Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carmageddon free on Android, this Friday, the 10th of May only

Options
  • 07-05-2013 6:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Carmageddon, has been ported to Android (at long last) and a special Promo version will be available free on Googleplay this Friday the 10th of May, for 24 hours only. After Friday the App will be its usual price of 3.89

If you go to Carmageddon.com you can register an account and receive an alert when its available to download from the Play Store.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Comments

cheers, but it's http://www.carmagedDon.com/ (2 d's)
    can't see anything about it being free though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

glasso wrote: »
    cheers, but it's http://www.carmagedDon.com/ (2 d's)
    can't see anything about it being free though...

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/droid-news-youre-looking
    There has also been some discussion as to how we will be handling making the Android version free for the first 24 hours. This will be dealt with in the following way (resulting in 3 versions of the App being available):
    • Carmageddon PROMO – The FULL game for FREE (only available May 10th for 24hrs)
    • Carmageddon – Full game
    • Carmageddon FREE – Demo version of the game

After the first 24 hours of its release, the PROMO version of the game will be removed from Google Play and will no longer be available. Subsequently, the PROMO version will be unsupported because we have no way to update the title once it's taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seems to be based on Carmageddon II, which is good because the first one is very rough now, this could actually be one of the best racing games you can get on android if they pull it off properly speed and controls-wise, or maybe Im just looking back with rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've been playing on the iPhone and iPad for a while now. It's really really good. The controls are much easier on the iPad, but it's still playable and has all the fun of the original (less network play)

I've paid real money for worse games.

Apparently it's free on iOS on Friday too:

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/total-eclipse-moo-lah
    NEWSFLASH! We celebrate this coming Friday’s coincidental total lunar eclipse and launch of Carmageddon on ANDROID, with an equally opaque title for this News item… Plus MORE!!

What, did somebody say FREE CARMAGEDDON on iOS?

Yes, we did!

For the great iOS multitude of app fans everywhere across this bloody great globe of ours, on Friday the 10th of May, we will be celebrating the Release of the all-time number one Motoring Mayhem game Carmageddon on ‘that other OS’. And how do we celebrate? Usually with six or seven crates of beer followed by a visit from six or seven cop cars… But THIS time, we offer all the great nations of the world Carmageddon for iOS… FREE! Available for ONE DAY ONLY in the APP store!

So, keep ‘em peeled, and on Friday the 10th of May, our amazing iOS Carmageddon app will be completely FREE for only 24 hours. Booze, snooze, you lose! If you do not have the app yet, this will be the day to get it for FREE! If you want to tell your skint friends, do it now! And if you want a friendly reminder, sign up to Carmageddon.com and we'll send you an email!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Nice share - for free its well worth a try.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great stuff, loved playing it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you go to Carmageddon.com you can register an account and receive an alert when its available to download from the Play Store.

Why register, you told us when it's available to download - Friday 10th May ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Because it alerts you exactly when it is!

Because it alerts you exactly when it is!

OK, so it's not from 00.00 - 23.59 on Friday 10th May?

• Advertisement

Which timezone though? Register to find out for sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I spent hours and hours of my youth playing this during my teenage years, definite download.

vicwatson wrote: »

It takes too much time to register, but you're happy to take the time to post twice complaining about it? :rolleyes:

it's free on May 10 but seems that there are "in-app purchases". Can you enjoy the game properly without buying stuff?

Guess I'll hear in the email :cool:

glasso wrote: »
    it's free on May 10 but seems that there are "in-app purchases". Can you enjoy the game properly without buying stuff?

On the iOS game you can unlock all the cars with an in-app purchase. Otherwise you can play through the game and unlock them as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

will this have any effect
    Subsequently, the PROMO version will be unsupported because we have no way to update the title once it's taken down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

batistuta9 wrote: »
    will this have any effect

If its full of bugs (unlikely) they won't have a fix available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

smccarrick wrote: »
    If its full of bugs (unlikely) they won't have a fix available.

Is it not a bit of a strange way to do it though?

Why couldn't the just make the full version free on Friday & change the price up then, like what happens with other apps

it's nearly guaranteed to have problems on some devices, would it not

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Is it not a bit of a strange way to do it though?

Why couldn't the just make the full version free on Friday & change the price up then, like what happens with other apps

it's nearly guaranteed to have problems on some devices, would it not

Not necessarily- it may run better on some devices than on others- however its likely to be a well coded Java programme- so it should be agnostic as to which sort of device it runs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Got this as a freebie on IOS, still a good laugh and playable on a touchscreen, so I can't wait to get it on my big screen android phone, thanks OP !

Thargor wrote: »
    Which timezone though? Register to find out for sure :D

Well, I thought we're on Irish time, on boards.ie? no?????

Guess I'll hear in the email :cool:

If you've given your details to them right?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Cheers OP, good find.

If you've given your details to them right?

If you don't have a separate email for things like this you are doing it wrong.

Well, I thought we're on Irish time, on boards.ie? no?????
    Thats right Vic, now consider the companies that make games like Carmageddon, are they on Irish time? How about the servers that power google Play and the people that place these things on the Play market, are they on Irish time? A dilly of a pickle as Ned flanders would say.

Thats right Vic, now consider the companies that make games like Carmageddon, are they on Irish time? How about the servers that power google Play and the people that place these things on the Play market, are they on Irish time? A dilly of a pickle as Ned flanders would say.

Stainless Games are based on the Isle of Wight. I'm pretty sure it will be free on 10th May in your own particular time zone.

Jesus, the amount of moaning over something that's actually free...

I was being sarcastic about the amount of debate that was going into registering or not registering...

Sorry. My sarcasm detector needs a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Seems to be based on Carmageddon II, which is good because the first one is very rough now, this could actually be one of the best racing games you can get on android if they pull it off properly speed and controls-wise, or maybe Im just looking back with rose tinted glasses.
    Its Carmageddon 1 not 2

Advertisement