Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone find A Feast For Crows difficult to start?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I've read books 2, 3a and 3b in about a fortnight (read book 1 last year).

After the fantastic events of Book 3 I'm finding book 4 a bit difficult to get into and I wonder if anybody else found that?

Maybe new locations is it?

I'm on the first Arya chapter so please don't spoil me, but I found the other books unputdownable and this, so far at least, isn't.

Maybe it's always the same when a book begins.....

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

After the fantastic events of Book 3 I'm finding book 4 a bit difficult to get into and I wonder if anybody else found that?

I'm on the first Arya chapter so please don't spoil me, but I found the other books unputdownable and this, so far at least, isn't.

What do you guys think?

Yeah it's a slow burner. Stick with it though, the next one is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yep... my least favourite, but Dance shall be your reward! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

What do you guys think?

It's not a great book and to be honest in spite of what a lot of people say, I didn't think the fifth was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its a tough read first time out but its considerably better on rereads. Dance with Dragons isnt that much better than A Feast For Crows imo especially if you reread both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Take a break from the series. Go read a few other things then come back to it.

AFFC suffers from a considerable change of pace from the break-neck pace of the previous books. kksaints is right that it's much better on re-reads or when read slowly. This one is all about the foreshadowing, subtlely revealed political machinations and some back-story being revealed while the plot progresses slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yes! I flew through ASOS and when I saw the chapter titled
    "The Prophet"
    I was like the cat that got the cream for a few minutes.

But yeah it's a tough one to get into with all the new characters and missing the staple but I really started enjoying it towards the end.

The one thing that stood out for me though was that I was happy to get a Sansa chapter :eek: :pac:

Yep took me a lot longer to read AFFC but just keep going slowly. A lot more to take in with a lot of new characters but for me it was worth getting to ADWD which I loved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I took a break of about three months about half way through it. It was a tough slog at the time, but once i finish ADWD (77% at the moment) i'm considering doing a chronological reread during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yeah, it's a slow one, specially after the rollercoaster that is ASoS. It picks up towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Found it pretty tough to get through as well. A lot of new characters. Thought Dance was a lot easier to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I've started from the beginning again - determined to read slower this time to take it all in.

When i get to AFFC however, i'm going to try reading it in Chronological order using this link as my guide: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I've started from the beginning again - determined to read slower this time to take it all in.

When i get to AFFC however, i'm going to try reading it in Chronological order using this link as my guide: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

Thats a good guide, I might try that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm reading at the moment, it's defintely all the new characters that is making it more of a challenge. There is also alot more exposure to the places that were mentioned in earlier books so there is a bit more time spent on familiarising with those places.

Still enjoying the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

i'm just finished a storm or swords so think i might take people's advice and read AFOC a bit slower! ASOS was just epic

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

On my first reading, I found AFfC a tough read mostly because of the lack of some of my favourite characters.

The second reading (in time for the release of a ADwD) was much easier as I knew the characters I wanted to read about were only a book away.

However, at that stage I didnt know how poor ADwD would turn out to be. Worst book of the series by far. It is to be expected though, most series like this dip towards the middle books. I just hope GRRM can pull it out of the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've just started it again, for a second time. I got about a third the way through it before - which was right after reading the previous books.

Finding it much easier this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

It's probably one of my favourite books. It's definitely slower than Storm but in a good way. Jamie's and Brienne's chapters in particular are very good, developing the landscape of Westeros a bit more. Much better than Dance imo which is by far my least favourite. For such a big book not a lot happens in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

I'm hoping the re read will be better but I have to say I found it tough going. Brienne and Dorne in particular were brutal. Jaime and Cersei were both strong, and the Iron Islanders were okay. Arya's ark is also much weaker compared to previous books, Sansa not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Yeah, I found it slow going at first. I think it was made worse because I re-read the first three books before starting it, so the RW was fresh in my mind again and I wanted to find out what happened next with everyone else. It deserves a second reading, however.

