby. You could try changing the channel to see if things improve. For instance My TP-link was set to auto and then suddenly wireless users on my network started having connection/speed problems. I took it off auto and experimented with the manual channels until suddenly all was back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Finding it very difficult to open a port and that portforward.com guide doesn't seem to work. Basically trying to add an exception to host source games and if I can get that working other games in the future
    5dJnF.png.
    This is what I'm trying to add but it stays closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

That should work as thats exactly how I set up my ports

The only difference I can see is the ip is a lot higher then mine but that shouldn't really matter as long as its a valid ip,also make sure its a static ip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Anyone having savage ping spikes with this router at the moment? Gaming is completely unsustainable for me since last week over it. Spiking well over 2000 every 15-20 seconds. Absolute nightmare, and "Premium" Tech support are nearly as clueless as UPC's joke of a service. How can they be this incompetent?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dave147 wrote: »
    Anyone having savage ping spikes with this router at the moment? Gaming is completely unsustainable for me since last week over it. Spiking well over 2000 every 15-20 seconds. Absolute nightmare, and "Premium" Tech support are nearly as clueless as UPC's joke of a service. How can they be this incompetent?
    Didn't savage used to mean good ? :confused:

what does tracert say ?

are you living with leechs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Didn't savage used to mean good ? :confused:

what does tracert say ?

are you living with leechs ?

Never heard of 'good' ping spikes tbh!
    C:\Users\Jasperov>tracert 77.111.216.35

Tracing route to 77.111.216.35 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 28 ms 37 ms 22 ms 79.97.88.1
    3 17 ms 45 ms 26 ms 109.255.251.94
    4 40 ms 57 ms 55 ms 84.116.238.82
    5 58 ms 37 ms 38 ms 84.116.134.178
    6 77 ms 140 ms 32 ms 213.46.165.94
    7 91 ms 137 ms 42 ms xe-11-2-2.lon25.ip4.tinet.net [141.136.107.42]
    8 48 ms 50 ms 60 ms connexions-4-london-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.94.1
    02]
    9 53 ms 62 ms 58 ms ringo-diagmo.c4l.co.uk [84.45.90.46]
    10 46 ms 47 ms 74 ms diagmo-zod.c4l.co.uk [84.45.90.221]
    11 52 ms 60 ms 53 ms zod-non.c4l.co.uk [84.45.110.30]
    12 85 ms 94 ms 47 ms non-platini.c4l.co.uk [84.45.90.190]
    13 38 ms 53 ms 72 ms 77.111.216.35

Trace complete.

No leechers, there's only two of us in the house, ping was never great but it never spiked like this before, it's unplayable at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Dave147 wrote: »
    Never heard of 'good' ping spikes tbh!

No leechers, there's only two of us in the house, ping was never great but it never spiked like this before, it's unplayable at the moment.

I had similar problem for the last 2 days. Ping in WOT normally was max 50 and for the last 2 days well over 130ms. I logged in to Technicolor's control panel and compared all my devices MACs with current DHCP lease list. Found one dodgy one that I am almost sure was someone who hacked the passphrase (silly me I left the default I got from UPC). As soon as I added him to MAC block list to test the ping went down. Next step was to change the passphrase to random one with up and small cases, numbers and insanely long, also hidden the SSID for what it is good. I hope this arsehole will stay away.

By the way the MAC address he cloned seems to be one of an obsolete Thomson printer (!!!)

Make sure that WPS is disabled in Wireless tab. This is well known exploit. Keep it disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

UPC just sent us one of these after complaining about the Horizon box' godawful wireless signal. Tried running it off a coax and again off an ethernet from the Horizon itself. No luck with the former, as for the latter, while I could get an internet connection through both the Horizon box and TC7200 on my Macbook, strangely none of the Windows laptops in the house could then connect through either one. Any advice on how to get the two working together (preferably leaving the TV to the Horizon and letting the TC7200 handle the net)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I have the same router and struggle to connect one of my laptops.......it connects but whenever i open browsers(IE, firefox, chrome).......its says not data received. I have to reset the router and restart my laptop, but it works sometime and does not sometimes.

The internet works flawlessly on other 2 laptops, 1 tablet and 2 mobile phones.

Please help as to what could be the issue in this one laptop(it works sometimes it does not sometime)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

I got scientific atlanta modem and DDWRT wifi router and no problems at all (modem does just right as in my area they can only provide 30Mb) I would suggest all to find some cisco modem instead of this rubbish box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

domel wrote: »
    I got scientific atlanta modem and DDWRT wifi router and no problems at all (modem does just right as in my area they can only provide 30Mb) I would suggest all to find some cisco modem instead of this rubbish box.

