Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rethinking the school run

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

I'm old enough to remember a time when I and the vast majority of school children my age walked or cycled to school. Others would have taken a school bus, particularly in rural areas.

The school run traffic levels are now at the point where we should be thinking of viable alternatives. How can we encourage this generation of kids to take themselves to school or is it us parents who need to re-educated?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two things need to be done

1: The ridiculous weight of schoolbags these days needs to be sorted first, as its often actually not safe to carry all the required equipment. Even towards the end of my school days, it was getting ridiculous and when added to the need to carry sports kit and drawing boards for engineering, etc, I drove (myself, so only 2 rather than 4 journeys at least) most days, and from what I've seen they only have more, larger books now. Main bag weighed over 10kg on its own and one point :eek:

2: Parents need to stop giving in to whines about the walk, once its known to be safe from a weight and traffic perspective. In most cases it is safe from a traffic perspective already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I still see many kids (usually older) walking to and from school (I live just off a street with three major schools), however you are correct the whole school thing has gotten out of hand and I believe will have a negative effect in the long run on the health of our children.

I'm not sure much can be done about this. Educating parents might help a little.

One idea I've seen used in the US, is walking groups, an adult (parent or teacher) who walks to the school and picks up kids on the route to the school. Reduces concerns about abductions, etc.

Another idea, is have schools start earlier, e.g. 8am, so at least the school run doesn't interfere with rush hour. Would allow for better use of public transport too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good point about the weight of bags.

In this day and age of iPads and ereaders, there should be no need for so many heavy books.

Also schools should offer more storage space for gym equipment, etc.

However as a hiker, I will say 10kg is not a problem if you use the right type of bag. I often hike 30km with a 10kg bag, no problem. But then that is a proper hiking bag with a frame, padded waist straps, etc. The sorry excuses for back breaking school bags I normally see being used should really be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

The problem with the school run is that not only is it contributing to overall traffic, but to gross congestion and blockages around the schools themselves. School run parents seem to believe that normal traffic and parking rules do not apply to people with children and park in cycle lanes and on pavements, thus making it more dangerous for those who HAVE chosen to walk or cycle to school.

I can accept that car transport in rural areas is necessary, but cities such as Dublin and Cork have enough of a bus network that there should be no need for this.

I spent some time in Berlin earlier this month, including traveling in suburbs and fringe villages, and one thing that really stood out for me was how many unaccompanied YOUNG children seemed to be happily and safely using buses and trains. I'm not good at judging the age of children, but it seemed to me that there were many under 10 using transit on their own, and the atmosphere seemed to be safe for them to do so. Sadly I feel that would not work over here due to the general level of antisocial behaviour tolerated on our networks.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bk wrote: »
    One idea I've seen used in the US, is walking groups, an adult (parent or teacher) who walks to the school and picks up kids on the route to the school. Reduces concerns about abductions, etc.
    The biggest safety risk to school children is other school children.

• Advertisement

In fairness in Cork, I use to always use the bus (BE city) going to school and the drivers were always very nice and kept an eye out for us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bk wrote: »

However as a hiker, I will say 10kg is not a problem if you use the right type of bag. I often hike 30km with a 10kg bag, no problem. But then that is a proper hiking bag with a frame, padded waist straps, etc. The sorry excuses for back breaking school bags I normally see being used should really be banned.

We were specifically disallowed from having 'large' schoolbags. Even my skateboarding one got queried at times. But then again the principal was an authoritarian FGer...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The trouble is though a lot of students are incredibly lazy and don't want to walk to school, for example round by where I live the school is about 5 minutes walk from here, but all of the kids around here get driven to the school that I can see with my own eyes about 2 minutes after leaving the house in a pretty quiet area.

The parents however drive them to school every morning and there will be upwards of around 40 cars all queuing to get to the school gates in long tailbacks, despite the fact the vast majority of those cars are coming from houses in no more than 10 minutes walking distance from the school at the very most.

The parents then complain that there is no room there to park and their child arrives at school late since it took them that long to get to school because of the traffic from other parents and therefore the local authorities should provide more car parking space, which is a complete red herring.

