Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone return back to Ireland from abroad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

I returned at Christmas, but unfortunately the country's not fixed yet, so I had to wave the mammy goodbye again in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I came back in September despite the warnings from my friends and regret it somewhat. I like being back for my friends and family but the work situation is desperate. Still deliberating leaving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

I returned in 2007, bought the house, got the car an the job. Hated every minute of it until I figured that ireland is a great place to live but not to work. Would I leave? Too right of it I'd go again abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Larry Murphy was in Amsterdam...

...now he's under your bed waiting for the lights to go out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

many from America went back then went back to America again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

There was an article a few weeks ago in the Irish Times. I says 100,000 emigrants have returned home since 2008.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2013/03/29/coming-home-the-big-decision-for-emigrants/

Has anyone here returned and how did you find adjusting? Did you settle back on or want to leave again?

Well I left Ireland from 1990 to 1992. Myself and my husband left for two years. We never settled in Ireland after our experience. Adjusting back to Ireland was difficult. Very difficult.

The only reason we are in Ireland is because of our son - we want him to have an experience similar to us growing up. He's got 3 years left in secondary school and when he's completed that we will go abroad again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Yes I came back to drone on about how much I learned while travelling, and how it opened my mind, and tell people about the amazing experiences I had and how things are so much better abroad, and how Irish people can be soooo close-minded.

Of course I actually just spent 2 years drinking the hoop out of it with my GAA jersey on in a Irish bar in Sydney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm lucky to be in a position where i can dodge the visa system completely (canada),so i'm always back and forward.I can't start to imagine how a person on a WHV in canada feels returning here without an opportunity of flying back out to the country they've come from.Not so much that Ireland is a shithole or anything,just more so the restraint in knowing you can't get another one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Yes I came back to drone on about how much I learned while travelling, and how it opened my mind, and tell people about the amazing experiences I had and how things are so much better abroad, and how Irish people can be soooo close-minded.

Of course I actually just spent 2 years drinking the hoop out of it with my GAA jersey on in a Irish bar in Sydney.

oh hi typical boards attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Spent 11 years in the UK, you know like, working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Aineoil wrote: »
    Well I left Ireland from 1990 to 1992. Myself and my husband left for two years. We never settled in Ireland after our experience. Adjusting back to Ireland was difficult. Very difficult.

The only reason we are in Ireland is because of our son - we want him to have an experience similar to us growing up. He's got 3 years left in secondary school and when he's completed that we will go abroad again.
    Damn right too. Why should he escape unscathed when you had to endure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I returned at Christmas, but unfortunately the country's not fixed yet, so I had to wave the mammy goodbye again in early January.

If your not part of the solution your part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

ted1 wrote: »

Well, I'm an English teacher, so I can see from your post that the country's clearly needing me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Spent 11 years in the UK, you know like, working.

What you telling me for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Returned home late last year after living in the US for a while. Sadly I'm off again come this time 3 weeks. Just no opportunities here anymore. It's sad as I will have to leave my family and friends once again. Sadly I don't really have any other option

Well I can understand that being English you can't teach in Irish primary schools as you wouldn't have Irish language.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

I take a holiday about every 3 months, so yes I return to Ireland from abroad several times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

There was an article a few weeks ago in the Irish Times. I says 100,000 emigrants have returned home since 2008.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2013/03/29/coming-home-the-big-decision-for-emigrants/

Has anyone here returned and how did you find adjusting? Did you settle back on or want to leave again?

I did! Lived abroad from mid 2008 until June last year. Was dying to get home and every day I'm grateful that I am. We're better off here than where we were (new Zealand) and I've noticed I'm just a lot happier in general. No intention of leaving again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

ted1 wrote: »
    What's your part of the problem? I bagsie selling off the ESB. I will do it for a 1% comission. I have a white cat I can stroke while conducting negotiations and am very good at putting my pinkie up to my lips in a cunning fashion..

I'd say lower property prices are drawing people back. Has to be some logical explanation for it. It can't be the weather and excellent career prospects.

What's your part of the problem? I bagsie selling off the ESB. I will do it for a 1% comission. I have a white cat I can stroke while conducting negotiations and am very good at putting my pinkie up to my lips in a cunning fashion..
    You've lost me.....
    ESB are profitable I'd keep them especially as the country would be held at ransom if a private company controlled the ELectric Ireland's Assets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Came home in February 2012 after a year and a half working abroad (Kenya & Haiti). Found a job within two months in Dublin and been happy since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lived in London since 2008 and returned to Dublin last May. I found it fine settling back in and my family were delighted to get to know my baby daughter who was born over in London. Honestly though, apart from the benefits of having family around, I would rather be living in London!

We will be leaving again in a couple of months to go to the US. It will be harder moving away this time seeing as I will also be taking my daughter away from her grandparents and extended family but there really isn't much work here in my partners industry and he has been offered a good job over there so we decided to go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

con1421 wrote: »
    Returned home late last year after living in the US for a while. Sadly I'm off again come this time 3 weeks. Just no opportunities here anymore. It's sad as I will have to leave my family and friends once again. Sadly I don't really have any other option

The official unemployment rate in the US is 7.6% which I understand to be people actively seeking work. Our friends from Iran put the rate at more like 14%.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/04/09/297381/us-unemployment-rate-really-143/

Can you get a job when millions of Americans citizens can't? And as for opportunities here there are thousands arriving from abroad for work every year so there must be some opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Probably coming back in July/August. I'm not exactly confident I'll be sticking around for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

The official unemployment rate in the US is 7.6% which I understand to be people actively seeking work. Our friends from Iran put the rate at more like 14%.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/04/09/297381/us-unemployment-rate-really-143/

Can you get a job when millions of Americans citizens can't? And as for opportunities here there are thousands arriving from abroad for work every year so there must be some opportunities.

The official unemployment rate in Ireland is currently around 14.6%. Obviously there are opportunities here in Ireland but if those unemployment figures are anything to go by the competition for those opportunities is almost twice as bad here as in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Came back a load of times. This time im staying away from Ireland for at least ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

When I was 6 my parents brought me back to Ireland after living for 4 years as a child in the US, will probably go back to there or Canada once I get my degree

About two and a half years now in Asia and will probably visit home for a bit next Summer.. I'll enjoy it for two weeks but almost everyone has left. For me, I've no real interest in moving back because the only work I'd have a chance at getting is degree-related work which I don't want to do at the moment. And I've been in a relationship with a girl here for 15 months and I don't fancy leaving her for anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

So your just a dick then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Would anyone here be interested in putting their coming home experiences into a short post for blog I write? Would love to be able to share your experiences with others who are thinking of coming back.

Advertisement