Before ADwD came out I read through the books again beforehand and it was better second time around. AFfC and ADwD definitely benefit from being read alongside each other rather than one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm on chapter 36 in AFFC, definitely harder to get into. I'm not a fan of any chapters in Dorn. Iron Islands ones are good, so are the other established characters chapters. But not much happening really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think the relative lull in comparison with earlier books is just setting everything up for some huge payoffs in the final two books. Also, I like how it fleshes out the whole of Westeros a bit more. I don't think the books get worse, per se, but that the break neck pace of the first few versus the relative slow moving later books kinda makes them into a slog.

Mr Velo wrote: »

I read them that way for my 3rd read of AFFC and second of ADwD. It definitely benefits both books.

I would, however, suggest that an eReader is extremely useful for this type of reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Okay so a few chapters in and I like the book, however I do think ill do the combined reading. Thanks for the guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

When I looked at the chapters I said 'UGH!' but I did slowly get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm 20% in now, and enjoying it as a slow read.

Was there a long gap between the release of Book 3 and Book 4? Because there are a lot of "reminders" going on - who's dead, who killed them, what battles happened, who won them etc

I think that if people re-read the whole series before reading it, they might find it a bit boring or full of superflous information - but coming back to it nearly a year after reading the first three, with countless other books read in between, it's nice to get those little reminders, and also to learn more about the other parts of the Kingdom.

I'm 20% in now, and enjoying it as a slow read.

Was there a long gap between the release of Book 3 and Book 4? Because there are a lot of "reminders" going on - who's dead, who killed them, what battles happened, who won them etc

I think that if people re-read the whole series before reading it, they might find it a bit boring or full of superflous information - but coming back to it nearly a year after reading the first three, with countless other books read in between, it's nice to get those little reminders, and also to learn more about the other parts of the Kingdom.

A decent point this, I read feast straight after book 3 and the repetitiveness along with so many new characters really made it harder to read.

Ever read the Harry Potter books? A Wheel of Time?

Any reasonably long series of books has a lot of repetition to jog readers memories. The gap between ASOS (2000) and AFFC (2005) was particularly long so no great surprise that he included plenty of reminders!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I felt very let down by AFFC, I found it to be way too long and a chore to get through. It just seemed very poorly edited, so many parts just felt like filler. And the walking, so much walking around doing nothing. He really went balls out adding Titles to chapters instead of names which after a while I found irritating. A lot of the smaller characters only appear relevant after reading a ADWD. It does pick up close to the end though.

I found ADWD better but not by a huge amount, after reading AFFC it was a relief to be reading about the main characters again but it also suffers from far too many characters, filler and travelling around doing nothing. It was at this point I decided that I'd much prefer Danaerys be killed and be done with it rather than to have to suffer another of her chapters.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I felt very let down by AFFC, I found it to be way too long and a chore to get through. It just seemed very poorly edited, so many parts just felt like filler. And the walking, so much walking around doing nothing. He really went balls out adding Titles to chapters instead of names which after a while I found irritating. A lot of the smaller characters only appear relevant after reading a ADWD. It does pick up close to the end though.

I found ADWD better but not by a huge amount, after reading AFFC it was a relief to be reading about the main characters again but it also suffers from far too many characters, filler and travelling around doing nothing. It was at this point I decided that I'd much prefer Danaerys be killed and be done with it rather than to have to suffer another of her chapters.

I enjoyed it myself but I agree GRRM needs an editor (or a more stringent one than he has now at any rate). Genuinely think both of them could have been edited down to include
    the battles that are on the horizon
    rather than pushing them into the WoW. Hell they could probably have been squeezed into one book at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hell they could probably have been squeezed into one book at a push.

Agree 100%,
    all that build up only to have to wait for the TWOW to see how things play out was disappointing. Especially as IIRC George said one of them was to be included originally and was removed.

Still there's always the sample chapter on his website for those of us who must have a sneak peak.

Advertisement