Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OP has clearly never been in Supermacs at 2 A.M. on a bank holiday. Now that's shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Vietnam war was not a war but a war crime committed by the United States in the name of corporate greed.

Did you watch or read 'The Trial of Henry Kissinger' by Christopher Hitchens? Touches on these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Do you not feel that is a very flippant comment for a war that killed 1.5 million Vietnamese and 30,000 American soldiers?
    mosstin wrote: »
    And the prize for the dumbest post of the year goes to....

I love the smell of righteous indignation in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

One of the principle reasons for US intervention was about western interests (state Capitalism) ensuring by all means necessary that an alternative model of development, that was supported by a strongly Nationalist 80% of the population of Vietnam, should fail.

The Vietnamese were sick of being a colony and just wanted the French and US to fuck off home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

A series of campaigns of brutal aggressive totalitarian wars* and democides
    (1945-ongoing)against the people of Indochina waged by the communists and all funded by the USSR and Red China.
    It is mixed in with six wars spanning 43 years (the Indochina War, Vietnam War, Cambodian War, subsequent guerrilla war in Cambodia, guerrilla war in Laos, and Sino-Vietnamese War), one of them involving the United States; a near twenty-one year formal division of the country into two sovereign North and South parts; the full communization of the North; occupation of neighboring countries by both North and South; defeat, absorption, and communization of the South; and the massive flight by sea of Vietnamese. As best as can be determined, through all this close to 3,800,000 Vietnamese lost their lives from political violence, or near one out of every ten men, women, and children. Of these, about 1,250,000, or near a third of those killed, were murdered.

All this democide and bloodshed in the name of totalitarian communism .

Communism has been the greatest social engineering experiment we have ever seen. It failed utterly and in doing so it killed over 100,000,000 men, women, and children, not to mention the near 30,000,000 of its subjects that died in its often aggressive wars and the rebellions it provoked. But there is a larger lesson to be learned from this horrendous sacrifice to one ideology. That is that no one can be trusted with power. The more power the center has to impose the beliefs of an ideological or religious elite or impose the whims of a dictator, the more likely human lives are to be sacrificed. This is but one reason, but perhaps the most important one, for fostering liberal democracy.

*There where six wars

• Advertisement

A series of campaigns of brutal aggressive totalitarian wars* and democides (1945-ongoing)against the people of Indochina waged by the communists and all funded by the USSR and Red China.

It is mixed in with six wars spanning 43 years (the Indochina War, Vietnam War, Cambodian War, subsequent guerrilla war in Cambodia, guerrilla war in Laos, and Sino-Vietnamese War), one of them involving the United States; a near twenty-one year formal division of the country into two sovereign North and South parts; the full communization of the North; occupation of neighboring countries by both North and South; defeat, absorption, and communization of the South; and the massive flight by sea of Vietnamese. As best as can be determined, through all this close to 3,800,000 Vietnamese lost their lives from political violence, or near one out of every ten men, women, and children. Of these, about 1,250,000, or near a third of those killed, were murdered.

All this democide and bloodshed in the name of totalitarian communism .

Communism has been the greatest social engineering experiment we have ever seen. It failed utterly and in doing so it killed over 100,000,000 men, women, and children, not to mention the near 30,000,000 of its subjects that died in its often aggressive wars and the rebellions it provoked. But there is a larger lesson to be learned from this horrendous sacrifice to one ideology. That is that no one can be trusted with power. The more power the center has to impose the beliefs of an ideological or religious elite or impose the whims of a dictator, the more likely human lives are to be sacrificed. This is but one reason, but perhaps the most important one, for fostering liberal democracy.

*There where six wars

US/Western/Capitalist propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why were they in there

In was just part of the global chessboard manoeuvring, that was the Cold War. America had it's revenge later, when it turned Afghanistan into Russia's Vietnam. Unfortuntaely though, they aided and turned a blind eye to the more jihadist members of the Mujahideen. Which also included a certain Mr. Bin Laden of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

I visited the Memorial Wall made from black marble in Washington DC and to see so many peope there going through the names trying to find their loved one among the 58,000 names is a very sad sight to see and only highlighted to me the futility of war. It seems the American government doesn't share my views when you think about Iraq and Afghanistan and all the other little escapades in between these wars that they have been involved in. It is esimated that up to a million Vietnamese were killed, wouldn't that make some wall with all those names inscribed on it.
    We than went to see The White House and to see all the vets from Vietnam still protesting just across the road in the park in the front is a bit of a shock. They have their little tents decorated with momento's of their fallen comrade's and they shout abuse all day long. I suspect some of these poor fellows are not all that right in the head but it is still an eye opener. They are gradually being joined by vets from the other wars who are also very disgruntled. I can understand The White House being a tourist atraction but so are these sites along with Arlington Cemetery.

In was just part of the global chessboard manoeuvring, that was the Cold War.