When I was a kid I lived about 20-25 minutes away from school and walked it every day and evening and never complained once and the vast majority of people in my school were very much the same. I wouldn't dream of asking my parents for a lift, they'd tell me not to be so lazy.

But it seems the kids of today expect to be ferried around all of the time by mum and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what is better use of the road,? a car with driver (who may anyway be on way to work) with maybe 4 children in it or a single occupancy car with a Commuter?

I would bet that in a lot of the second instance, there will be parallel public transport whereas few school journeys are on radial routes with buses/trains.,

Lets get them all on public transport or bikes.

devnull wrote: »
    But it seems the kids of today expect to be ferried around all of the time by mum and dad.
    I think that is unfair to the children - the problem is with the parents. If the children had to walk and didn't know any different, then they would walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe this will seem harsh but I think that if the Gardai clamped down heavily on the stupid, illegal and reckless driving and parking that goes on outside schools, a lot of parents would suddenly think it would be easier if their child walked or took public transport to school. If they could no longer drive right up to the gate, park completely across the footpath and block the traffic, it might not be something they're keen on.

MYOB wrote: »
    We were specifically disallowed from having 'large' schoolbags. Even my skateboarding one got queried at times. But then again the principal was an authoritarian FGer...

Well that is just crazy, specially if they are specially designed bags to help your bag. I'd rage at any principal who forced my child to carry an inadequate.

However having said that, hiking bags don't have to be large, you can get day hiking bags, with many of the normal hiking features (frame, waist straps, etc.) but in a standard and sometimes even quiet streamlined size.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe this will seem harsh but I think that if the Gardai clamped down heavily on the stupid, illegal and reckless driving and parking that goes on outside schools, a lot of parents would suddenly think it would be easier if their child walked or took public transport to school. If they could no longer drive right up to the gate, park completely across the footpath and block the traffic, it might not be something they're keen on.

I know a couple of parents who will not allow their children to walk to school because of this kind of parking, so that adds more cars to the problem, rather than actually solving it, which is too many cars in the first place.

I also know that I can walk to the school in about half the time my neighbors are driving their kids to the school. But they still drive them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Green schools travel are doing a lot on this. Posting from tablet so find it difficult to post links but there are reports available on progress, challenges etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I've heard of some schools making it mandatory for students to wear helmets to and from school if they're cycling. Schools are actually making cycling look like a dangerous activity by making such safety equipment a requirement. This in turn won't help change the parents attitude who will think that their little Johnny will be safer in the SUV than on a bicycle to school.

back in the good aul days Somedays I cycled to secondary school, on lazy days I took the bus. One thing is for sure, none of the students would have cycled if they had to have worn helmets. Being a working class school, helmets were simply uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

Typical, its kids who are driven to school being told to walk or cycle or use public transport.Although nothing is ever said about adults who could easily walk or cycle to work but instead drive or the ones who normally have a bus or train which would drop them right outside work and yet they still drive to work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

Joshycat wrote: »
    Typical, its kids who are driven to school being told to walk or cycle or use public transport.Although nothing is ever said about adults who could easily walk or cycle to work but instead drive or the ones who normally have a bus or train which would drop them right outside work and yet they still drive to work....

Perhaps if kids were still able to walk to school and have unstructured time to themselves then they would grow up quicker and be more self reliant. Just a thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I recently got attacked on a different thread for suggesting 5km as a ballpark figure for a workable cycling distance. It's about a 20-25 minute cycle.

