Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Certain multi-sport events balance out the training and many find it to be more enjoyable than one sport alone...
    Oi stop recruiting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

RedRunner wrote: »
    My God......really? You're 21 next year?!:)

Take care RC. I know you'll be back and then there'll be no stopping you.

Ah RR ya charmer, I'm grinning just like this :D
    Hi Runchick

Chin up missus.

You have been a genuine inspiration to me here - in how you keep coming back at it no matter what. I know you have personal stuff not reported here on boards going on as well as the medical stuff too. Of course that will take it's toll. You may well be right about over training versus your circumstances but don't look at a lack of sessions as a step back. Look at it as time to spend enjoying the run with no pressure - enjoy the break away from life. Please don't go lurking on us. We would miss you !

In regards to your last sentence. It's not quite your situation but I had to come back from a zero base again, having put back on a pile of weight and lost the ability to even run 500m. All that due to initial injury, life in general, babies, my own laziness and complete and utter lack of motivation to run. I'm back now enjoying the running and smashing PBs all over the place in the last couple of months. There's always a way back if you give it the time and patience.

Thanks PM, you certainly have come a long way the past few months, long may your PB smashin' continue!! The medical stuff happened as a result of the stressful stuff - I tried to outrun it but it caught me :P

You love running and you're a hard worker. Of course you'll be back, fitter and faster when life lets you. Just listen to your body telling you when enough is enough until it's ready for more.

Btw all the cool people will be planning milestone birthday events in 2015 ;) Certain multi-sport events balance out the training and many find it to be more enjoyable than one sport alone...

Jaysus, I've had 2 people trying to get me on the bike today, and now you! Still not convinced...heart's in the running :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hi Runchick. This guy was recommended to me last year when I had 'stuff' going on. I didn't have to go to him in the end but I've heard from a few different sources that he's good for overtraining issues. Only downside is it'll cost you. 120 I think for a consultation... and he's in Dublin and you're not...:( I really hope you get to the bottom of it all soon:)
    Don't stop logging!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Oi stop recruiting :P

Oi back in your box, adventure racer / mountain runner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi Runchick. This guy was recommended to me last year when I had 'stuff' going on. I didn't have to go to him in the end but I've heard from a few different sources that he's good for overtraining issues. Only downside is it'll cost you. 120 I think for a consultation... and he's in Dublin and you're not...:( I really hope you get to the bottom of it all soon:)
    Don't stop logging!

Thanks Ososlo life takes me to Dublin from time to time so I'll keep this in mind :)
    Gavlor wrote: »

U been talkin to my OH? And there was me thinking it was the women did the nagging :p

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

So sorry to hear things aren't going well RC, make sure you mind yourself first and foremost. Also please keep us posted how your getting on, as someone else said there your an inspiration to us all! Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just seeing this now RC. Hope you get sorted. Best wishes.

June summary

60 miles, 541 for the year so far.

June has been all about facing up to the fact that I have been overtrained and working out a proper recovery plan. I have been overcooked since I started this log a year ago. The HR stats told the story - increasing HR and slower pace, but I chose to ignore them. Anyway on track now for a proper recovery. Have only been running between 3 and 5 miles every other day at a low effort and already the HR is dropping considerably. I'll take that as a good sign of things moving in the right direction.

July will be more of the same, low effort stuff every second day and maybe gradually push the weekend run up to 8 or 9 miles. I'll reassess then. Must admit to really missing the long runs but can see the bigger picture now (at last!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you back at it. Are you sure the problem was overtraining though - where is this coming from?

Runchick wrote: »
    June summary

60 miles, 541 for the year so far.

June has been all about facing up to the fact that I have been overtrained and working out a proper recovery plan. I have been overcooked since I started this log a year ago. The HR stats told the story - increasing HR and slower pace, but I chose to ignore them. Anyway on track now for a proper recovery. Have only been running between 3 and 5 miles every other day at a low effort and already the HR is dropping considerably. I'll take that as a good sign of things moving in the right direction.

July will be more of the same, low effort stuff every second day and maybe gradually push the weekend run up to 8 or 9 miles. I'll reassess then. Must admit to really missing the long runs but can see the bigger picture now (at last!!)

Good to see ya logging again RC and to hear your minding yourself. Just on keeping track of HR since I started wearing my monitor on my runs I'm realising what a valuable training tool it is, it's always bang on how I'm feeling.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good to see you back at it. Are you sure the problem was overtraining though - where is this coming from?

Oh yep definitely overtraining - fatigue, struggling to hold any kind of pace, recurrent upper respiratory infections, high HR comparable to before, being a grump (OH has confirmed this one :p)...had it confirmed after London marathon (even though I had suggested it to GP on many many occasions before and he dismissed it :rolleyes:)...not sure running was the sole cause but that as well as other stresses burnt me out basically. Only now am I realising the difference between normal running fatigue and what I have been experiencing...I had completely lost the spring in my step. Only really understanding this now and its all falling in to place.
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    Good to see ya logging again RC and to hear your minding yourself. Just on keeping track of HR since I started wearing my monitor on my runs I'm realising what a valuable training tool it is, it's always bang on how I'm feeling.

Thanks DOCO yep the HR tracking is super - definitely keeps you honest, I tried to ignore what it was telling me for a long time, stoopid :(

July update

I think my running has finally hit rock bottom.

60 odd miles, 3 to 6 miles every other day at a snails pace.

