Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Dougie Memory

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Teferi wrote: »
    What's the apology for? Never heard of that.

A tribute thread is not really the place for that discussion, just go off and google "doug Howlett heathrow", it all happened a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Swiwi wrote: »
    Tribute to Dougie

In June 2000, when Dougie pulled on the Black Jersey for the first time and ran out onto Albany Stadium to face Tonga, few people would have guessed Howlett would go on to become the ABs record try-scorer. On the face of it, blinding speed was his main asset, but that is hardly an unusual characteristic in a winger. No brute power like Lomu, no big fend like Umaga, no fancy pirouetting like Rococoko. When the NZ Herald and its readers decided on the greatest ABs of the modern era, Howlett’s name did not appear. Instead, Kirwan, Williams, Lomu, Wilson, and Umaga made the list. And yet Doug was a genius in his own way – he could be best summed up as a “right man right place” sort of winger.

If you google his myriad of tries, you mostly see Doug taking a simple final pass and flopping over the try-line, or touching down in that 2-handed way of his. What the clips never show is his immaculate reading of the game and unerring positional sense, both on attack & defence, and his high work-rate, all of which brought him so many tries. Goodbye JK at 35, sayonara Lomu at 37, slán Wilson at 44, and finally thanks for the memories Cullen at 46, before calling it a halt at 49. No doubt he would have reached the magical mark of 50, had he not been inexplicably rested for that fateful match against France. When Michalak broke out and set Jauzion away for the winning score, it was ironically down Doug’s right wing side.

Unlike Justin, I don’t think Doug is the greatest kick-chaser of all time (that remains Habana for me), but I’ll always remember him as the consummate professional, a thinking man’s winger. In 2008, I had the privilege to meet Doug in person, when he and some of his Munster teammates visited my workplace in Cork. He was exactly as I expected – down to earth, humble, and engaging. I’m sure Doug will continue to contribute to our great game, and he’ll always be welcome in Ireland or New Zealand, wherever he decides to settle. Doug Howlett – AB legend (62 matches, 49 tries).

You haven't mention is phenomenal tackle! Like Mafi, there were times when he could cut a person in half while driving them back metres. Brilliant to watch! There is a YouTube compilation somewhere of a young Dougie, who suffered a late tackle quite early in some match. Well, he spent the rest of the match targeting the poor offender. You almost feel sorry for the poor guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You haven't mention is phenomenal tackle! Like Mafi, there were times when he could cut a person in half while driving them back metres. Brilliant to watch! There is a YouTube compilation somewhere of a young Dougie, who suffered a late tackle quite early in some match. Well, he spent the rest of the match targeting the poor offender. You almost feel sorry for the poor guy!

Linked on page 1 off the thread or just look up Howlett v Rose on youtube

Advertisement