But to stick with that theme. Census 2006 provided figures for distance from school for secondary students around the country. Here is a league table for towns, listed by the percentage of students living within 5km of school.
    • Roscommon - 80.46%
    • Wexford - 76.25%
    • Dunboyne - 75.75%
    • Maynooth - 75.31%
    • Birr - 73.80%
    • Gorey - 73.41%
    • Bandon - 72.45%
    • Tipperary - 72.43%
    • Mallow - 72.18%
    • Monaghan - 71.78%
    • Ashbourne - 71.43%
    • Portmarnock - 70.99%
    • Thurles - 70.73%
    • Dungarvan - 70.71%
    • Edenderry - 70.68%
    • Shannon - 70.64%
    • Tuam - 70.53%
    • Ennis - 70.14%
    • Castlebar - 69.69%
    • Newcastle West - 69.40%
    • Ceannanus Mór - 69.36%
    • Tramore - 69.30%
    • Fermoy - 69.19%
    • Kilkenny - 69.05%
    • Carlow - 68.56%
    • Buncrana - 67.97%
    • Nenagh - 67.73%
    • Enniscorthy - 67.35%
    • Naas - 66.98%
    • Wicklow - 66.94%
    • Sligo - 66.27%
    • Midleton - 66.25%
    • Youghal - 66.23%
    • Droichead Nua - 66.17%
    • Arklow - 66.08%
    • Leixlip - 66.07%
    • Ballina - 65.84%
    • Carrick-on-Suir - 65.44%
    • Trim - 65.35%
    • Athy - 65.07%
    • Tralee - 64.76%
    • Clonmel - 64.68%
    • Westport - 63.03%
    • Waterford City - 62.93%
    • Limerick City - 62.43%
    • Celbridge - 61.75%
    • Tullamore - 60.78%
    • Letterkenny - 60.56%
    • Cobh - 60.27%
    • Cavan - 60.09%
    • Navan (An Uaimh) - 59.85%
    • New Ross - 59.68%
    • Mullingar - 59.64%
    • Bray - 58.73%
    • Drogheda - 58.13%
    • Carrigaline - 56.47%
    • Galway City - 56.30%
    • Athlone - 56.29%
    • Dundalk - 55.71%
    • Portarlington - 54.83%
    • Killarney - 54.76%
    • Cork City - 54.76%
    • Skerries - 54.51%
    • Longford - 53.86%
    • Greater Dublin Area - 52.91%
    • Swords - 52.67%
    • Ballinasloe - 51.51%
    • Balbriggan - 51.37%
    • Kildare - 49.63%
    • Malahide - 48.75%
    • Passage West - 45.30%
    • Rush - 42.39%
    • Portlaoighise - 40.84%
    • Greystones - 23.55%
    • Ratoath - 13.04%
    • Laytown-Bettystown-Mornington - 6.26%
    • Lusk - 5.47%
    • Donabate - 4.00%

Source: Table 44. Students, males and females aged between 13 and 18 years usually resident in the State and present in their usual residence on Census Night, distinguishing towns of 5,000 population and over, classified by distance travelled to school or college, 2006

Provision of secure-ish, covered* cycle parking facilities should be expedited towards the top of that list post haste.

Ironically enough my primary school - built in 1943 - had covered cycle parking because it was extremely common for primary school boys from the surrounding hinterland (the town was tiny then) to cycle in, but my secondary school - built in 1971 and extended 4 times between then and when I left, in a very large town - had nothing at all built at any of its construction times. Times changed a LOT.

*this was a major disincentive to cycling, which I did until it became impractical due to the amount of crap to carry. OK to do the ~8min cycle in the rain, but a hell of a lot nastier to come out and get your arse soaked before said cycle.

MYOB wrote: »
    OK to do the ~8min cycle in the rain, but a hell of a lot nastier to come out and get your arse soaked before said cycle.

My life would be hell without this piece of kit :)http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/maintenance+products/Rain+Cover/

Around six months of using it, it's yet to be robbed from any bike rank I've used in Dublin.

• Advertisement

• Ratoath - 13.04%
    • Laytown-Bettystown-Mornington - 6.26%
    • Lusk - 5.47%
    • Donabate - 4.00%
    One can understand why these towns have such low percentages - the towns are growing rapidly and haven't had secondary schools until now - I think the one in Donabate opened in 2011-2012. I imagine the small percentages present will account primarily for children who were coming to an end of primary school, but were 13 by April 2011 when the census was done.
    • Wexford - 76.25%
    • Birr - 73.80%
    • Tipperary - 72.43%
    • Thurles - 70.73%
    • Dungarvan - 70.71%
    • Castlebar - 69.69%
    • Newcastle West - 69.40%
    • Nenagh - 67.73%
    • Sligo - 66.27%
    • Ballina - 65.84%
    • Carrick-on-Suir - 65.44%
    • Tralee - 64.76%
    • Clonmel - 64.68%
    • Westport - 63.03%
    • Waterford City - 62.93%
    • Limerick City - 62.43%
    • Letterkenny - 60.56%
    • Galway City - 56.30%
    • Killarney - 54.76%
    • Cork City - 54.76%
    • Greater Dublin Area - 52.91%
    • Ballinasloe - 51.51%
    But for this list, one really has to wonder why 35-50% of the children attend a school not in the town (or indeed city) / more than 5km away - understandable in fast growing towns, but not established ones.

