Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From unfit to my first event

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

I own a Trek 1200 which has been barely used in the last 3 years.

I used to cycle 15km every day for work and go on 70km spins at weekends but not in a long, long while.

Have started into the commuting again, it's harder then I remember! But then I was 30kg lighter when I used to do it :o

I've never managed Howth Hill from the village side without getting off & pushing but I've done it alright from Sutton side. That's a goal for sure

I'm very unfit, a shade over 100kg and average height but I'm doing other training also and the weight is coming down steadily.

Wanting to get back into the cycling

Goals are by October 1st so about 18 weeks or so
    • Consistently keep at the communting, I'm a lot slower then I used to be!
    • Cycle Howth Hill from village side
    • Be able to do back to back laps of Howth Hill from Sutton side
    • North Clare 120km North Clare Cycle 120km on Saturday September 21st

Another poster linked to the Sean Kelly Comeragh Challenge 160km training plan which is for 16 weeks.
    This suits my goal perfectly! I think it's achievable looking at this plan, I need to shed weight for sure but I'll consistently work at it

I'm not sure if 120km by end of September is realistic & tough or just plain off the wall & foolish but I'll try dammit :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Fair play to you for getting back at it..You have done the hardest bit in my opinion by getting back in the saddle...Keep up the good work and that 120 km will be a breeze to you by september..just go at your own pace and you will be grand...i have shed 2 stone in last 3 months since i started cycling regularly and just a small change in my diet so its very doable...best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Fair play for getting back to it, should be no problem to you. Make sure to get a schedule and stick to it, especially for the commuting which should actually make it easier as it provides the time structure you need (must start at ...am, must be in by .....am and so on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Well done. Stick with your plan and you'll have no trouble in September.

Advertisement