Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK TV Apps Samsung Smart TV Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

Is anyone having problems since the app updated to All 4? I had 4od working no problems at all for months now but as soon as it changed to All 4 I'm having problems with it, it just stopping playing. I will be watching something and it goes to the break and that's it...it just stops with a spinning circle on screen and never moves on. Its not speed issues thats causing it.
    A few weeks ago I did set my Samsung TV to point to the UK App store, and I got the "All 4" app (I never had the old 4od app before).

I experienced problems like you describe. Shows would cut out half way through (typically after an ad break) or would not start at all. Sometimes I would have a message in the middle of the screen telling me that the "Requested content is not available in your area" - which I thought odd at the time since I was watching said content, albeit with a naggy message in the middle of the screen.

I guess they have started to perform a certain amount of geoblocking on their assets (the streaming content), and perhaps it isn't universal across them all. It could be that the servers have to be upgraded for this, and they haven't done them all yet, or it could be some kind of a courtesy to any grey subscribers (such as me or yourself) using the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is anyone having problems since the app updated to All 4? I had 4od working no problems at all for months now but as soon as it changed to All 4 I'm having problems with it, it just stopping playing. I will be watching something and it goes to the break and that's it...it just stops with a spinning circle on screen and never moves on. Its not speed issues thats causing it.

How'd you get all4 working with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

duploelabs wrote: »
    How'd you get all4 working with it?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Any one know how to get around geo blocking, VPN or some such service?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looking for info on this, and I was told about setting up a develop account (not developer) and adding TV channels that way,

anyone have experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Power city are advertising Samsung model UE40H6500STXXU,it says Saorview and satellite, does anybody know if the satellite is Freesat or FTA and is this model Irish, as in will the apps be RTE Player and TV3 player instead of the UK Tv apps ? Any info would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi Folks,

This is sort of related to this thread - Am planning on buying a smart tv, all websites show "Irish Digital TV" i.e Saorview compatible. I already have the dual saorview/freeview box installed but I was wondering if anyone has been able to tune in freeview directly from their Smart TV? I will probably be going for a Samsung, LG, or Panasonic

Thanks

Hi Folks,

This is sort of related to this thread - Am planning on buying a smart tv, all websites show "Irish Digital TV" i.e Saorview compatible. I already have the dual saorview/freeview box installed but I was wondering if anyone has been able to tune in freeview directly from their Smart TV? I will probably be going for a Samsung, LG, or Panasonic

Thanks

Hi, my Samsung tunes in saorview, freeview hd and freesat hd and has two connections at the back of the TV - one for the aerial(saorive) and one for the dish(both freeview and freesat) - so I could get rid of the box altogether! What you need to be looking for when buying the TV if what type of tuners that have and this will tell you if you can or cant tune in freeview and then also whether you want freesat as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi, my Samsung tunes in saorview, freeview hd and freesat hd and has two connections at the back of the TV - one for the aerial(saorive) and one for the dish(both freeview and freesat) - so I could get rid of the box altogether! What you need to be looking for when buying the TV if what type of tuners that have and this will tell you if you can or cant tune in freeview and then also whether you want freesat as an option?

music to my ears. 1 less remote control to deal with!

I'll keep an eye out for the dual connection when tv shopping then. Can I ask what model of Samsung you have?

music to my ears. 1 less remote control to deal with!

I'll keep an eye out for the dual connection when tv shopping then. Can I ask what model of Samsung you have?

Yes, having one remote is great. I've seen posts where some people aren't happy that its takes a few button clicks to switch modes - between Saorview and Freesat but to be honest that doesn't bother me at all and is a samll price to pay for getting rid of a box and another remote! Its a F8000 series which is not available anymore, I bought it about a year ago. I've been looking myself for another Samsung for my bedroom with similar tuners and I have noticed that they got rid of the Freesat tuner on models smaller than 32" and a 40" would be just too big for the bedroom. I don't know what size you are looking for, but now only 40"+ have the Freesat HD tuner along with the Freeview Tuner - I find the Freesat is the one I use as any station frequency changes are automatic so update without a retune, also you can series link for recording which I'm not sure you can with Freeveiw - must check this on my own TV.

• Advertisement

paddylonglegs I checked the FTA V's Freesat on my TV and Freesat has 7 days epg and you can series link, while FTA only has now and next so if you are interested in recording anything on your TV I would definitely recommend getting a model that has a Freesat Tuner, so you need to be looking out for DVB-S2 (which is HD) in the spec of whatever TV you are buying

As mentioned by dubrov below, its not Freeview I should be referenceing, but FTA is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just to add DVB-S2 is required to view satellite channels but doesn't guarantee Freesat.
    Make sure Freesat is in the specs if you want 7 day EPG for the satellite channels.

Freeview is the UK terrestrial service so you'd need to be close to the border to pick up these channels with an aerial.
    I believe Freeview HD TVs have the required tuner (DVB-T2) to pick up Saorview in ROI.

If you go for a TV than can handle Freeview HD and Freesat HD, you should be covered for free TV.

