Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Even if he did, I don't think anybody wants to watch it. Private moment between himself and his family.
    If he agreed to it then it's fine. It might be a financial decision made by him and his family for sponsorship reasons. I didn't even see it but I'm sure many companies would want to sponsor a nice family man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

eagle eye wrote:
    If he agreed to it then it's fine. It might be a financial decision made by him and his family for sponsorship reasons. I didn't even see it but I'm sure many companies would want to sponsor a nice family man.

I doubt he had much say in it. A minute or two would have been enough. It got a bit uncomfortable after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

It's happened after every event since lockdown and just part and parcel of winning.

I doubt many players have an issue, is there much difference to a family running onto a green after winning?

Most likely they are contracted to have to do it in some way or there is a general agreement it will be done if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Exactly wrote:
    Most likely they are contracted to have to do it in some way or there is a general agreement it will be done if possible.

I doubt it is anything contractual. The idea is nice - a virtual hug from wife/kids and why wouldn't the winner want to.

They were just a bit uncomfortable doing it in public and Sky should have pulled it quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Off event this week, staying in Cyprus.
    Normal stroke play the first two days but only 32 and ties qualify for Saturday and they reset the scores. Top 16 and ties make Sunday and they reset the scores again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

eagle eye wrote: »
    Off event this week, staying in Cyprus.
    Normal stroke play the first two days but only 32 and ties qualify for Saturday and they reset the scores. Top 16 and ties make Sunday and they reset the scores again.

I think it's good to have different formats but this one seems a bit convoluted to me. If they're resetting the scores going into Sunday why not just make it a one day tournament altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

El Sueño wrote: »
    I think it's good to have different formats but this one seems a bit convoluted to me. If they're resetting the scores going into Sunday why not just make it a one day tournament altogether?

because they cut the field

its kinda like the fed ex cup tour championship i suppose

Seve OB wrote: »
    because they cut the field

its kinda like the fed ex cup tour championship i suppose

In fairness I do like the idea of a one day shootout. I feel sorry for the golf tipsters this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

In fairness I do like the idea of a one day shootout. I feel sorry for the golf tipsters this week

Tough one to get OK, Shubanker Sharma maybe at 50s. Strange format, but why not. Everyone knows it's a bit of a novelty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I’ve just been watching the Joberg Open. This Nienaber guy seems to be something special. He’s driving the ball 400 yards. Even allowing for altitude that’s some powerful hitting. He’s a good putter as well. And he’s only 20 years old.
    Look out Bryson and DJ, you have competition!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    He’s driving the ball 400 yards.

Ah fu*k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I’ve just been watching the Joberg Open. This Nienaber guy seems to be something special. He’s driving the ball 400 yards. Even allowing for altitude that’s some powerful hitting. He’s a good putter as well. And he’s only 20 years old.
    Look out Bryson and DJ, you have competition!

Nice of sky to award him the tournament after 52 holes, have to watch it with the sound turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Any idea what’s going on with this week's Tour Championship? I thought it was supposed to be limited to the top 60 in the Race to Dubai, but there are 65 players listed, including 4 who aren’t even in the top hundred, plus others going down as far as number 74 in the rankings. Makes a bit of a joke of the whole thing.

And does anyone know why Shane Lowry isn’t playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Actually, I just did what I should have done in the first place and Googled it. https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/lowry-puts-family-first-and-skips-european-tours-race-to-dubai-finale-39838471.html

No explanation given for why they decided to parachute in four players who were nowhere near qualifying. Nor why they chose to have 65 competitors rather than 60 (or 64, if you include the 4 invitees).

abff wrote: »
    And does anyone know why Shane Lowry isn’t playing?

He's preparing for the 2021 season. Ryder Cup qualification kicks off again in January. He is more focused on that and getting out hitting the ground running in January.

Apparently Morikawa could win the Race to Dubai this week despite never playing an event on European soil. That's madness

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

El Sueño wrote: »
    Apparently Morikawa could win the Race to Dubai this week despite never playing an event on European soil. That's madness

I agree. There should be a requirement to play a minimum number of regular European Tour events in order to qualify for Dubai, which is, after all, the ultimate prize event for the European Tour.
    Alternatively there could be a greater weighting allocated to the regular European Tour events in the qualification for Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I agree. There should be a requirement to play a minimum number of regular European Tour events in order to qualify for Dubai, which is, after all, the ultimate prize event for the European Tour.
    Alternatively there could be a greater weighting allocated to the regular European Tour events in the qualification for Dubai.

I guess rules where flexible this year with nobody had a clue how many events would be played this season.

I was wondering was Shane not playing due to restrictions he would have to do if he returned back to Ireland.

He is playing Europe or USA come Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Sad to see that not a single Irish player at this, this week. Add to that the fact that not a single Irish player qualified to play in the challenge tour finale either a couple of weeks back.

Ok, so some opted out this week, but its been a steady decline for Irish players on the European Tour for some time. If you look at our players who play european tour this year, bar caldwell (111), the rest are in the 280 -320 place on the Race to Dubai.

A year to forget, lets hope that we can get some good Irish golfers coming through.

But I suppose we have had it good for some time, maybe this was bound to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I guess rules where flexible this year with nobody had a clue how many events would be played this season.

I was wondering was Shane not playing due to restrictions he would have to do if he returned back to Ireland.

He is playing Europe or USA come Jan?

Shane planning to play Hong Kong where he finished 2nd last January. He will then play in Abu Dhabi where he won in 2019. Then onto Saudi Arabia where he will tee up alongside Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau.

He has decided not to play in Dubai this week for 2 reasons. One he would have to self isolate for 14 days, upon arrival to Dublin. That would greatly impact his preparations for the new year.

With no ryder cup points available at this event, Shane felt that it was a risk not worth taking, if he were to go to Dubai and all the logistical nightmares that come with playing abroad at this time of year.

I honestly believe that Shane will qualify for the European team come Whistling Straits time next September, his ball striking has been very good in the last few months or so in particular. Please God that he can find a good putting stroke that he can rely on because if he can, I can see Shane have a brilliant 2021. I have every belief in him.

This weeks event looks very intriguing and potentially an exciting finish to the Race to Dubai season with Victor Perez, as things stand in pole position to claim the prestigious double of tournament and R2D champion. Plenty of top names behind with Tommy Fleetwood, Matthew Fitzpatrick and Patrick Reed among a host of players right in the mix after day one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Serious start from Fitzy.

Surprised lowry giving this one a miss, I know there's no Ryder cup points but still a big one to win and a chance for players to jump ahead of him. If Fitzy wins this and becomes race to dubai champion it will be hard for Harrington to ignore.

Don't agree with invites still gain points in race. Viktor starts 113 and shooting up.

Viktor another one who could make it to Harringtons team

Canter double on 17 hands Westwood race win unless he eagles last

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Reed’s short game is insane. How he shot under par the last two days with his poor long game is incredible

Reed’s short game is insane. How he shot under par the last two days with his poor long game is incredible

Yeah short game phenomenal.

Great achievement from Westwood, race to dubai champion at 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Happy for Lee. Always liked him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Delighted for Corky. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy

Advertisement