This presumes there were two monoliths moving the pieces on the board i.e. Moscow and Washington, which is wrong, and breaks all post WWII conflicts down to justifying all interventions by the west as simply a virtuous containment of evil Communism's plan for world domination.. which is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

america should have been done for war crimes over their use of chemical weapons in vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I feel sorry for Vietnam's history. The Chinese ruled Vietnam for hundreds of years, then the French ruled them for another hundred years or so, the Japanese occupied them during WWII, and of course you have France trying to take back control and America and the Vietnam war. It just goes to show you how evil the world can be. Conquest, Power and Greed drives humanity to do terrible things. In WWII France was occupied by Germany, you'd think France would have learned what it felt like, and maybe see things from Vietnam's perspective, but no when the war was over they tried to take control again. It's because of this that I only see grey during WWII. There was no good or bad side, they're all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

america should have been done for war crimes over their use of chemical weapons in vietnam.

100's of people (mainly in Laos) are still killed each year as a direct result of the actions of the US during the war. The country is littered with unexploded ordnance. It's the most heavily bombed place in history.

Can you imagine if that many people were killed each year in say, Germany.. by unexploded US bombs? They would have been dragged before the international criminal court decades ago.

The whole episode is one of the most shameful in US history.

Just two and a half weeks ago, two more 10yr old students killed by a bomb..
    http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20130416-2-students-killed-in-bomb-blast-in-vietnam.aspx

Publicly, Vietnamese people are accepting of the Americans and French.. Indoors and especially when drunk, their hate for them is pretty incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

DazMarz wrote: »
    It was worth it alone for all the brilliant films that have come out of it.
    mosstin wrote: »
    And the prize for the dumbest post of the year goes to....

Yet, there is a certain human truth to it

If these wars were forgotten then all the lessons would never be learned.

See how the youth today re so peaceable and...

Oh wait..

Can you breakdown the figures a bit? Seems like a high number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I visited the Memorial Wall made from black marble in Washington DC and to see so many peope there going through the names trying to find their loved one among the 58,000 names is a very sad sight to see and only highlighted to me the futility of war. It seems the American government doesn't share my views when you think about Iraq and Afghanistan and all the other little escapades in between these wars that they have been involved in. It is esimated that up to a million Vietnamese were killed, wouldn't that make some wall with all those names inscribed on it.
    We than went to see The White House and to see all the vets from Vietnam still protesting just across the road in the park in the front is a bit of a shock. They have their little tents decorated with momento's of their fallen comrade's and they shout abuse all day long. I suspect some of these poor fellows are not all that right in the head but it is still an eye opener. They are gradually being joined by vets from the other wars who are also very disgruntled. I can understand The White House being a tourist atraction but so are these sites along with Arlington Cemetery.

I was there myself and it's a bit scary to see all those names on the wall. There is so many names that there is a book like the telephone directory at either end for you to locate the panel that has the person you are looking for on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

mattjack wrote: »
    Somebodys telling porkies here ,

I came to my senses.

I realized I killed the entire VC squad singlehanded. There was blood... and chunks of yellow flesh clinging to my bayonet. To this day, I don't remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Vietnam's history. The Chinese ruled Vietnam for hundreds of years, then the French ruled them for another hundred years or so, the Japanese occupied them during WWII, and of course you have France trying to take back control and America and the Vietnam war. It just goes to show you how evil the world can be. Conquest, Power and Greed drives humanity to do terrible things. In WWII France was occupied by Germany, you'd think France would have learned what it felt like, and maybe see things from Vietnam's perspective, but no when the war was over they tried to take control again. It's because of this that I only see grey during WWII. There was no good or bad side, they're all the same.

Not many people know that the English had control of Vietnam during 1945 ( Yalta agreement).
    Then the Brittish yielded to the french in 1946.
    Control of the opium trade had a lot to do with this debacle..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was just watching a doc on the Vietnam War and it's scary to see what these guys went through, one 21 year old man (on camera) actually called out for his Mom as his comrades tried to sooth him into death. His injuries were horrific. Another US guy stated that he felt his side were far more brutal than the Vietcong, some terrible atrocities were carried out over there by the US.

Why were they in there, what was it worth in the end? It destroyed the lives of many young men. Those who survived are the most scarred.
    Until you understand that US deaths were as little as 1.5% of the total killed during the war you just don't get the true horror of that war for the locals.

US fatalities 58,282, Total deaths including neighbouring countries up to 3,886,026 depending on who you believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Suckler

Not many people know that the English had control of Vietnam during 1945 ( Yalta agreement).
    Then the Brittish yielded to the french in 1946.
    Control of the opium trade had a lot to do with this debacle..

The Americans were also meddling in the discussions held in Switzerland (I think) that led to Vietnam being handed to the french. They were telling the world it was nothing to do with them but were discreetly exerting their influence behind closed doors to ensure they got what they wanted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Vietnam's history. The Chinese ruled Vietnam for hundreds of years, then the French ruled them for another hundred years or so, the Japanese occupied them during WWII, and of course you have France trying to take back control and America and the Vietnam war. .
    And the invasions by Cambodia which led to Vietnam counter invading and setting up a puppet People's Republic of Kampuchea. China then invaded in response and the boarder clashes continued into the 90's.

The bizarre part of the whole thing was that the West continued to recognise the previous government despite it's socio economic policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

We had no home front, we had no soft soap
    They sent us Playboy, they gave us Bob Hope
    We dug in deep and shot on sight
    And prayed to Jesus Christ with all of our might.

That was 'Nam - Cheltin-nam.

Advertisement