Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need HELP with building a custom Pc

Options
  • 26-04-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys. I'm a multimedia student in college and I'm looking to invest in a P.C.
    The majority of my work is done on Adobe software such as Photoshop and Premiere etc. I'd like to go into PC gaming as well. If anyone could post a list of parts I could buy with a budget of 800-2,000 or have any suggestions as to where to go and what to get I'd really appreciate it :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

800-2000 is such a massive variance, it would be easier for us if you could decide how much you really want to spend. You can get something decent for 800 or top of the range for 2k

Also fill this out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

if you are building this with the intention of using it for premiere pro editing then i would wait it out till we get benchmarks for the new suite's openCL performance. the programs will have support for amd cards in the next suite but we dont have a clear idea of how they will perform yet. should have a better idea when PP CS7 drops, which should be within a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PuttyPutty

1. What is your budget? [€2000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming -Skyrim, Hitman, Command and Conquer/3D Modelling
    /Adobe Software Suites]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Plan on using my 32inch T.V. via HDMI but if a monitor would be better suited than yes. ]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [The near future]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Kerry]

Could anyone tell me the benefits of Flash memory over RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

RAM is a type of flash memory. Also, if possible, I'd try and use an ethernet cable for internet access. WiFi is pretty horrible in comparison. As for your build:

Item|Price
    Nanoxia Deep Silence One Silver, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€93.59
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€207.02
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i|€104.28
    2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Lüfter 1150 rpm|€24.42
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€124.94
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€49.23
    be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E9-CM-680W 80+Gold|€122.27
    2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€728.68
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB SATA 6Gb/s|€201.26
    WD Red RD1000S 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB|€133.34
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1808.02

I've given you an overclockable CPU and motherboard as well as a very good cooler. I know you said you don't want to, but really, it's extremely easy with these processors, and it's only about €40 more (not including the cooler) so it's a sin not to include them at least. You've also got a big SSD in there, as well as two GTX 670s, which should provide more than enough power for anything this year, and probably well into next year as well (I'm talking completely maxed out here).

Here is an alternative build.
    Adobe Premiere and after effects will make use of the i7 and 32gb of ram. I think a monitor is essential when doing any kind of editing. I have used a 32 inch tv to edit video and it gives me a headache.

Item|Price
    32GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10|€233.09
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB SATA 6Gb/s|€201.26
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€471.45
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€112.34
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€57.29
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.64
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA|€16.56
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€66.14
    Intel Core i7-3770 Box, LGA1155|€266.76
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (schwarz)|€263.11
    Nanoxia Deep Silence One Silver, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€93.59
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1815.22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Woops, missed that bit. OP, it would be helpful to know just how much modelling and video editing work you're going to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PuttyPutty

Job. Thanks for the builds gents. I'll probably go with the latter build but with a monitor with a better response time than 8ms. Probably a 2ms monitor to enhance gaming. Could I install my OS onto the SSD and have it boot from there, while storing my files on my hard disc? How efficient is a 6GB SSD? I hear they're quite quick.

PuttyPutty wrote: »
    Job. Thanks for the builds gents. I'll probably go with the latter build but with a monitor with a better response time than 8ms. Probably a 2ms monitor to enhance gaming. Could I install my OS onto the SSD and have it boot from there, while storing my files on my hard disc? How efficient is a 6GB SSD? I hear they're quite quick.

I doubt you would notice 8ms, the tv you have now probably has a higher response time than that especially since the tv will have high input lag.
    I picked the IPS panel because of it's superior colour reproduction which would be perfect for editing but also suitable for gaming. If you are sure you want a lower response time maybe look into the 120hz gaming monitors but the colour will not be as good as a IPS panel.

OS + programs you use often on the SSD and normal HDD for file storage is actually the best way to have things setup.
    An SSD is considerably faster , I'm not sure how much faster exactly but you will notice a big difference booting windows and loading programs. Many programs open almost instantly.

Advertisement