Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man cleared of sex assault: Anonymity should be a right

Options
  • 03-05-2013 3:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-cleared-of-sex-assault-anonymity-should-be-a-right-230214.html

A man cleared of sexual assault said his name should never have been made public and called for the law to be changed

Speaking outside court, Eamon Power said the accused in sex assault cases should have the same right to anonymity as the alleged victim until they have been found guilty.

Mr Power, a 35-year-old from Limerick, was unanimously found not guilty of sexually assaulting a teenage girl after two hours of deliberation.

Crying openly after the verdict, Mr Power said his life had been hell since the allegations surfaced three years ago. He could not get work and his health suffered.

“People have been coming up to me and calling me a scumbag. My name is on the paper, which it should not be. I think it was completely wrong and they should be able to do something about that. I have no previous convictions ever. I have nothing ever against me.

“At least it’s over now.”

His former girlfriend, Geraldine Carey, who gave defence evidence during the trial said: “I know Eamon. I was in a relationship with him for eight years, and know him inside out; an absolute gentleman. Eamon is the kind of man, if anybody called and were stuck, he’d drop what he was doing. He is a gentleman.

“I think it is outrageous it came to court and these allegations were taken into consideration, that this could possibly happen. It’s a pure disgrace.”

She said when they left the court on Tuesday they heard his name on the radio.

“Eamon Power, his name, address, that he was charged with three sexual assaults of a minor going back.”

His sister Nuala said a sexual allegation was the lowest of the low and as a result her brother could not get work. The family had to live the nightmare day in day out, she said.

The alleged victim, who is now aged 19, told the trial Mr Power unzipped her jeans when giving her a driving lesson.

She claimed the incident happened on the October bank holiday weekend in 2008 after Mr Power drove her to an industrial estate in Kilmallock.

In two previous incidents she claimed the accused attempted to place his hand on her breast when visiting her house with his then girlfriend, Ms Carey.

Garda Marie Tuohy said that during interviews Mr Power repeatedly denied the girl’s allegations.

The jury returned unanimous not guilty verdicts on all three counts

Too right, its about time the powers that be had a look at this, disgraceful that an innocent person can be hounded like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah he has a point, as a certain amount of mud will always stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What happens to the alleged 'victim'? Nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If he's innocent then the accuser should be made an example of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Can he sue her for damages to his good name?

If so, he should be entitled to a percentage of all her future earnings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

an american football player in America was accused, and spent 5 years in jail until his accuser admitted she lied.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/04/brian-banks-top-10-facts-you-need-to-know/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/story/2012-05-24/brian-banks-rape-conviction-overturned/55192420/1

the school district paid her $750,000 in compensation, and is now looking for it and legal fees back.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2013/04/15/31355/wrongful-accuser-of-brian-banks-facing-1-million-p/

it has arguably cost him millions with years missed playing college and NFL, never mind the mental anguish and the 'mud sticks' stigma attached to it. a horrible thing to accuse someone of, and it makes a mockery of women who have been assaulted and makes it harder for them to come forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not seen the other thread on this in here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056939710/6/#post84449048

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A prison sentence should have been handed to that person for making false allegations, that is a nasty thing to do to a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Down in Kerry a while back a girl accused a 16-year old guy of rape. He was murdered while walking home one night after his name was spread around. The girl later admitted she made up the whole rape story.

I do think names should be withheld until proven guilty.

Edit: old thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056565270

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How do you know in cases like this the person was found not guilty because of a false allegation or because there wasn't enough evidence to convict? A non conviction doesn't always mean innocent.

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Down in Kerry a while back a girl accused a 16-year old guy of rape. He was murdered while walking home one night after his name was spread around. The girl later admitted she made up the whole rape story.

I do think names should be withheld until proven guilty.

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you know in cases like this the person was found not guilty because of a false allegation or because there wasn't enough evidence to convict? A non conviction doesn't always mean innocent.

so what? guilty until proven innocent? ridiculous

no one should have their names released if they are found unanimously not guilty, and especially before any case has been heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Does that mean we should name every suspect, because otherwise we might miss a few guilty ones? From a legal point of view a not guilty verdict is just that, and frankly your post stinks of the "no smoke without fire" mentality that pervades Irish commentary.

bruschi wrote: »
    so what? guilty until proven innocent? ridiculous

no one should have their names released if they are found unanimously not guilty, and especially before any case has been heard.

I agree no names should ever be released unless the person is found guilty but I would be wary of assuming someone who is found innocent was accused in the wrong and then sending the accuser to jail for a false allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Thats exactly what it means, everyone is innocent until they are convicted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It means a court declared him innocent of the charges that were brought against him. The victim should be named and shamed, and the man suing her for defamation.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It means a court declared him innocent of the charges that were brought against him.

But is it right to automatically assume the accuser was lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know how you really can make it anonymous, it is a court of the people after all. I'm sure if it was completely anonymous you'd have people complaining that we don't know if justice is really being done.

I think the newspapers should be held to account for gutter journalism where they publicly condemn people with no facts.

Another thing that would help is fast trials. Waiting 3 years for a court case where the accused is going to be considered guilty until cleared is bul****. The courts in this country move way too slow. The only people that benefit from these prolonged court proceedings is the solicitors and I think they delay it on purpose to increase their own profits. The solicitors are basically like the mob looking to get their cut out of everything that happens in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

I agree no names should ever be released unless the person is found guilty but I would be wary of assuming someone who is found innocent was accused in the wrong and then sending the accuser to jail for a false allegation.

If the accuser is found to be lying, then they should face some sort of punishment.

Accusations of this nature sully a mans good name for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

The alleged rapists name should most definitely remain anonymous until/if proven guilty.

However, just because he is not proven guilty doesn't mean he is innocent, although it should be assumed as such. But for that reason, I don't think the alleged victim should be fined or jailed unless it is proven that it is a false accusation i.e. a confession is given. In that case, very harsh fines or jail sentences are needed in my opinion. False accusations are simply disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

But is it right to automatically assume the accuser was lying?

The jury thinks so, good enough for me. Why shouldn't the ''victim'' be named?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

However, just because he is not proven guilty doesn't mean he is innocent, although it should be assumed as such. But for that reason, I don't think the alleged victim should be fined or jailed unless it is proven that it is a false accusation i.e. a confession is given.
    It would be very hard to get a confession out of someone if they know they're going to go to jail if they confess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

The alleged rapists name should most definitely remain anonymous until/if proven guilty.

However, just because he is not proven guilty doesn't mean he is innocent, although it should be assumed as such. But for that reason, I don't think the alleged victim should be fined or jailed unless it is proven that it is a false accusation i.e. a confession is given. In that case, very harsh fines or jail sentences are needed in my opinion. False accusations are simply disgusting.

So let me get this straight. The man has to prove he isn't guilty THEN prove it was a false accusation?

Well, there's a broken man. I wish him the best of luck in trying to gather his life back together, i wish him the best.

Steve O wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. The man has to prove he isn't guilty THEN prove it was a false accusation?

Yes. If you want to convict somebody of a crime (false accusation) you have to prove it on the available evidence. You can't just assume somebody is guilty of false accusation, any more so than you can assume somebody is guilty of rape. What's so difficult about that to understand?

I was raped and it didn't even get to court. So if it did get to court the men likely would have been found not guilty (seeing as the DPP obviously didn't feel the case was strong enough to get to court in the first place). Does this mean that I should be automatically sent to jail? :confused: You have to prove that the person is making a false accusation, same way you have to prove any other crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

It's a hard one I think. Obviously this man (and others like him) don't deserve to have their lives ruined by someone else's lies.

However, in certain cases the name being released could encourage other victims to come forward and help to build a stronger case. If, for example, one girl accused a guy of sexually assaulting her but there was no evidence or witnesses, it would be a pretty weak case against him and he may not be convicted even though he's guilty. But if in the time before the case came to court another victim came forward because she heard of this, it would obviously be a stronger case and could prevent a potentially dangerous person being let back out on the streets to assault someone else. Although maybe I'm wrong on that?

I do think if someone's found to have been lying that they're should be some criminal charges brought against them. It's such an awful thing to do to someone.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It would be very hard to get a confession out of someone if they know they're going to go to jail if they confess.

I agree. But how else do you prove a false accusation? Basically what I'm saying, confession or not, you have to prove it is a false accusation. This would, I imagine, be very difficult to do, without a confession unless in a obvious example of that there is a clear lack of proximity eg the accused wasn't even in the country at the time of the allegation etc. In cases where its proven, of course there should be punishment for the false accusor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Yes. If you want to convict somebody of a crime (false accusation) you have to prove it on the available evidence. You can't just assume somebody is guilty of false accusation, any more so than you can assume somebody is guilty of rape. What's so difficult about that to understand?

I was raped and it didn't even get to court. So if it did get to court the men likely would have been found not guilty (seeing as the DPP obviously didn't feel the case was strong enough to get to court in the first place). Does this mean that I should be automatically sent to jail? :confused: You have to prove that the person is making a false accusation, same way you have to prove any other crime.

K.

Sorry to hear you went through that, but the guy was proven not guilty unanimously by a jury. He shouldn't need to further prove his innocence.

Your case didnt even make it to court which is a disgrace :(

Steve O wrote: »
    K.

Sorry to hear you went through that, but the guy was proven not guilty unanimously by a jury. He shouldn't need to further prove his innocence.

Your case didnt even make it to court which is a disgrace :(

Your right, he shouldn't. However, the person who brought him to court can't be assumed to be a liar either. My brother is a sex offender, he was found not guilty although I know he is, his victim isn't a liar and has enough to deal with without being branded one. The not guilty in his case was due to a lack of evidence, it didn't mean it didn't happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think people are getting confused.
    He was proven not guilty. His name shouldn't ha e come up in the first place.

But to those who insist she should be jailed for lying, you have to prove she was lying. Sure punish her, if she confessed she made it up. Or if you can prove she was lying and not just a case of insufficient evidence to find him guilty

• Advertisement

What do you think his chances are of suing the media ?

I hope he at least tries.

Advertisement