Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Shenshen wrote: »
    What about the cholesterol in the egg and the sugar in the fruit?

The cholesterol in eggs thing was disproved about 20 years ago and as long as you don't eat loads of fruit then you are getting essential vitamins and minerals for your sugar unlike flour where you are getting very little nutrition at all.

If you think flour is fine and fruit and eggs are bad for you I would suggest reading up on the subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

How can something be good but not healthy?

Dominos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The cholesterol in eggs thing was disproved about 20 years ago and as long as you don't eat loads of fruit then you are getting essential vitamins and minerals for your sugar unlike flour where you are getting very little nutrition at all.

If you think flour is fine and fruit and eggs are bad for you I would suggest reading up on the subject.

I don't think eggs nor fruit are bad for you in moderation, but I happen to think the same about flour.

I can't help thinking that if flour contained "very little nutrition at all" people wouldn't have been relying on it for their main source of carbohydrates for centuries.
    But whatever floats your boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Well, according to the interwebs, the sugar-free ones apparently are good for your teeth.

Not sure you could say the same about sunflower seeds on s***

sugar free gummy bears aren't gummy bears. they're horrible things that are made to look like gummy bears so you are tricked into buying a packet and then you realise they taste like absolute ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't think eggs nor fruit are bad for you in moderation, but I happen to think the same about flour.

I can't help thinking that if flour contained "very little nutrition at all" people wouldn't have been relying on it for their main source of carbohydrates for centuries.
    But whatever floats your boat.

Again, I suggest you do some reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Again, I suggest you do some reading.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done years ago when turning to a vegetarian diet.
    I try not to fall for food-hypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

flour isn't healthy in any way shape or form.

Ah, the health Nazis arrive. No doubt you have some favourite superfood to suggest instead. Mung beans? Lentils?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Ah, the health Nazis arrive. No doubt you have some favourite superfood to suggest instead. Mung beans? Lentils?

god, you're right. I shouldn't have mentioned health. It's not like the OP asked about it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Too much of anything is usually bad for you. A balanced diet is what should be aimed for. Sieg heil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

You can make ridiculous tasty HEALTHY pancakes :D
    For Any one interested try this.

40g oats (put in food processor and blend: this is optional)
    2 egg whites.
    1 scoop Whey (optional, you can add a 1-2 tsp of Coco powder instead)
    2 tsp cottage cheese
    1/2 a mashed banana
    20g desiccated coconut

Blend all ingredients in food processor or else just whisk all together.

Fry in some coconut oil until golden brown and top with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries.. yummmmm :cool:

Nicest pancakes I've ever eating

edit: Flour isn't good/healthy in any way, shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Omg totes embarrassing grammar, absolute mortes here :p flour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Omg totes embarrassing grammar, absolute mortes here :p flour :)

You sound like Rosie Webster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What you need to do is have two large but thin pancakes, a couple of slices of rashers, and some good quality maple syrup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    You can make ridiculous tasty HEALTHY pancakes :D
    For Any one interested try this.

40g oats (put in food processor and blend: this is optional)
    2 egg whites.
    1 scoop Whey (optional, you can add a 1-2 tsp of Coco powder instead)
    2 tsp cottage cheese
    1/2 a mashed banana
    20g desiccated coconut

Blend all ingredients in food processor or else just whisk all together.

Fry in some coconut oil until golden brown and top with some Greek yogurt and fresh berries.. yummmmm :cool:

Nicest pancakes I've ever eating

edit: Flour isn't good/healthy in any way, shape or form.

Where's the bacon?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^^^

Fuck that healthy shit.

Pancakes. The easy way. The I don't have to measure a damn thing way.

Breaks all the eggs you got in a jug - beat that shit with a folk or a immersion blender if you are posh. Sieve in some flour, keep stirring, keep adding flour. When this is too damn stiff to stir, work it out with some milk, keep adding milk until it is thick but you are starting to see some bubbles. Add a big pinch of salt. Add about the cup of your hand of baking powder (Sodium bicarbonate)* Stir that shit and leave it alone while you get the pan hot, and I mean HOT.

*(If you don't have Baking Powder, it's ok, no-one has that stuff. Find a beer you didn't drink last night. Use some beer as well as the milk, even coca-cola will work)

Pour in a dollop the size of a wagon wheel (remember them) or beer mat if you are young. Let it cook till the bubbles on top burst. Flip. cook the other side for another amount of time, not very long.

Cover in bacon and maple syrup (use the real stuff you cheap mofo - the fake stuff is shit)

Share with your hungover friends, eat until the pancakes cause you physical pain, then your hangover is gone.

You are fucking welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

When did flour become inherently unhealthy? :eek:

Most people have never eaten natural wheat. We eat 'dwarf wheat'.
    Dwarf wheat has been modified and cross bred for a higher yield and shorted growing season but lost much of it's nutrition value while containing unnaturally high levels of gluten (inflammatory), amylopectin A (a extra fattening starch) and polypeptides (exorphins which cause cravings).

