Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High school student gives his teacher a lesson in education

Options
  • 09-05-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Oh man, the amount of teachers I would have loved to make this speech to!

I thought he made a lot of sense. Teaching is a tough job, but I always found I did better in classes where the teachers had an obvious interest in what they were teaching. Too many teachers were content to sit back and merely teach by rote and dish out homework, instead of instilling a love of the subject to their pupils.

Fair play to that kid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm sorry, regardless of the content, I can't take anything said in that accent seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This isnt surprising. I went to a school where is the teacher was **** or not plugging their weight you said it to their face. My brother just told me how his friend got into a 5 argument today over how bad his teaching was.

If a teacher isn't pulling their weight I say it to their face. Students go to school to learn not to read material that in a book but to gain something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Outrage without context is the best outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hfallada wrote: »
    This isnt surprising. I went to a school where is the teacher was **** or not plugging their weight you said it to their face. My brother just told me how his friend got into a 5 argument today over how bad his teaching was.
    What's a 5 argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Kids, these days.
    Back in my day you kept your gob shut or risked a hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

hippy needs a hair cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

policarp wrote: »
    Kids, these days.
    Back in my day you kept your gob shut or risked a hammering.

or worse

That hippy needs to cut his hair. Damn hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Lone Stone wrote: »
    hippy needs a hair cut

And i spose this blokes t-shirt is too green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I wouldn't blame teachers on kids having to learn things by rote - that's far more down to the way exams are structured. Teachers are basically told to teach purely for the exam, which is boring for both teachers and students. Placing so much emphasis on assessments is definitely a problem with the education system.

Also, the kid ranting seems like a bellend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

gctest50 wrote: »
    And i spose this blokes t-shirt is too green ?

Gloves are too blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Storm in a teacup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

brummytom wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame teachers on kids having to learn things by rote - that's far more down to the way exams are structured.
    Pretty different system in the US though, where I presume this video was shot.

Even under the learning-by-rote Irish system, I've had great, dynamic teachers and ditchwater teachers. I reckon most of us had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

i hope he doesn't have a gun..........or two:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats fake crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

He's 100% right, wish more kids had the balls to do that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 talors551

what a good lesson!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

With a daughter in 6th year, 2 more in secondary school and another to start next year, I have to say I agree with his rant. The amount of paycheck/pension teachers out there is astounding.

More Dead Poets Society teachers are needed - teachers who love their subject, express their own passion for the subject in their teaching and who try to enthuse the students rather than transfer the blame for their own teaching shortcomings onto to them. It also helps if they like and understand children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Get up and teach 'em, yo

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Down with homework; up with mini-skirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I thought he was going to teach her a lesson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

teachers job is to educate and teach kids the lessons on the curriculum so they pass their exams. It is not to spoon feed "passion" to them. The kid knows what he has to learn - let him sort out his own "passion" for the subject. I know some teachers "do" more than others but the main aim is to teach the kid the lesson on the curriculum. That's just a teenage rant, video'd might I add, with the hair nicely brushed to one side - attention seeking know it all. He should sit down, and zip it and get on with learning his subject. The wooden spoon wouldn't go amiss on him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

hfallada wrote: »

If a teacher isn't pulling their weight I say it to their face. Students go to school to learn not to read material that in a book but to gain something new.

I hope you gave your english teacher hell

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Too many teachers have slipped into teaching for an exam rather than teaching to learn. There is a huge difference in the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

teachers job is to educate and teach kids the lessons on the curriculum so they pass their exams. It is not to spoon feed "passion" to them. The kid knows what he has to learn - let him sort out his own "passion" for the subject. I know some teachers "do" more than others but the main aim is to teach the kid the lesson on the curriculum. That's just a teenage rant, video'd might I add, with the hair nicely brushed to one side - attention seeking know it all. He should sit down, and zip it and get on with learning his subject. The wooden spoon wouldn't go amiss on him. :o

This attitude is the problem. Most teachers don't seem to think enthusiasm and passion are important. They are crucial. A massive part of teaching is motivating and encouraging the students. Most kids can sit down and read a textbook at home - why go to school just to read through packs and copy down notes from the whiteboard? That's not teaching.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    This attitude is the problem. Most teachers don't seem to think enthusiasm and passion are important. They are crucial. A massive part of teaching is motivating and encouraging the students. Most kids can sit down and read a textbook at home - why go to school just to read through packs and copy down notes from the whiteboard? That's not teaching.

who said anything about reading a textbook - unless of course you have to read an english book. Teachers teach math (not reading - showing), they teach physics (again showing) biology, art, in fact most subjects are not just "reading". Hundreds of thousands of kids have been taught the same way by the same style teachers and go on to be extremely successful. The whinging usually comes from someone who is usually too dis-interested themselves as a person so "blames the bad teacher" as they are not stimulating them enough - even tho the majority of the rest of the class has no problem. Its up to the STUDENT to be interested - its usually the ranters that are not. Still, this kid will live and learn - maybe if he explains the situation to his parents, the parents will home-school him and give loads of "passion" to the subject (somehow I doubt it - easier to blame the teachers).

