Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to standardise Taxi's in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So you have proof students and social welfare claimers drive taxis then ? I'd imagine most of them couldn't afford the car, tax, insurance, licence, fuel etc. Asylum seekers would probably have a hard job getting even a driving licence tbh.

Edit: If you sought asylum after 26 July 1999, you are not entitled to work - from the citizen's information website.

No that's what happens in places like NY where you rent a taxi for a shift for x amount of dollars, is that what people want here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But is standardisation what you want? Do you want to travel in vehicle with high step if you are infirm, do you want to travel in an 8 seater taxi if you're on your own, do you want to travel in an interior that's related to Ryan Air

Seriously?

- I count 4 Seats. Perfect for a cab. Also you showed a picture of the seats fully pushed back (they are on rails to allow you vary the luggage space at the back - normally the are closer to the front).
    - Yes you do - if you are elderly or infirm you don't want to bend down to get into a passenger car. That's why Golf makes a Golf plus. You also omitted the pop out step as below.
    - The bright colours on the grab rails and front of the seats are for the partially sighted. That said I'd rather fly Ryanair then a Dublin cab - their planes are modern and clean and the price is cheap - I can fly to London for less then the cost of Dublin Airport -> City Centre. Perhaps Michael should start Ryan Cabs....

As for your previous post - we should also have a standard large Taxi (an eight seater unlike this one).

It's a standard - not a make, so manufacturers can freely enter the market if they meet the regs just like London.

06a67d9f-12e9-4848-a4be-f63b53b609de-800x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I wonder how many people that desire the likes of vehicle like the Londoncab et al as a standardised taxi have actually travelled in on a regular basis or owned/operated them before?

Many people find them uncomfortable to travel in for anything more than short trips due to the seating arrangements. A lot of people find them awkward to get in and out (I'm not just thinking wheelchars here but other mobility impairments) while they sometimes suffer from vibrations and hence motion sickness. These points alone make mini cabs the chosen cab of a lot of people in the UK.

From a drivers point of view, as a rule they are more costly to buy, maintain, fuel and run than most family cars given their size and builds. Being a niche vehicle drivers are effectively then tied to a few service agents; this makes down times quick repair and servicing less likely which means less time on road one can expect to be out earning. Also, the second hand market for such vehicles will be poor should a driver want to upgrade to a newer cab.

Crucially though, to expect the 28,000+ taxis in Ireland to make the change is a very very big ask. A new Mercedes Vito, which is TFL passed, starts at £35,000. As wheelchair assessible taxi's are not VAT and Excise relieved for drivers, this means that driver operators here will need to shell out to meet such a standard. While you may point out that a certain standard is de rigeur in the UK, this is what they have come to know over the years; raising the bar here this high is a dangerous operation without being aware of the expected fall out and what will be required to make it work, especially with the financial elements of this.

Certainly there are benefits to be had but the drawbacks need to be addressed first up; there are more pressing things that can be introduced to make things better as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Simple start would be ruling out cars below the size of a camry / 5series / a6 etc as simply too small in the back and boot to be comfortable and practical if there are 3+ passengers with luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Simple start would be ruling out cars below the size of a camry / 5series / a6 etc as simply too small in the back and boot to be comfortable and practical if there are 3+ passengers with luggage
    This would be a good first step. They could easily set some minimum size rules that would get rid of a lot of the garbage that passes for a taxi in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Exactly.. regardless of whether we go for a purpose-specific single vehicle or not, my point earlier in the thread was the need to eliminate the ridiculously unsuitable cars that are currently being used as taxis.

Any small hatchback (Focus size), any jeep-style vehicle should be removed.

I've no issue with something like a VW Transporter myself. Personally I think a Passat is an ideal taxi (having owned a 06 model myself privately for years). It's economical, comfortable, plenty of boot space and if looked after will last for years (mine has 240,000+ km on it and still runs like clockwork).

