Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to increase watts and be a strava KOM Beast

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

mp31 wrote: »
    Cooked or raw?

Ya need to have advanced to be a level 32 mason to find that secret ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

i should say i don't struggle up the climbs i do around dublin and wicklow and i go out of my way every spin to do as much climbing as possible, im almost always comfortably peddling along and the only time i find myself huffing and puffing is during a dreaded head wind!

i tend to feel more comfortable out of the saddle i find, but im starting to find sitting up and spinning a higher gear with a greater cadence is more effective.

definitely on the agenda is to work on interval training and working on intense outputs and fast recovery. one day soon hopefully il steal ryans local KOM's haha

PS had some beetroot pie and beetroot smoothie for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

allez wrote: »
    ... one day soon hopefully il steal ryans local KOM's haha ...

How about this one?

http://app.strava.com/segments/631102

Looks like a good start :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately in my imagination I'm being chased by Beyonce, which seems to have slowed me down a bit ...
    The fear of what my wife would do to me if I let Beyonce catch me means that I go faster in this scenario.
    mp31 wrote: »
    Cooked or raw?
    Either/Or

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

CramCycle wrote: »
    The fear of what my wife would do to me if I let Beyonce catch me means that I go faster in this scenario.

Surely it would be worth it though !!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seems to me she's got a pretty nice "drafting profile" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Beasty wrote: »
    Seems to me she's got a pretty nice "drafting profile" ...

Not for you. Unless of course they produce the "Massey Ferguson Beyoncé" some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Get yourself a big heavy pile of sh!te mountain bike, and optional extra is a bag on your back with a few kilos in it and go training up hills as much as possible.

After a few weeks hop on your racer and go hunting koms, you should see a drastic improvement in your watts/times :D

so had a fun oul spin after work today, bout 55km, actually felt pretty crap and tired. i put strava on to record my distance cause the speedo wasn't charged. luckily my iphone was charged and i managed to compile a Beyonce and Destiny's Child mixtape with some Jay Z thrown in for good measure so needless to say i was pumped. I've also been carbo loading on fresh beetroot, organic of course :D

Devastated to get home to find my highest rating on any segment was fifth and mr sherlock was first with an average speed 3km/h faster than me. i just want to ride le tour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ok so to summarise what i need to do is hire beyonce as my director sportif, sadly were not mates in Facebook, loose ten kg, purchase a beetroot plantation, ask my mate to release his Doberman on me and then start pushing my vo2 max.

Going to do some careful research into vo2 max intervals.

One day I hope to achieve a shiny 2d gold cup saying 1st after a ride.

Anybody else imagining Beyonce sitting on the back of a team car spraying beetroot juice out of a super-soaker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Devastated to get home to find my highest rating on any segment was fifth and mr sherlock was first with an average speed 3km/h faster than me. i just want to ride le tour :(

Which one? :)

Beserkly fox climb :)

Ok so in all seriousness again, started doing interval training on the turbo and using my heart strap to get better.

Just wondering how often and what duration should i be doing interval sessions to make a meaningful difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

I have been commuting to work the last month. Direct it is around 14.5k each way but I have been mixing it up and taking in some shortish sharp climbs just to keep it interesting. I am usually carrying a 2kg backpack sometimes 3kg. I am 180cm and 75kg. I have definitely noticed an improvement in my strength and stand up climbing indurence. I have bagged 9 kom's in the last month varying from short sharp climbs to flat out sprints. Op, just get out cycling and push your limits for a fue minutes every spin. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Quick Update since this was up a while ago and i'd like to thank everyone for the assistance on the way. I'd like to think ive also made some serious improvements.

Basically started interval training and doing those horrible efforts to increase my lactate threshold which has worked quiet well. I can zip up climbs for a lot longer than before without burning up and grinding to a halt although i still have a long way to go. There was points i went too hard, reached the summit felt dizzy and had to stop.

Ive lost a few pounds too which has definitely helped although im still struggling to maintain that ultra healthy diet i so desperately strive for.

At the moment i'd like to get rid of those final few pounds to get to my optimum weight. As well as cycling about 6 hours a week how much and what should i be eating to still keep up performance but shed some of that fat. ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just a wee post re: icreasing your lactate treshold to climb longer without burning up.

The production of lactate is caused by the breakdown of sugar in your muscles at a high rate during high intensity exercise. The production of lactate actually signals the muscles to produce more NAD+ which actually allows high intensity exercise to continue. So Lactate is GOOD.

What gives you that "burning" sensation during high intensity exercise is called acidosis and is a general lowering of the pH inside the muscle. It seems that the burning feeling is caused by a build up of Hydrogen ions (H+). The exact reason for fatigue is unknown!

Advertisement