Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heard a whisper Sierra won sky contract

Options
  • 20-01-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Heard a whisper today and apparently its gospal that sierra has won the sky ireland contract north and south, finlays are out of the picture come april:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wasn't Sierra doing it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

yep, saw an installer in D12 yesterday, sierra van outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

sierra always had the contract for dublin and i believe south east region, but finlays had northern ireland and all other counties mayo, galway donegal etc... sierra has now won the nationwide contract 32 counties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Glad to hear Finlay didn't win it, I had them during my first install and they were a bunch of muppets:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

livEwirE wrote: »
    Glad to hear Finlay didn't win it, I had them during my first install and they were a bunch of muppets:eek:

I had them from the only install I've ever had and I was quite impressed with the guy they sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Donegal Man

livEwirE wrote: »

I dont know who it was (either Sierra or Finlays) but when I got a HD box installed in 2008 about 3 or 4 of them called to the house. They were all in casual wear like they were dressed for a night out :confused: It was rather intimidating tbh four people landing at your house like that.

like every company your going to get the good and bad installers, that sounds dodgy 4 lads turning up it may have been sub-contracted out to a local company:confused: finlays vans have full sky livery on them or else they have the company name on the side of van

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

It's gospel alrite lad, Sierra wouldnt have the man power as of yet so i would imagine that they are goin to be looking for a hell of a lot of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

biffontour wrote: »
    It's gospel alrite lad, Sierra wouldnt have the man power as of yet so i would imagine that they are goin to be looking for a hell of a lot of lads

Another shower of muppets, they should stick to digging holes.

It all come down to price, and the hell with QC, H&S, and proper standards :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

ISAA wrote: »
    Another shower of muppets, they should stick to digging holes

Have to disagree with you there. I had two Polish lads out fitting a new dish and installing Sky+ HD and multiroom in my house recently and their efficiency, manners and helpfulness was much appreciated from this customer.

You shouldn't tar all installers with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ISAA wrote: »
    Another shower of muppets, they should stick to digging holes.

It all come down to price, and the hell with QC, H&S, and proper standards :(
    slightly off topic, but speaking of QC and proper standards, when will you be running a spell-check and grammar check on the ISAA website? It's a bit rich to slagging of others as unprofessional, with grammar and or spelling mistakes on 3 out of the 4 pages I looked at.
    Also, your signature, the images you're trying to display are on your desktop, you should upload these to your website, and point the links on your signature to the website copies of the images.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Had sierra install sky a few years ago, they drilled the hole too small coming into living room and tore the insulation completely off the 2 cables, I pointed it out to them and they wanted to put barrel type connectors on cables. I eventually got them to completely replace cables or else I was going to cancel sky, the moral of the story is to make sure you are on site when they arrive and have the cable route planned and if possible drill all your own access holes.

biffontour wrote: »

most of the finlays installers become sierra employees come april so probably wont be recruiting a whole lot

scaller wrote: »

sorry for double posting i notice most of them threads are from 2005, they must have improved alot since then for sky to take them on, i believe part of the reason they won was that both companies were analysed over a period and those with the best re-call rates to new installs service calls etc... were looked on favourably

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I know a good few Sierra contractors, and they all have told me at different times, they use the cheapest of cable, connectors, bolts, etc, and this is in the last 6 months.

Yes I know some work is excellent, but a lot is rubbish.

I've seen service calls :

No tape at connectors,
    screw on F connectors,
    cheap RG6 coax,
    2 or 3 bolts holding on the sky dish on the wall,
    lose cable across building,
    shortage of tacks,
    water running into customers walls, (No drip loop)

The truth hurts a lot of people, but the above is why we are trying to issue proper standards, for Installations, and H&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I did some contract work for Sierra a few years ago (different department).They had a great time talking about h+s and doing work by the rules until it suited them then it all went out the window and it didn't matter what went on as long as the job was done and they weren't responsible.
    I know some of the guys switched to the satellite division of Sierra and carried on the same practices.They talk the talk but that's it.
    Although in saying that they do have a few decent guys-one put in Sky for a neighbour and did a good job of it-took him long enough as he used harnesses the lot and did the job properly.It's the majority that drag the good guys down.
    A friend of mine had full time work following Sierra installers and fixing up their rubbish work.
    Fair play to setting up some kind of body (ISAA) to regulate this work as accountability seems to be sorely lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vdubber9411

First post for me, so Hi to you all. Had to register because I have'nt got a clue whats going on!!! I'm a subbie for Finlays, I was a direct employee but for personal reasons I left my role a while ago. Sierra have deffinately won the contract for the whole of Ireland, how I don't know. Finlays are'nt that bad of a bunch. H&S, QC, RFT is taken seriously from a checking point, but they pile on the work which I feel has a negative effect on H&S, QC and RFT as engineers especially in the West are expected to do 130+ miles a day and complete excess work loads (this obviously has a negative impact on H&S and Quality) engineers can't be responsible for this, profit takes over with big companies.

