Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Unique Holday Experiences

Options
  • 24-04-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Trying to decide where to go for the summer and do something exciting. Not really interested in going to Spain to lie on the beach

So what's the most exciting/unique holidays you've been on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kingsenny wrote: »
    Trying to decide where to go for the summer and do something exciting. Not really interested in going to Spain to lie on the beach

Go to Spain and throw tomatoes at people. http://www.latomatina.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Every time someone mentions Prague they do so in a good way. I've never been myself but I've mates who passed through it and it comes highly recommended.

My own holidays have predominantly been "family holidays" and cliché "lads' holidays" none of which were particularly unique or interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

contiki do great holidays, couldnt recommend them enough, they look after everything bar flights, and they can organise those too if you want, its great beign able to tailor a trip to your own budget and schedule : www.contiki.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Eating live octopus was fairly unique and pretty tasty too may I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

For different reasons the following were memorable:
    First time in New York.
    Second time in New York after a J1 summer working. Just brilliant.
    Holiday where we got engaged. We kept it to ourselves for ages so we were in a bubble the whole time.
    Honeymoon, we travelled around a lot and tried loads of new things. Just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingsenny

Eating live octopus was fairly unique and pretty tasty too may I add.

Where did you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Do some bullsh!t 'charity' holiday and get people to pay for you to climb Kilimanjaro.

It's quite climbable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Croatia is worth checking out, lot on offer.. music festivals, club scene, weather.. don't think it's too expensive either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Flotilla holiday on Coatia's Dalamtian coast - you don't need to be an experienced sailor. Pootling down the coast from marina to marina, loads of brilliant villages/towns to see. Food, wine and weather all excellent.

http://www.sunsail.eu/flotilla-sailing/destinations/mediterranean/croatia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Best ever was 3 months in OZ

A close 2nd though was the med cruise

Id deffo recommend a cruise

• Advertisement

I think the Galapagos islands would be an amazing place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Where did you do that?

Korea. Ate some other god awful shîte there too like pigs intestine and blow fish. (that's the fish that nearly kills H.Simpson)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamesjoyce1710

some great places i've visited are

south africa - garden route and cape town
    New Zealand - SOuth Island
    US - Cali coast san fan to San deaigo
    South east asia - Loas & Cambodia
    Oz - West coast

would highly recommend these for an adventure hol, drinking wouldnt be a priority for these type of hols so not particularly popular with irish people but if you can get over then non-sessioning they are all amazing experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Go to Longford and suffer from depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We cycled across Italy last year, fantastic way to spend a couple of weeks. I'd recommend a different country though, Italy isn't very well set up for cycle touring. Netherlands, Denmark, France would probably be better options, maybe on one of the EuroVelo routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Go to Barcelona. they have legal coffeeshops now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

Lachinch , brilliant place altogether lol , bring your own sunshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I always thought that the holidays where there is no real plan were always the best.

When I was 20 I hitchhiked through Germany and Italy, took a boat to Tunisia, hitched through the Sahara in Algeria and eventually down to Ghana and across to Dakar in Senegal. That was 1991, very safe, very strange, very interesting. I met people who had never seen a white person before, not even on a TV, just seen pictures of them in books.

I've bought old cars and vans on a good few occasions and driven them down to sub Saharan Africa, had some great experiences on the way. I've also driven to Lebanon, Syria and Jordan back in the 90's. Every time I'd sell the car at the other end, sometimes for a profit, sometimes I was lucky to get the price of the plane ticket back.

Met some great people and had great times, met some scumbags and had some hairy experiences but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. had planned a similar trip to Central Asia and possibly into Afghanistan a couple of years ago but the security situation deteriorated too much. (Still on my bucket list).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I wasn't mad on Prague at all, far too sleazy, however Budapest and in particular the Island of Hvar in Croatia was amazing. Spilt was a fantastic town as well.

Go to Barcelona. they have legal coffeeshops now ;)

Barcelona is a kip.

• Advertisement

Malta is lovely if your looking for low key

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ScumLord wrote: »
    Go to Spain and throw tomatoes at people. http://www.latomatina.org/

Was at that a few years ago.. fcuking mental.

And tomatoes are not the only things being flung around. Plenty of little scobes pelting stones etc at people.

Still fun though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The idea of travelling slow by Cargo ship really appeals. It's very doable too, typically working out at about €100 per day.

India to Malaysia, French Polynesia or even Long Beach to Japan are just some of the myriad routes available.

It's on the long finger for practical reasons but a little like the journey itself, I'll get there, eventually.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I hear Darfur is good at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

North Korea. No, seriously I'd love to go for a morbid sense of curiosity.

Failing that I'd highly recommend Japan, fantastic blend of culture and modernity with plenty of craziness. Definitely go again if I had half a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mosney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Russia. People are d1cks but Moscow and St Petes are worth exploring. Most efficient subway service I've ever encountered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Croatia is worth checking out, lot on offer.. music festivals, club scene, weather.. don't think it's too expensive either
    I've been to Croatia (Opatija and the Istrian peninsula) it was very busy and while not as expensive as here it wasn't cheap either. I've been to Slovenia a couple of times now (it's right next door to Croatia) and it is much quieter but also much cheaper (a pint of the local beer is only about 2 euro). They have great walkng and cycling there in the Triglav National Park. You can cycle or walk into Italy or Austria very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I hear Roscommon is AMAZING this time of year

• Advertisement

Japan was good but didn't get to see enough of it. Hated Turkey but was in Izmir with work not touristy places . Japan is long haul but you could do a few places that side of the world while your out there

Advertisement