As for the 5 series, I remember being stuck in the back seat of a friends 09 model.. never again - and I'm only 5'8! Ditto the A4. The A6 though is a good choice (and will be my next car :))

murphaph wrote: »
    This would be a good first step. They could easily set some minimum size rules that would get rid of a lot of the garbage that passes for a taxi in Ireland.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Exactly.. regardless of whether we go for a purpose-specific single vehicle or not, my point earlier in the thread was the need to eliminate the ridiculously unsuitable cars that are currently being used as taxis.

Any small hatchback (Focus size), any jeep-style vehicle should be removed.

I've no issue with something like a VW Transporter myself. Personally I think a Passat is an ideal taxi (having owned a 06 model myself privately for years). It's economical, comfortable, plenty of boot space and if looked after will last for years (mine has 240,000+ km on it and still runs like clockwork).

As for the 5 series, I remember being stuck in the back seat of a friends 09 model.. never again - and I'm only 5'8! Ditto the A4. The A6 though is a good choice (and will be my next car :))

Could someone please alert the authorities that we appear to have a couple of aliens/trans dimensional beings posting on boards.ie.

http://nationaltransport.ie.cdn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Initial-Suitability-Inspection-Manual-Dec-2012-PDF.pdf

Before you decide to invade Earth maybe you should check on the current status of things by having a good read

Could someone please alert the authorities that we appear to have a couple of aliens/trans dimensional beings posting on boards.ie.

http://nationaltransport.ie.cdn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Initial-Suitability-Inspection-Manual-Dec-2012-PDF.pdf

Before you decide to invade Earth maybe you should check on the current status of things by having a good read

With all due respect, the tone of your posts in this thread just comes across as against anything that might cost you money - regardless of how it might benefit the customer you're serving.

I can only assume then that a lot of drivers are ignoring the rules/guidelines as the facts are that there are a load of old, small and/or unsuitable, poorly maintained, poorly presented vehicles out there and as well as bringing these under a common clear branding (which is long overdue), a single or short-list of models needs to be set for the vehicle itself.

To be fair and take advantage of innovations and progress, this can be reviewed every 4/5 years (which is when most manufacturers refresh their line-up) but I don't see any problem with the idea - other than it may cost some drivers money to upgrade the 96 Carina E they're still using.

With all due respect, the tone of your posts in this thread just comes across as against anything that might cost you money - regardless of how it might benefit the customer you're serving.

I can only assume then that a lot of drivers are ignoring the rules/guidelines as the facts are that there are a load of old, small and/or unsuitable, poorly maintained, poorly presented vehicles out there and as well as bringing these under a common clear branding (which is long overdue), a single or short-list of models needs to be set for the vehicle itself.

To be fair and take advantage of innovations and progress, this can be reviewed every 4/5 years (which is when most manufacturers refresh their line-up) but I don't see any problem with the idea - other than it may cost some drivers money to upgrade the 96 Carina E they're still using.

As a businessman, yes I'm against anything that eats into my meager profit margin.

Drivers are not allowed to ignore the regulations regarding the size of vehicles or the age of vehicles but the NTA in a monumental fudge up rescinded the 9 year age rule that was coming into force and put into effect a 14 year age limit which would then become 9 years on renewal.

Suitable models list ...ask and ye shall find

http://nationaltransport.ie.cdn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Model_Report_Database_25.03.13.pdf

I'll ignore the comments about 96 carinas as under the new laws ( when they get passed by the Oireachtas ) they wont be renewed after they get to 14 years old

As I said before you invade Earth or reinvent the wheel a little research pays dividends

• Advertisement

As a businessman, yes I'm against anything that eats into my meager profit margin.

Drivers are not allowed to ignore the regulations regarding the size of vehicles or the age of vehicles but the NTA in a monumental fudge up rescinded the 9 year age rule that was coming into force and put into effect a 14 year age limit which would then become 9 years on renewal.

Suitable models list ...ask and ye shall find

http://nationaltransport.ie.cdn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Model_Report_Database_25.03.13.pdf

I'll ignore the comments about 96 carinas as under the new laws ( when they get passed by the Oireachtas ) they wont be renewed after they get to 14 years old

As I said before you invade Earth or reinvent the wheel a little research pays dividends

Well to be fair, as a paying customer I'm not concerned about your profit margins to be honest - if I'm looking for a taxi I want something that will get me from A to B in as efficient and safe/comfortable a manner as possible.