I've just bough the Samsung 40H6500 series. It's got terrestrial and satellite tuners. You have the option of Saorview ( 7 day EPG ) and Freesat (7 day EPG ) combined, but to do this you must set country code to UK and enter a UK postcode. This puts the Saorview channels in the 800's, but easy to re number to 1, 2 , 3 etc. With this option, you can record and series link Freesat channels, but you can only record Saorview , no series link on Saorview as 2RN knobbled series link on non Saorview approved gear some time ago. Still a great TV though, having the RTE, TV3 and TG4 players on it, is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Is it possible to download showbox,Mobdro to the samsung smart tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

galtee boy wrote: »
    I've just bough the Samsung 40H6500 series. It's got terrestrial and satellite tuners. You have the option of Saorview ( 7 day EPG ) and Freesat (7 day EPG ) combined, but to do this you must set country code to UK and enter a UK postcode. This puts the Saorview channels in the 800's, but easy to re number to 1, 2 , 3 etc. With this option, you can record and series link Freesat channels, but you can only record Saorview , no series link on Saorview as 2RN knobbled series link on non Saorview approved gear some time ago. Still a great TV though, having the RTE, TV3 and TG4 players on it, is very handy.

I am thinking of buying this TV, where did you pick it up? what was the price? and how is the sound?

Davexirl wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying this TV, where did you pick it up? what was the price? and how is the sound?

Power City, €599 . The sound is surprisingly good, considering how thin the tv is. I'm very happy with it, just to beef it up, I might get one of those surround sound soundbars, but a good one of those would cost almost as much as the tv ! In the meantime, the sound is fine, not at all " tinny".

When you say combined do you mean you managed to get them on the one channel list on this TV, or do you have to switch mode between Saorview and Freesat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Power City, €599 . The sound is surprisingly good, considering how thin the tv is. I'm very happy with it, just to beef it up, I might get one of those surround sound soundbars, but a good one of those would cost almost as much as the tv ! In the meantime, the sound is fine, not at all " tinny".

I recently picked up the H6400, same as the H6500 with the only difference being the 6500 has dual tuners and the 6400 just having whatever is needed for Saorview. I too was impressed by the sound from the tv, much better than the old LCD it replaced which was the old style with two full length speakers down either side.

Has anyone got round the cinevia audio muting that occurs, I seem to get it even if I'm watching Netflix (which is a fully paid up account with no proxy)

Has anyone got round the cinevia audio muting that occurs, I seem to get it even if I'm watching Netflix (which is a fully paid up account with no proxy)

I have never experience this at all to be honest!

• Advertisement

Has anyone else noticed problems with the RTE app on their Samsung TV?! I've just noticed in recent weeks that it doesn't have the same/full content that is available on my phone app or through the RTE player online. Can someone check out their TV app for me please and see if this is the same for them.....for example Marvel's Agent Carter and Elementary aren't available through the TV app but I can get these on the online player and on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Cinavia is only part of Blu-ray standard it should not be present in a standalone TV.

If you are using it via Samsung BD player I would switch to something else to run Netflix.

It's surprising and not surprising at the same time to hear Cinavia interfering, Cinavia is designed to stop network streaming of media however legit services like Netflix should be exempt.

Certainly platforms like Playstation and Xbox which are BD players with Cinavia and have Netflix do not have this problem so it seems like a Samsung over sight.

As to RTE Player most likely a half assed job with the app, someone isnt paying attention to the Samsung app.

I contacted RTE about this and I got a very prompt if unsatisfactory reply from them, so unfortunately there are rights issues with some shows and hence they won't be available through the Samsung TV app...see reply below:

"While most RTÉ Player content can be accessed through the Samsung Smart TV app, some programmes may not be available due to rights restrictions. This includes some programmes such as Agent Carter and Elementary."

Has anyone else noticed problems with the RTE app on their Samsung TV?! I've just noticed in recent weeks that it doesn't have the same/full content that is available on my phone app or through the RTE player online. Can someone check out their TV app for me please and see if this is the same for them.....for example Marvel's Agent Carter and Elementary aren't available through the TV app but I can get these on the online player and on my phone.

The won't show champions league on their smart enabled boxes/tvs but will on their mobile sites

catfax wrote: »
    Cinavia is only part of Blu-ray standard it should not be present in a standalone TV.

If you are using it via Samsung BD player I would switch to something else to run Netflix.

It's surprising and not surprising at the same time to hear Cinavia interfering, Cinavia is designed to stop network streaming of media however legit services like Netflix should be exempt.

Certainly platforms like Playstation and Xbox which are BD players with Cinavia and have Netflix do not have this problem so it seems like a Samsung over sight.

As to RTE Player most likely a half assed job with the app, someone isnt paying attention to the Samsung app.
    Sorry, i should've clarified, it's a smart blu-ray player I use

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nelsondyy

Snipped by Moderator

Welcome to Boards.

Please read the stickey at the top of the form about addons and obtaining subscription services without paying for them. For your first post on Boards you resurrected a thread from a year and a half ago to post about something that is unwelcome here. Please read the Boards FAQ and any stickeys at the top of forums, particularly ones that say "read before posting" before you post on Boards again. I'm applying the benefit of the doubt for a newcomer but if you post like this again on the home entertainment forums you'll earn a lengthy ban.

Ritz.

Advertisement