Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Britpop single?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭

Big feature in current NME which has their top 100, I won't say what number 1 is for the moment although ye can easily look it up I know.

Well???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

It can only be...Common People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The Auteurs are only at number 34, this list has no merit!

Whoever can guess which band occupies THE ENTIRE FLIPPING TOP 5 wins a box of USA assorted biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Pulp "Something Changed" not in the top 10. Boooo Hisssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not necessarily their Britpop phase, but 'Lazarus' by The Boo Radleys is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

havent seen the list

surely its oasis with the top 5 and then wonderwall or dont look back in anger at the top ?

• Advertisement

havent seen the list

surely its oasis with the top 5 and then wonderwall or dont look back in anger at the top ?
    Yep, almost spot on. Except 'Live Forever' is at the top. I knew well when I saw that NME had published a top 50 britpop singles list it was going to be predictable.

My personal favourite would be 'Animal Nitrate' by Suede.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Slight return by the bluetones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yep, almost spot on. Except 'Live Forever' is at the top. I knew well when I saw that NME had published a top 50 britpop singles list it was going to be predictable.

My personal favourite would be 'Animal Nitrate' by Suede.

should have guessed that or something else, them 2 are way too mainstream for a lot of people to vote as their number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Someone has the wrong list here, not sure what ye're looking at? Oasis have 2 in the top 10, cigs and alcohol highest at 3, supersonic at 7.

The list is actually very good IMO, and Animal Nitrate is top 10. Nice to hear from another Auteurs fan, showgirl is 41, not their best song for me but maybe best single alright. Superfurries have 2 in the top 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

While I imagine Oasis were No 1, my own favourite was Disco 2000 by Pulp

• Advertisement

Someone has the wrong list here, not sure what ye're looking at? Oasis have 2 in the top 10, cigs and alcohol highest at 3, supersonic at 7.

The list is actually very good IMO, and Animal Nitrate is top 10. Nice to hear from another Auteurs fan, showgirl is 41, not their best song for me but maybe best single alright. Superfurries have 2 in the top 20.
    Ah, I was looking at this list here on their website:
    http://www.nme.com/photos/50-greatest-britpop-songs-ever-as-voted-by-you/307586/1/1?recache=1&t=1231311

They have a different list in their current magazine apparently:
    http://www.nme.com/magazine/issue/britpop-laid-bare

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Supergrass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

While we're on the subject, anyone hear the Brit pop weekend on 2fm a couple of months ago? Good to hear a lot of those tunes again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 El Chucko

huey1975 wrote: »

Great tune

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

huey1975 wrote: »

Where did they go?....

Bit morbid but liked Gene's For The Dead.

Frito wrote: »
    Where did they go?....

Sleep well tonight was a great tune as well. They had a song on a free tape that came with select magazine around that time called I can't help myself which I absolutely loved, must have been a B-side or something but it was one of those songs that I couldn't get out of my head, can't now either that I've thought of it again.

Oh and top 10 for the NME list is
    1. Common people
    2. Girls and boys
    3. cigs and alcohol
    4. connection(Elastica)
    5. Yes (McAlmont and Butler)
    6. End of a century
    7. Supersonic
    8. Reverend Black Grape
    9. Animal nitrate
    10. Sorted for E's and wizz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Girls & Boys" - more or launched "Britpop" as a concept when it hit the top 5 (although Suede and Blur had laid the groundwork the year before), still a fantastic pop tune.

loyatemu wrote: »
    "Girls & Boys" - more or launched "Britpop" as a concept when it hit the top 5 (although Suede and Blur had laid the groundwork the year before), still a fantastic pop tune.
    If this magazine cover didn't launch Britpop as a concept I don't know what did.

tumblr_l7hdu0dPtP1qadsauo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

wake up boo will always be my favourite britpop single

• Advertisement

Sleep well tonight was a great tune as well. They had a song on a free tape that came with select magazine around that time called I can't help myself which I absolutely loved, must have been a B-side or something but it was one of those songs that I couldn't get out of my head, can't now either that I've thought of it again.

Yup, lovely tune. Him, piano. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zero1986 wrote: »
    If this magazine cover didn't launch Britpop as a concept I don't know what did.

tumblr_l7hdu0dPtP1qadsauo1_400.jpg

Select was a great magazine (I had some of those free posters on my wall).

also - I'd completely forgotten about Denim, saw their single loads of times on 120 Minutes but never got hold of the album. And look - here it is on Spotify

also - I'd completely forgotten about Denim, saw their single loads of times on 120 Minutes but never got hold of the album. And look - here it is on Spotify
    I haven't gotten around to listening to any Denim albums yet, but I'm familiar with Lawrence Hayward's previous band Felt who were amazing and highly recommended to anyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Frito wrote: »
    Where did they go?....

Yeah they just kinda disappeared!

That was a great single. Seen them many moons ago at The Big Day Out in Galway-good times :)

Blur collaborated with Francoise Hardy and recorded an Anglo-Franco version of To The End. It was lovely, much better than original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hmm, never heard if the auteurs, must give them a listen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Football Manager

Suede - Trash
    Mansun - Wide Open Space
    Placebo - Nancy Boy
    Manics - A Design for Life

Suede - Trash
    Mansun - Wide Open Space
    Placebo - Nancy Boy
    Manics - A Design for Life

Only Trash fits the genre and I wouldn't even put in in Suede's top 10 singles if I'm honest.

Hmm, never heard if the auteurs, must give them a listen

Well worth it, they have an anthology out, you could start there. Luke Haines has a good deal of solo stuff out plus a collaboration with Cahal Coughlan and the music journal Andrew Muller under the name The North Sea Scrolls.

• Advertisement

Select was a great magazine (I had some of those free posters on my wall).

Lawrence is still about. He released an album under the moniker Go-Kart Mozart last year. That Denim album was wonderful. Loved 'The Osmonds'.

Advertisement