Given the choice between a newer, bigger and well presented car with multiple airbags, better safety ratings and the aforementioned 96 Carina E or small cramped hatchback, I know which one I'll flag down on the street.

And while I sympathise that the way the industry has been handled in many ways is farcical, taxi drivers are not owed a living no more than anyone else. I have a friend who's a driver and complains about business and it barely covering his costs - but he sits at the airport rank half the day!

Well to be fair, as a paying customer I'm not concerned about your profit margins to be honest - if I'm looking for a taxi I want something that will get me from A to B in as efficient and safe/comfortable a manner as possible.

Given the choice between a newer, bigger and well presented car with multiple airbags, better safety ratings and the aforementioned 96 Carina E or small cramped hatchback, I know which one I'll flag down on the street.

And while I sympathise that the way the industry has been handled in many ways is farcical, taxi drivers are not owed a living no more than anyone else. I have a friend who's a driver and complains about business and it barely covering his costs - but he sits at the airport rank half the day!

I love the way you say that, however, I would suggest as a customer that you should indeed be concerned about the profit margins in the taxi business, they may be all that's between you and a fatal accident because of lack of maintenance or over tiredness.

Edit You are perfectly entitled to flag down a better car than the 96 Carina, in fact I wish more people did so because at the end of the day Bums on Seats are all that keep the Carina running at all

As to a living, agreed but as a business the less messing around the better at least I'd be able to plan my next step rather than being forced to wait and see what happens.

The belief is that the disabled etc. will rebel and force the government into a situation when the WATs are forced off the road due to age restrictions being applied

I love the way you say that, however, I would suggest as a customer that you should indeed be concerned about the profit margins in the taxi business, they may be all that's between you and a fatal accident because of lack of maintenance or over tiredness.

My counter to that is that if you're not making enough as a driver without having to work crazy hours or you're skimping on essential maintenance then you should get out of the game - ESPECIALLY if you're at risk at harming yourself, your customer or others!

It's not like taxi's are cheap as it is and again, you (like me or anyone else) are not owed a living from what you do. If work dried up in my field in the morning I'd have to retrain and do something else.

Even as it is I have to keep my skills up to date (which in the taxi driving context you could equate to knowing the area you service - not always a given in my experience - and having a car that's fit for purpose)

Sorry mate, but little sympathy here if you're persisting despite the signs being on the wall that it's time to do something else.

My counter to that is that if you're not making enough as a driver without having to work crazy hours or you're skimping on essential maintenance then you should get out of the game - ESPECIALLY if you're at risk at harming yourself, your customer or others!

It's not like taxi's are cheap as it is and again, you (like me or anyone else) are not owed a living from what you do. If work dried up in my field in the morning I'd have to retrain and do something else.

Even as it is I have to keep my skills up to date (which in the taxi driving context you could equate to knowing the area you service - not always a given in my experience - and having a car that's fit for purpose)

Sorry mate, but little sympathy here if you're persisting despite the signs being on the wall that it's time to do something else.

And the counter to that is why? if by neglecting/scrimping on maintenance or sleep allows people to pay their bills they're going to do it. It's like any self employed business people will start cutting corners to remain in business

If I save €100 on a repair bill by fitting parts from a breakers that's a €100 to pay a bill like the electricity, you as a customer just need to hope that they go to a reputable breaker or that the part isn't mission critical

As to retraining, yeah has been suggested before, unhappily for anyone that's been involved for over a year in self employment, retraining has to be paid for in it's entirety by themselves, no FAS or SW to help them out there.

Anyways at the end of the day I don't need your sympathies just your bums on my seats and people not trying to cut my profit line even further by trying to get discounts

And the counter to that is why? if by neglecting/scrimping on maintenance or sleep allows people to pay their bills they're going to do it. It's like any self employed business people will start cutting corners to remain in business

If I save €100 on a repair bill by fitting parts from a breakers that's a €100 to pay a bill like the electricity, you as a customer just need to hope that they go to a reputable breaker or that the part isn't mission critical

As to retraining, yeah has been suggested before, unhappily for anyone that's been involved for over a year in self employment, retraining has to be paid for in it's entirety by themselves, no FAS or SW to help them out there.

