Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally! The truth is coming out about Syria

Options
  • 11-05-2013 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

I see now that the rebels are losing on all fronts the Western media has quit lying about them being unified in any meaningful way.
    By Paul Danahar
    BBC Middle East bureau chief, Damascus

...the FSA - that you have been hearing so much about - does not exist.

A better title would be MWG, or men with guns, because having guns and firing them in the same direction is the only thing that unites them.

The word "army" suggests a cohesive force with a command structure. Almost two years after the FSA was created, that remains illusive.

The Western media has also come clean about Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
    These are both sorely undemocratic states, they are not champions of democracy either at home or abroad.

Saudi Arabia and Qatar are meddling in Syria for thoroughly selfish reasons. Freedom, democracy and human rights have absolutely nothing to do with why they are arming the rebels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22456875

And since both of those undemocratic states have received US help arming the rebels we can add President Obama to the list of people meddling in Syria for selfish reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Western media (for the last years) have censored any Syrian viewpoint that opposed the fake revolution.
    When 1 million marched in Damascus in support of the Syrian Army in 2012, they refused to show images.
    When millions came out to vote in 2012 (52% turnout in full war) for Establishment parties, they barely mentioned it.
    The Irish Times gushed over Islamic extremists like they were Medecin Sans Fronteres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Haha yeah, the western media are full of crap and your source................the western media, genius

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Haha yeah, the western media are full of crap and your source................the western media, genius

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

the fact is nobody really knows whats going on out there. yer man says as much in that article

the fact is nobody really knows whats going on out there. yer man says as much in that article

We know what's going on alright. Whether or not the rebel promoters want to believe it is another matter.

For instance, we know Syria's rebel leader believes the rebels lack the military skill needed to topple Assad.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/05/07/190602/syrian-rebel-leader-salim-idriss.html#.UYo9fkrvuqR

We also know that Syrian forces have been on a successful offensive for weeks.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/assad-forces-capture-strategic-town-in-southern-syria-1.1385980

And we know that when the US and its lackeys instigated the "Syrian revolution" they assumed Assad would fall quickly, but that clearly hasn't happened.

It is abundantly clear that the rebels are no match for Syrian forces backed by Russia and Iran, and the US knows it too. And that is why the US are bringing back the Geneva plan that they abandoned last June because their attempt to force regime change has failed miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

cyberhog wrote: »
    And we know that when the US and its lackeys instigated the "Syrian revolution"

News to me. You've some evidence of this?

I think this needs to be moved to the conspiracy theory forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

are you for real?

G Power wrote: »
    are you for real?

Eh yes. The western media are conspiring to cover up the fact that the US government are conspiring to over throw the Syrian regime?. None of which can be proven, therefore it is a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Together with planned obsolescence theory...

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    News to me. You've some evidence of this?

From the Telegraph, Friday, October 5, 2007
    Wurmser calls for US instigated "regime change" in Iran & Syria

America should seize every opportunity to force regime change in Syria and Iran, a former senior adviser to the White House has urged.

Mr Wurmser's... hard-line stances on regime change in Iran and Syria are understood to have formed the basis of policy documents approved by Mr Cheney, an uncompromising hawk who is deeply sceptical about the effectiveness of diplomatic pressure on Teheran...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1565235/US-must-break-Iran-and-Syria-regimes.html

Also from 2007, Seymour Hersh described how the US and its lackeys were working to weaken Assad.

The U.S. has ... taken part in clandestine operations aimed at Iran and its ally Syria.

...The clandestine operations have been kept secret, in some cases, by leaving the execution or the funding to the Saudis, or by finding other ways to work around the normal congressional appropriations process, current and former officials close to the Administration said.

...Flynt Leverett, a former Bush Administration National Security Council official, told me..."This is all part of the campaign of provocative steps to increase the pressure on Iran. The idea is that at some point the Iranians will respond and then the Administration will have an open door to strike at them."

...In the past year, the Saudis, the Israelis, and the Bush Administration have developed a series of informal understandings about their new strategic direction...the Saudi government, with Washington’s approval, would provide funds and logistical aid to weaken the government of President Bashir Assad, of Syria.

...The United States has also given clandestine support to the Siniora government, according to the former senior intelligence official and the U.S. government consultant. “We are in a program to enhance the Sunni capability to resist Shiite influence, and we’re spreading the money around as much as we can,” the former senior intelligence official said. The problem was that such money “always gets in more pockets than you think it will,” he said. "In this process, we’re financing a lot of bad guys" ...

