Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are coming to Australia, Read this!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »
    http://www.irishecho.com.au/2013/05/09/weve-moved-to-1962-with-a-broadband-connection/25390

Well would you look at that??? Two offers in 28 days. Hard? Yes. Near impossible? No.
    It's not even about 28 days.
    He is saying your are stuck with the sponsor for 4 years as you won't find another sponsor if you are unhappy. Which is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coolin325

Im on a 457 now. Been offered a 417.
    I just wish it was easier to change jobs if things aren't working out in the sponsorship.

I understand its not impossible. Its tough enough to get a job over a local because its less hassle to hire them over us but if your going into an interview looking for sponsorship within 28 days your defiantly at a disadvantage.

Listen I clearly don't know it all and am not saying I do im just telling people who are considering the 457 to think about it.
    I have met countless numbers of people who just cant get the work they need over locals and have to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

danotroy wrote: »
    this is what im wondering? at what stage are you at torres? have you just registered an interest? of have you been invited to apply?

can anyone not just register and tell employers they are getting a skills visa? when in fact they may be years off getting one.

Just registered the expression of interest the other day after having gone through the IELTS exam and skills assessment which takes a while. Looking at the stats from immigration, most people with 60 points or more is getting an invite at this stage unless the quota for your occupation is reached. I've got 65 so hope to get an invite at the end of May round.

I came on the WHV purely to see if I liked the country and could adapt. Didn't want to spend $6k on a visa for a country I'd never even been to! Turns out I love it here so am now willing to invest. I'm sure many are in the same boat. I've done my travelling and I was ready to settle down here. I know this isn't what the visa is designed for but as long as it stays the same, people will use it to suit their individual needs.

I knew the risks coming over on the WHV and it's not easy but as long as you're aware of that coming over I wouldn't put anyone off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Coolin325 wrote: »
    Im on a 457 now. Been offered a 417.

Think you're getting mixed up there
    nobody arrives here on a WHV slots into a $40 an hour job and makes the big bucks you will be told they do but they dont. If anyone actully has done it well done but frankly i don't believe you until i see a pay slip. I've heard it all but its always my friend earned it kind of story.

Took me 3 weeks. I'll send you my payslip and not my friend's. I am a qualified accountant though. Mandrake will brag that $40 isn't big bucks anyway. I'm now sponsored but I did get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Took me 3 weeks. I'll send you my payslip and not my friend's. I am a qualified accountant though. Mandrake will brag that $40 isn't big bucks anyway. I'm now sponsored but I did get lucky.

Just wondering hustler where in Oz are you based? I am heading out to Sydney in June and am also a newly qualified accountant. How did you find the search for work? Did you use agencies etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

$40 hr is fairly mediocre, base it on an average 38 hr week.

$40x38x52=$79040

Considering that the national average is $72K* its slightly better than average but no cigar.

Anyway thanks for the laugh.

Just wondering hustler where in Oz are you based? I am heading out to Sydney in June and am also a newly qualified accountant. How did you find the search for work? Did you use agencies etc?

I'm based in Melbourne. I get the impression the job market in Sydney is better, it's all doom and gloom in victoria, you would think we're back home the way the recruiters talk.

I went to about 8 or 9 different recruiters. I really recommend this. Most jobs here are through them, it's the done thing here. They starting telling you to only go to 3 max. Don't listen, but avoid 2 of them putting you forward for the same role. It took 3-4 weeks for myself or my friends to get a job, the recruiters probably prioritise you at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I know plenty in Syndey who got jobs easily that went over in Februrary/ March. I was over visiting friends myself in August and I was offered a job in an office without even applying, just generally asking about how things were over there!

I'd been in Sydney in '06 and got a job doing feck all for very good money, and little has changed. Look in the right places and you'll be alright. Best to have someone with a bit of inside knowledge but if you're willing to work, you'll get a job. That's why all the traffic and road maintenance people in Sydney are Irish. Get on a train in the morning in Bondi and count the High Viz jackets and hangovers getting on!