Anyways at the end of the day I don't need your sympathies just your bums on my seats and people not trying to cut my profit line even further by trying to get discounts

You're not getting the point though..

You want "bums on seats" (which is fair enough) but you're not offering anything in return - insofar as displaying a willingness to change with your customers needs/demands and the standards they expect.

Frankly I'm more concerned by your apparent willingness to cut corners (in terms of maintenance and rest) to make a few quid, potentially at my expense - and I'm not talking financially.

Again, you're not guaranteed/owed a living from taxi'ing mate and if you're potentially putting people's safety at risk (including your own) by continuing to stick at it, then (and this will sound harsh) you should be forced out before you kill yourself or someone else.

micosoft wrote: »
    Seriously?

- I count 4 Seats. Perfect for a cab. Also you showed a picture of the seats fully pushed back (they are on rails to allow you vary the luggage space at the back - normally the are closer to the front).
    - Yes you do - if you are elderly or infirm you don't want to bend down to get into a passenger car. That's why Golf makes a Golf plus. You also omitted the pop out step as below.
    - The bright colours on the grab rails and front of the seats are for the partially sighted. That said I'd rather fly Ryanair then a Dublin cab - their planes are modern and clean and the price is cheap - I can fly to London for less then the cost of Dublin Airport -> City Centre. Perhaps Michael should start Ryan Cabs....

As for your previous post - we should also have a standard large Taxi (an eight seater unlike this one).

It's a standard - not a make, so manufacturers can freely enter the market if they meet the regs just like London.

06a67d9f-12e9-4848-a4be-f63b53b609de-800x500.jpg

Should go to spec savers, I count 3 seats and floppy down thing that you might consider a seat ( I and many others wouldn't! )

wouldn't you prefer to be in here
    1zx63jq.jpg

Funny how many elderly/infirm passengers refuse to use WAT with or without the step, most seem to find the seating too uncomfortable for them, maybe you should talk to a few elderly people!

Yeah I know the bright colors are for partialy sighted passengers, mainly because they have to trek from the actual door to sit on the slabs that pass for seats

Just cos Ryanair fly you cheaply to London doesn't mean there aren't better VALUE airlines

You're not getting the point though..

You want "bums on seats" (which is fair enough) but you're not offering anything in return - insofar as displaying a willingness to change with your customers needs/demands and the standards they expect.

Frankly I'm more concerned by your apparent willingness to cut corners (in terms of maintenance and rest) to make a few quid, potentially at my expense - and I'm not talking financially.

Again, you're not guaranteed/owed a living from taxi'ing mate and if you're potentially putting people's safety at risk (including your own) by continuing to stick at it, then (and this will sound harsh) you should be forced out before you kill yourself or someone else.

Well as I said as a customer maybe you should be more concerned with the profit margins of taxis, and your response shows that you never really thought about it before.

Hopefully you don't end up being killed in an accident caused by poor maintenance or over tiredness but a lot of people will do what ever it takes to remain business solvent and to hell with the inherent risks.

As to what am I offering I'm offering a taxi journey from A-B for which I expect to get sufficient recompense to cover the costs and make a profit.

Pretty simple really like most business's

Well as I said as a customer maybe you should be more concerned with the profit margins of taxis, and your response shows that you never really thought about it before.

Hopefully you don't end up being killed in an accident caused by poor maintenance or over tiredness but a lot of people will do what ever it takes to remain business solvent and to hell with the inherent risks.

As to what am I offering I'm offering a taxi journey from A-B for which I expect to get sufficient recompense to cover the costs and make a profit.

Pretty simple really like most business's

Actually if this is the reality for many drivers then I'd in fact advocate a return to the "bad old days" of limiting the numbers of licenses so that the customer - and general public - isn't placed at unnecessary risk by overtired drivers, skimping on costs, driving poorly maintained and potentially dangerous cars, competing for a dwindling slice of pie.