Walid Jumblatt, who is the leader of the Druze minority in Lebanon and a strong Siniora supporter... met with Vice-President Cheney in Washington last fall to discuss, among other issues, the possibility of undermining Assad.

Jumblatt said, “We told Cheney that the basic link between Iran and Lebanon is Syria—and to weaken Iran you need to open the door to effective Syrian opposition.”

There is evidence that the Administration’s redirection strategy has already benefitted the Brotherhood. The Syrian National Salvation Front is a coalition of opposition groups whose principal members are a faction led by Abdul Halim Khaddam, a former Syrian Vice-President who defected in 2005, and the Brotherhood. A former high-ranking C.I.A. officer told me, “The Americans have provided both political and financial support. The Saudis are taking the lead with financial support, but there is American involvement.”

...The Bush Administration’s reliance on clandestine operations that have not been reported to Congress and its dealings with intermediaries with questionable agendas have recalled, for some in Washington, an earlier chapter in history. Two decades ago, the Reagan Administration attempted to fund the Nicaraguan contras illegally, with the help of secret arms sales to Iran. Saudi money was involved in what became known as the Iran-Contra scandal, and a few of the players back then—notably Prince Bandar and Elliott Abrams—are involved in today’s dealings.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03/05/070305fa_fact_hersh?currentPage=all

Now if you look at the Syrian opposition today the group that is widely regarded as the best-equipped, financed and motivated force fighting Assad is Al-Nusra i.e. "the bad guys"

In the OP the Western media acknowledged the US and its lackeys are not helping the rebels for freedom democracy and human rights so I don't quite understand why you defend the US when they are clearly not acting in the interest of the Syrian people.

I know Syrians have genuine reasons for wanting to overthrow Assad but the US couldn't care less about helping the people. The only thing that Washington cares about is having unchallenged dominance.

From the Telegraph,(.............)dominance.

Wurmser et al are out in the cold, for obvious reasons.

While I've no doubt that various factions were and are aided by outside forces, I still see nothing to indicate that the source of the current conflict lies outside Syria. This is a regime that policed marches with riflemen on rooftops.

I still see nothing to indicate that the source of the current conflict lies outside Syria.

Then I suggest you need to look a bit harder. U.S. General Wesley Clark (Ret.) has stated publicly on numerous occasions that the US began planning in 2001 to overthrow 7 countries.
    " we’re going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran."
    http://www.democracynow.org/2007/3/2/gen_wesley_clark_weighs_presidential_bid

Obviously the timeline and sequence has changed, but the plan is still underway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seems that some of the media outlets are starting to cop on to the fact that the government forces have made some significant gains over the last number of weeks. The Al-Qusayr & Rif Dimashq offensives are proving to be successful for the army, and it is likely that the army will significantly step up its operations over the summer months.

The rebel forces within the outskirts of Damascus have been cut off, and Al-Qusayr has seemingly been totally surrounded by government forces. The Syrian Arab Army seems to be consolidating the gains it has made over the last couple of weeks.

The FSA will not be able to topple the regime without outside intervention, that is now a certainty.

Assad forces gaining ground in Syria
    But analysts say there is little doubt that the pendulum is now swinging in favor of Assad, potentially putting him in a strong position to set terms if the negotiations with the opposition that the Obama administration and Russia last week agreed to sponsor eventually take place.

“If things continue as they are, the government will certainly be the party that has the major advantage” in any talks, said Charles Lister of the London-based IHS Jane’s Terrorism and Insurgency Center. “If we press pause on where we are today, it is clear the insurgency does not pose an existential threat to the regime.”

Then I suggest you need to look a bit harder. U.S. General Wesley Clark (Ret.) has stated publicly on numerous occasions that the US began planning in 2001 to overthrow 7 countries.

http://www.democracynow.org/2007/3/2/gen_wesley_clark_weighs_presidential_bid

Obviously the timeline and sequence has changed, but the plan is still underway.
    Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran

Lebanon is barely together and just about functions as a state. Somalia is and has been a collapsed state for some considerable amount of time. Sudan has been tearing itself apart for many, many years. I fail to see how they'd even "overthrow" Somalia as theres nothing there to throw over. While I can accept that the US et al has liitle good intention towards Syria, and may well be malevolent towards Iran, the rest make no sense.

Lebanon is barely together and just about functions as a state. Somalia is and has been a collapsed state for some considerable amount of time. Sudan has been tearing itself apart for many, many years. I fail to see how they'd even "overthrow" Somalia as theres nothing there to throw over. While I can accept that the US et al has liitle good intention towards Syria, and may well be malevolent towards Iran, the rest make no sense.