That being said, just back from New Zealand after 8 months there and experienced the same situation in terms of visa discrimination. Was told I didn't have enough experience in a job I'd been doing for 6 years over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »
    $40 hr is fairly mediocre, base it on an average 38 hr week.

$40x38x52=$79040

Considering that the national average is $72K* its slightly better than average but no cigar.

Anyway thanks for the laugh.

Who works 38hr week 52 weeks a year? factor in 4weeks holidays
    and it's around 73k

Nothing wrong with $40ph, just a pit there are so many accounts here, when I first landed $55-65 was a going rate for a fully qualified accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

hussey wrote: »
    and it's around 73k

Nothing wrong with $40ph, just a pit there are so many accounts here, when I first landed $55-65 was a going rate for a fully qualified accountant

I know that you mean, when I got here first I had friends who had arrived in 2010 and were newly qualified accountants contracting on 60ph (and that was with LAFHA).

How times have changed, I arrived in Nov11 with 18 months post qualified and the going rate was 35-40ph. Not sure what it is at the moment but assume it is still around the same (and no LAFHA of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

and it's around 73k

You get paid for the holidays so you get paid for 52 weeks surely.

If your not getting paid AL your being screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sundy wrote: »
    You get paid for the holidays so you get paid for 52 weeks surely.

If your not getting paid AL your being screwed.

Sorry I assumed he was a contract accountant.
    If he was full time then he'd be on salary rather than ph
    (pure guess by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry I assumed he was a contract accountant.
    If he was full time then he'd be on salary rather than ph
    (pure guess by the way)
    Sponsored. So would be on a salary

and it's around 73k

That's true Hussey I included paid holidays but its not as if you are working 52 weeks of the year just paid it.

I agree there's nothing wrong with $40 hr but its not big bucks like Hustler mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That's true Hussey I included paid holidays but its not as if you are working 52 weeks of the year just paid it.

I agree there's nothing wrong with $40 hr but its not big bucks like Hustler mentioned.

Lets not forget that he is a chartered accountant probably with experience in his field. How many WHV types can say that? If you have professional experience & qualifications in Finance or IT then getting a $40 a hour is fairly simple. Most people are not skilled in these areas so want to get $40 an hour flipping burgers out in d'mines. Those jobs in reality dont exist except maube in 0.001% of cases.

jank wrote: »
    Lets not forget that he is a chartered accountant probably with experience in his field. How many WHV types can say that? If you have professional experience & qualifications in Finance or IT then getting a $40 a hour is fairly simple. Most people are not skilled in these areas so want to get $40 an hour flipping burgers out in d'mines. Those jobs in reality dont exist except maube in 0.001% of cases.

Understandable.

But $40 ph is not big bucks its only $127 a week better than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

$40 a hour is ok I guess, I'm on $17 a hour cleaning toilets in a mental asylum;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

I've been in Melbourne since Feb on a WHV with the plan being to get sponsored and stay on. I've got a good CV with 4 years experience in a good finance job back home. As people have said, the WHV is very little use for "professional" jobs. I had numerous companies call me saying they were very interested but as soon as I revealed I was on the WHV they didn't want to know! So eventually decided to apply for the skilled independent visa which I luckily qualify for.

Being able to say I've applied for that visa definitely helped and straight away I got a temp job which was grand and then got a fixed term contract in my area of expertise with possible permanency when/if visa comes through so it's all worked out thankfully. The default opinion of most employers (and fair enough) is that you will be out of here in a year if you're on the WHV or you're going to be out getting pissed every night and it's very hard to convince them otherwise!

So basically in my experience of the finance jobs market is that there aren't that many jobs at the moment to begin with. Most will be full time perm so you can't get them on the WHV. A lot will go to internal candidates. A lot will go through recruiters, many of whom discount WHV holders immediately. A lot will require "Australian experience" (regardless of the fact that you may have done the exact same thing at home!). So you're left with very little to work with and even then you've got to convince an employer to take you on. If you can get a skilled visa, do it, definitely worth the investment.

Hi, how did you go about getting the skilled visa or what ere the qualifications for it?

I have 4 years experience in finance at home in Dublin too and while I am in a decentfinance job at the moment I am interested in looking at better jobs with better money if I could get the skilled visa.