Victor wrote: »
    But for this list, one really has to wonder why 35-50% of the children attend a school not in the town (or indeed city) / more than 5km away - understandable in fast growing towns, but not established ones.

Indeed, I'm actually shocked by the Dublin figures.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Green Schools seem to be doing a lot of good work on this issue: http://www.greenschoolsireland.org/

Sadly, however, they are likely compelled to follow RSA pushing of helmets and high-vis.

Generally, some of the danger may not be real but, for walking, many crossing in towns and cities are just about usable for adults nevermind children (design and driver/cyclist behavour issues), and for cycling our roads are no longer designed for cycling and attempts to correct that in many places has made the problem worse.

Here's a question: Has there been a single safety audit done on an Irish road project with young school children on bicycles as a footpath user? In both Dublin and Ballina that's nearly the only place when I see them cycling (bar on roads in estates, and inner city children who cycle everywhere and in every direction).

The parking problem is also a major problem in places on the way to schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

We have made some attempts in recent years to provide dedicated cycle paths in new road schemes but there is still a long way to go before there's a critical mass of safe cycle paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

We have made some attempts in recent years to provide dedicated cycle paths in new road schemes but there is still a long way to go before there's a critical mass of safe cycle paths.

Unfortunately a lot of the surfaces leave a lot to be desired, as discussed at length in the cycling forum.

There is goodwill though to create safe cycling routes to schools, Celbridge is a case in point. Ultimately both schools and parents will have to recognise that having their children making their own way to school safely is a worthwhile thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BenShermin wrote: »
    I've heard of some schools making it mandatory for students to wear helmets to and from school if they're cycling. Schools are actually making cycling look like a dangerous activity by making such safety equipment a requirement. This in turn won't help change the parents attitude who will think that their little Johnny will be safer in the SUV than on a bicycle to school.

back in the good aul days Somedays I cycled to secondary school, on lazy days I took the bus. One thing is for sure, none of the students would have cycled if they had to have worn helmets. Being a working class school, helmets were simply uncool.
    THank god times have changed and wearing a cycling helmet is no longer likely to get a child beaten up:)

A lot of it is down to snobbery and parents sending their children to what is considered a better school even if it is miles from were they live, St Wolstans school in Celbridge has students from Maynooth straffan, Clane, Prosperous, even some from Edenderry just because it is seen as a better school.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to snobbery and parents sending their children to what is considered a better school even if it is miles from were they live, St Wolstans school in Celbridge has students from Maynooth straffan, Clane, Prosperous, even some from Edenderry just because it is seen as a better school.

I could make very unflattering comments about how it's seen by nonparents here...

Capacity issues have mostly ended school selection in this area and pending rules banning familial history selection will likely kill it dead

For anywhere bar close suburbs of cities, hinterlands distort the figures. Maynooth PP serves a vast area of rural south Meath and some kildare villages which are all over 5 km away from the school, which itself is positioned well to one side of the town and planning on moving further out. Even very large provincial towns would match this

What I don't understand is how the traffic is so badly affected by school runs. The M1 Southbound from junction 4 is completely different depending on whether or not the schools are in and I just have to wonder how many people are not only sending their kids to a school that far away and then spending 1-2 hours a day driving them there and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

From age 7 I walked 1 mile home from school every day. It was along a main road without having to cross. I also passed another school on the way so there were plenty of parents and kids so it was safe.
    Never did me any harm. Now the school has a rule that all under 10s have to be collected!

Advertisement