As I said this video looks like a "showpiece". I would have put him in the naughty corner myself. He needs a time out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

I learned more when I left school to be honest. So clearly somethings not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

who said anything about reading a textbook - unless of course you have to read an english book. Teachers teach math (not reading - showing), they teach physics (again showing) biology, art, in fact most subjects are not just "reading". Hundreds of thousands of kids have been taught the same way by the same style teachers and go on to be extremely successful. The whinging usually comes from someone who is usually too dis-interested themselves as a person so "blames the bad teacher" as they are not stimulating them enough - even tho the majority of the rest of the class has no problem. Its up to the STUDENT to be interested - its usually the ranters that are not. Still, this kid will live and learn - maybe if he explains the situation to his parents, the parents will home-school him and give loads of "passion" to the subject (somehow I doubt it - easier to blame the teachers).

As I said this video looks like a "showpiece". I would have put him in the naughty corner myself. He needs a time out. :D

Most of my secondary teachers just ploughed through the book, writing stuff up on the board and/or reading it out with little attempt to make it interesting or inject any personality or establish whether or not we'd understood. Many of them stayed sitting at their desk for the whole hour. That's not teaching. Good teaching is interactive, not someone droning on at the front of the class for an hour while the students copy everything down. Their 'I couldn't give a fck and am just here for the money' attitude is contagious. If the teacher doesn't give a fck, why would the students give a fck?

The best teachers I've had were the ones who displayed a passion for the subject. I had one amazing German teacher who didn't 'teach' much at all and made us do most of it at home, but he spent the class telling stories about Germany, teaching us funny words etc and at the end of the class, you'd actually look forward to going to the library and learning whatever he'd given you because the motivation was there.

A good teacher motivates. It's part of the job. I teach adults and teenagers who come to class exhausted and yawning after a day's work/school and I have to get them interested in learning new grammar. It would be easy to say, 'oh sod it, they're too tired to learn and most of them don't seem to care anyway', but that would be a failure on my part. I make it as interactive as possible so they don't have an opportunity to daydream or switch off. Creating a good learning environment is crucial. Blaming the learners is a cop-out, most of the time.

joe stodge wrote: »
    Too many teachers have slipped into teaching for an exam rather than teaching to learn. There is a huge difference in the two.

ya and if the kids don't pass their exams - what do we hear - That teacher never focused on the exams for my precious tarquin - the teacher was a bad teacher as he/she tried to teach life lessons instead of teaching my precious things he need to pass his exams.

What will I do now - tarquin can't be a doctor no more as they teacher was much to "passionate" about life and never focused on the exams. :roll eyes:

the fact of the matter is - teachers teach kids what they need to learn to pass their EXAMS so they can go off and learn about life themselves.

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Most of my secondary teachers just ploughed through the book, writing stuff up on the board and/or reading it out with little attempt to make it interesting or inject any personality or establish whether or not we'd understood. Many of them stayed sitting at their desk for the whole hour. That's not teaching. Good teaching is interactive, not someone droning on at the front of the class for an hour while the students copy everything down. Their 'I couldn't give a fck and am just here for the money' attitude is contagious. If the teacher doesn't give a fck, why would the students give a fck?

The best teachers I've had were the ones who displayed a passion for the subject. I had one amazing German teacher who didn't 'teach' much at all and made us do most of it at home, but he spent the class telling stories about Germany, teaching us funny words etc and at the end of the class, you'd actually look forward to going to the library and learning whatever he'd given you because the motivation was there.

A good teacher motivates. It's part of the job. I teach adults and teenagers who come to class exhausted and yawning after a day's work/school and I have to get them interested in learning new grammar. It would be easy to say, 'oh sod it, they're too tired to learn and most of them don't seem to care anyway', but that would be a failure on my part. I make it as interactive as possible so they don't have an opportunity to daydream or switch off. Creating a good learning environment is crucial. Blaming the learners is a cop-out, most of the time.

right, you obviously thought he was brilliant - other students probably blamed him for failing because of the bits I have in bold above.

as I say - its up to the student to be interested - remember the teacher does this year in, year out. They teach what they have to for the student to pass exams - its up to the student to be interested in his own future, not the teacher to make him interested. Its the typically "spoon feed me" attitude that is forming over the last few years here - everything is everybody else's fault. The best lesson that students can learn that is not in a book is to "take responsibility for yourself".

Advertisement