Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power tripping bouncers

Options
  • 09-05-2013 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

We all know the usual AH rants... blah blah blah...

Lets turn it around for a second :)

mods, I know this is suited to CVPL, but the bouncer topic is always a hot one in AH. Can it stay? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

....Just let me turn you around first and show you where you left your jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

How did they get the condescending tone so bang on?

Excellent stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is an even funnier bouncer vid, an idiot try's to get into a club, gets refused and acts the maggot, Idiot doesn't realise the bouncer is actually Michael Kuhr, world kick boxing champ at the time, who trains idiots brother, when he does his face is priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

"How the hell do you have enough gym, mate?"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So what steroids are you on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Was on a night out with just me and another guy with a group of 5 other girls from college who were hot as hell, couldn't believe my luck. We line up to go in a club and I'm last of the group so everyone's gone in, then I trip slightly on some uneven paving, bouncer sees me and tells me I'm stumbling and clearly drunk so can't go in. I wasn't drunk at all, unfortunately I couldn't contact anyone I was with and was a long way from home, and no other friends were in the area so I went to a pub alone and got drunk. Things then get blurry but I ending up singing karaoke in a gay/lesbian pub, then I don't remember anything but getting into taxi home...

Bastard bouncer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Was on a night out with just me and another guy with a group of 5 other girls from college who were hot as hell, couldn't believe my luck. We line up to go in a club and I'm last of the group so everyone's gone in, then I trip slightly on some uneven paving, bouncer sees me and tells me I'm stumbling and clearly drunk so can't go in. I wasn't drunk at all, unfortunately I couldn't contact anyone I was with and was a long way from home, and no other friends were in the area so I went to a pub alone and got drunk. Things then get blurry but I ending up singing karaoke in a gay/lesbian pub, then I don't remember anything but getting into taxi home...

Bastard bouncer.

The bouncer turned you ghey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think it's acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Don't think it's all acted. The first guy prob is.
    Maybe the film crew got consent from the bouncer's employer to do it.

The chocolate bar is made by a big company, no way would they do filming without consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

The power trip is that like the only trusted method to put them to ground?!

but you know, even when they are unawares it is hard.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    How did they get the condescending tone so bang on?

Excellent stuff!

whilst he is "playing god" no less. certainly no more!

not particularly religious but i worry about people who like to play "god" in such a mocking fashion..... still, that still is still funny

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but has anyone seen the clip posted recently of the bouncers tackling a couple of lads in Dublin?

At first I thought they acted accordingly as the lads in question were giving them a fair bit of abuse. But watching the clip again, I think the bouncers went well overboard in tackling the lads who were abusing them, they really went beyond making their point. Has anyone else seen this and what do they think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Of course they did but the law will be on their side. I know some clubs will fire bouncers if they're creating bad publicity but usually they can get away with quite a bit.

I've often seen a bouncer getting a good smack or taking a bit of a hiding and this is why they are overly aggressive. Bouncers are people too and they haven't a clue what some drunk fella is going to do. If someone is shouting at them when they are obviously pissed then whats to stop that person picking up a bottle and smashing it in your face. If you're big enough to act like a d1ck then you can expect to be put on the ground with force.

Obviously there are some bouncers who are useless and looking for a scrap but most are just lads looking to make a few bob on the side of the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

^^^^^^^^

Thats about it in a nutshell, I knew fella's that would be dissappointed if there was no "action",also learned to avoid them too,a successful night was a night where everyone went home safe,the punters a little tipsy and the staff a little richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I have to say, I can't even remember the last time I had a bad experience with a bouncer. Best way to avoid any confrontations is to just be polite and not off your head and they'll treat you with respect.

I was talking to one bouncer on the door of a nightclub in town late one night after they'd thrown some piss head out. Your man was shouting abuse at the bouncers and threatening to do this, that and the other. I asked the bouncer was he not concerned and he just said if your man was going to do anything, he'd have done it by now.

They deal with a lot of people and they're bound to run in to a fair few assholes. Through their experiences most of them are probably quite good at sussing someone out with little more than a glance but the odd time they might make a mistake. If you explain their mistake to them courteously and calmly, they'll often relent.

For anyone who continually gets treated like some sort of miscreant, I'll leave you with this:
    "The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle." :P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

When I was in Australia I found it very hard to get any hop off the bouncers. Wouldn't let me in a lot of the time, even times when I wasn't even drinking. My eyes make me look drunk even when I'm sober though so I suppose I understand to some degree. Still thought they would realise I was sober when I politely told them my situation.

Nice to be back in Ireland now though where you can stagger in with no hassle whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have to say, I can't even remember the last time I had a bad experience with a bouncer. Best way to avoid any confrontations is to just be polite and not off your head and they'll treat you with respect.
    By polite, it means keep your head down and just show them ID. I've had too many situations where myself or a friend have been refused for being too drunk for smiling and asking how their night was going. I don't even drink :confused:
    They deal with a lot of people and they're bound to run in to a fair few assholes. Through their experiences most of them are probably quite good at sussing someone out with little more than a glance but the odd time they might make a mistake. If you explain their mistake to them courteously and calmly, they'll often relent.
    Really? I've tried quite a few ways to get a bouncer to relent (never violent or aggressive or rude) but it never worked. They just look over you and ignore what you're saying.
    For anyone who continually gets treated like some sort of miscreant, I'll leave you with this:
    "The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle." :P:P:P

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Some bouncers are grand,others are muppets.If they refuse you ,just move on and spend your money elsewhere,No point fighting with them unless your group out numbers them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Most bouncers are grand. The "power-tripping" allegations being applied to all or most of them tend to come from people who are under-age, too pissed, acting the tool... however it's always anyone's fault but their own.

