Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU law propsal to ban all traditional vegetable varieties unless liceenced

Options
  • 30-04-2013 11:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is really quite startling and sad. The might of industry is flexing its muscles and looking to gain full control of the seed market.

This page is well worth a read and how you can influence the outcome.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

I mailed Maire Geoghegan-Quinn last week to find out her stance on this. Still no response. One thing about this, if it does go through, they'll never be able to enforce it. But it's still saddening to see a law like this being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why the seed industry can't have their registered seeds and leave everyone else do what they've always done (even if traditional seed has to be labeled as unregistered) .... Then people could pay their money and take their choice ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

SligoEdo wrote: »
    I mailed Maire Geoghegan-Quinn last week to find out her stance on this. Still no response. One thing about this, if it does go through, they'll never be able to enforce it. But it's still saddening to see a law like this being discussed.

They've already enforced a similar ban on seeds of many food plants; while there is an underground trade, the diversity available to the ordinary buyer has crashed, because it costs more than most small plant growers can afford to license seeds for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This is really quite startling and sad. The might of industry is flexing its muscles and looking to gain full control of the seed market.

This page is well worth a read and how you can influence the outcome.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

This is the horses**t behaviour that makes people anti-EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

This will be disgusting if it passes, the vote is on Monday I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

SligoEdo wrote: »

Same here, no response from her office either.

Advertisement