Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Projects are you working on or planning?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

zafo wrote: »
    My latest custom build. Three fuzzes in one.
    8764785558_5ecf1f019a_z.jpg

:eek:
    Your wiring is a work of art!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

roast wrote: »
    :eek:
    Your wiring is a work of art!

agreed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

What changes did you make to the EP Booster?
    My mistake !
    Its actually a Madbean Fatpants
    which is a take of the Echoplex preamp
    with an added gain switch

3 fuzzes in 1 eh !
    What fuzzes are you using ?

Was palnning on doing something similar as I have a DAM Meathead & Analogman Sunface Im tweaking at the minute
    But was thinking of putting a Les Lius in with them
    which sounds kind of mildly fuzzy to my ear

Has anyone seen the Chinese copies of all the major brands? I have heard they are sh** as far as the electronics go but that the bodies and neck can be decent! Would it be wrong to buy one of these guitars if you were going to strip it down paint and all and rebuild it as a project? To be honest my morals are confused. all i want are the body/neck and ill make a perfect child :(

Also down the road i want to paint a few bits and pieces, could anyone tell me what goes into the clear coat/methods?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    More quality stuff from wild turkey!

I really need to learn how to solder etc.

i learned recently! it makes you want to find every old guitar and put new pick ups in them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

SamBrugha wrote: »
    I have heard they are sh** as far as the electronics go but that the bodies and neck can be decent! Would it be wrong to buy one of these guitars if you were going to strip it down paint and all and rebuild it as a project? To be honest my morals are confused. all i want are the body/neck and ill make a perfect child :(

I wouldn't feel worried about the morality of buying a copy of an established brand - it's not like you'd be attacking indigenous Irish industry. I'd be more worried about getting a seriously sub-par instrument.

There's no telling what they're made of or, indeed, how they treat their workers.

If you want a Gibson, save up or just buy an Epiphone. No one is going to judge you for it. Buying a plywood Fibson and spending hundreds of euros fixing it up would probably receive more scorn than buying an Epi or a Vintage.

There are so many reliable options for cheap Gibson-like guitars that it would be madness to buy a fake.

Should you want a Chinese Fender then you can get a 'real' one - the Modern Player Series. Fender has already cannibalised its product range for you.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel worried about the morality of buying a copy of an established brand - it's not like you'd be attacking indigenous Irish industry. I'd be more worried about getting a seriously sub-par instrument.

There's no telling what they're made of or, indeed, how they treat their workers.

If you want a Gibson, save up or just buy an Epiphone. No one is going to judge you for it. Buying a plywood Fibson and spending hundreds of euros fixing it up would probably receive more scorn than buying an Epi or a Vintage.

There are so many reliable options for cheap Gibson-like guitars that it would be madness to buy a fake.

Should you want a Chinese Fender then you can get a 'real' one - the Modern Player Series. Fender has already cannibalised its product range for you.

True, I wanted a Musicmaster bass though. I was originally looking for all the separate bits, I'm just trying to cost every which way before i make my mind up. I was going to get a bronco just for the body but that 199€ and then its next to impossible to get a 30" neck and if you can for a squire they can be 150€. for that so that's up to 350€, and for that i could buy a new Mikey Way mustang! which I already have :/ and i Don't want to attack one of those because its pretty and the insides are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

My mistake !
    Its actually a Madbean Fatpants
    which is a take of the Echoplex preamp
    with an added gain switch

3 fuzzes in 1 eh !
    What fuzzes are you using ?

Was palnning on doing something similar as I have a DAM Meathead & Analogman Sunface Im tweaking at the minute
    But was thinking of putting a Les Lius in with them
    which sounds kind of mildly fuzzy to my ear

That one has a stripped down Ram's Head Muff first then my Antler fuzz which is a take on the One Knob Fuzz followed by a modded Ampeg Scrambler. Must build one of those Fat Pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Has anyone seen the Chinese copies of all the major brands? I have heard they are sh** as far as the electronics go but that the bodies and neck can be decent! Would it be wrong to buy one of these guitars if you were going to strip it down paint and all and rebuild it as a project? To be honest my morals are confused. all i want are the body/neck and ill make a perfect child :(

Also down the road i want to paint a few bits and pieces, could anyone tell me what goes into the clear coat/methods?

I have a few friends who were stung with fake guitars (How they never copped before ordering, I don't know) and the majority of them turned out to be fairly dodgy.