I'm leaving aside for the moment the fact that you think this justifies the view that we should therefore be happy to pay whatever the meter reads.

I'm sorry but your attitude genuinely astounds me that you think it's acceptable to put people's lives at risk, your own included, so you can continue to drive a taxi rather than facing reality and doing something else if the financial rewards aren't there.

Should go to spec savers, I count 3 seats and floppy down thing that you might consider a seat ( I and many others wouldn't! )

Huh? You were the one that counted 8....
    It's a seat. The Taxi regulators of NY, TKY and LDN all disagree with you.
    wouldn't you prefer to be in here

Funny how many elderly/infirm passengers refuse to use WAT with or without the step, most seem to find the seating too uncomfortable for them, maybe you should talk to a few elderly people!
    Not really as the possibilty is that I will get a clapped out banger instead of a new Superb.
    The Nissan is not a wheelchair accessible taxi and is nothing like a Vito. And it's not funny at all how some taxi drivers treat the elderly, disabled and vision impaired. Perhaps you should talk to ASK your customers...
    Yeah I know the bright colors are for partialy sighted passengers, mainly because they have to trek from the actual door to sit on the slabs that pass for seats

Just cos Ryanair fly you cheaply to London doesn't mean there aren't better VALUE airlines

Do you? At this point your arguments have moved from tenuous to nonsense. You really don't care much for your customers much do you?

I wonder how many people that desire the likes of vehicle like the Londoncab et al as a standardised taxi have actually travelled in on a regular basis or owned/operated them before?

Lived in both London and Hong Kong. You get used to the consistency of it. And it's great as a tourist - the almost guarantee of decent taxi service, a vehicle that will accept your bags and four people.

Many people find them uncomfortable to travel in for anything more than short trips due to the seating arrangements. A lot of people find them awkward to get in and out (I'm not just thinking wheelchars here but other mobility impairments) while they sometimes suffer from vibrations and hence motion sickness. These points alone make mini cabs the chosen cab of a lot of people in the UK.

Not a valid comparison - completely different markets. Public Taxi's are not meant for long distance journeys and priced accordingly.
    From a drivers point of view, as a rule they are more costly to buy, maintain, fuel and run than most family cars given their size and builds. Being a niche vehicle drivers are effectively then tied to a few service agents; this makes down times quick repair and servicing less likely which means less time on road one can expect to be out earning. Also, the second hand market for such vehicles will be poor should a driver want to upgrade to a newer cab.

I respectfully disagree. The London Cab was a pig because of it's age and design. Modern ones such as the Nissan will be far more cost effective and are mass produced.
    - Standard Nissan Diesel does not need any specialist servicing.
    - A vehicle designed for public service is going to take more wear and tear so should reduce your costs.
    - There would be a London - Dublin Market which would be substantial

Again though, the important thing is the customer experiance...
    Crucially though, to expect the 28,000+ taxis in Ireland to make the change is a very very big ask. A new Mercedes Vito, which is TFL passed, starts at £35,000. As wheelchair assessible taxi's are not VAT and Excise relieved for drivers, this means that driver operators here will need to shell out to meet such a standard. While you may point out that a certain standard is de rigeur in the UK, this is what they have come to know over the years; raising the bar here this high is a dangerous operation without being aware of the expected fall out and what will be required to make it work, especially with the financial elements of this.

Certainly there are benefits to be had but the drawbacks need to be addressed first up; there are more pressing things that can be introduced to make things better as a whole.

All fair points. That said I did suggest Dublin and specifically the Airport run first as a pilot. From the customer experience of someone arriving to Ireland on business the lack of a professional taxi type sets us back and the Taxi's there are in many cases not appropriate. I think only Dublin would suit this approach. A Vito is expensive - as per the link the Nissan would be a lot cheaper.

I'm not sure what pressing items there are but having a standard Taxi type would drive out the cowboys. Bringing in a form of the Knowledge is also essential (even with Sat Nav).