Then there are those who are attired in a way that's not in accordance with the dress code, and while I often think "dress code" is a load of pretentious toss (within reason - fair enough not looking like a hobo in a swanky place), it's not the bouncer's fault that such rules are in place.

The "power-tripping" allegations being applied to all or most of them tend to come from people who are under-age, too pissed, acting the tool... however it's always anyone's fault but their own.
    not true,I havent drank since january and have been out a good few times and have seen some bouncers act like tools(a minority in fairness)." Couples walking up to the door and the bouncers refusing the lads and making 'funny' comments about the girls being with them.

Also ,if you only do it once,get into temple bar about half 2 sober:pac:
    How anybody gets home with out being sexually assualted,ran over or kicked to death is a mystery!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

returnNull wrote: »
    Also ,if you only do it once,get into temple bar about half 2 sober:pac:
    Not for all the tea in China. :pac:

Not for all the tea in China. :pac:
    I hear ye! :)

It really is an eye opener!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was out for the Champions League final between Bayern and Dortmund at the weekend with two other lads and we were looking for somewhere to watch the game and have a few pints. At about 7pm and not one drink taken, we walked to a bar on O Connell Street and were given the ole "regulars only".

I just laughed and said "pal, there's some amount of Germans in there, they must jet in weekly do they?". Dzope!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

90-95% of them are roid heads on a power trip who will never do any better in life because the lack the ability to read and write beyond a high infants level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

sup_dude wrote: »
    Really? I've tried quite a few ways to get a bouncer to relent (never violent or aggressive or rude) but it never worked. They just look over you and ignore what you're saying.

Best way I (actually it was my friend on my behalf) got a bouncer to relent was in town once not so long ago. It was approaching last orders and I went from one club to another to meet some friends. Told the bouncer I was meeting friends, having one more pint and then I'd be on my merry way. It was pissing rain too so I was sure he'd take pity on me. No chance, wasn't getting in.

Then my friend comes along and tries to sweet talk him. Still no. So my friend declares that he'll impress him so much by accurately doing huge maths calculations on the spot (something like Malcolm in the Middle) that he'll let me in. Bouncer says he's not a numbers man so that would mean nothing to him. So they move on to languages and to cut a long story short (bit late for that now, sorry :o) they end up having a conversation in Chinese and the bouncer turns to me and goes "Ah, go on then." :) So it can be done.
    90-95% of them are roid heads on a power trip who will never do any better in life because the lack the ability to read and write beyond a high infants level.

Tell you what, do an experiment for us. Say that to every bouncer you meet and see what response you get. I'd bet that 5% (if even that) react by giving you a beating or just a telling off and the other 95% show just how stupid they are and ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Good one Topper Harley, you've pretty much described a once-off, chance encounter of a bouncer relenting.

I've noticed that since I go out drinking with lads who'd be a bit rougher than your average, that bouncers don't ever stop us as a gang, or as individuals. The worst I got was "remember, if there's trouble, let us deal with it". Compare that to when I go out with my nicer friends, who somehow get stopped for less-than rational reasons. Bouncers acting like chicken ****s, and picking their battles. Not gonna get banged out cold by a skinny uni student are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

After years of going to clubs the way to deal with bouncers is to just wait for a shift change. Extremely rarely does the same bouncer stay on the door for the entire night, they switch around between manning the door and patrolling inside.

Any time I've been refused entry I've used this tactic and genuinely I don't think I've ever found myself waiting more than about 20 minutes to get inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Omackeral wrote: »
    Was out for the Champions League final between Bayern and Dortmund at the weekend with two other lads and we were looking for somewhere to watch the game and have a few pints. At about 7pm and not one drink taken, we walked to a bar on O Connell Street and were given the ole "regulars only".

I just laughed and said "pal, there's some amount of Germans in there, they must jet in weekly do they?". Dzope!

Bit rich considering you seem to believe they were actually being honest when they said regulars only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,302 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I had only one bad experience of bouncers (well rather one bouncer) about 15 years ago when I was headbutted in an unprovoked attack.

Bouncer comes over after seeing me pumping blood puts me in a headlock and throws me out the door, of course there was no CCTV back then in clubs but if it was now I would have both him and the other asshole up on assault charges.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Tell you what, do an experiment for us. Say that to every bouncer you meet and see what response you get. I'd bet that 5% (if even that) react by giving you a beating or just a telling off and the other 95% show just how stupid they are and ignore you.
    Why would I want to do that in the first place? At this hour of my life I have no interest in going to town and having the misfortune of having to deal with these apes who are more often than not high on steroids and other substances which give them an over inflated sense of self importance because they stand outside the door of a pub or club.

Advertisement