Now I've heard that whilst Finlays have been doing everything by the book and been totally open to Sky (as they thought they were guaranteed the contract) Sierra have been faking a bit. One thing I've heard is that they have been closing down jobs even though they have'nt been completed and then completeing at a later stage! Naughty!!!

Sierra's last input on there website was 23/12/10, maybe they have to much on. Maybe Finlays should have been given the Sky contract. Majority are direct employees, own vans, and I think they look after the engineers, could just tweek the mileage and amount of work expectation and it would be a cracking company! Profit just needs to be at the bottom of the list, profit will come anyway.

WHATS GOING ON, NO ONE KNOWS OR IS TELLING AT FINLAYS! THE CONTRACT IS TAKEN OVER IN 4 WEEKS. Apparantly Sierra have been refused credit for vans in ROI as they're in debt, but this is all hearsay. DOES ANYONE KNOW?

Sierra have made no effort to take on extra staff, do they not need any? Maybe they don't want the contract really, can't see this handover taking place in 4 weeks thats for sure.

Sorry for boring you, give me some feedback!

deaglan169 wrote: »
    most of the finlays installers become sierra employees come april so probably wont be recruiting a whole lot

Where did you hear Sierra are taking on Finlays staff? Not what Finlays have been told! Or not what they're telling staff.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lucy1982

Hi everyone .As far as i know Finlays guys will have an option to work for Sierra after 18.04.that is the rumour at sierra anyway.

Might be a good idea for Sierras to start some verbals with Finlays staff with only a month to go! Does the same apply for sub IRS working for Finlays? I've emailed Sierras showing my interest and got nothing back! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Skyman81

Apparently Sierra have started talking to certain engineers (one from each team) and certain subbies in Finlays. They don't want to take on directly employed engineers and can't afford the overheads. As far as finlays staff are concerned they are being employed by Sierra as of 4 weeks but they are leaving it very late to switch over systems and set staff up on payroll etc.

Love to know which engineers on each team they're talking too at Finlays, or is it just Finlays ROI staff that are being left out of the loop. Finlays had a meeting the other day, no Sierra Representative turned up apparantly! Finlays just had a letter from Sierra (a letter?) No communication is taking place, and as both Sierra and Finlays have COMMUNICATION in their title its a pretty poor doo. This handover in 4 weeks has no chance! As the previous thread stated Payroll, contracts etc have to be sorted, not a hope.

I would suggest Sky re-think and use Finlays rather than Sierra! Finlays would have made a much better go of it and had a decent infrastructure in place already.

Come on Sierra COMMUNICATIONS, get COMMUNICATING with Finlay COMMUNICATIONS, its unlikely you'll succeed without them:confused:!

Was engineers from the north I believe, probably easier for Sierra to subcontract out work in the south!

ROI has always been the poor relation!
    Sub-Contract out ROI - It'll do for me! 100+ ROI Finlays engineers need telling quick though, or will they just be expected to join the dole queue? Not on is it! :eek:

Hopefully not but easier for sierra to expand their existing subbie network to cover the south, more difficult in the north as they have no engineers working there! Can't believe Sierra aren't talking to Finlay's, sounds like they've had a falling out.

I was led to believe the contract was given on the pretence that Sky wanted a sole business partner in Ireland and that partner had to have a massive direct emplyee ratio! That won't be the case if Sierra do what you're saying! Maybe Finlays should go back to Sky and fight it out, they would be better suited as I guess 90% of their engineers are directly employed!
    Or maybe it all came down to money! We'll see in a few weeks, it'll all go belly up!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

This is indeed very sad if Sierra have won the full 32 county contract.
    The big difference between the 2 is that if you are with Sierra you, and I quote from the manager keith (forgot what his surname was), "you are only a number here".
    But indeed with Finlays you are an employee and treated like a human being.
    Sierra are indeed so full of bull****. They only do H & S when the inspectors are around. With Sierra it is indeed Profit before Poeple, something like medieval times!

• Advertisement

Profit is always high on the list with any company, but certain things must come first, shall I name them - H&S, EMPLOYEES, CUSTOMERS! We'll see what happens! I have no doubt it won't stop here, Sierra have won at this stage, but something may well still be done, smells fishy!!!! Get Communicating, rumours are going mad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement