Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of electricity across the EU

Options
  • 07-05-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

From The Economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/05/daily-chart-4?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/voltsforvolks

What is interesting to note is that if we applied Germany's tax rate to electricity we would be dramatically more expensive than even Cyprus which tops the table well above us currently. This raises interesting questions about why it is so expensive for us to produce one kW of electricity. Yes, definitely economies of scale come in here to some extent, but is it our fuel mix combined with a high wage base that really kills us here? I mean looking at that chart, are we really paying *that* much more in wages than the other countries in Europe or is not going the nuclear route *that* bad cost wise per unit?

Expensive electricity is both bad for business and bad for consumers, so really keeping the cost of electricity down should be a much bigger issue for Ireland than it is at present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

nesf wrote: »
    From The Economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/05/daily-chart-4?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/voltsforvolks

What is interesting to note is that if we applied Germany's tax rate to electricity we would be dramatically more expensive than even Cyprus which tops the table well above us currently. This raises interesting questions about why it is so expensive for us to produce one kW of electricity. Yes, definitely economies of scale come in here to some extent, but is it our fuel mix combined with a high wage base that really kills us here? I mean looking at that chart, are we really paying *that* much more in wages than the other countries in Europe or is not going the nuclear route *that* bad cost wise per unit?

Expensive electricity is both bad for business and bad for consumers, so really keeping the cost of electricity down should be a much bigger issue for Ireland than it is at present.

I assume proximity to fuel sources, as well a lack of economies of scale, are key factors. As high as wages may be vs say average wages must, they must still only make up quite a low percentage of costs in an energy generation company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Slightly different picture when you compare domestic electricity prices to the EU average in terms of PPP

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/EPSSU_Publications/Price_Directive_2nd_Semester_2011_.pdf
    2znv9xw.jpg
    When purchasing power parities are applied, Ireland is 4% below the average in the most significant consumption band DD. In band DC, Ireland is 4% above the average.

Resi Gas Prices in PPP:

33nktty.jpg
    Ireland is below the average in all bands, ranging from 10% to 44% below. In band D2 Ireland was 13% below the Euro Area average.

ehh, anyone know where they are getting the 44% figure btw?

100-66=34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I thought I had read somewhere, some time ago (not much of a source) that the electricity price was being kept high by the regulator to try and stimulate competition to ESB, which would of course eventually bring down prices (seems mad to me but I suppose that's the logic people who view the world backwards through the binoculars of economics come up with which a simpleton like me could never understand!).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Is PPP of much relevance here when the main cost component of electricity generation is an imported good for this country? When one is discussing whether electricity should be cheaper of course.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I thought I had read somewhere, some time ago (not much of a source) that the electricity price was being kept high by the regulator to try and stimulate competition to ESB, which would of course eventually bring down prices (seems mad to me but I suppose that's the logic people who view the world backwards through the binoculars of economics come up with which a simpleton like me could never understand!).

It's very expensive to get into the electricity generation business on a large scale and it takes a long time to start making a profit over your initial investment. If electricity prices in the medium term drop because of some new technology (this does happen in electricity generation) you might find the price/kW doesn't cover the cost of running your generation plants (even things like wind farms have non-negligible running costs because of wear and tear to the mechanical parts of the turbine, quite substantial costs if a generator needs to be rewound etc.).

Think of it this way, if you have 5 million Euro you could build a wind farm or you could put it into a bank. The bank will give you say 3% interest (not realistic, you could do a balanced investment for greater returns but whatever I'm making up numbers here), if you're not guaranteed a return of at least 4-5% from your windfarm per year why would you ever build the wind farm? The wind turbines will need to be replaced 20-25 years down the road (probably sooner because of technological improvements) so you need to get your 5 million back and turn a better profit than 3% a year for it to make any sense from a financial point of view.

• Advertisement

Is PPP of much relevance here when the main cost component of electricity generation is an imported good for this country?

No, I don't think it is. Not much relevance in terms of the multinational sector either when a company is deciding where to locate

Fair enough point on the PPP but even comparing Euro prices in the higher consumption bands DD and DE (>5,000 kWh), the report states that Ireland was 2% and 15% cheaper than the Eurozone average respectively.

It was only mildly higher than average (108%) for DC band (2,500 - 5,000 kWh).

Granted these stats only apply to residential supply, but it appears that we haven't been doing terribly badly for an island nation with scarce cross border transmission capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

We once had close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe and a cheap enough domestic unit too. Then the idiots we elect to run the country decided to stick their dirty noses in. ‘Competition’ they said was what we needed. So they banned the ESB from building new power stations. That didn’t see a rush of Friends of Fianna Fail entering the market so they ordered the ESB to sell off blocks of land near stations to their competitors. The knights in shining armour still didn’t turn up so a few brown envelopes later they ordered the ESB to sell off power stations to competitors. More dodgy letter covers and the ESB were ordered to reduce their share of the market below 40%. There were plenty more similar bright ideas from the wise men in Kildare Street so that the new Gods of the free market like the mighty Quinn could line their pockets and off-shore accounts.

The result is that there is now competition in the market and we have some of the highest unit prices in Europe. The irony is that the ESB is running successful businesses in many other countries where the Kildare Street mafia cannot reach with their dirty, dishonest paws.

Yes, we seem to be extremely expensive if you use little electricity but pretty cheap considering if you use a lot as a residential customer. It's a bit stranger for business, the key table here is the rankings table, we're more expensive than over 2/3rds of the EU for most areas but we're the 4th most expensive for the IC band and again 11th most expensive for the highest consumption band. (Bigger numbers means cheaper for those who don't want to read the pdf).

I wonder if this kind of pricing structure is common across the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

solas111 wrote: »
    We once had close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe and a cheap enough domestic unit too.
    Because there was no investment or renewal going on. We are now playing catch-up.
    The irony is that the ESB is running successful businesses in many other countries.
    Name their foreign generation / supply businesses. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

One of the big reasons our electricity prices can be so high is we generate a lot of our electricity from gas. Over 90% of that gas comes through the UK leaving us exposed to fluctuations in the exchange rate between euro & pound but also to dynamics in the UK gas market. If wholesale gas prices go up in the UK, they will also go up in Ireland.

It's important not to forget the role of taxes in energy prices and of course how energy prices are more important for some sectors than others. For energy intensive industry it can be the biggest or second biggest cost. For the services sectors, it's more likely to be employment costs, property costs and taxes.

DG Energy has an interesting comparison of retail electricity prices across the EU with useful maps that help visualise it better. Starting pg 28:

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/observatory/electricity/doc/qreem_2012_quarter3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

solas111 wrote: »
    We once had close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe and a cheap enough domestic unit too. Then the idiots we elect to run the country decided to stick their dirty noses in. ‘Competition’ they said was what we needed. So they banned the ESB from building new power stations. That didn’t see a rush of Friends of Fianna Fail entering the market so they ordered the ESB to sell off blocks of land near stations to their competitors. The knights in shining armour still didn’t turn up so a few brown envelopes later they ordered the ESB to sell off power stations to competitors. More dodgy letter covers and the ESB were ordered to reduce their share of the market below 40%. There were plenty more similar bright ideas from the wise men in Kildare Street so that the new Gods of the free market like the mighty Quinn could line their pockets and off-shore accounts.

The result is that there is now competition in the market and we have some of the highest unit prices in Europe. The irony is that the ESB is running successful businesses in many other countries where the Kildare Street mafia cannot reach with their dirty, dishonest paws.
    Perhaps you could tell us when Ireland had "close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe" because I am guessing it was in the 1960s and 70s, shortly after most of our power stations were built. Today ESBs assets are quickly becoming obsolete and will require major investment to upgrade. SSE is currently constructing a 460MW CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) at Great Island, Co. Wexford, which is expected to be commissioned in 2014. They also have eceived full planning permission for a proposed 450MW CCGT plant at Tarbert, Co. Kerry and development sites at Lanesboro and Shannonbridge. I would be more confident of SSE and the future owner of Bord Gais Energy making further investments than ESB upgrading Moneypoint which can consume up to 7,000 tonnes of coal per day.

What we have now is not competition. Under Directive 2009/72/EC EU member states are required to separate transmission from generation and supply activities. Ireland currently does not comply with this because EirGrid is licensed to act as transmission system operator (TSO) and is responsible for the operation and development of the transmission grid while ESB still own the assets is responsible for carrying out the maintenance and construction of the system, in addition to operating in the energy supply market.

What needs to happen here is to transfer the grid (both transmission & distribution) to Eirgrid and sell energy producing assets and allow private companies compete in the domestic energy market on a level playing field. ESB (or Electric Ireland as that arm likes to be known these days) could retain a number of assets and compete in the market if they so wished (although I dont think a heavily unionised semi-state company would last long in a competitive market like this). This kind of Full Ownership Unbundling would create greater competition - it is as close to perfect competition as you can get because all competitors provide the exact same product (electricity) and would be using the same network which is owned and operated by an independant company (Eirgrid) and therefore they are competing on price alone. This would reduce energy costs for the consumer. The sale of Bord Gais Energy is a step in the right direction and will earn the country ~€1bn.

Also, according to the Frontier Economics report into the options for unbundling of transmission assets in the context of the EU Directive, Eirgrid suggest that ownership unbundling will lead to gross benefits of €80-90 million per year;
    These benefits can be broken down into:
    Efficiencies associated with single ownership and accountability - €21 million;
    Outsourcing benefits - €15 million;
    Reduced duplication of effort - €6 million;
    Reduced project financing costs for developers - €7 million;
    Lower constraints costs - €4 million and €6 million; and
    from connecting renewable resources more quickly - €35 million

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Perhaps you could tell us when Ireland had "close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe" because I am guessing it was in the 1960s and 70s, shortly after most of our power stations were built. Today ESBs assets are quickly becoming obsolete and will require major investment to upgrade. SSE is currently constructing a 460MW CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) at Great Island, Co. Wexford, which is expected to be commissioned in 2014. They also have eceived full planning permission for a proposed 450MW CCGT plant at Tarbert, Co. Kerry and development sites at Lanesboro and Shannonbridge. I would be more confident of SSE and the future owner of Bord Gais Energy making further investments than ESB upgrading Moneypoint which can consume up to 7,000 tonnes of coal per day.

What we have now is not competition. Under Directive 2009/72/EC EU member states are required to separate transmission from generation and supply activities. Ireland currently does not comply with this because EirGrid is licensed to act as transmission system operator (TSO) and is responsible for the operation and development of the transmission grid while ESB still own the assets is responsible for carrying out the maintenance and construction of the system, in addition to operating in the energy supply market.

What needs to happen here is to transfer the grid (both transmission & distribution) to Eirgrid and sell energy producing assets and allow private companies compete in the domestic energy market on a level playing field. ESB (or Electric Ireland as that arm likes to be known these days) could retain a number of assets and compete in the market if they so wished (although I dont think a heavily unionised semi-state company would last long in a competitive market like this). This kind of Full Ownership Unbundling would create greater competition - it is as close to perfect competition as you can get because all competitors provide the exact same product (electricity) and would be using the same network which is owned and operated by an independant company (Eirgrid) and therefore they are competing on price alone. This would reduce energy costs for the consumer. The sale of Bord Gais Energy is a step in the right direction and will earn the country ~€1bn.

Also, according to the Frontier Economics report into the options for unbundling of transmission assets in the context of the EU Directive, Eirgrid suggest that ownership unbundling will lead to gross benefits of €80-90 million per year;

Makes a lot of sense on the face of it. Didn't Pat Rabitte rule this out though?

PRAF wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense on the face of it. Didn't Pat Rabitte rule this out though?

I don't remember if it was ruled out but I do remember that there was grumbling that it would make life very hard on the ESB if they went this route and took away the grid from them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

fly_agaric wrote: »
    believe it or not, the esb applied earlier in the year for a 7% price increase, the regulator gave them 8.5%, my figures may be a little out not much tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Originally the plan was to sell a 30% share in ESB but imo this is a terrible idea and thankfully this has since been dropped. Rabitte has ruled out "the break-up of the ESB" claiming the "Cahill-Frontier report recommended against that". Of course what Rabitte said here is totally untrue because the Frontier Report looked at the options available to Ireland under Directive 2009/72/EC and, unsurprisingly, the Directive says nothing about ESB. Rabitte seems to wish to continue with the status quo dispite that not being an option but it is easier for a Minister than tackling the ESB unions. It will most likely result in Ireland being hauled in front of the European Court for failure to comply with a Directive as has happened in the past. Rabitte will of course be gone by this time and the taxpayer will be left to pick up another bill when we should be reaping the benefits of fairer and more competitive energy market.