Back to consultant - bad news - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The only good thing is I can continue the low volume/ low intensity running. HRM is a must, especially in the heat, keeping things very easy which means always walking up hills and sometimes just having to take walk breaks to keep effort low.

Taking meds to help with sleep.

Recovery period - usually 12 months if don't overdo things and rest properly. Some people recover in 6 months but can also take years. For now I'm being optimistic that I'll get away with a year or so.

That was all grand, came to terms with things, was happy that at least I could get out for the odd plod, dog was delighted as it meant she got out on every run! Some nice runs this month on a few weekends away and a family holiday last week - always nice to explore new places on the run :D

Until Sunday when I did some gardening and couldn't get up again. Back of hip aching, couldn't walk. Saw physio - basically muscles are fatigued, has led to muscle spasms and this has led to hip bone being pulled out of place - ouch! Couldn't get it back in today so have to go back next week.

Long story short, can't walk properly, never mind run.

Not one to give up though so I think I'll be hitting the pool this week, gotta keep sane somehow :rolleyes:

Think this is the end of the road (for now anyway) for this log. Just thought I'd post my experience to make people aware of what can happen and also to make anyone moaning about running in the heat, or not hitting training paces, or missing target times in races to catch themselves on and be grateful that they're out there running....lucky, lucky people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh dear, A, sorry to hear that news - not good at all. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad, and of course you have a lot on your plate with work/school/family. Stay as well as you can and keep us in the loop if you have the energy or the inclination!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Aww Runchick sorry hear about your ill health n struggles at moment , here's hoping u recover sooner rather than later, u are a real fighter n WILL get back to where u were given time. Best wishes n look after yourself x

Murph_D wrote: »
    Oh dear, A, sorry to hear that news - not good at all. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad, and of course you have a lot on your plate with work/school/family. Stay as well as you can and keep us in the loop if you have the energy or the inclination!

Thanks D I'll be following your Berlin build up for sure, best of luck with the rest of the training, seems all good so far :)

New runner wrote: »
    Aww Runchick sorry hear about your ill health n struggles at moment , here's hoping u recover sooner rather than later, u are a real fighter n WILL get back to where u were given time. Best wishes n look after yourself x

Hey NR thanks, great to see you posting. Was wondering how you got on in Derry?

Really sorry to read of this. You are one person I always have great respect for around here. You have a superb attitude which will stand to you in your recovery. You'll be back before you know it. At least you got to the bottom of it finally.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Really sorry to read of this. You are one person I always have great respect for around here. You have a superb attitude which will stand to you in your recovery. You'll be back before you know it. At least you got to the bottom of it finally.

Thanks Ososlo I've a feeling that when I get back in to things your name will have changed to something along the lines of speedster ;) Best of luck with your training :)

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Thanks Ososlo I've a feeling that when I get back in to things your name will have changed to something along the lines of speedster ;) Best of luck with your training :)

ha ha you never know:) Thanks so much Runchick and speedy recovery to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Very sorry to hear this, I hope you can get sorted soon. I've always enjoyed following your training, so hopefully we hear from you back here at some stage. Mind yourself.

Very sorry to hear this, I hope you can get sorted soon. I've always enjoyed following your training, so hopefully we hear from you back here at some stage. Mind yourself.

Thanks OP I see you're motoring very nicely yourself these days, great stuff smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck Ang, fortunately there's alot more to life than running!

Stay classy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah Jebus A, that's not what any of us wanted to hear. I guess you are where you are and in the greater scheme of things marathon running is way down the list of priorities. At least if you can swim and do a bit of running here and there you'll be in good shape when triathlon season comes around next year ;) (no I haven't stopped - and you know you want to :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Aw, that's awful. Really sorry to hear that. Your health is your wealth though as they say so do look after yourself. You'll be sorely missed round here though. Say hello to my namesake and your OH for me and hope to meet the both of you again some time in the future.

Be sure to look in now and again and say hello :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna advise you to drop my OH (Brianderunner) a PM - the situation sounds very similar regarding overtraining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Really sorry to hear that A. :( Hoping you get over it soon. Keep in touch here!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck Ang, fortunately there's alot more to life than running!

Stay classy ;)

Cheers Gav there's def a lot more to life (and it doesn't involve lycra ;))
    Ah Jebus A, that's not what any of us wanted to hear. I guess you are where you are and in the greater scheme of things marathon running is way down the list of priorities. At least if you can swim and do a bit of running here and there you'll be in good shape when triathlon season comes around next year ;) (no I haven't stopped - and you know you want to :D)

You're not gonna give up are ya :p
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Aw, that's awful. Really sorry to hear that. Your health is your wealth though as they say so do look after yourself. You'll be sorely missed round here though. Say hello to my namesake and your OH for me and hope to meet the both of you again some time in the future.

Be sure to look in now and again and say hello :)

Thanks so much RR and best of luck with DCM, I'll be checking in on your progress :)
    Gonna advise you to drop my OH (Brianderunner) a PM - the situation sounds very similar regarding overtraining.

Will do - a good news story I hope - fully recovered and back running???
    blockic wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that A. :( Hoping you get over it soon. Keep in touch here!

Hey blocky thanks mate, sounds like you're well on the road back to your old self, delighted for ya :D

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear this RC, really do wish you all the best with everything and I've no doubt we will see ya back here stronger than ever. All the best with everything and mind yourself x

Advertisement