Well that is the Neocons for you, their plans rarely, if ever, make any sense.

A video has been released of a rebel commander from a well known FSA unit cutting the heart and liver from a man and then eating it. The video also shows the rebel holding the organs up to his face while threatening members of the Alawite minority.

http://world.time.com/2013/05/12/atrocities-will-be-televised-they-syrian-war-takes-a-turn-for-the-worse/

The Al Farouq brigade is part of the so-called "moderate" opposition which is supported by the US and its lackeys.

A video has been released of a rebel commander from a well known FSA unit cutting the heart and liver from a man and then eating it. The video also shows the rebel holding the organs up to his face while threatening members of the Alawite minority.

http://world.time.com/2013/05/12/atrocities-will-be-televised-they-syrian-war-takes-a-turn-for-the-worse/

The Al Farouq brigade is part of the so-called "moderate" opposition which is supported by the US and its lackeys.
    The "good guys" according to the Irish Times columnists.
    This is a re-run of the Contra saga in Nicaragua of the 80s
    The media backed those headcases in the early stages as well, and those who opposed them were branded Commie extremists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Yiddish

@ Cyberhog: keep up the good work at exposing the brutality of these rebels that the Western mainstream media is so desperate to cover up. The Irish Times portraying young Irish men who ran off to fight and die with the rebels as "heros" was a new low for this country.

A suit-wearing, Western educated-dictator is infinitely preferable to a bunch of Islamic extremists wielding kalashnikovs and yelling Allahu Akbar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That twisted video is now the main headline on the BBC.

Outrage at Syrian rebel shown 'eating soldier's heart'
    A video which appears to show a Syrian rebel taking a bite from the heart of a dead soldier has brought strong condemnation.

US-based Human Rights Watch identified the rebel as Abu Sakkar, a well-known insurgent from the city of Homs, and said his actions were a war crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

We know what's going on alright. Whether or not the rebel promoters want to believe it is another matter.

For instance, we know Syria's rebel leader believes the rebels lack the military skill needed to topple Assad.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/05/07/190602/syrian-rebel-leader-salim-idriss.html#.UYo9fkrvuqR

We also know that Syrian forces have been on a successful offensive for weeks.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/assad-forces-capture-strategic-town-in-southern-syria-1.1385980

And we know that when the US and its lackeys instigated the "Syrian revolution" they assumed Assad would fall quickly, but that clearly hasn't happened.

It is abundantly clear that the rebels are no match for Syrian forces backed by Russia and Iran, and the US knows it too. And that is why the US are bringing back the Geneva plan that they abandoned last June because their attempt to force regime change has failed miserably.

And what is abundantly lacking from your analysis, what do the majority of average Syrian civilians want? Which side has more popular support?
    EDIT: As far as I'm concerned, any government which orders a violent clampdown on legitimate protest and opposition is illegitimate itself and has to go.
    My view on Syria is the same with regard to Assad unless he now enjoys the actual support of a majority of the people. Does he?

And what is abundantly lacking from your analysis, what do the majority of average Syrian civilians want? Which side has more popular support?
    EDIT: As far as I'm concerned, any government which orders a violent clampdown on legitimate protest and opposition is illegitimate itself and has to go.
    My view on Syria is the same with regard to Assad unless he now enjoys the actual support of a majority of the people. Does he?
    Well, we do know that Assad received almost 9 million votes in 2010.
    We know in last years Parliamentary Elections 52% voted.
    Thats despite the internal upheaval, calls for a boycott from the FSA and death threats against voters from Al Qaeda groups.
    And considering the military are banned from voting under the Constitution, to keep them non-political, we can assume the support is much higher.
    Meanwhile, The U.S and E.U recognise a computer technician from Texas, who doesn't even carry a Syrian passport, and who received just 35 votes in a private ballot in Turkey as the "legitimate Prime Minister" of Syria.
    There have been rallies during this conflict in Damascus, with over 1million out in support of the President. These were heavily censored in the media as are any Syrian voices not on-message..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

That twisted video is now the main headline on the BBC.

Outrage at Syrian rebel shown 'eating soldier's heart'

This is more a product of this information age than some startling new sick war behavior.
    I have absolutely no doubt that events such as this could be recorded from any war in human history if the methods of recording them existed at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This is more a product of this information age than some startling new sick war behavior.
    I have absolutely no doubt that events such as this could be recorded from any war in human history if the methods of recording them existed at the time.