One in particular was a fake Epiphone Zakk Wylde sig. The bullseye laminate peeled back in parts within a few weeks, revealing the plywood body underneath. The paint was so poorly applied that the ply leaves were visible on the side. Electronics were muck, (the two "tone" knobs were actually fake, there was just 1 vol, 1 tone) soldered poorly, and noisy as hell.
    Fretwork was dodgy - three frets lifting towards the top of the fretboard. The fretboard wood definitely wasn't cured properly and was very brittle, so when we tried to tap in the frets, the wood started to crumble.
    The neck was warped, and the truss rod was roaming free.

You get the idea... don't get me started on the Jem copy with the "inlays" which were actually acrylic stickers... :P

Honestly, I reckon if you're looking for a nice project to work on, Cash Convenience/similar shops are your best bet. I was in one in Cork over the weekend, there was a few nice old squier P-basses and a couple of random copies in there, all dirt cheap. Lots of guitars in there too, though I was only interested in the selection of basses so I didn't pay much heed.

If only I hadn't spent all my money on beers the night before. ;)

roast wrote: »
    I have a few friends who were stung with fake guitars (How they never copped before ordering, I don't know) and the majority of them turned out to be fairly dodgy.

One in particular was a fake Epiphone Zakk Wylde sig. The bullseye laminate peeled back in parts within a few weeks, revealing the plywood body underneath. The paint was so poorly applied that the ply leaves were visible on the side. Electronics were muck, (the two "tone" knobs were actually fake, there was just 1 vol, 1 tone) soldered poorly, and noisy as hell.
    Fretwork was dodgy - three frets lifting towards the top of the fretboard. The fretboard wood definitely wasn't cured properly and was very brittle, so when we tried to tap in the frets, the wood started to crumble.
    The neck was warped, and the truss rod was roaming free.

You get the idea... don't get me started on the Jem copy with the "inlays" which were actually acrylic stickers... :P

Honestly, I reckon if you're looking for a nice project to work on, Cash Convenience/similar shops are your best bet. I was in one in Cork over the weekend, there was a few nice old squier P-basses and a couple of random copies in there, all dirt cheap. Lots of guitars in there too, though I was only interested in the selection of basses so I didn't pay much heed.

If only I hadn't spent all my money on beers the night before. ;)

That's good to know, i've heard the electronics are dirt/muck/crap, i want to get rid of the insides anyway if i get one! yet I'm hearing mixed reviews about the necks/bodies on some of them. I'm going to do some more research and keeps yas updated with what i do.

Cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

That's good to know, i've heard the electronics are dirt/muck/crap, i want to get rid of the insides anyway if i get one! yet I'm hearing mixed reviews about the necks/bodies on some of them. I'm going to do some more research and keeps yas updated with what i do.

Cheers lads

I've never heard of any of these with quality builds or materials.
    Stay away from them, you get what you pay for!

KeithTS wrote: »
    I've never heard of any of these with quality builds or materials.
    Stay away from them, you get what you pay for!

Well i'm going to research the crap out of every option!

On a side note! everyone check this out

The best Chinese Fender copies

http://www.fender.com/squier/series/classic-vibe/

That one has a stripped down Ram's Head Muff first then my Antler fuzz which is a take on the One Knob Fuzz followed by a modded Ampeg Scrambler. Must build one of those Fat Pants.

Very nice work !
    Switchable caps on the one knob fuzz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've an old ibanez pf200 that I picked up for 50 yoyos about three years ago that's spent a long time on the to do list. All original, except for a missing scratchplate, including the case. Some minor 'experience' marks to the body, and corroded metal fittings which i'll most likely leave alone. extensive wear to the fingerboard, but the frets are in good nick. dont know how he managed that... Previous owner had made sh1te of it. Roland pickup installed behind the bridge humbucker. Pickup surround hacked to make it fit. Horrible rewiring job, with cold joints and blobs of solder everywhere. Have made a start this week with a new surround fitted, and 3 ply scratchplate made. I'll be doing this one in fits and starts, but will keep the thread updated if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Very nice work !
    Switchable caps on the one knob fuzz ?

For starters yeah switchable input cap, few other tweaks too.

endacl wrote: »
    I've an old ibanez pf200 that I picked up for 50 yoyos about three years ago that's spent a long time on the to do list. All original, except for a missing scratchplate, including the case. Some minor 'experience' marks to the body, and corroded metal fittings which i'll most likely leave alone. extensive wear to the fingerboard, but the frets are in good nick. dont know how he managed that... Previous owner had made sh1te of it. Roland pickup installed behind the bridge humbucker. Pickup surround hacked to make it fit. Horrible rewiring job, with cold joints and blobs of solder everywhere. Have made a start this week with a new surround fitted, and 3 ply scratchplate made. I'll be doing this one in fits and starts, but will keep the thread updated if anybody is interested.

I wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your progress man! I like those guitars!

I wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your progress man! I like those guitars!
    No problem. I'll probably get stuck in sometime next week. Although I have been saying that for some time now...!

Maybe having somebody to monitor progress will light a bit of a fire under me. It's this model/spec we're dealing with.

$%28KGrHqN,!o0FEJ%29t812cBRF68yJdVw~~60_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

That's a pretty looking guitar. Reading your previous post I expected a monster. Nice.

il gatto wrote: »
    That's a pretty looking guitar. Reading your previous post I expected a monster. Nice.
    Oh, that's not my one... Just the same model.

Mine, not so pretty. Not a monster, but not as pretty. Pics to follow.

• Advertisement

Oh, that's not my one... Just the same model.

Mine, not so pretty. Not a monster, but not as pretty. Pics to follow.

They are well regarded guitars. €50 is a bargain. You could spend a couple of hundred and it if you don't keep it, you could get more than what it cost you.

They are well regarded guitars. €50 is a bargain. You could spend a couple of hundred and it if you don't keep it, you could get more than what it cost you.
    Won't be spending anything but time. Any replacement bits will be stuff I have lying around. It's a nice player even unplugged. Very 'singy' resonance when its strummed. Looking forward to hearing it un-unplugged.

Don't know if I could sell it. Can't bring myself to sell any of the many others I have stored about the place here. :rolleyes: Some are sinful.

Regarding the finger board/frets, I've seen that before. It could be several things. Has it had new frets at some stage? If not it could be that the original fret wire was very hard and resisted grooving. Also very light guage strings tend to do less damage to the frets but let you finger come into direct contact with the fingerboard more easily resulting in more wear tot the wood. And a sweaty player who doesn't wipe it down is harder on the wood as well.

Won't be spending anything but time. Any replacement bits will be stuff I have lying around. It's a nice player even unplugged. Very 'singy' resonance when its strummed. Looking forward to hearing it un-unplugged.

Don't know if I could sell it. Can't bring myself to sell any of the many others I have stored about the place here. :rolleyes: Some are sinful.

True that. I traded my first guitar which was a pig (Karina Strat, two single coils with no selector. Action you could drive a bus under). Still regret it. Never understood people continually flipping stuff. Every guitar, amp, pedal etc. has it's own character. Always nice to have them around.

Regarding the finger board/frets, I've seen that before. It could be several things. Has it had new frets at some stage? If not it could be that the original fret wire was very hard and resisted grooving. Also very light guage strings tend to do less damage to the frets but let you finger come into direct contact with the fingerboard more easily resulting in more wear tot the wood. And a sweaty player who doesn't wipe it down is harder on the wood as well.
    Not too fussed over that one, but you could be right. You can almost guess the limited number of 'shapes' he was holding down. And he is a sweaty fecker. The dents don't affect playability at all. I'll probably fill them all the same. If I don't, I'll look at them every day thinking 'I must sort that at some point'.

Plus, its been ages since I did that job. Must practice...

True that. I traded my first guitar which was a pig (Karina Strat, two single coils with no selector. Action you could drive a bus under). Still regret it. Never understood people continually flipping stuff. Every guitar, amp, pedal etc. has it's own character. Always nice to have them around.
    I did the same. A pig of an LP copy by Hondo. Don't miss it, but would love to have it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

I'm new to instrument restoration, and instruments themselves.
    Got a 1/2 Violin today, going to restore it (parts ordered already :D)
    Also thought it would be interesting for others for me to video progress!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAk6ibhGwk
    Thanks

ow9654 wrote: »
    I'm new to instrument restoration, and instruments themselves.
    Got a 1/2 Violin today, going to restore it (parts ordered already :D)
    Also thought it would be interesting for others for me to video progress!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAk6ibhGwk
    Thanks

Half a violin? In at the deep end, eh'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Half a violin? In at the deep end, eh'!

Nonono, Not half a violin! you can clearly see from the video lol
    http://store.musicbasics.com/howtodetrigs.html
    Size is half, when you see someone selling a 4/4 Violin, dont think 4/4 means, oh he has 1 violin only decided to put it in a complicated way! :)

• Advertisement

ow9654 wrote: »
    Nonono, Not half a violin! you can clearly see from the video lol
    http://store.musicbasics.com/howtodetrigs.html
    Size is half, when you see someone selling a 4/4 Violin, dont think 4/4 means, oh he has 1 violin only decided to put it in a complicated way! :)
    Will follow your progress. Do you know half a fiddler?

:-)

Advertisement