Smartphones will change the market though - Hailo and Uber will change the way people call Taxi's in the near future.

• Advertisement

Actually if this is the reality for many drivers then I'd in fact advocate a return to the "bad old days" of limiting the numbers of licenses so that the customer - and general public - isn't placed at unnecessary risk by overtired drivers, skimping on costs, driving poorly maintained and potentially dangerous cars, competing for a dwindling slice of pie.

I'm leaving aside for the moment the fact that you think this justifies the view that we should therefore be happy to pay whatever the meter reads.

I'm sorry but your attitude genuinely astounds me that you think it's acceptable to put people's lives at risk, your own included, so you can continue to drive a taxi rather than facing reality and doing something else if the financial rewards aren't there.

I never said it was acceptable I said it's happening, that's a big difference, many drivers have said that the issue of licenses should be coupled to the demand for taxis, but in today's world of free trade it's an idea that's always poo pooed as being those that are in a trade trying to keep others out. Indeed you yourself have already intimated this by the statement "And while I sympathise that the way the industry has been handled in many ways is farcical, taxi drivers are not owed a living no more than anyone else. " So where do you propose that people make sufficient profit to provide the vehicles that you'd like to see on the road?

Simple business concept for you

Business Income minus Business Costs equals Profit

Out of that profit you will need to provide for your own income, after all that's the whole idea of running a business

Out of that business costs you will need to provide the vehicles that you (the customer ) want

If the business costs exceed the business income then you are business insolvent, therefore you either increase the income or reduce the costs, you don't ( as people want to at the moment ) reduce the income and increase the costs.

I suggest before people start toying with other peoples business's they at least look at the way a business is meant to fundamentally operate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Lived in both London and Hong Kong. You get used to the consistency of it. And it's great as a tourist - the almost guarantee of decent taxi service, a vehicle that will accept your bags and four people.

Not a valid comparison - completely different markets. Public Taxi's are not meant for long distance journeys and priced accordingly.

I respectfully disagree. The London Cab was a pig because of it's age and design. Modern ones such as the Nissan will be far more cost effective and are mass produced.
    - Standard Nissan Diesel does not need any specialist servicing.
    - A vehicle designed for public service is going to take more wear and tear so should reduce your costs.
    - There would be a London - Dublin Market which would be substantial

Again though, the important thing is the customer experiance...

All fair points. That said I did suggest Dublin and specifically the Airport run first as a pilot. From the customer experience of someone arriving to Ireland on business the lack of a professional taxi type sets us back and the Taxi's there are in many cases not appropriate. I think only Dublin would suit this approach. A Vito is expensive - as per the link the Nissan would be a lot cheaper.

I'm not sure what pressing items there are but having a standard Taxi type would drive out the cowboys. Bringing in a form of the Knowledge is also essential (even with Sat Nav).

Smartphones will change the market though - Hailo and Uber will change the way people call Taxi's in the near future.

In addition I'd say we need to start seriously thinking of having more environmentally friendly PSVs on our roads. Including mass capacity transit.

I don't expect it over night and perhaps the technology isn't fully sufficient yet but we do need to have a plan towards a migration in the not too distant future

Huh? You were the one that counted 8....
    It's a seat. The Taxi regulators of NY, TKY and LDN all disagree with you.

Not really as the possibilty is that I will get a clapped out banger instead of a new Superb.
    The Nissan is not a wheelchair accessible taxi and is nothing like a Vito. And it's not funny at all how some taxi drivers treat the elderly, disabled and vision impaired. Perhaps you should talk to ASK your customers...

Do you? At this point your arguments have moved from tenuous to nonsense. You really don't care much for your customers much do you?

I believe that you stated "- I count 4 Seats. Perfect for a cab. Also you showed a picture of the seats fully pushed back (they are on rails to allow you vary the luggage space at the back - normally the are closer to the front)."