I have had exactly the same experience as you in that any job I apply for I havre received calls but when they hear im on the 417 WHV thye generally dont want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Are you working in practice our industry?

I didn't say $40 was big bucks, danotroy did. I wish the going rate was higher. I did have a dig at mandrake by saying brag, he makes me feel like I'm not earning enough!

Unfortunately I am actually a contractor still as I'm sponsored by my recruiter.

Rob I'm working in industry. Came from Big 4 back home.

Despite the point of my post to danotroy being that it's not impossible to earn $40 an hour when you arrive, it actually is in line with his post because qualified chartered accountants only earn average wages as the lads above have pointed out and I've had to fight with my recruiter to earn that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Good post danotroy, hope it works out for you

But I have to disagree what you said about St kilda. I think it's an awesome spot - if you look beyond the elephant and wheel Barrow there are some brilliant bars around and the town is loaded with top restaurants. Also, the the beach is great to chill out on a day off. Granted its not one of the best in Australia but it's still does the job.

Im not going to get into a slagging match with you over St.kilda. Granted there are a few good spots to go to radio mexico and the local being my favorites but all in all the north side of the city has heaps more on offer! I really like St.Kilda it has some beautiful buildings! But it is overrun by crack addicts hookers homeless and backpackers treating it like santa ponsa! The problem i find with St.kilda is that it is alienated from the rest of the city its half an hour on the tram from the CBD and its not that easy to get from Acland st to Chapel street (which is pretty poor nightlife wise to be the best street on the southside) and the neighboring suburbs are pretty dead elsternwick, middle park, elwood! if you live in somewhere around the north side you are 10 minutes from the city on a tram and you have the choice of 100's (1000's) of bars and eateries within 15 walk! St.Kilda beach is one of the worst beaches i have ever been to in my life its full of backpackers getting wrecked at the worst of times and partial to heavy winds! that and the fact i cut my elbow on glass and my friend stood on a needle! Its the pits!

You seem to be into eating out and enjoying the odd drink! do yourself a favour move north you wont look back!

In relation to $40 dollars an hour

I understand $40 isn't alot of money and I have chippie friends who are earning something around these figures, even i was recently.

My original reference to $40 was meant to be more of a statement to the effect that you wont get off the plance here unskilled with the gift of the gab and land a job earning $40 unless you are a tradie or have experience in a white collar job. stories being told at home may have you believe that you will but take it from me you wont be earning $40 working in a bar/laboring!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Just registered the expression of interest the other day after having gone through the IELTS exam and skills assessment which takes a while. Looking at the stats from immigration, most people with 60 points or more is getting an invite at this stage unless the quota for your occupation is reached. I've got 65 so hope to get an invite at the end of May round.

I came on the WHV purely to see if I liked the country and could adapt. Didn't want to spend $6k on a visa for a country I'd never even been to! Turns out I love it here so am now willing to invest. I'm sure many are in the same boat. I've done my travelling and I was ready to settle down here. I know this isn't what the visa is designed for but as long as it stays the same, people will use it to suit their individual needs.

I knew the risks coming over on the WHV and it's not easy but as long as you're aware of that coming over I wouldn't put anyone off it.

What has your financial outlay been so far may i ask?

Im thinking of going for this visa as i get the points but i'm wondering would it be a waste of time as i only have until november to be accepted! ill be honest i have about 10k in the bank i'm gonna blow about 3k of that on a bike this week! So it leaves me with 7k. I could do the tests and register my interest but if i dont get the visa by november i will have to leave and i will have very little money to fly to somewhere and set myself up again!

Can someone off me some advice! chur!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

What has your financial outlay been so far may i ask?

Im thinking of going for this visa as i get the points but i'm wondering would it be a waste of time as i only have until november to be accepted! ill be honest i have about 10k in the bank i'm gonna blow about 3k of that on a bike this week! So it leaves me with 7k. I could do the tests and register my interest but if i dont get the visa by november i will have to leave and i will have very little money to fly to somewhere and set myself up again!

Can someone off me some advice! chur!