Originally the plan was to sell a 30% share in ESB but imo this is a terrible idea and thankfully this has since been dropped. Rabitte has ruled out "the break-up of the ESB" claiming the "Cahill-Frontier report recommended against that". Of course what Rabitte said here is totally untrue because the Frontier Report looked at the options available to Ireland under Directive 2009/72/EC and, unsurprisingly, the Directive says nothing about ESB. Rabitte seems to wish to continue with the status quo dispite that not being an option but it is easier for a Minister than tackling the ESB unions. It will most likely result in Ireland being hauled in front of the European Court for failure to comply with a Directive as has happened in the past. Rabitte will of course be gone by this time and the taxpayer will be left to pick up another bill when we should be reaping the benefits of fairer and more competitive energy market.

This kind of thing gives the unions a bad name IMO. It is blatant self interest and you need a strong minister to stand up to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'd be cautious about assuming that unbundling is going to automatically bring increased competition and lower prices. In the UK many of the large companies bypass the wholesale market and the generation arm of the company sells directly to the supply arm giving zero price transparency. The deregulation of prices will be needed to make sure any price reductions (or increases) are passed along to the final consumer.

Also, huge investments are needed in the energy sector over the coming years and these will have to be paid for, ultimately, by end users. At the moment, wholesale electricity prices in Europe are actually so low, there is very little investment happening in generation capacity.

The only technologies really being built out are renewables because of subsidies. Gas plant owners are crying out for capacity payments as their load factors decline and nuclear is never going to be built without state aid, hence the UK plans. Some coal plant plans are being revived because of cheap coal prices and the failure of the ETS to deliver a carbon price.

So in the short term, cheaper prices could occur with price deregulation but in the longer term, higher prices are inevitable due to investment needs.

The one thing that can really save us is efficiency. If it's inevitable that the unit price of energy, we need to make sure we're using as few units as possible. German households actually have a higher per unit price of electricity than Ireland but their bills are still lower because their houses are just far more efficient (even with much colder winters).

Macha wrote: »
    I'd be cautious about assuming that unbundling is going to automatically bring increased competition and lower prices. In the UK many of the large companies bypass the wholesale market and the generation arm of the company sells directly to the supply arm giving zero price transparency. The deregulation of prices will be needed to make sure any price reductions (or increases) are passed along to the final consumer.

Also, huge investments are needed in the energy sector over the coming years and these will have to be paid for, ultimately, by end users. At the moment, wholesale electricity prices in Europe are actually so low, there is very little investment happening in generation capacity.

The only technologies really being built out are renewables because of subsidies. Gas plant owners are crying out for capacity payments as their load factors decline and nuclear is never going to be built without state aid, hence the UK plans. Some coal plant plans are being revived because of cheap coal prices and the failure of the ETS to deliver a carbon price.

So in the short term, cheaper prices could occur with price deregulation but in the longer term, higher prices are inevitable due to investment needs.

The one thing that can really save us is efficiency. If it's inevitable that the unit price of energy, we need to make sure we're using as few units as possible. German households actually have a higher per unit price of electricity than Ireland but their bills are still lower because their houses are just far more efficient (even with much colder winters).

The Germans - annoyingly efficient, as always!

Why can't we just outsource our entire national infrastructure to them!

The Germans - annoyingly efficient, as always!

Why can't we just outsource our entire national infrastructure to them!

No objections from my side. And of course let's not forget Germany has committed to phasing out nuclear and really going for renewables. In case anyone thinks nuclear is a solution for high Irish energy prices, nuclear energy is by far the most expensive energy source you can possibly imagine. And that's not including all the freebies the industry enjoys.

• Advertisement

Macha wrote: »
    One of the big reasons our electricity prices can be so high is we generate a lot of our electricity from gas. Over 90% of that gas comes through the UK leaving us exposed to fluctuations in the exchange rate between euro & pound but also to dynamics in the UK gas market. If wholesale gas prices go up in the UK, they will also go up in Ireland.
    While this may lead to fluctuations, it shouldn't lead toa huge differential. Gas can be bought in advance to hedge prices.
    It's important not to forget the role of taxes in energy prices and of course how energy prices are more important for some sectors than others.
    Indeed, in the case of Denmark, the very high taxes appear to suppress the base price, while it seem to be the opposite in the UK. However, it will depend on what proportion of the tax is VAT and what proportion is excise-type taxes.
    Perhaps you could tell us when Ireland had "close to the cheapest industrial unit charge in Europe" because I am guessing it was in the 1960s and 70s, shortly after most of our power stations were built.
    Actually it was in the 1990s. With Moneypoint built in 1984 and all the older stations still going, there was a huge amount of excess capacity and no perceived need for new generation capacity, so money was neither invested nor put aside for new capacity. The problems arose in the late 1990s with demand booming and the older power stations needing increased maintenance and replacement.
    Today ESBs assets are quickly becoming obsolete and will require major investment to upgrade. SSE is currently constructing a 460MW CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) at Great Island, Co. Wexford, which is expected to be commissioned in 2014. They also have eceived full planning permission for a proposed 450MW CCGT plant at Tarbert, Co. Kerry and development sites at Lanesboro and Shannonbridge. I would be more confident of SSE and the future owner of Bord Gais Energy making further investments than ESB upgrading Moneypoint which can consume up to 7,000 tonnes of coal per day.
    There is actually quite a bit of diversity in the generation sector now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

The real problem at the moment is the transmission and distribution systems are becoming dated and need €2-3bn in investment (which is happening).
    What needs to happen here is to transfer the grid (both transmission & distribution) to Eirgrid and sell energy producing assets and allow private companies compete in the domestic energy market on a level playing field. ESB (or Electric Ireland as that arm likes to be known these days) could retain a number of assets and compete in the market if they so wished (although I dont think a heavily unionised semi-state company would last long in a competitive market like this).
    I do think the grid should go to EirGrid or other non-Electric Ireland entity and it should take certain generation capacity with it - in particular the hydro and pumped-hydro stations. That way, Electric Ireland can become just another generator / supplier.
    The sale of Bord Gais Energy is a step in the right direction and will earn the country ~€1bn.
    "Earn" is the wrong word. If you sell your house, you have just 'earned' the money.
    I don't remember if it was ruled out but I do remember that there was grumbling that it would make life very hard on the ESB if they went this route and took away the grid from them completely.
    I'm not seeing the problem - a level playing pitch should be a level playing pitch.

Victor wrote: »
    While this may lead to fluctuations, it shouldn't lead toa huge differential. Gas can be bought in advance to hedge prices.
    And it normally is, plus the fact that gas is still largely oil-indexed in Europe. The fact remains we are still a price taker on gas.

I wonder if retail customers really want truly deregulated gas and electricity prices...everyone wants certainty.
    Victor wrote: »
    Indeed, in the case of Denmark, the very high taxes appear to suppress the base price, while it seem to be the opposite in the UK. However, it will depend on what proportion of the tax is VAT and what proportion is excise-type taxes.
    True.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Germany has two main problems in its electricity supply.
    1. The cost of electricity there is phenomenal. Among the highest in the world, if not the highest.
    2. They're on a coal power plant building spree the likes of which are absolutely unprecedented in the first world. This can only spell catastrophe for human health and the viability of Nordic lakes and streams via acid rain.
    3. Introduction of unstable, expensive power sources threatens the viability of that nations industrial sector, as they are far more sensitive in every possible respect to these issues.
    All of these problems have one root cause - the environmental left. Germany and the problems therein are a textbook example of letting environmentalists anywhere near energy policy.

This madness is currently spreading all over Europe like a cancer, and in an Irish context contributes to the cost of electricity by means of the Public Service Obligation levy, which goes to subsidise wind farms, though here we are also subsidising peat fired power, which to me seems like madness.

Wind farms are filthy, they kill birds and bats en-masse, they're ugly, they and other renewables are unreliable and the small scale fluctations they introduce into power grid wreak havoc on industrial processes that rely on a continous (i.e. not even interrupted or alteration for even a fraction of a second) stable power supply. And they have to be subsidised like crazy.

And the environmental-left can't get enough of them :rolleyes: Unfortunately voices of sanity are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SeanW wrote: »
    they and other renewables are unreliable and the small scale fluctations they introduce into power grid wreak havoc on industrial processes that rely on a continous (i.e. not even interrupted or alteration for even a fraction of a second) stable power supply. And they have to be subsidised like crazy.

Sorry but that is just wrong. If you're referring to frequency fluctuations due to renewables on the system, that is all handled and dealt with - it does not affect industrial facilities.
    Also, regarding the subsidies, the portion of the PSO used for renewables is a drop in the ocean when compared to capacity payments made to other generators, along with the rest of the PSO which is used to subsidise peat-burners and a handful of other generators.