That's not a new Superb it's a 2009 variant which under proposed legislation will be good only for a further 4 years use, already classified as being nearer to clapped out than new

The Nissan is a WAT otherwise it wouldn't be TFL approved

If you don't know something don't be afraid to ask

I never said it was acceptable I said it's happening, that's a big difference, many drivers have said that the issue of licenses should be coupled to the demand for taxis, but in today's world of free trade it's an idea that's always poo pooed as being those that are in a trade trying to keep others out. Indeed you yourself have already intimated this by the statement "And while I sympathise that the way the industry has been handled in many ways is farcical, taxi drivers are not owed a living no more than anyone else. " So where do you propose that people make sufficient profit to provide the vehicles that you'd like to see on the road?

Simple business concept for you

Business Income minus Business Costs equals Profit

Out of that profit you will need to provide for your own income, after all that's the whole idea of running a business

Out of that business costs you will need to provide the vehicles that you (the customer ) want

If the business costs exceed the business income then you are business insolvent, therefore you either increase the income or reduce the costs, you don't ( as people want to at the moment ) reduce the income and increase the costs.

I suggest before people start toying with other peoples business's they at least look at the way a business is meant to fundamentally operate

But i think you have hit the nail on the head. Those who can't afford to stay in the business go insolvent and disappear. Same as an other business. Businesses live in a world of changing demand and changing regulation and those we adapt best survive.

Anyone doing anything illegal or putting an unsafe PSV on the road, when caught out should have their licence revoked permanently. Catching them, of course is another matter

Uriel. wrote: »
    In addition I'd say we need to start seriously thinking of having more environmentally friendly PSVs on our roads. Including mass capacity transit.

I don't expect it over night and perhaps the technology isn't fully sufficient yet but we do need to have a plan towards a migration in the not too distant future

There is it's called a bus service, however, it would seem that people want to be able to complete a journey from Door A to Door B in one go rather than Door A to Bus stop/ bus / bus stop/ Door B so unless you're proposing a bus route down every single street then mass transit isn't the full solution.

But i think you have hit the nail on the head. Those who can't afford to stay in the business go insolvent and disappear. Same as an other business. Businesses live in a world of changing demand and changing regulation and those we adapt best survive.

Anyone doing anything illegal or putting an unsafe PSV on the road, when caught out should have their licence revoked permanently. Catching them, of course is another matter

Yep catching them, remember Primetime investigates and the reporter renting a taxi and taking it to an independent assessor to be told it was a death trap , wonder whatever happened to Josh?

There is it's called a bus service, however, it would seem that people want to be able to complete a journey from Door A to Door B in one go rather than Door A to Bus stop/ bus / bus stop/ Door B so unless you're proposing a bus route down every single street then mass transit isn't the full solution.
    What are you talking about?

Maybe my post wasn't clear. "greener" technology should be integrated into All our PSVs including taxis AND buses etc... I wasn't talking about developing more bus routes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If we could go back in time to pre-deregulation then ideally what should have happened is:

- Triple the number of licenses
    - Put in place very strong regulations on the type of vehicles, age and maintenance
    - Introduce a Dublin Bus normal 24 hour service

I think we would have avoided many of the issues we currently have with the taxi industry.

Ironically the taxi industry at the time fought that tooth and nail, they wanted no increase in taxi plates, so the government was forced to de-regulate the industry instead.

So now we instead end up with a situation that isn't optimal for either passengers nor drivers.

What are you talking about?

Maybe my post wasn't clear. "greener" technology should be integrated into All our PSVs including taxis AND buses etc... I wasn't talking about developing more bus routes

So why reference mass transit or do you mean like FF/FG that allow 1000's of taxis to be licensed because it's a cheap alternative to providing REAL mass transit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bk wrote: »
    If we could go back in time to pre-deregulation then ideally what should have happened is:

- Triple the number of licenses
    - Put in place very strong regulations on the type of vehicles, age and maintenance
    - Introduce a Dublin Bus normal 24 hour service
    Ironically the taxi industry at the time fought that tooth and nail, they wanted no increase in taxi plates, so the government was forced to de-regulate the industry instead.
    but were they really forced to go down that route though? they could have easily gone with your suggestions (which are good ones IMO) and let the taxi drivers like it or lump it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement