Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sierra working for Eircom?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone know what work Sierra is doing for Eircom? Was offered a job with them and wondering if it's installing in houses or pulling cables through manholes. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

SCarey84 wrote: »
    Anyone know what work Sierra is doing for Eircom? Was offered a job with them and wondering if it's installing in houses or pulling cables through manholes. Thanks.
    Yes they are....KN networks lost the contract not long ago. They are mainly looking for fibre guys. pulling, blowing, splicing, etc, etc.
    TBH if you want to keep your sanity, stay away from Sierra....your better off on the dole.....no job security with them boys......your only a number to them. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Are you sure it's not for home VDSL2 (FTTC) installations rather than anything network-side?

Eircom are going to have to do a heck of a lot of home visits to get VDSL2 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Solair wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not for home VDSL2 (FTTC) installations rather than anything network-side?

Eircom are going to have to do a heck of a lot of home visits to get VDSL2 in.

This is what I'd expect it to be - There's a push for engineers for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

roast wrote: »
    This is what I'd expect it to be - There's a push for engineers for this very reason.

how are they going to push speeds of 50 meg down a Cat 3 cable:confused:

Or am i missing something obvious?

Fair few comments about sierra on boards and very few of them positive, maybe they have changed OP but who knows?

Maybe someone here currently on that very contract may be able to help?

Interested to know myself tbh.

Best of luck anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Yes they are....KN networks lost the contract not long ago. They are mainly looking for fibre guys. pulling, blowing, splicing, etc, etc.
    TBH if you want to keep your sanity, stay away from Sierra....your better off on the dole.....no job security with them boys......your only a number to them. :-/
    KN Networks are still doing work on behalf of Eircom.

• Advertisement

Ziycon wrote: »
    KN Networks are still doing work on behalf of Eircom.

Do you work for them? As per OP- Are Sierra any good to work for do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

thebullkf wrote: »
    how are they going to push speeds of 50 meg down a Cat 3 cable:confused:

Using VDSL2 you can push 70mbit/s down a short single pair (telephone line)
    With vectoring (active management of crosstalk between cables) you can increase that to 100mbit/s.

The speeds drop off the further from the street cabinet you get, but the lines are very short.

Amazing what a bit of R&D, software and electronic engineering jigerypokery can do!

CAT3 has 4 pairs, so in theory with VDSL2+ and vectoring if you'd a short line to the cabinet it would deliver 400mbit/s :)

Real world speeds, based on BT, Belgacom and other networks I've seen would deliver something more like 40-50mbit/s to a lot of houses, which is still a drastic improvement over ADSL. Upload speeds are also much better, which is a big deal for cloud services and home offices and SMEs who use DSL.

Quite an achievement really when you consider we've gone from V.32 modems delivering barely 14.4kbps to 100Mbit/s in a couple of decades.

Solair wrote: »
    Using VDSL2 you can push 70mbit/s down a short single pair (telephone line)
    With vectoring (active management of crosstalk between cables) you can increase that to 100mbit/s.

The speeds drop off the further from the street cabinet you get, but the lines are very short.

Amazing what a bit of R&D, software and electronic engineering jigerypokery can do!

CAT3 has 4 pairs, so in theory with VDSL2+ and vectoring if you'd a short line to the cabinet it would deliver 400mbit/s :)

Real world speeds, based on BT, Belgacom and other networks I've seen would deliver something more like 40-50mbit/s to a lot of houses, which is still a drastic improvement over ADSL. Upload speeds are also much better, which is a big deal for cloud services and home offices and SMEs who use DSL.

Quite an achievement really when you consider we've gone from V.32 modems delivering barely 14.4kbps to 100Mbit/s in a couple of decades.

Well Solair- you learn something new every day.- Thanks for the info:)

Incredible to think one can get those speeds- also how far we've come from the old type 1 IBM cable to Cat5-Cat7, deck repeaters and MMJ etc...even the fibre improvements (though i still know of certain places that use ST connedctions/couplers.)

Now- back to OP- the usual health warnings apply- Sierra have a poor rep here but being a mid-large organisation they can't be all that bad..surely :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thebullkf wrote: »
    Well Solair- you learn something new every day.- Thanks for the info:)

Incredible to think one can get those speeds- also how far we've come from the old type 1 IBM cable to Cat5-Cat7, deck repeaters and MMJ etc...even the fibre improvements (though i still know of certain places that use ST connedctions/couplers.)

Now- back to OP- the usual health warnings apply- Sierra have a poor rep here but being a mid-large organisation they can't be all that bad..surely :confused:

Have a look at the last few pages of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056153749

Advertisement