So...it's ok then ?

Oddly enough,Col Gadaffi had only to refer to hunting cockroaches from room to room,to spur the UN into a frenzy of supportive action.....which has allowed Libya to blossom into a flower of peaceful democratic co-existence....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/05/2013513133457945.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

AlekSmart wrote: »
    So...it's ok then ?

Oddly enough,Col Gadaffi had only to refer to hunting cockroaches from room to room,to spur the UN into a frenzy of supportive action.....which has allowed Libya to blossom into a flower of peaceful democratic co-existence....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/05/2013513133457945.html

Shrill.

No one said it was ok.

I'm implying that it is a human product of war.

Not sure if you're being ironic about the "blossoming flower of peaceful co-existence".

Hope you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Shrill.

No one said it was ok.

I'm implying that it is a human product of war.

Not sure if you're being ironic about the "blossoming flower of peaceful co-existence".

Hope you are.

It is indeed a "human-product" of war.

As for the irony,I'm not quite sure myself as to how I feel about it as,for sure,the level of Western Concern for the ordinary Libyan's welfare appears to have dropped a few notches since Col Gadaffi's execution.

There is little doubt that whether the "peaceful co-existance" level in post Gadaffi Libya is any better for the ordinary Libyan,is open to debate.

I would contend that the "New" (UN approved) Libya is no vast improvement on the Gadaffi model,except of course,for those who managed to influence the UN/NATO leadership.

As for Syria,it does seem to me that Al Assad retains enough popular support to run the show.

When that popular support drops to unsustainable levels,he's gone.

Whether it's up to the West to tweek and influence it is another issue altogether ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

The middle east is possibly about to go boom like never before Syria is the domino. Maybe eight or nine different countries now with varying interests involved there its beyond control if ever it was. Israel weighed in bombing weapon factories with arms they believed were en route to Lebanon from Iran via Syria. We have peacekeepers in Lebanon I think the UN should be making preperations right now to get them out of there or at least have a contingency plan in place for when it kicks off, its going to be an alll out regional war like nothing seen before if it turns hot.

The Russians have just raised the stakes massively. They are supplying Assad with the S300 .They also gave him P800 Onikas supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles. Russia giving a big fook you to the US and the West. Assad has his missiles pointed at Israeli cities if the Israelis attack again he will respond and it will have started. The truth maybe coming out about Syria but the sh!t could really hit the fan now anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

WakeUp wrote: »
    The middle east is possibly about to go boom like never before Syria is the domino. Maybe eight or nine different countries now with varying interests involved there its beyond control if ever it was. Israel weighed in bombing weapon factories with arms they believed were en route to Lebanon from Iran via Syria. We have peacekeepers in Lebanon I think the UN should be making preperations right now to get them out of there or at least have a contingency plan in place for when it kicks off, its going to be an alll out regional war like nothing seen before if it turns hot.

The Russians have just raised the stakes massively. They are supplying Assad with the S300 .They also gave him P800 Onikas supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles. Russia giving a big fook you to the US and the West. Assad has his missiles pointed at Israeli cities if the Israelis attack again he will respond and it will have started. The truth maybe coming out about Syria but the sh!t could really hit the fan now anyday.

Israel would prefer Assad stayed.

My own view - Assad is the best of the evils there, but he is an evil.

(I wonder if Russia were arming the rebels, would there be a different view on things? I suppose. I note the lack of rants about Russian imperialism from the anti-Imperialists.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Israel would prefer Assad stayed.

Not anymore they dont which is part of why they have been bombing Syria. Assad has kept the peace on the Golan Heights on his side its why he has been tolerated but nobody really controls that area anymore Assad say he is opening it up to Hezbollah to open a front against Israel if need be.

(I wonder if Russia were arming the rebels, would there be a different view on things? I suppose. I note the lack of rants about Russian imperialism from the anti-Imperialists.)
    How do you mean different? Syria is a pawn in a bigger game between the various regional actors and outside influences. How are reports on what is currently happening within and around Syria a rant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Israel is concerned with it's own safety. They are rightly or wrongly bombing anything that looks like a threat.

Politically, an Assad controlled Syria benefits the major powers, some more-so than others. However the Arab Spring has shown the world what a bunch of scumbags most of these leaders are - hence the US and EU push for supporting democratic change rather than the decades old policy of - the devil-you-know is better than the Islamists you don't

Advertisement