If it was that easy we would have done it ages ago,they don't allow you to use your own modern

• Registered Users Posts: 14 orky87

gasman77 wrote: »
    Captain, re your 30Mb link

Whatever was in that link must have been useful cos it didn't take them long to take it down!

Apparently they changed their minds as soon as they got some positive ad-exposure.

Here's a discussion about it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063005&page

and

Thanks to Arciphel, here's that pdf file that they removed: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/42313/278692.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fartfile

One of these delivered for me this week while I was away. Am trying to get it setup to my own preferences this evening with not too much luck.

Any pointers on getting it to change from the default IP 192.168.0.1 ?

Has anyone managed to disable DHCP on this box and use their own router? So far I'm finding that my router won't/cannot 'see' the cable modem even though I've cloned a Mac address

Hi, anyone have any success trying to get the IP changed by backing up the config file, DLing/modifying it, and then reapplying it? Just curious if this was a reasonable idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

is it possible to enable wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is it possible to enable wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz????
    Not with this firmware.

Like I posted earlier here is a manual with other disabled options, like adding USB drives
    http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

Not with this firmware.

Like I posted earlier here is a manual with other disabled options, like adding USB drives
    http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

Its not possible to update it, is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheCountEIRE

Just got one of these with a recent "upgrade", thankfully still have the old cisco EPC3925,

Wireless is absolutely pathetic, neither router has the range to reach my room, (houseshare with mates) and this is a disaster as i dont have a laptop only a desktop and no phone with wi fi capabilities,

It seems my best option is to bridge the old cisco and buy a new router,

Can anyone link me to a walkthrough of the bridging and also recommend a good router with a strong wireless for reasonable money, talking maybe 50 quid upper limit here!

Cheers!

ask over on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86

usual stuff - try all orientations to see which works , mine is on it's side vertical / use tinfoil a short distance away to reflect the signal

if I need to open the port 3902 for an application, what is the correct option "ports filters" "forwarding" or "port triggers"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

if I need to open the port 3902 for an application, what is the correct option "ports filters" "forwarding" or "port triggers"

"Forwarding"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

fartfile wrote: »
    Hi, anyone have any success trying to get the IP changed by backing up the config file, DLing/modifying it, and then reapplying it? Just curious if this was a reasonable idea.

Assume you are talking about the changing the IP addr of the router - so just go into the LAN setup page and change it to whatever you want, save and router should reboot.
    Easier to do this when connected via cable not wireless.

WW

ask over on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86

usual stuff - try all orientations to see which works , mine is on it's side vertical / use tinfoil a short distance away to reflect the signal

Half the post there have no replies what so ever...

As for the second suggestion, are for you real? or just trying to get a rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just got one of these with a recent "upgrade", thankfully still have the old cisco EPC3925,

Wireless is absolutely pathetic, neither router has the range to reach my room, (houseshare with mates) and this is a disaster as i dont have a laptop only a desktop and no phone with wi fi capabilities,

It seems my best option is to bridge the old cisco and buy a new router,

Can anyone link me to a walkthrough of the bridging and also recommend a good router with a strong wireless for reasonable money, talking maybe 50 quid upper limit here!

Cheers!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

Voila

ED E wrote: »

Cheers but after realizing that its actually no good to me since the cisco is limited to the old connection speed. Ffs.

I was just on to UPC and they informed me after talking aload of absolute bull, in which the lad definitely had no clue what was going on, i could plug another router into the ethernet port at the back of the TC7200 and that would help the wireless signal, now im not exactly sure how that'd work with no bridge support and with the cluelessness of the lad on the phone im a bit dubious, so any truth to this so called "solution" ?

Half the post there have no replies what so ever...

As for the second suggestion, are for you real? or just trying to get a rise?
    Maybe if you didn't get snarky and cross post on 3 forums someone might help you ;)

Maybe if you didn't get snarky and cross post on 3 forums someone might help you ;)

Except being told to cross post by non other then yourself.

Also Tinfoil? Really.

Cheers but after realizing that its actually no good to me since the cisco is limited to the old connection speed. Ffs.

If its the 3925 its just as capable as the Technicolor. Both are EURODOCSIS3.0 compliant so can do the full 200, its only the old 2425s that cant do the new packages.

ED E wrote: »
    If its the 3925 its just as capable as the Technicolor. Both are EURODOCSIS3.0 compliant so can do the full 200, its only the old 2425s that cant do the new packages.

I presume its been limited by UPC themselves?, i've tested this, it wont go above the old 60meg connection speeds.

Is it possible to fix this limitation then since the router is actually capable?

• Advertisement

I presume its been limited by UPC themselves?, i've tested this, it wont go above the old 60meg connection speeds.

Is it possible to fix this limitation then since the router is actually capable?

Yeah, they just reprovision it. Its a few clicks from their end. The wifi will only push 40Mb on it but if you connect with gig you'll see the full speed.

Advertisement