Hey,

If you go for 189 visa you maybe pushing it to get it by November however have you considered the 190 visa (State sponsorship)? I recently was granted this visa. You get an extra 5 points for state sponsorship plus automatically receive an invitation to apply for the visa. You are not guaranteed to receive an invitation for 189 visa immediately.

My timeline was as follows:

Applied for State Sponsorship 19th Dec 12
    SS Nomination received 21st Dec 12
    190 Visa app submitted 21st Jan 13
    Medical completed 7th Feb 13
    Visa granted 21st Feb 13

Condition of this visa is you have to stay in the state that sponsored you for 2 years. Victoria is my chosen state, the 2 year condition does not bother me as Melbourne is the best city in Australia as far as I am concerned.

I probably spent about $5k for the whole process. I done it without the help of a migration agent.

If you need to know anything else just shout.

I didn't say $40 was big bucks, danotroy did. I wish the going rate was higher. I did have a dig at mandrake by saying brag, he makes me feel like I'm not earning enough!

eh! I always maintained that skilled trades usually start around $40 ph and most professionals $50-$60 which is mostly true.

If you are employed by a recruiter and they are paying you $40 ph then they also have to pay 9% super, I wouldn't be surprised if the company is paying the recruiter $65-$70 ph for you as the recruiter has to make a profit whilst also factoring in the potential for your flight flights home if you are no longer required.

You could always get a better paying job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Hi, how did you go about getting the skilled visa or what ere the qualifications for it?

I have 4 years experience in finance at home in Dublin too and while I am in a decentfinance job at the moment I am interested in looking at better jobs with better money if I could get the skilled visa.

I have had exactly the same experience as you in that any job I apply for I havre received calls but when they hear im on the 417 WHV thye generally dont want to know

Your occupation must be on this list: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

If not then you can go down the state sponsorship route if your occupation is on this list: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

If it's not on either then you don't really have an option to stay long-term unless you have a spouse/de-facto who is on the list. So far I've done the IELTS ($330) and the skills assessment ($400). Doesn't cost anything to do an expression of interest but once you get invited you pay $3,060 for the application and have to do a medical as part of it.

eh! I always maintained that skilled trades usually start around $40 ph and most professionals $50-$60 which is mostly true.

You could always get a better paying job!!

If only it was that easy! Melbourne seems to be worse in terms of work for accountants. All my mates are on the same or lower in the same profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Annag15

Hi I thought i'd add my few cents in here ! I've been in Oz with two months, only managed to get farm work last week. Been in Sydney & Brisbane looking for work (& all around oz i'll go wherever the work is!) my background is finance & accounting with 6 yrs exp , I found a lot of agencies never responded to my calls or emails. A few rang me & said cos I'd no Oz experience that I'd find it hard to get work which is crazy unless someone gives me a job! I got numbers off friends of friends etc & numbers off people I met in hostels so been ringing people mad but nothing was Going. The farm work here will go towards my second visa if I decide I'm definitely staying on. My only advice to anyone looking for farm work , try to get paid by the hr & not by what you pick, avoid mildura & harvest hoppers!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rusty Shackleford

How did you apply for ur your visa? Did u you do it urself yourself online or use a company like usit?

Mod No more 'u' instead of you, I know you're new, but please stop with text shorthand

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

Here's my two cents....Australia is a continent, get out of the centre of Melbourne, Perth etc where there are thousands competing for jobs and thousands more arriving each day....if you were looking for work in Ireland you wouldn't just concentrate on Dublin city. I know so many people who gave up and came back to Ireland after a couple of weeks in oz saying they couldn't get work. As I said its a huge continent! Don't be fooled by the promise of amazing weather and huge salaries, you've got to get to know the place, network and be willing to do anything to keep yourself going until you get into the job you want. I have a degree and postgrad and worked in deli, a restaurant, a farm and a bar until I got a job in my profession. Australia offers amazing opportunities but honestly guys don't waste your time and money if you expect it all to just be handed to you when you arrive. You've got to be willing to put in the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rusty Shackleford

That all makes sense. So I get where not to go then, but any thoughts on where one SHOULD go?

Advertisement