Dwarf wheat also has a short root system so it can't absorb as much minerals from the soil. Therefore we get less nutrients with it and get more fat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html
    What about the cholesterol in the egg and the sugar in the fruit?

The sugar in fruit is fine if you eat it as it is, but not if you squeeze it out.
    Generally natural foods are nutritionally balanced to allow your body to absorb its contents.For example fruits contain fibres which help your body to regulate how much sugar it absorbs and to absorb it slowly. (that low GMI thing...)

If you just squeeze out the juice your loosing the fibres in the flesh and your body gets a sugar rush from the fruit sugars cos it absorbs too much at once just like in a soft drink. The excess sugar is then converted by the body into fat.

Same goes for refined and processed foods which are lacking the natural balance. And sadly most health foods are overly processed and are just as bad if not worse as the regular products. Also try to avoid gluten free or diet products. They're always hiding something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Would people consider pancakes to be a good breakfast.

FÚCK, no.

FÚCK, no.

Correct. Pancakes are a fucking AWESOME breakfast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oat pancakes are yummy

Good breakfast, yes.
    Healthy breakfast, no.

Unless you usually bake your pancakes in the oven rather than pan-frying them?

The flour is the worst part, so frying them doesn't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Most people have never eaten natural wheat. We eat 'dwarf wheat'.
    Dwarf wheat has been modified and cross bred for a higher yield and shorted growing season but lost much of it's nutrition value while containing unnaturally high levels of gluten (inflammatory), amylopectin A (a extra fattening starch) and polypeptides (exorphins which cause cravings).

Dwarf wheat also has a short root system so it can't absorb as much minerals from the soil. Therefore we get less nutrients with it and get more fat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html

The sugar in fruit is fine if you eat it as it is, but not if you squeeze it out.
    Generally natural foods are nutritionally balanced to allow your body to absorb its contents.For example fruits contain fibres which help your body to regulate how much sugar it absorbs and to absorb it slowly. (that low GMI thing...)

If you just squeeze out the juice your loosing the fibres in the flesh and your body gets a sugar rush from the fruit sugars cos it absorbs too much at once just like in a soft drink. The excess sugar is then converted by the body into fat.

Same goes for refined and processed foods which are lacking the natural balance. And sadly most health foods are overly processed and are just as bad if not worse as the regular products. Also try to avoid gluten free or diet products. They're always hiding something else.

The fruit we eat is no more natural than our wheat. It's all been selectively bred for high yield and high sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

MadsL wrote: »
    ^^^

Fuck that healthy shit.

Pancakes. The easy way. The I don't have to measure a damn thing way.

Breaks all the eggs you got in a jug - beat that shit with a folk or a immersion blender if you are posh. Sieve in some flour, keep stirring, keep adding flour. When this is too damn stiff to stir, work it out with some milk, keep adding milk until it is thick but you are starting to see some bubbles. Add a big pinch of salt. Add about the cup of your hand of baking powder (Sodium bicarbonate)* Stir that shit and leave it alone while you get the pan hot, and I mean HOT.

*(If you don't have Baking Powder, it's ok, no-one has that stuff. Find a beer you didn't drink last night. Use some beer as well as the milk, even coca-cola will work)

Pour in a dollop the size of a wagon wheel (remember them) or beer mat if you are young. Let it cook till the bubbles on top burst. Flip. cook the other side for another amount of time, not very long.

Cover in bacon and maple syrup (use the real stuff you cheap mofo - the fake stuff is shit)

Share with your hungover friends, eat until the pancakes cause you physical pain, then your hangover is gone.

You are fucking welcome.

Legend :D

MadsL wrote: »
    Correct. Pancakes are a fucking AWESOME breakfast.

Oh, pancakes are great, just not healthy. :cool: Love them as a treat.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The fruit we eat is no more natural than our wheat. It's all been selectively bred for high yield and high sugar content.

True, but it's not processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

hardCopy wrote: »

That's a theory and not a proven fact. Modern dwarf wheat was created in Mexico in the 1950s (or 60s) in just 10 years. That's well documented.

Wild fruits that were never tendered or grown by humans in the jungles of Africa are often found to be just as sweet as fruits known to us in the West, similar variations in fibre and fructose content. Interesting link;

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/05/31/wild-and-ancient-fruit/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I am a pancake advocate. Fucck this pessimistic nonsense OP, eat pancakes til they come out your ears, and be happy.

I am a pancake advocate. Fucck this pessimistic nonsense OP, eat pancakes til they come out your ears, and be happy.

If this happens, you are doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They are a very popular breakfast in the US and it's not doing them any harm....

• Advertisement
Advertisement