Wind farms are filthy
    explain?

Germany has two main problems in its electricity supply.
    1. The cost of electricity there is phenomenal. Among the highest in the world, if not the highest.
    2. They're on a coal power plant building spree the likes of which are absolutely unprecedented in the first world. This can only spell catastrophe for human health and the viability of Nordic lakes and streams via acid rain.
    3. Introduction of unstable, expensive power sources threatens the viability of that nations industrial sector, as they are far more sensitive in every possible respect to these issues.
    All of these problems have one root cause - the environmental left. Germany and the problems therein are a textbook example of letting environmentalists anywhere near energy policy.

This madness is currently spreading all over Europe like a cancer, and in an Irish context contributes to the cost of electricity by means of the Public Service Obligation levy, which goes to subsidise wind farms, though here we are also subsidising peat fired power, which to me seems like madness.

Wind farms are filthy, they kill birds and bats en-masse, they're ugly, they and other renewables are unreliable and the small scale fluctations they introduce into power grid wreak havoc on industrial processes that rely on a continous (i.e. not even interrupted or alteration for even a fraction of a second) stable power supply. And they have to be subsidised like crazy.

And the environmental-left can't get enough of them :rolleyes: Unfortunately voices of sanity are few and far between.

You're saying the environmental left are behind a coal plant building spree? :confused:

You're saying the environmental left are behind a coal plant building spree? :confused:
    The argument is that Germany is building these plants to compensate for nuclear plant shutdowns. The reality is many of these coal plants were planned long before the nuclear phaseout, or energiewende, was announced.

Recent increases is coal generation (as opposed to capacity) in Germany are a result of lower coal prices in Europe and a non-existent carbon price as delivered by the ETS. In fact, Germany is currently a net electricity exporter, demonstrating that coal generation is being ramped up for economic purposes and not to meet German demand. More data here:

http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/en/downloads-englisch/pdf-files-englisch/news/electricity-production-from-solar-and-wind-in-germany-in-2013.pdf

Edit: Actually here's a graph showing renewables are covering lower nuclear output and gas is being replaced with coal, as you would expect with higher clean dark spreads than clean spark spreads:

Ah, way too big. Viewable here: http://www.unendlich-viel-energie.de/uploads/media/AEE_ersetzen_Atomstrom_en.jpg

[*]They're on a coal power plant building spree the likes of which are absolutely unprecedented in the first world. This can only spell catastrophe for human health and the viability of Nordic lakes and streams via acid rain.
    The technology has massively improved.
    No. Given the high price of oil/gas, there is no need to subisdise peat.
    Wind farms are filthy, they kill birds and bats en-masse,
    But other types of generation also kill wildlife - see Scandanavian and Canadian lakes and forests.
    they and other renewables are unreliable
    What is wrong with thermal, hydro or bio-fuels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Why is electricity so expensive hear?

1. Nuclear
    2. Wind Power works fine when the wind is blowing at the right speed. But you need to back it up with quick fire power plants, Gas, nuclear or hydro.
    Gas is our only option at the moment. It's expensive and we are the end of along pipeline. An interconnector to France is the only way to get cheap Nuclear. No sign of this happening.
    3. We let the energy companies rip us off. Why wont the regulator make them keep there prices the same like nearly every other company has in this recession. ESB and Bord Gais are still making profits. It would be no harm for them to be breaking even or make a loss. Why should the consumer have to bail them out. They awarded there staff a pay rise, since the economic collaspe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dob74 wrote: »
    3. We let the energy companies rip us off. Why wont the regulator make them keep there prices the same like nearly every other company has in this recession. ESB and Bord Gais are still making profits. It would be no harm for them to be breaking even or make a loss. Why should the consumer have to bail them out. They awarded there staff a pay rise, since the economic collaspe.

So Electric Ireland and Bord Gais should be allowed undercut the likes of Airtricity and be subsidised by the government?
    Gas prices have shot up in the last few yeas, hence the price of electricity has rise. It's as simple as that.
    Also, power companies issue bonds to refinance the business. Conditions attached to those bonds would concern certain profitability targets being met.
    The consumer is not "bailing out" the state owned power companies. They are run as businesses and they return money to the exchequer in the form of dividends.

Advertisement