Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protection of Life in Pregnancy: heads of bill published

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you're making that up as you go, given that you're agreeing with me and contradicting yourself there. They're obligated to legislate for abortion where theres a threat of suicide. Obviously there'd have to be some check in that regard, but its extent is entirely up to the Government.
    Ok you're just missing the point at this stage.

I'm not denying that the 3 doctors rule seems superfluous to constitutional requirements.

The point, however:

Given that the Constitutional position, enshrined in the 8th amendment (Article 40.3.3) is that the test must be, and I quote "...a matter of probability that there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother", then the test applied will inevitably he far more stringent than that required in the UK, where a woman only has to claim an adverse risk to her health.

Therefore, short of a referendum which demolishes Article 40.3.3. of the Constitution, there will always be a more rigorous process to undertake in order to secure an Irish termination.

Most women will simply take the plane - regardless of the 3 doctor rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

rodento wrote: »

It's interesting that you posted a link to that story. There is an account of some of the evidence given at the Coroners inquest into that ladys death here http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-love-you-annas-last-words-28903436.html

Six days before her death, Mrs Byrne and her husband attended an appointment with consultant psychiatrist at the Rotunda, Dr John Sheehan. She told him that she felt "part of her life was missing" because she had no daughter.

"She said that she planned the current pregnancy hoping for a baby daughter but found out at 20 weeks she was having twins and that they were both boys. She said that she was devastated," he said.

Her mood was low, particularly in the evening, and she described a loss of interest and not feeling "maternal".

She told him she felt overwhelmed by the prospect of having four boys but did not express any intention to take her own life, he said.

This raises a question in the context of the current debate - if the proposed legislation had been introduced a couple of years ago and if Anna Byrne had sought an abortion due to her suicidality, which according to the evidence was because of the sex of her unborn babies, would it have been granted under this legislation?

Advertisement