Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRB approve new scrum trial, “crouch, bind, set"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I think this and making sure the ball is feed straight should help... although time will tell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It'll be like Rugby league. Also having two-three more mobile players on the pitch will make it harder for attacking teams which won't be good from an entertainment perspective.

It wouldn't be like rugby league, where scrumhalves roll it straight to the no8 and all everyone else does in the scrum is check their laces.

The pack can still contest and push for position after binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

a certain Irish prop isn't a fan:

Cian Healy ‏@ProperChurch 17m
    goodbye props, hello 2 new flankers....

Little overreaction IMO. The props weight and scrummaging skill is still massively needed by the looks of the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

I think they need to look at scrumhalves rolling the ball to the 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I do think the crooked feed needs to be looked at, but if they're starting with trying to cut down on the huge amount of time wasted at scrum time at the moment, that's well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

awec wrote: »
    While the impact in the scrum is fun to watch, it gets pretty boring after the 3rd or 4th reset. Something needs to change.

I havent been seeing too many repetitive resets recently though. Have I just missed them all?

19543261 wrote: »
    I havent been seeing too many repetitive resets recently though. Have I just missed them all?

I think that's because refs have been told to blow them up with a free kick straight away, that's how it seems to me anyway. Either way, there hasn't been too many successful scrums anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Swiwi wrote: »

I hadn't been following this at all. Interesting interview, and to me, who only watches rugby, it sounds like a good idea. But as already pointed out, scrum halves shoving the ball into the second row will have to be pinged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

hhhmmm seem to be relying on the honesty of props there ,,, might not be a great idea,

looks like its gona be about strenght and arm power rather than body position ans explosive power from the legs, not sure its a good thing but wait and see i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

No collapsed scrums back then. Pretty much going back to the old ways in the scrum.

Glad they allowed lifting in the Lineouts though!

sequences on 7:20 is surreal, ball nowhere near scrum set - no problem

after playing first game under the new rules , I retract that last statement its apparently all about body position and getting lower,

refs in for a touch year !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Didn't see the games did the new laws improve the scrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Complete mess. Scrums stay up but whatever team is putting in are at a serious disadvantage.

it was only a pre session friendly hat I was involved in but no .

the refs didn't know any more about what was going on than us ,

it takes the impact out of the scrum so its better for the smaller props ditto getting lower.

but the bigger stronger men have the advantage in the arm wrestle , your ear to ear before the contact happens

its developing thing I think but I don't think its done developing just yet ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

One of the nicer thing about the new scrum rules is that the referees are enforcing the straight feed rule, hell the Blue Bulls scrum half got ten minutes on the sidelines for consistent feeding to the second row yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Aus-NZ game had a penalty at half the scrums for crooked put in but they were outrageous put ins so hopefully the scrum-halves and hookers can cop on and learn to do it properly. SA-Argentina however didn't have many penalties or stoppages, however a scrum was won against the head, which we may see more with the new laws.

Is that the idea then to make it a more even contest ?

sort of knocks a lot of the front row testosterone out of it,
    nothing better than walking the opposition scrum back ten yards and causing mass panic

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is that the idea then to make it a more even contest ?

sort of knocks a lot of the front row testosterone out of it,
    nothing better than walking the opposition scrum back ten yards and causing mass panic

not an more 'even' contest... but a fairer contest.
    Stronger and better technique can still end up marching a weaker scrum back 10 meters :)

rugby is always based on a fair contest of players for the ball.

fair ? I always thought it was about commitment aggression power and reckless abandon for ones physical well being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

it was only a pre session friendly hat I was involved in but no .

the refs didn't know any more about what was going on than us ,

ARLB referees were formally briefed of the amended scrum drill today so chances are that the referee and coach/es didn't know what was expected of them.

The IRB has information and descriptive audio and videos relating to the amended laws on their laws website.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=16

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Was interesting at the ARLB meeting yesterday about what we need to look out for in games. I do like the idea that if you mess up in the first min you, and your team mates better know not to make another mistake for the next 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Cockerill is having a go at the new scrum laws already. It's all a big conspiracy by the Southern Hemisphere to depower the scrums even though he doesn't know whether that's even happening. Plus AP coaches should have been consulted. No other coaches mind you, just the AP ones.

Oh and heaven forbid scrum halves feed the ball straight!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leicester-boss-richard-cockerill-slams-new-scrum-laws-29537435.html

Ah sure Cockerill's main job is to have a good whinge.

Funny thing is he thinks it's advantageous to the SH scrums, but that's yet to be seen. I have to say over the past few weeks I've seen several scrums marched off the ball, Argeninta and South Africa for example, so it's still very much a contest.

I have to say I like the new scrum so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »

Funny thing is he thinks it's advantageous to the SH scrums, but that's yet to be seen. I have to say over the past few weeks I've seen several scrums marched off the ball, Argeninta and South Africa for example, so it's still very much a contest.

I've been unfortunate enough to have missed the RC games so far so haven't seen much of it tbh. Although I did find the Toulon-Racing game amusing for the 2 reversals for crooked feeds. I'm sure we'll need to give it a few months to bed down anyway. By that time the forwards will have found other ways to get around the laws as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »

There's still no place to hide for a poor scrum. NZ destroyed Australia in the 2nd half last week, making a mockery of the theory that Aussie would come good with the new laws. The difference is that initially the hit is barely a hit. It's the second shove that becomes more important. But you still need good technique. I reckon pushover tries might re-appear.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Cockerill is having a go at the new scrum laws already. It's all a big conspiracy by the Southern Hemisphere to depower the scrums even though he doesn't know whether that's even happening. Plus AP coaches should have been consulted. No other coaches mind you, just the AP ones.

Oh and heaven forbid scrum halves feed the ball straight!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leicester-boss-richard-cockerill-slams-new-scrum-laws-29537435.html

Yes SH conspiracy using a prestigious English university to carry out the scientific analaysis. The only people scared of scrumming are Australia. NZ, SA & Arg have never had major scrumming problems, and there is no need for a conspiracy.

From Liam Toland in the IT:

New scrum laws have taken down the high-impact tighthead monsters. I love them!
    So will Australia and New Zealand now try to influence the IRB to depower the scrum technicians?

Speak for yourself, Liam. No need for NZ to try to depower the scrums. Liam, for reasons I don't know, is definitely one of those chip on the shoulder about NZ rugby-type journalists, mark my words when the lads visit in November he'll be wheeling out the jibes.

Owen Franks is world class, the other NZ props are all international class. Australia on the other hand...

But honestly, what does he mean? (At IRB meeting) Hi, I'm so-and-so from Australian rugby and I move a motion to depower the scrum. Hand flies up. I'm so-and-so from NZ rugby, and I'll second that.

I've witnessed a few scrum debacles over the years, and obviously a lot involve Australia, but Ire v Eng was painful viewing, regardless of whether Court is a LH.

I have no doubt NZ's props will look forward to matching up to Healy & Ross, Healy went very well the last time the 2 sides met. But NZ's props are technically proficient. And I have no idea where Toland gets the idea NZ would want to depower the scrum. Unless he has an agenda...

Advertisement